• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS: GBA Ambassador games are revealed and up in all regions

Madao

i have 8/10 of them. i didn't have kirby and the amazing mirror (i actually passed on it since i never finished the first GBA one) and Fire emblem (my brother used to play those but, strangely, he never got the one that the ambassadors are getting and he had the GC, Wii and first GBA ones)

but at least this confirms that F-Zero is not fully forgotten by nintendo. i would have preferred Climax (the 3rd one since it was japan only) but MV is one of the better ones for time attack.

also, lol at anyone expecting zero Mission there. it contains NES metroid as an unlockable. if it was coming, NES metroid couldn't be in the NES list (or they would have effectively robbed everyone)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
To be more specific, it includes every single SNES track. It is easily one of the best unlockables in any Mario Kart game ever.

To be even more specific it remixes the SC tracks with the layout on the SNES game. Somethings don't make it in like the Thwomps on Rainbow Road.

Still find it funny people feel angry they bought a 3DS early.

CoolS

I'm so excited for Zelda and Kirby alone. Never played those two in the day, and Kirby is fucking expensive nowadays, so I'm really happy. The rest (except F-Zero, most diasappointing launch game ever) is pretty much just gravy on the delicious pile. Awesome gravy :)

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
That's a seriously fantastic list. Some of the best titles on the system, hands down.

Mr Rivuz

What a great news, can't wait to download these games.
I hope it wont take too long to see them here, how much time did it take for the 10 NES games to be available for download out of Japan?

Metal-Geo

Fucking Wario Land 4.

That game was the shiznite. I beat that game on any difficulty. Goddammit, I even found all the CDs and gold-crowned all the levels.

And I'm ready to do it again. <3

Great list overall!

That's a pretty awesome list. I've got four of the games already, but it's still pretty exciting.

Random Thoughts
-Very happy to see Fire Emblem getting some love, I hope it brings in a lot more fans. Please keep supporting this series NoA.
-And F-Zero getting some love too, sweet. Thank goodness it's not any of the games based on the horrifying F-Zero anime.
-And I'll finally get to play Super Circuit. :D

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
I "can't wait" for the inevitable Fire Emblem OT with GAF'S FE elitist all-stars

Madao

As a huge F-Zero fan, I'm disappointed they decided to go with the worst game in the series. GP Legend/Falcon Legend may have been rather easy, but it controlled far better, and F-Zero Climax was spectacular, but it wasn't released outside Japan so I guess we wouldn't have gotten that one even if Japan did.

wat

F-Zero GP legend is the worst game in the series by far. it has no redeeming qualities compared to any of the other games. it does the same cheap trick as the original by doubling the course selection by doing minor edits to the tracks but for the original, it was understandable since it was a SNES launch game. this one was just shameless. it didn't have a track editor like FZX or Climax. it was the easiest of all of them (it doesn't even have master mode and expert was easy). it handles like MV mostly so no big step up from there and the visuals look like a launch game (Climax came 1 year later and looked way better)

MV was pretty good, especially for time attack which is the bread and butter of F-Zero replay value and challenge and it is also the hardest game in the series (harder than GX. this game is less forgiving even after knowing all the techniques to drive well). the game looked nice for a launch game and it came with brand new characters, music and worlds to give the series a brand new feel (it was almost a reboot). i've seen a lot of people hate it because it doesn't use traditional F-Zero characters and stuff but that's not so bad after the craptacular GPL that came after it.

Spike

I own all these games, but it doesn't get me down.

Hey NoA, how about doing something right for once this gen.

1mother3box.jpg

0378.jpg

FzeroClimax_box.jpg

I know, I know...

That's a pretty good collection of games. It's definitely better than the NES games. I would have preferred Zelda LttP over Minish Cap though. I really want to replay LttP and would like to do it on 3DS. I was also hoping for Super Mario Bros 3 with all the EReader levels unlocked.

The only games I don't already own on GBA on that list are Kirby, Yoshi's Island, and Mario VS DK. I'm looking forward to trying Mario VS DK out after playing DK94.

Famassu

A great list, yet still one that makes me feel that ALL of the 20 ambassador games should've been GBA games so we could've gotten Golden Sun 1 & 2, Advance Wars 1 & 2, one Pokemon, Kuru Kuru Kururin, Mario & Luigi, Metroid: Zero Mission & stuff instead of some dated NES games.

Madao

A great list, yet still one that makes me feel that ALL of the 20 ambassador games should've been GBA games so we could've gotten Golden Sun 1 & 2, Advance Wars 1 & 2, one Pokemon, Kuru Kuru Kururin, Mario & Luigi, Metroid: Zero Mission & stuff instead of some dated NES games.

at least 10 SNES games so they wouldn't have wasted spots on a SNES-to-GBA port in the GBA lineup. we could have had AlttP, YI and Super Metroid that way, and if Zero Mission had made it, we would have had NES Metroid either way (and coupled with Metroid 2 on VC, the entire 2D Metroid series would be playable on a single system)
of course, that would be like getting Mother 3 localized but one can dream.

BooJoh

wat

F-Zero GP legend is the worst game in the series by far. it has no redeeming qualities compared to any of the other games. it does the same cheap trick as the original by doubling the course selection by doing minor edits to the tracks but for the original, it was understandable since it was a SNES launch game. this one was just shameless. it didn't have a track editor like FZX or Climax. it was the easiest of all of them (it doesn't even have master mode and expert was easy). it handles like MV mostly so no big step up from there and the visuals look like a launch game (Climax came 1 year later and looked way better)

MV was pretty good, especially for time attack which is the bread and butter of F-Zero replay value and challenge and it is also the hardest game in the series (harder than GX. this game is less forgiving even after knowing all the techniques to drive well). the game looked nice for a launch game and it came with brand new characters, music and worlds to give the series a brand new feel (it was almost a reboot). i've seen a lot of people hate it because it doesn't use traditional F-Zero characters and stuff but that's not so bad after the craptacular GPL that came after it.

To each his own I guess. I loved Maximum Velocity when it came out. It was my first GBA game and I played it like crazy, but I never could get used to how the vehicles handle in it. GP Legend, for me, was like a love letter to SNES F-Zero (which I played to death when the SNES came out) and I loved every minute of it. Climax is by far my favorite of the GBA F-Zero games though.

Regardless, the inclusion of any F-Zero game can only be a good thing, especially if it's any indication that F-Zero may return one day on 3DS or WiiU.

wazoo

I still find it hard to believe Nintendo never got Yoshi's Island on VC, it seems like the kind of game they'd 'bother to make an effort' over if there ever was gonna be one, I doubt the FX chip is thaaaaaat hard to emulate properly lol... is it? Other games that required extra work made it on VC, so weird that YI didn't.

Yoshi island on GBA was recreated from scratch. I think they have some problems to emulate the FX chip in the SNES version.

Still a shame Yoshi Island is not on Wii VC.

Question.

I remember reading maybe two months ago that the GBA games wont have a sleep mode. When you close your 3DS, the top screen will still be on. Is this true?

Spike

Really solid list. An Advance Wars title instead of that Fire Emblem could be better though

I have to agree. Why bother releasing any Fire Emblem, period? NoA never brought the second DS remake over here, so why bother teasing fans with this one. That is assuming that they are bringing over the exact same games as they did with the NES ones.

Wichu

I'm halfway through Minish Cap already; looks like I'll be restarting. And my brother recently found our Yoshi's Island GBA cartridge, too.

All in all, I'm very happy with these; I'd have liked some love for Golden Sun, though :(

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Mario Kart Super Circuit is my favourite handheld mario kart. Second only to the SNES version overall for me, so thats an amazing freebie.

and I really liked Minish Cap so thats a bonus.

Madao

To each his own I guess. I loved Maximum Velocity when it came out. It was my first GBA game and I played it like crazy, but I never could get used to how the vehicles handle in it. GP Legend, for me, was like a love letter to SNES F-Zero (which I played to death when the SNES came out) and I loved every minute of it. Climax is by far my favorite of the GBA F-Zero games though.

Regardless, the inclusion of any F-Zero game can only be a good thing, especially if it's any indication that F-Zero may return one day on 3DS or WiiU.

to me, it felt like MV was what the SNES game would be gameplay-wise accomplished on better hardware. it uses the same 1 boost per lap system after all, while GPlegend used the FZX system with energy = boost and relies on blast turns a lot (tapping the accelerator button to take corners, though MV overdid it). it also has the machine progression where the last machine you get is the best one by far even though it is the hardest to control properly.

i'm more of an FZX man myself but MV felt the best of the GBA group. i also had it since launch since it was my first GBA game.

there's hope that F-Zero returns someday. if not, this will be the worst tease of all time (worse than Fire Emblem)

@MUWANdo

Banned
I have to agree. Why bother releasing any Fire Emblem, period? NoA never brought the second DS remake over here, so why bother teasing fans with this one. That is assuming that they are bringing over the exact same games as they did with the NES ones.

Promotion for the upcoming 3DS game, perhaps.

Top Bottom