• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS: GBA Ambassador games are revealed and up in all regions

It's a real shame that Kirby ATM and MKSC won't be playable in multiplayer. That's where they truly shine the brightest!

Here's hoping that Nintendo come to their senses soon and put these games up for download by everyone, with the full feature set (suspend saves, save states, sleep mode support, multiplayer etc) in place!

Minish Cap has never grabbed me for some reason. Probably because it wasn't made by nintendo!

Those people who worked at Flagship/Capcom now work within Nintendo EAD. They've worked on the DS Zeldas and Skyward Sword! (If you've played this and Minish Cap, the influences that MC had on SS should be glaringly obvious!)

Sadist

really?!
never knew that - I can't believe Capcom developed it
is this well known?
Yes, it's by Flagship. They were disbanded though a year(?) after MC though.

OT: Man, great list. I'm especially happy about Fire Emblem, here's hoping they will continue to support the franchise in the west. I love me some Fire Emblem.

pramath

Banned
really?!
never knew that - I can't believe Capcom developed it
is this well known?

The Capcom logo is the first thing you see when you boot the game up.
Anyway, holy fuck. Like holy fuck.
Nintendo, you have outdone yourselves. This makes up for the shit that was the NES half of the program.

That is one hell of a list, and according to popular opinion, it also represents which franchises Nintendo will push on the 3DS. Which means I'm very happy to see F-Zero and Fire Emblem on there. No Golden Sun, Advance Wars or Mario and Luigi is a bummer, and I wish there had been a Pokemon game, but Minish Cap! Seriously... MINISH FUCKING CAP!!!

Boken

Banned
There are always better choices but this list is solid, and theyre all great games.

AMBASSADOR GAMES SCREWED OVER THE PRICE DROP YEA

Have:
F-Zero: Maximum Velocity
Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island
Metroid Fusion
WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgames

Want:
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
Kirby & The Amazing Mirror
Mario Kart: Super Circuit
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Wario Land 4

Do not want:
Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap

5 out of 10 ain't bad

ShinNL

I just wanna say I can't believe I get to marvel those amazing FE sprites again on current-gen hardware. *tear*

fireemblemwall.jpg

<3
Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island
WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgames
Wario Land 4

:)
Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap
Mario Kart: Super Circuit

Never Played
F-Zero: Maximum Velocity
Metroid Fusion
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
Kirby & The Amazing Mirror
Mario vs. Donkey Kong

Honestly, could've ditched Zelda and Mario Kart for Advance Wars and Mario & Luigi but still... amazing selection. I don't even have time for all the games I have now!

FE sprites = top tier.

Also OG WarioWare = ftw, I remember cleaning that game out, was so in love with it, so unique.

This whole thing is awesome! GBA! :D

Was thinking a Mario sports game (Golf/Tennis) would have been cool too, but maybe we'll see a GBC ver on the eShop some time........ in the next year or three.

Translated ver of the original GBA FE was a little much to expect but that would have pwned too lol.

Nintendo Japan should have offered Mother 1+2 or 3 to them and forced Reggie to change a title just to troll us. We'd get Yoshi Topsy Turvy instead or something.

What a fantastic list - I've owned all of them besides Wario Land 4. I wish they would have had the Mario Tennis game, but honestly, it's hard to complain when getting so many quality games.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
So it seems that Japan and Europe will get the games on Dec 16th and it is the same list. I haven't turned on my 3DS but I expect North America to get the same treatment.

Such a great list, I missed out on sacred stones so I am excited for that (if it comes out in Europe/US too). I still play the other game so I have no need for the game on the 3ds unless enhanced/improved. I look forward to playing again Mario Kart Super Circuit as I am almost done with 3 stars on everything on 7.

I've never played a Fire Emblem, is this one any good?

It's the best one to start off with. It was designed for people who've never played a FE game before and serves as the perfect introduction to the series.

It's not the most complex and it is easy compared to other entries in the series, but you couldn't have picked a better game to start off with! (no doubt, that was why they picked Sacred Stones and not FE7. Probably done to get more people into the series for the new 3DS one, it's a good sign that the 3DS one might be localised in that case!)

I like Zero Mission more than Fusion but this set of games is awesome for me as I no longer have a DS lite or GBA SP. I feel they've definitely made up for the scant expensive launch! They should promise an ambassador programme for early Wii U adopters!

Oh shit.. just realised this is Friday! It comes after Thursday.. fun fun fun

Pietepiet

And bad art.

You can't be serious. Minish Cap has some of the best pixel-art on GBA. Hell, it's probably the best looking 2D Zelda.

Really glad to see Kirby & The Amazing Mirror on there. That game is fantastic.
Shame they didn't take this opportunity to pimp Drill Dozer, though. That game needs more love :(

@MUWANdo

Banned
It's a real shame that Kirby ATM and MKSC won't be playable in multiplayer. That's where they truly shine the brightest!

Here's hoping that Nintendo come to their senses soon and put these games up for download by everyone, with the full feature set (suspend saves, save states, sleep mode support, multiplayer etc) in place!

The way they're described on the ambassador FAQ page makes it sound as if they're running in native GBA mode - if so, they're never gonna be able to add any of those features.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
If you had told me 'these games will be given to you for free in 9 months', I would have replied 'are you fucking me?'. Because it took 9 months. Joke.

Actually, that is a point. Mario Kart, Kirby, and F-Zero (and to a lesser degree a few of the other titles like the multiplayer Mario Bros. in Yoshi's Island) are all stuck in single player. That's not the end of the world, but unless something's changed, you're not about to be racing or adventuring with your friends the way you might have on the GBA.

The way they're described on the ambassador FAQ page makes it sound as if they're running in native GBA mode - if so, they're never gonna be able to add any of those features.

Not with these initial quickie releases of course, but if when they actually release them properly as VC titles on the eShop, they'll almost certainly be running in an emulator (meaning that they'll easily be able to add those features. Just like how the NES VC games will be getting upgraded when they launch officially)

F-Zero: Maximum Velocity: this was the launch title one right? seems like an odd choice, i'd rather have tried the one with the cheesy looking story mode, the one with the track creator was jpn exclusive anyway I think. Well it's still F-Zero so I assume its good stuff.

Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island: Already got, i've never played the SNES version so looks like it's still high pitched Yoshi voice and gimped sound quality for me, on the upside it's yoshi's island and extra stages!

Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap: YES! I lent my game (with every unlocked figure!) to someone and never got it back so this is much appreciated.

Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones: Massive yes followed by sudden slight disappointment, I was hoping for FE7 but I guess FE8 will do, I remember the plot and main characters being kind of lame in this one but there's the branching class changes to enjoy again. My actual copy turned out to be counterfeit and wiped its own save data after I finished it so this is still a good choice.

Kirby & The Amazing Mirror: My first kirby game, Kirbymetroidvania is a good choice.

Mario Kart: Super Circuit: Got it, my least favourite mario kart

Mario vs. Donkey Kong: This is new to me, looking forward to it

Metroid Fusion: So very good, I'm always up for replaying this game

Wario Land 4: Borrowed this from someone years ago, it was pretty good so I look forward to playing it again.

WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgames: i've got it but it'll be nice going through the game again, still my favourite Wario Ware.

tsab

Not with these initial quickie releases of course, but if when they actually release them properly as VC titles on the eShop, they'll almost certainly be running in an emulator (meaning that they'll easily be able to add those features. Just like how the NES VC games will be getting upgraded when they launch officially)

There is no indication that the VC GBA game are not the final version. The update thing is only for the VC NES :(

@MUWANdo

Banned

Emulating link cable support with wireless is not a triviality, and even if these games are eventually emulated I would be very surprised if they're ever playable in multiplayer.

F-Zero: Maximum Velocity: this was the launch title one right? seems like an odd choice, i'd rather have tried the one with the cheesy looking story mode, the one with the track creator was jpn exclusive anyway I think. Well it's still F-Zero so I assume its good stuff.

Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island: Already got, i've never played the SNES version so looks like it's still high pitched Yoshi voice and gimped sound quality for me, on the upside it's yoshi's island and extra stages!

Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap: YES! I lent my game (with every unlocked figure!) to someone and never got it back so this is much appreciated.

Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones: Massive yes followed by sudden slight disappointment, I was hoping for FE7 but I guess FE8 will do, I remember the plot and main characters being kind of lame in this one but there's the branching class changes to enjoy again. My actual copy turned out to be counterfeit and wiped its own save data after I finished it so this is still a good choice.

Kirby & The Amazing Mirror: My first kirby game, Kirbymetroidvania is a good choice.

Mario Kart: Super Circuit: Got it, my least favourite mario kart

Mario vs. Donkey Kong: This is new to me, looking forward to it

Metroid Fusion: So very good, I'm always up for replaying this game

Wario Land 4: Borrowed this from someone years ago, it was pretty good so I look forward to playing it again.

WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgames: i've got it but it'll be nice going through the game again, still my favourite Wario Ware.

If you have $3.99 on your eShop account, buy Donkey Kong for the Game Boy. Amazing puzzle-platformer that holds up to this day despite being seventeen years old. Mario Vs. DK is the spiritual sequel and worthy of equal praise.

If you have $3.99 on your eShop account, buy Donkey Kong for the Game Boy. Amazing puzzle-platformer that holds up to this day despite being seventeen years old. Mario Vs. DK is the spiritual sequel and worthy of equal praise.

Oh i'm way ahead of you, I got it when it first went on the e-shop. So the GBA game is a spiritual successor to it? I have the second one on DS was was more like Mario lemmings so I think i'll prefer this puzzle platformer approach

@MUWANdo

Banned
Oh i'm way ahead of you, I got it when it first went on the e-shop. So the GBA game is a spiritual successor to it? I have the second one on DS was was more like Mario lemmings so I think i'll prefer this puzzle platformer approach

The GBA game is kinda half-and-half - there are parts that are more like the original GB game, and there are parts that are similar to the lemmings-esque stuff from the DS games.

Boken

Banned
Even if you already have the game, being able to have it on 3DS is a POSITIVE POINT.

Also WTF @ the minish cap haters.... Even if its not an A+ Zelda game, its better than the average game.

Top Bottom