• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS MiiVerse will not support message exchange between friends or Friend Requests

balgajo

The "parent control" doesn't work when the parents don't know or don't care, or the kid simply find the way to circumvent the lock. And even if is only a single kid who ends up victim of a twisted individual, that's enough to taint the whole thing.

So, far from being a "step behind", this is actually the step on the right direction.

Why do they have to put parent's responsibility on their shoulders?

mario_O

The 3DS already has parental controls for that but according to the news article kids are smart enough to get around that kind of stuff.
You need a password afaik but a suppose Nintendo could try and make it harder to 'get around'? It's also the parents' job to keep an eye on their kids, and not Nintendo's. This is a drastic and lazy way to fix the problem.

Sandfox

Why do they have to put parent's responsibility on their shoulders?

You need a password afaik but a suppose Nintendo could try and make it harder to 'get around'? It's also the parents' job to keep an eye on their kids, and not Nintendo's. This is a drastic and lazy way to fix the problem.

The parents apparently complained from what we've heard and Nintendo seemingly doesn't wants to avoid any kind of potential conflict.

RM8

I'm not even angry anymore. I mean. Why would they do this and not on WiiU? Ugh. Whatever, just keep putting games on the system, I guess. Lol, Nintendo.

How do you block other forms of comunication as facebook, forums, chats, youtube, twitter, blogs, etc...? The account exchange happened in an outside medium, not through 3DS itself.
You obviously can't, but that doesn't mean you should just forgo the feature entirely.

They need to institute a proper account system, complete with stricter parental controls and the ability to ban accounts that abuse the system. Just because they can't (and shouldn't) be accountable for everything, doesn't mean they shouldn't try to be accountable for things in their control. This is just them not even trying.

Sandfox

You obviously can't, but that doesn't mean you should just forgo the feature entirely.

They need to institute a proper account system, complete with the ability to ban accounts that abuse the system. Just because they can't (and shouldn't) be accountable for everything, doesn't mean they shouldn't try to be accountable for things in their control. This is just them not even trying.

Its already possible for people to get banned from Miiverse.

suzu

So what is Miiverse for then? Is it just only posting stuff on different games' community pages? D:

Big-E

Nintendo relies heavily on parents and small children so if their ecosystem is deemed unsafe, the damage done could be huge. While children play Xbox, Pc, and Playstation, they don't position their systems as kid friendly which is why they don't have to worry about these situations. I think they need to get with the online program if they want to grow the business as every year, connectivity between people becomes more and more important.

balgajo

I really don't get the difference between:
Acessing internet via 3DS (facebook, twiiter...) --> being victim of pedophile
Acessing miiverse via 3DS --> being victim of pedophile

Parental control should work for both of them.

EVH

I will never ever understand how parents are able to read the instruction booklet for a fucking HD TV with hundreds of settings and not one for a toy that your children is playing.

And this mentality of Nintendo, the "hey, some people uses knifes not just for cutting but also for killing people, let's ban knifes forever!" is also retarded. But it is something that comes, in part, for not having a good ID system that lets the user behind the abuse being reported, banned from the system and identified by the police.

So, when Miiverse comes to 3DS, do w launch a campaign to allow this features? A few millions more people on miiverse doing this could make them understand...

Mael

I really don't get the difference between:
Acessing internet via 3DS (facebook, twiiter...) --> being victim of pedophile
Acessing miiverse via 3DS --> being victim of pedophile

Parental control should work for both of them.

In your 1rst case, it's on facebook/twitter. It's not happening on Nintendo's space.
The 2nd case is more heavily regulated for a reason.

I have a WiiU and a 3DS so I don't really care, if I want to use one of these 2 features I'll use the WiiU, it's not like I use internet access on 3DS while I'm outside my home anyway (since there's no 3G on 3DS and yes I can tether it to my phone but connexion just suck that way)...

I will never ever understand how parents are able to read the instruction booklet for a fucking HD TV with hundreds of settings and not one for a toy that your children is playing.

And this mentality of Nintendo, the "hey, some people uses knifes not just for cutting but also for killing people, let's ban knifes forever!" is also retarded. But it is something that comes, in part, for not having a good ID system that lets the user behind the abuse being reported, banned from the system and identified by the police.

instruction booklet? have you ever seen most people try to set up a new tv

Why not limit Miiverse acess with parental controls?
One of Nintendo's problems is to think that the whole world is habited by little kids...

Swapnote was limited by parental control. But the kids that got involved with the pedos deactivated it again.

watershed

Banned
For now I'm not bothered by this. Swapnote or messaging should come sooner or later but I just want to see the communities and all the cool screenshots and drawings. To me that's what makes miiverse appealing.

Glass Rebel

I didn't expect otherwise. What happened to that Japanese girl was terrible and you can bet your ass that Nintendo will try everything to cover their butts. That's just what happens when you have such a young userbase with irresponsible parents.

Chindogg

I can't believe some of the responses here.

Nintendo doesn't want any association of their products being used to exploit children, one of their main demographics that so many on GAF love to point out. It's super easy to say "just blame the parents" but let's be honest here.

No one blames the parents. Ever.

A probable scenario in this country: A kid meets a new friend on 3DS. They swap notes and eventually they start to get explicit. Pictures are swapped then the kid is harmed by a pedophile. News spreads of the incident. The headlines read "CHILD EXPLOITED VIA VIDEO GAME SYSTEM." Pundants on every 24 hour news program openly proclaim that the pedophiles were avid gamers and are using the 3DS to exploit children. Nintendo is now the reason why children are being exploited.

How much shit do you think a company like Nintendo could handle with this kind of sensationalist news on every news network for weeks?

Losing Swapnote and features on Miiverse really sucks. But until Nintendo can figure out a way to actually prevent assholes from getting to kids, they have to hedge their bets. They just can't leave things in the hands of parents because parents will never be held responsible for anything in this country.

It's a shitty fact that we honestly can't blame Nintendo on this.

Has there been any mention of whether or not this will combine my friend list for both systems too, or will they remain separate? I want to know if my existing 3DS friends will be able to see my existing Wii U Miiverse scribbles and stuff.

Though if they did that I guess they could run into issues if people have a friend count totalling more than the current limit of 100 across both platforms?

I can't believe some of the responses here.

Nintendo doesn't want any association of their products being used to exploit children, one of their main demographics that so many on GAF love to point out. It's super easy to say "just blame the parents" but let's be honest here.

No one blames the parents. Ever.

A probable scenario in this country: A kid meets a new friend on 3DS. They swap notes and eventually they start to get explicit. Pictures are swapped then the kid is harmed by a pedophile. News spreads of the incident. The headlines read "CHILD EXPLOITED VIA VIDEO GAME SYSTEM." Pundants on every 24 hour news program openly proclaim that the pedophiles were avid gamers and are using the 3DS to exploit children. Nintendo is now the reason why children are being exploited.

How much shit do you think a company like Nintendo could handle with this kind of sensationalist news on every news network for weeks?

Losing Swapnote and features on Miiverse really sucks. But until Nintendo can figure out a way to actually prevent assholes from getting to kids, they have to hedge their bets. They just can't leave things in the hands of parents because parents will never be held responsible for anything in this country.

It's a shitty fact that we honestly can't blame Nintendo on this.

It's terrible because you're right. Perhaps one should lost all hope on such a feature on a nintendo product. In these times where they lose teenagers and young adults, they will focus more and more on children, and therefore will become more and more paranoid towards the internet and online non moderated exchanges between users.
As you say, such a story could potentially be a total disaster to Nintendo.
What I'm wondering, is why haven't they realise that a proper account system would be a protection against that, allowing them to cooperate with the police. Pedos using nintendo hardware are totally impossible to find and to convict...

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
baby steps :(

Can you friend people with nnid outside of miiverse then? or are they introducing it for eshop and miiverse only?

Pikma

Banned
At this point I was supposed to be excited for the update we've been waiting for a year now, but instead I'm scared. It took them a whole year to release an app that will most likely work as a browser just to open an .html page? Really? I can fucking do the same on my phone...

I didn't expect otherwise. What happened to that Japanese girl was terrible and you can bet your ass that Nintendo will try everything to cover their butts. That's just what happens when you have such a young userbase with irresponsible parents.

The parents switched on parental controls, the children switched them off again.

It's also the same reason we don't have Pictochat anymore. Pedos sneaking into cafes and locally chatting up to kids. But you are right; it's the userbase. Sad

Glass Rebel

The parents switched on parental controls, the children switched them off again.

It's also the same reason we don't have Pictochat anymore. Pedos sneaking into cafes and locally chatting up to kids. But you are right; it's the userbase. Sad

I can't check right now, how are parental controls handled on 3DS? 4 digit PIN? Did the kids just punch in every single combination until they got it right (1234 - *ding*)? It shouldn't be that easy to circumvent them and I believe Nintendo needs to communicate this to parents.

And for the record, I wasn't blaming the userbase, it's just that they're relatively easy targets. If a large portion of your customers is kids, you have to take measures to protect them.

PokéKong

Weird how if something like this happens through a more widely used established prevalent medium like phone calls, texting, smartphone internet or plain old PC internet (which is what ACTUALLY HAPPENED, they had to have exchanged friend codes through third part message boards beforehand) no one ever starts associating the blame on those things.

Why does Nintendo have to be more responsible than everyone else? Their target demographic is young, but realistically don't more kids and young teens use smartphones and ipads and PCs than Nintendo products these days? Why isn't Microsoft and Apple having to sweat bullets whenever any online predator incident occurs?

Chindogg

It's terrible because you're right. Perhaps one should lost all hope on such a feature on a nintendo product. In these times where they lose teenagers and young adults, they will focus more and more on children, and therefore will become more and more paranoid towards the internet and online non moderated exchanges between users.
As you say, such a story could potentially be a total disaster to Nintendo.
What I'm wondering, is why haven't they realise that a proper account system would be a protection against that, allowing them to cooperate with the police. Pedos using nintendo hardware are totally impossible to find and to convict...

Perhaps that's exactly what they're working on with NNID moving to 3DS. They couldn't just stop at merging currencies for the eShop, there's just way too much potential for their own services to stop there.

Top Bottom