• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS MiiVerse will not support message exchange between friends or Friend Requests

The parents switched on parental controls, the children switched them off again.

It's also the same reason we don't have Pictochat anymore. Pedos sneaking into cafes and locally chatting up to kids. But you are right; it's the userbase. Sad

Maybe is part Nintendo not making it clear there's a Parental Control Settings or maybe is the parents not setting it up right. But if they have password (like does on 3DS) how can those children switch them off? Are they just mashing passwords until they get it right or is some design failure?

Either way these types of meassure seems drastic when there exists lots of devices that don't cut features because they have proper parental controls. Is another sign of how much out of touch they are in a social media enviroment like is today

On the Wii U, if you're under the age of 13 I think, you can't send and receive Friend Requests like the rest of us can. You have to add Friends via the Friend List and have them add you back - just like adding friends via Friend Codes.

L~A

Hmmm.... that's really disappointing. I hope it's just temporary (ie: didn't have time to add that functionality). You can't add friends or send messages from the web version either, so I wonder if it's not related?

L.O.R.D

question about the new Nintendo ID for 3DS
its gonna like the FC ? i mean after i add my friend .. i must go ask them to add me ?
or just only when add a friend , a request goes from my 3DS to my friend's 3DS ?

question about the new Nintendo ID for 3DS
its gonna like the FC ? i mean after i add my friend .. i must go ask them to add me ?
or just only when add a friend , a request goes from my 3DS to my friend's 3DS ?

To me, it sounds like NNIDs on 3DS are for logging into the eShop and Miiverse only. You'll probably still have to use Friend Codes to add friends.

Jesus Christ guys, stop blaming Nintendo. We have other ways of messaging people anyways. While I wasn't expecting this, I also was quick to forget about the Swapnote thing.
On the other hand, its also possible as someone mentioned that this is a process towards moving to the account based messaging we want. Right now they are getting the NNID associated to a 3ds. In a few months, they'll get the NNID associated to a person, and then after that, when they can trace these incidents to a person, they'll open up messaging.
Its also very surprising that people aren't aware of the fact that a 4 digit pin is completely worthless against a child who is going to have ample opportunity to catch mom or dad being lazy about hiding it.

L~A

To me, it sounds like NNIDs on 3DS are for logging into the eShop and Miiverse only. You'll probably still have to use Friend Codes to add friends.

Certainly looks that way. Not sure it's something they decided, or something they didn't manage to work out. Maybe they didn't want to get rid of Friends Code, since it's already been used for almost 3 years now?

I'm starting to believe there's only one guy working on that stuff, and he's also the one porting Virtual Console games on Wii U - 3DS (yeah, I know I already said that in a past message :p).

So, I heard about this and threw together a quick chart for everyone. I heard there might be a paid app in the future, so I added that to the chart. It looks like they want to push the Wii U in all honesty. So, this isn't just security, it's "marketing."

hitchhikersquickguide.png

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Are they adding system-wide screenshots, any word on that?

With if supporting offline message writing does that mean screenshots can be saved offline? Thus removing the purpose to make a post to post screenshots.

Now if only we could screenshots without having NNID and full eShop use without NNID (I want my 3DS region locked as it is now but would prefer not to have to choose between screenshots and that)

For those that say friend requests can't be done outside of codes... in Pokemon X Y you can interact and add randomers as friends when you've interacted to a certain level. Guess it's one rule for some, another for others.

I'm just glad it's coming all, thought it'd be either delayed or postponed indefinitely.

EDIT: Wait... we get screenshots?

J-Law-Woo-GIF.gif

rpmurphy

By the way, can you post messages to your own stream instead of on the communities (this was added to the Wii U Miiverse recently), or will we have to wait on that?

Ganondolf

this is a well thought out safety measure and i have no problem with this.

the reason you can send messages & friend requests on the wiiu you is that the home console is linked up to the tv and parents can see whats going on. the problem with the 3ds is the children can (after bypassing parental controls) send messages to random people and become friends with random people how could turn out to be pedos without the parents having any knowledge as they would assume the parential controls are in place.

i am happy to lose a few features to protect children from these monsters.

this is a well thought out safety measure and i have no problem with this.

the reason you can send messages & friend requests on the wiiu you is that the home console is linked up to the tv and parents can see whats going on. the problem with the 3ds is the children can (after bypassing parental controls) send messages to random people and become friends with random people how could turn out to be pedos without the parents having any knowledge as they would assume the parential controls are in place.

i am happy to lose a few features to protect children from these monsters.

As per the graphic I posted. (Images = Screenshots), those two features aren't even present in the other iterations of MiiVerse. They are exclusive to the Wii U MiiVerse.

For those that say friend requests can't be done outside of codes... in Pokemon X Y you can interact and add randomers as friends when you've interacted to a certain level. Guess it's one rule for some, another for others.

Those people you add are friends only in Pokemon X&Y as far as I can tell. I can add people to my copy of Y, even though my Friend List on the system is maxed out.

rpmurphy

Those people you add are friends only in Pokemon X&Y as far as I can tell. I can add people to my copy of Y, even though my Friend List on the system is maxed out.
Animal Crossing is the only one I know of that you can add people (friends of friends if you are playing together online) directly to your 3DS Friends List.

jeez, there's a defence force for anything apparently. Totally not Nintendo's fault for having a shitty online system, it's because of other bad people!! lol... So shall we just accept that Nintendo lives in the internet stone age forever and watch them cripple their own already established systems until eternity because ,,whos gonna think of the childreeen!''?
Fuck no, that's complete nonsense. Other companies don't have problems with proper online systems and parental controls since decades either.

Hale-XF11

So, I heard about this and threw together a quick chart for everyone. I heard there might be a paid app in the future, so I added that to the chart. It looks like they want to push the Wii U in all honesty. So, this isn't just security, it's "marketing."

In that case, this is HORRIBLE marketing. If anything, it erodes my confidence in Nintendo.

Ganondolf

Why can't Nintendo tell the parents to be parents and USE THE FUCKING PARENTAL CONTROLS?

I think the kids are turning it off is the problem. They must be working out the password or something. Nintendo should have a system where is sends a email which gives you a code that you need to impute or something (but then the kids may have access to the email account) very difficult situation after what happened a week or 2 ago.

rpmurphy

Why can't Nintendo tell the parents to be parents and USE THE FUCKING PARENTAL CONTROLS?
Are parental controls even useful for filtering out bad content? Or are they basically all-or-nothing switches that you can use to have your child have zero contact with the outside world?

massoluk

Banned
jeez, there's a defence force for anything apparently. Totally not Nintendo's fault for having a shitty online system, it's because of other bad people!! lol... So shall we just accept that Nintendo lives in the internet stone age forever and watch them cripple their own already established systems until eternity because ,,whos gonna think of the childreeen!''?
Fuck no, that's complete nonsense. Other companies don't have problems with proper online systems and parental controls since decades either.

Would you agree that Nintendo, more so than MS and Sony, has a squeaky clean kid and family friendly reputation because of these draconian practices? Because I see there is at least some merit in their action, as backward as it is.

R0ckman

Are parental controls even useful for filtering out bad content? Or are they basically all-or-nothing switches that you can use to have your child have zero contact with the outside world?

My friend had it on his for some reason and if you don't know the code you have to call up Nintendo. I mean the person who you talk to has to take your word for it though. I got a girl and she was giggling and shit when I asked if it was hard to tell if I was telling the truth about my age (I have a deep voice that vibrates stuff).

And yeah. You are basically blocked from online. I couldn't even friend code exchange him or anything. Which is why I had to do it in the first place.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I think the thing to remember is that Nintendo has clearly struggled to bring Miiverse to the 3DS platform. (Originally, it was rumoured to be part of the Wii U Summer update... which became the fall update... which was eventually released without a 3DS component... and the 3DS component still isn't here.)

Saturo Shibata in Nintendo Direct Europe clearly said that it was a work in progress and it would continue to be improved over time.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Christ Nintendo, in this case it can literally be said you had one job - that being integrating 3DS with Miiverse.

I fully realize Nintendo has reasons to be paranoid about pedo traps. But friend requests and private messages are already on Wii U with parental controls and Miiverse moderation teams on standby to address problems. I don't think there should have been such a problem merely allowing the 3DS to access full Miiverse functionality.

Saturo Shibata in Nintendo Direct Europe clearly said that it was a work in progress and it would continue to be improved over time.

Indeed Wii U Miiverse itself (and even web browser Miiverse) got multiple significant updates since the console's release. I'm not too worried about 3DS Miiverse even if it looks kinda basic at first.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
I wouldn't take too much stock in "random NOA CSR" when it comes to barely-announced service details. Just wait and see.

Berordn

Christ Nintendo, in this case it can literally be said you had one job - that being integrating 3DS with Miiverse.

I fully realize Nintendo has reasons to be paranoid about pedo traps. But friend requests and private messages are already on Wii U with parental controls and Miiverse moderation teams on standby to address problems. I don't think there should have been such a problem merely allowing the 3DS to access full Miiverse functionality.

It could be that they were adamant about getting it out this year and they weren't able to reconcile friend codes with NNIDs because the system wasn't designed for it like the Wii U was.

The 3DS was kind of doomed from the start because of that.

rpmurphy

My friend had it on his for some reason and if you don't know the code you have to call up Nintendo. I mean the person who you talk to has to take your word for it though. I got a girl and she was giggling and shit when I asked if it was hard to tell if I was telling the truth about my age (I have a deep voice that vibrates stuff).

And yeah. You are basically blocked from online. I couldn't even friend code exchange him or anything. Which is why I had to do it in the first place.
If it's too fine-grain, people just don't take the time to find out about and set the options (like privacy options on sites), and if it's too broad, they may just not set it at all. And with different applications having different implications of what it means to "go online", I wonder if there is a good implementation of parental controls that can control certain types of online activities, not just block it wholesale.

Darryl

Banned
i don't remember miiverse on the wii u supporting messaging friends at all. i thought that was done through the friends list.

It is always the consumer and the developers fault, it is never Nintendo fault.

/sarcasm.

At least blame the pedos about this one than just the userbase.

Elija2

I don't think this is them being overprotective, I think it's just them being lazy. If Nintendo were worried about pedophiles using private messages and friend requests on Miiverse they wouldn't have allowed those features on the Wii U. They're probably just rushing Miiverse out for this year and will hopefully add those features in later.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Didn't they fulfil that? The main part of Miiverse is the post of messages in the communities about your games. PMs between users is an additional option that while useful isn't the primary aspect of the Miiverse experience.

Just to give this discussion a bit more perspective....

Given what we know about what happened in Japan, I'd say that Nintendo isn't only worried about the potential of pedo's using the 3DS to groom children. They're also worried about something that most of us in the west probably wouldn't even consider, namely that underage girls might be using 3DS messages to actively solicit sugar daddies for enjo kōsai ("compensated dating"). Though most enjo kōsai apparently does not result in sex, surveys in the past have suggested that as many as 20% of schoolgirls in Japan were engaged in the practice.

Now, we don't know for certain that the cases which prompted this reaction from Nintendo involved enjo kōsai. But the possibility is something that'd occur to people in Japan, and it should be something that we take into consideration when evaluating the appropriateness of Nintendo's actions. In a household where the parents are doing everything right, with their computer in a public room and the child's phone usage monitored appropriately (which can be done without invading the child's privacy just by checking the numbers of messages against the bill, and making the child aware they're not to delete anything), the 3DS is easily a weak link in the armour. It's much harder for the parents to track what the children are doing on the device, if it even occurred to them that they'd need to keep track of it in the first place. Not to mention the possibility of the children bypassing the parental controls as well. If the kids can do that, they're probably not stupid, and are reactivating it every time to make sure the parents don't see anything even if they did check.

Parablank

ugh, why couldn't they just copy the Wii U Miiverse (or even better just ripping off XLive/PSN) and not do any of this bullshit. Maddening

Doesn't matter. Kids and adults alike will just move on to WhatsApp, LINE, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and all the other multitude of ways they have to communicate with each other. Nintendo's just making themselves that small bit less relevant, and that little bit harder to take their attitude towards the internet seriously.

Top Bottom