• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Retail Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Robot

A single-purpose device is certainly not better than a multi-purpose device which is good at pretty much anything. (including gaming, I and the average person has no problems with touch/motion controls)
The apps & functions of the Vita/3ds are useless or/and laughable bad. But why do I even bother talking to you, someone who buys the 3DS again but in a different colour (according to an earlier post ITT) is certainly not rational or your average consumer.

True, but i dont buy a handheld gaming device for the apps and multimedia functions, i buy it to play games, and to be honest the smartphone platform as it is now, cant offer me an experience that entertains me for more than 10 minutes.

Fox Mulder

True, but i dont buy a handheld gaming device for the apps and multimedia functions, i buy it to play games, and to be honest the smartphone platform as it is now, cant offer me an experience that entertains me for more than 10 minutes.

The original DS was bought by many people that only wanted 15 minutes of entertainment here or there, and they are probably fine with smartphone gaming now.

I'm kind of interested in a 3ds, especially at these new prices, but it's no secret why it will be hard for this handheld to ever match the numbers of the DS.

mollipen

Pink!!

*looks up image*

Aauugh! Pink with a black inside top?! Are they all mismatched like this? I'll just go for ugly old black ~_~

In person, the pink 3DS actually looks really nice. I'm typically far more a fan of baby/pastel pink (I wish the true color was more like how it looks in my photo below), but it's really grown on me—and the black offers a nice bit of contrast. If it were all pink, I think it'd look uglier.

IMG_1569.jpg

Yanksfan

Much like with the Vita, the 'lack of games' argument for the 3DS really does not seem to hold a lot of water to me.

Mario Games

NSMB2
Mario Land 3D
Mario Kart
Paper Mario
Mario Tennis

Other Nintendo Games

Zelda: OoT 3D
Star Fox 64
Kid Icarus
Professor Layton

Big 3rd Party Franchises/Fanboy Games

Resident Evil
Metal Gear Solid
Tales RPG
Shin Megami Tensei
Kingdom Hearts

Plus other niche titles or smaller series that will elicit strong responses from certain circles (see: Zero Escape).

Sure, there could be even more, but the system has been out for a year and a half at this point roughly. I think it has done a great job providing titles from its core franchises, resurrecting old ones and bringing in some reliable third party support, all while the system initially struggled to get off the ground and begin building a solid userbase.

but it's no secret why it will be hard for this handheld to ever match the numbers of the DS.

On a time aligned basis the 3DS is one million units ahead of the NDS in hardware sales. So the 3DS is not only matching the numbers of NDS, it's blowing them away.

Hardware isn't the problem. It's software pricing and attach rates. People aren't buying as many games for their 3DS' as they did their NDS'. Maybe it's because the games are $10 higher priced, maybe the types of games being offered aren't what people want. Maybe a lot of things. But it's not just smartphone games.

Balb

Much like with the Vita, the 'lack of games' argument for the 3DS really does not seem to hold a lot of water to me.

The 3DS more than any other Nintendo handheld is pretty much for Nintendo fans only. There were dozens and dozens of great third party DS and GBA games. With the 3DS, I just find myself looking forward to the first party games almost exclusively.

Yanksfan

The 3DS more than any other Nintendo handheld is pretty much for Nintendo fans only. There were dozens and dozens of great third party DS and GBA games. With the 3DS, I just find myself looking forward to the first party games almost exclusively.

There were dozens and dozens released within the first year or so of their hardware cycle?

Also, consideration has to be given that devs will wait for the userbase to build, especially in a handheld market that is being attacked by mobile phone gaming. Previous ones did not have to combat that early on in their cycles, or even at all in the case of the GBA. Despite that, several big name franchises have appeared already on the 3DS.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
In person, the pink 3DS actually looks really nice. I'm typically far more a fan of baby/pastel pink (I wish the true color was more like how it looks in my photo below), but it's really grown on me—and the black offers a nice bit of contrast. If it were all pink, I think it'd look uglier.
My pink DSlite isn't ugly! The metallic rose DSi XL looks so nice to ~_~ Might just be me but all the 3DS colors look jarringly bad with the black upper inside screen aside from the black one obviously. Blech!

The 3DS more than any other Nintendo handheld is pretty much for Nintendo fans only.
Going by the list above that seems ta be the case. I'm not really a nintendo fan neither. None of what Yanksfan posted is of any interest to me besides MGS3... which I already have for PS2. I dunno if I'll even pick up any games with the system if I do get one next week. Would prolly get Harvest Moon but certainly not for $40! Going by screenshots its barely above Animal Crossing DS's graphics, an so not on par with the Gamecube HM's. Didn't 3rd parties learn from the PSP that $40 handheld games don't work?

P90

Give me a break. Ridiculous. Check the 3DS games already released and upcoming.

mollipen

My pink DSlite isn't ugly! The metallic rose DSi XL looks so nice to ~_~ Might just be me but all the 3DS colors look jarringly bad with the black upper inside screen aside from the black one obviously. Blech!

I've got the rose DS Like, but I'm not a huge fan of it. I just don't like the single-tone color to handhelds. I loved the original pink+white DS Phat, and I'm glad that Nintendo went back to that idea with the 3DS XL.

And not to disparage your DS Lite and your enjoy of it, but it's just a color that I'm not a huge fan of. To be fair, though, it's way, way better than the pink DSi was, and some other pink colors out there.

Valnen

Who cares about Nintendo? I can get a 3DS cheaper. Do you guys forget you are consumers?

This type of thinking is shortsighted at best. Of course you should care about the health of the company that makes your stuff. If they go out of business you have nothing to buy and your life is worse off for it. Of course, if you're not really a gamer I can understand this type of thinking. But even non gamers have their favorite things that they don't want to see disappear from the market, so...

This type of thinking is shortsighted at best. Of course you should care about the health of the company that makes your stuff. If they go out of business you have nothing to buy and your life is worse off for it. Of course, if you're not really a gamer I can understand this type of thinking. But even non gamers have their favorite things that they don't want to see disappear from the market, so...

Yeah except nintendo isn't going out of business and if they were worrying about it on a message board wouldn't change anything.

Not yet. You want Nintendo to be as profitable as possible so that can never become a reality, though. Or at least, you should if you're a gamer.
Yes, and you should want EA and Activision to be as profitable as possible too. After all, it doesn't matter what a game company provides you with as a gamer, it just matters that they should make gigantic $$ profits so they can stick around for longer.

miksar

To be more precise, fans of Japanese games in general.

Eusis

To be more precise, fans of Japanese games in general.
Which is why it's kind of frustrating: we have no idea if Bravely Default will come out, and we'll have to wait ont he likes of Soul Hackers and SMTIV anyway. The system IS more powerful than the DS, and that means that for games taking advantage of it we'll have to wait longer for them to be developed.

It's still young though, so long as it doesn't fall over dead or anything (and it seems to be out of the danger zone there, unlike the Vita) it'll probably build up a decent library regardless of what happens with western output, and it's not like the DS was the place to go for that anyway.

P90

snip

Sure, there could be even more, but the system has been out for a year and a half at this point roughly. I think it has done a great job providing titles from its core franchises, resurrecting old ones and bringing in some reliable third party support, all while the system initially struggled to get off the ground and begin building a solid userbase.

Exactly. Both platforms have and will soon have excellent games covering a wide variety of genres. All this, "it/they has/have no games" is bologna. They are both early in their lifecycles, so not wanting to buy either the 3DS or Vita due to perceived lack of a critical mass of games that someone would like is a reasonable argument.

Yes, and you should want EA and Activision to be as profitable as possible too. After all, it doesn't matter what a game company provides you with as a gamer, it just matters that they should make gigantic $$ profits so they can stick around for longer.

Honestly that's how most people in the industry look at it.

I for one want every video game company to be successful. Even if I'm competing with them, the last thing I want is for their company to go under...because that means people with lost jobs and broken dreams.

Behind every company there are people who pour their heart and soul into it. What kind of evil person WANTS a company to be unprofitable and fail?

The price cut does hurt a bit especial only 4 month after launch of the 3DS XL. Wheres the Ambassador program 2.0?

Regardless of when you bought a 3DS XL, you get a free retail title via Club Nintendo. You get to choose from 3D Land, Prof. Layton, and some others... I only mentioned those two as the others are sort of meh.

How does this work?!

EUROGAMER

Super Mario 3D Land and the latest Professor Layton game are among the free titles that Nintendo UK is now offering to owners of the 3DS XL.

Register the handheld on the company's Club Nintendo website and you'll be eligible to a download of one of five games. If you've registered you can pick which one you want right now.

Other titles available include creature creation game Freakyforms Deluxe: Your Creations, Alive!, New Art Academy: Learn New Painting Techniques and Share your Art and Nintendo Presents: New Style Boutique.

Downloads will be available from 1st to 31st January 2013 - so you'll need to hold on for a few weeks yet. The offer is open to anyone who has registered a 3DS XL device by 15th January - not just those who get one for Christmas.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Jesus. You can almost buy 2 3DS systems for the price of a Vita.

The benefits of going low profile with system specs... at the end of the day, price rules in consumers eyes, especially in a very contested enviroment where the portables are (Phones, tablets). Parents don't care the system looks that good as long as its not expensive and is fun for their kids. Also... Nintendo = Brand Name with parents.

Jeels

On a time aligned basis the 3DS is one million units ahead of the NDS in hardware sales. So the 3DS is not only matching the numbers of NDS, it's blowing them away.

On a time aligned basis, the DS is about to explode (DSLite, and a wave of "evergreen" titles). Meaning it will outsell the 3DS fairly quickly. That'd explain the price drop.

On a time aligned basis, the DS is about to explode (DSLite, and a wave of "evergreen" titles). Meaning it will outsell the 3DS fairly quickly. That'd explain the price drop.

Animal Crossing is coming. And most likely at least news of Zelda/Smash/Pokemon in 2013. That alone should attract new buyers.

kswiston

Exactly. Both platforms have and will soon have excellent games covering a wide variety of genres. All this, "it/they has/have no games" is bologna. They are both early in their lifecycles, so not wanting to buy either the 3DS or Vita due to perceived lack of a critical mass of games that someone would like is a reasonable argument.

The problem for me isn't a lack of games, but rather a lack of games I am willing to spend $39.99 for. Especially for the digital releases (as I would prefer to go digital only if the pricing wasn't so absurd). Dropping the 3DS price to $139.99 was a great move, but Software needs to go back down to $29.99 as the basline, with a $19.99 pricepoint for touch generation-style titles. Some titles could probably afford to continue being released at the $39.99 pricepoint (mainline Mario games, Pokemon, large budget games from S-E or other companies, perhaps some niche titles targeting specific fanbases). However, there are a lot of games on 3DS that I am interested in, but refuse to buy at $40.

The benefits of going low profile with system specs... at the end of the day, price rules in consumers eyes, especially in a very contested enviroment where the portables are (Phones, tablets). Parents don't care the system looks that good as long as its not expensive and is fun for their kids. Also... Nintendo = Brand Name with parents.

I agree, it's absolutely...fundamentally crucial that the 3DS is budget priced.

You can get an iPad nowadays for $329 (iPad mini). What's a better value for a casual that doesn't play many games...an expensive $250 device that can only do video games? Or a super-sleek $329 device that can do everything? Or what about those $199 Nexus 7 tablets?

You get my point...

The only things missing from the 3DS library to make it legendary are a plethora of Japanese RPGs and some more racing games. Wave race would be amazing. I don't want to have to rely on EA or Gameloft to bring the only racing experiences.

Animal Crossing is coming. And most likely at least news of Zelda/Smash/Pokemon in 2013. That alone should attract new buyers.

The explosion of sales from the end of 2006 up until 2010 is a lot more dramatic than you're thinking that it is, Holiday sales nearly doubled from their 2005 levels for instance. All current indicators have the 3DS performing worse this holiday than it did last holiday, which would correspond to an awful sales period for the original DS. It will take a miracle for the 3DS to surpass the PSP let alone the DS or GBA.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Since I have no interest in Mario Kart I'm glad I jumped on the $180 3DS XL deal at Best Buy two weeks ago.

Actually I just picked this up at Best Buy and I got a $20 GC with the bundle. So I basically got it for $180 plus a free Mario Kart.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
From the other thread and a source on CAG. There will be a significant sale on the XL a week before Christmas from at least one retailer.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Nope. Still a rumor, and it's presumably false if it's not announced in the next day or two.

Well, they could also announce in the middle of next week, in order to not penalize too much sales between price drop's announcement and when it'll be actually effective.

I have a 3DS which I want to transfer:
- All the 3DS Streetpass, Mii's, time logs
- E-Shop purchases
- Etc

When buying a 3DS XL I want to buy a new SD card. Can I buy the XL, put a new SD card in, transfer my 3DS stuff across including all the games Ive bought, then download the included Mario Kart 7 (from this bundle)? It will have my eshop linked?

Bogeypop

Picked up the XL with Mario Kart 7 this morning. Got it at Best Buy cos of their 20$ giftcard with purchase. Finally that copy of OoT 3D that's been gathering dust since it came out will get some lovin'.

I'm wondering if I delete the Mario Kart 7 or something will I be able to redownload it? I would assume not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom