• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Retail Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So where's the european price drop? I would bite if the Mk bundle was 199€ (+power adapter, we still need to buy it separately...)
Amazon.it has the 3DS + Mario 3D Land for 169.

Edit: oh, you want the XL, nm. Cheapest on there is 169. Mario Kart for 34.64. Close enough? 203.64?

But I dunno if they ship to all of Europe. I know amazon.uk does but I dunno about .it.

jcm

Meanwhile, back in Reality of an Smartphone World:

Rmwa2.png

I mean, yall don't even point out strong yen, or erratic 3rd party successes it's just...anecdotes.

This is an excellent chart. It does a nice job of hiding the mediocre performance of the 3DS. The analyst that made it should be proud of his work.

Takao

Banned
Are we sure this is legit? NoA just released this video detailing the differences between 3DS and DSi for casuals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFcWvPc26fI

They state the prices as:
DSi - $99
3DS - $169
3DS XL - $199

Video doesn't appear to have super production values to require it being made a while ago. HMPH at that "state of the art graphics" comment though.

This is an excellent chart. It does a nice job of hiding the mediocre performance of the 3DS. The analyst that made it should be proud of his work.

3005.jackie-chan-meme-why.jpg

I'm seriously confused here, the 3DS out sold the DS first year despite all the negative news, why is it continuing? Heck the DS is still alive in most markets, much like the GBA was when the DS launched, it just sorta builds momentum, though I don't think the 3DS will be as big as the DS, it's hard to top that sort of worldwide success.

But if anyone is trying to say smart phones take up anything other than the brain age demographic and keep them from getting a 3DS, then they're pretty much insane, I mean the GBA was a great success without the brain age type games, and would have sold a lot more, had its life not been cut short by the DS coming out to compete with the PSP.

If anyone truly thinks that smart phones have started to eat into the core portable market, they've obviously not played the "core" games on smart phones, which is to say they control poorly, they've got even lower budgets, and generally they're not fun. You see people playing Angry Birds not Dead Space ios, while portable gamers still carry their DS or 3DS around to play Mario Kart and Pokemon.

RM8

Yeah, 3DS will overall do GBA-ish. May lack the huge mass appeal of DS, but GBA and previous Nintendo handhelds weren't considered disasters after all.

donny2112

It does a nice job of hiding the mediocre performance of the 3DS.

3DS and DS lines are fine. Is this a commentary on the GBA being a staggered launch not shown by the graph?

Yeah, 3DS will overall do GBA-ish.

Not a chance launch-aligned. GBA was a monster. Left DS in its dust majorly outside of Japan. Its life was just cut really short, though.

jcm

3DS and DS lines are fine. Is this a commentary on the GBA being a staggered launch not shown by the graph?

No, the commentary is that the launch aligned LTD chart with a long-ish timeline has the effect of hiding the 3DS's recent inability to compare to the DS's comparable quarters. It mixes seasonal quarters, which makes it hard to compare like to like. And because any given quarter is a small part of the LTD, it hides the fact that the DS's comparable sales are about to explode.

Basically, my problem with the chart is that it implies the 3DS is doing about the same as the DS. Heres a Gen over Gen quarterly sales chart that shows a more accurate picture, in my opinion. The 3DS's sales since last holiday are worrisome.

nAahp.png

Why the original?
Because the design is better? (I mean the look of it not how comfortable it is.)
Because it has better colors?
Because it has better speakers?

To name a few. I am rethinking getting a XL after rethinking these things. Not sure yet. The speakers are a deal breaker.

And no, it doesn't seem like there will be a official price drop for the 3DS.

Abandond

Because the design is better? (I mean the look of it not how comfortable it is.)
Because it has better colors?
Because it has better speakers?

To name a few. I am rethinking getting a XL after rethinking these things. Not sure yet. The speakers are a deal breaker.

And no, it doesn't seem like there will be a official price drop for the 3DS.

Are the speakers that bad?

Abandond

I dunno. I only go by what others are saying. Never seen a 3DS XL in person.

I would do that first, that should give you a good look at the colors and let you hear how the speakers sound. I know a few that own both and I haven't heard these complaints before, then again, I've never asked.

I would do that first, that should give you a good look at the colors and let you hear how the speakers sound. I know a few that own both and I haven't heard these complaints before, then again, I've never asked.
Yea, but I don't think my GS has a display unit and don't know anyone that owns one so I can't really see it in person lol.

Comfortability + better D-Pad may win out over the flaws. Not sure if I'm getting one yet but them finally releasing the white color in US is pushing me towards getting it.

I recently bought an XL and the speakers are definitely worse than the original. It's probably half or 3/4 as loud. Screen brightness is also much lower, comparing them side to side the original 3ds's level 3 brightness is comparable to the XL's level 5.

Abandond

Yea, but I don't think my GS has a display unit and don't know anyone that owns one so I can't really see it in person lol.

Comfortability + better D-Pad may win out over the flaws. Not sure if I'm getting one yet but them finally releasing the white color in US is pushing me towards getting it.

Has the white color been announced?

Has the white color been announced?
Pink/White is releasing in most stores within the week.

I only think of the 3DS XL's colors as white or black since its white or black on the inside, the part your looking at while playing. So to me, NoA is FINALLY releasing a second color lol.

Abandond

Pink/White is releasing in most stores within the week.

I only think of the 3DS XL's colors as white or black since its white or black on the inside, the part your looking at while playing. So to me, NoA is FINALLY releasing a second color lol.

Yeah. I've been thinking of getting the pink and maybe putting a white decal on the outer shell. Might just go with the regular versions since I don't think the colors look bad anyway.

iphys

The thing I don't get is the blue MK7 bundles and pink XLs just went up on a few sites simultaneously and have the same price. It seems sort of unfair when blue tends to be targeted at guys and pink tends to be targeted at girls, like they think girls don't want to play Mario Kart or deserve less for the same price. I hope a price drop or a free game download is announced for the non-bundled XLs; otherwise, that just seems totally crazy.

R-User!

To repeat the success of DS, Nintendo need to release sexy 3DS Lite.

I like this idea.

Or just create a redesign of the XL, but release it with no name change.

What would they call a new 3DS that's bigger than the original 3DS but smaller than the XL? Would they even do this?

What about a 3DS U?

donny2112

No, the commentary is that the launch aligned LTD chart with a long-ish timeline has the effect of hiding the 3DS's recent inability to compare to the DS's comparable quarters.

Oh, so someone not acutely aware of the recent performance and wasn't looking at the way the 3DS line is rapidly falling to the DS line may assume that the 3DS would turn upwards like the DS line. Okay. It's accurate in that it's from launch, but the launches don't line up on the calendar making it less straightforward to compare. For example in the U.S. I figure the 3DS will be able to withstand the DSLite launch with the 3DS holiday numbers, but the 3DS LTD should fall behind DS sometime early next year.

-----

Anyone who would pass up a $160 3DSXL for a $130 regular 3DS due to speakers is way, way, way confused or has very, very specific needs.

1) Why aren't you using headphones?
2) Regular 3DS speakers aren't exactly powerhouses themselves, so you'll be better off using headphones with the regular 3DS, anyways.
3) Screen size is starkingly different and better on the 3DSXL. Quality of the screen seems more akin to DSiXL, too.
4) Screen brightness looks the same to me, and I have access to both.
5) D-pad seems no different to me. Haven't even heard of differences in the 3DSXL D-pad before, I think.
6) VC games (particularly NES ones designed for a TV screen) are way more playable on a 3DSXL.

It's your money, but short of "I can't afford the extra $30, at all," I can't imagine a strong reason to choose the regular 3DS over a 3DSXL. Just FYI.

I like this idea.

Or just create a redesign of the XL, but release it with no name change.

What would they call a new 3DS that's bigger than the original 3DS but smaller than the XL? Would they even do this?

What about a 3DS U?

I think trying to make sense of Nintendo's naming tactics is a battle destined for failure.

I really want an XL, but I'm jobless and broke right now.

I have a 3DS but pretty much stopped playing my games because I want to play them on a bigger screen (and I have a sizable backlog on the thing).

Bear

I recently bought an XL and the speakers are definitely worse than the original. It's probably half or 3/4 as loud. Screen brightness is also much lower, comparing them side to side the original 3ds's level 3 brightness is comparable to the XL's level 5.

That's too bad about the speakers. The DSi XL speakers were fantastic, they improved the audio quality and it was much louder. My favourite surprise addition from upgrading my busted DSL, and it made the music player worth using.

It's a shame they didn't repeat that with the 3DS XL.

jcm

Oh, so someone not acutely aware of the recent performance and wasn't looking at the way the 3DS line is rapidly falling to the DS line may assume that the 3DS would turn upwards like the DS line. Okay. It's accurate in that it's from launch, but the launches don't line up on the calendar making it less straightforward to compare. For example in the U.S. I figure the 3DS will be able to withstand the DSLite launch with the 3DS holiday numbers, but the 3DS LTD should fall behind DS sometime early next year.

I didn't say it's not accurate, I said it's deceptive. If you were trying to make a chart proving that all is well in 3DS-land, that's how you would do it. And the fact that someone tried to use it to show all is well in 3DS-land proves my point, I think.

donny2112

If you were trying to make a chart proving that all is well in 3DS-land, that's how you would do it.

If they then ignored DS's poor performance DSLite outside Japan, yeah. DS was not a full-blown success from Day 1 like GBA (the monster) was. Outselling DS's first year or two is hardly really good. Guess it depends on the background context the reader of the graph understands when looking at it.

I understand your point, and someone without the background context may think things aren't doing too bad currently, yes. That doesn't mean the graph is hiding the 3DS's performance, though. I think an even better picture would be Japan vs. outside Japan. That, in both LTD and quarterly, should show much more of what you're looking to see. 3DS in Japan is doing DS levels, though, it, too, will probably fall behind the 1.5 years of DS sellout performance after the holidays.

iphys

Or it could be they're planning to drop the price and give a free game to earlier XL adopters, and they just don't want to announce it in advance because of what happened with the 3DS scambassadors.

donny2112

Or it could be they're planning to drop the price and give a free game to earlier XL adopters, and they just don't want to announce it in advance because of what happened with the 3DS scambassadors.

Unfortunately, that's rather unlikely. Wouldn't mind a free download version of a game I already own, though.

It doesn't fit in my pocket.

Yeah, that's one of my things. I want portables to be pocketable. The classic 3DS's buttons were kind of painful to use for my post-RSI thumb, but I think that the 3DS XL would be better in this respect. But it's pretty huge. I should make a mockup too see which pants I have that it might fit into.

tkscz

No, the commentary is that the launch aligned LTD chart with a long-ish timeline has the effect of hiding the 3DS's recent inability to compare to the DS's comparable quarters. It mixes seasonal quarters, which makes it hard to compare like to like. And because any given quarter is a small part of the LTD, it hides the fact that the DS's comparable sales are about to explode.

Basically, my problem with the chart is that it implies the 3DS is doing about the same as the DS. Heres a Gen over Gen quarterly sales chart that shows a more accurate picture, in my opinion. The 3DS's sales since last holiday are worrisome.

nAahp.png

This really only proves that the 3DS sales are more sporadic than the DS sales, and that time should be given before making a judgement.

creid

So yeah, no Nintendo Direct announcement = not real?
The OP of the thread on CAG changed his mind about this being an MSRP drop about 6 hours afer posting. A week later, the GAF OP does not seem to have caught on.

donny2112

and can fairly evaluate chart manipulation.

There's no chart manipulation going on with that chart, though. There's context that will help determine whether the chart shows things are going well or poorly for 3DS currently, but the chart itself seems to be exactly accurate. It's not like a % change from previous quarter or "company" family or "ignore the first year on the market" chart used to obfuscate true performance. It shows what it shows, and shows it accurately.

Now unlikely conclusions can be drawn by less-informed people as to where 3DS will go in the future (which I still think is unlikely unless they're ignoring the way the 3DS line is already falling from GBA -> DS) based on the chart, but the chart itself is fine.

Apparently you cannot fairly evaluate chart manipulation, after all.

jcm

Is there anything dumber on GAF that the content-free avatar quote?

Now unlikely conclusions can be drawn by less-informed people as to where 3DS will go in the future (which I still think is unlikely unless they're ignoring the way the 3DS line is already falling from GBA -> DS) based on the chart, but the chart itself is fine.

You think people reach incorrect conclusions from that chart is unlikely? It was posted for that exact reason - the 3DS is doing fine, nothing to worry about, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom