• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Retail Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bogeypop

I see the bundle online now: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=16402536

However, I don't see any mention of the $30 gift card. Is that only if you by the bundle in-store (and thus pay sales tax...I haven't yet checked if sales tax and/or shipping applies if you buy online)?

Aw man I'd only heard of Best Buy doing the gift card deal. If I'd known TRU was sweetening the deal I would have got it there. Yeah, I see

Aww I didn't know TRU was doing a sweeter deal, I would have bought mine there otherwise. It is strange they don't mention the $30 Gift Card on the webpage.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Nintendo Phone is definitely next.

- competitive with iPhone/iPad
- family friendly, for the ever expanding children's phone market
- core Nintendo franchises esp. Mario and Pokemon
- will work as controller for next home console system
- 3D, incl. cartridge slot for BC with 3DS titles.

Nintendo is never going to work with telcos. Ever. Which would kill them in America.

And that would put them into more comparisons with iPhone and Android phones, which they don't need.

I'm thinking it's possible we'll see a convergence next gen. Something like a standalone GamePad. Then Nintendo could pour all their software on it instead of splitting things like they do now.

goldenpp72

Nintendo is never going to work with telcos. Ever. Which would kill them in America.

And that would put them into more comparisons with iPhone and Android phones, which they don't need.

I'm thinking it's possible we'll see a convergence next gen. Something like a standalone GamePad. Then Nintendo could pour all their software on it instead of splitting things like they do now.

Nintendo not making a phone will be the death of them, the 3DS never had a shot in hell of doing what the original DS did. Some people just can't handle change, and in this case Nintendo is one of them (hence their stellar online efforts and console hardware power). Think about it for a moment, what made the DS huge outside of the stuff that kept the Gameboy line strong? The GB line seemed to sell 80+ million before, but only the DS brought it into the insane territory of 150+ million. While price is a variable, it's not the main issue the 3DS will face in terms of growth.

People bought Nintendo portables so they could play Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, etc, and that will remain for years to come, and if Nintendo is happy to sell 50-80 million units every generation with more and more shrinking occurring, then they will maintain their course. What made the DS so big was adding touch screen gaming and casual games, the big sellers being stuff like Nintendogs, Brain Age, Layton, etc, are all games that could be done on a phone as well if not better, and those people who play the random puzzle games, casual games, etc, have found a cheap and convenient alternative in games like angry birds or tons of free/cheap apps on their phone, something they already own.

Nintendo needs to find a way to get in on cheap/disposable game market while still merging their powerful 30-40 dollar portable games market, it's a tricky situation because if they enter the phone market they will have to compete (or join with) a company already established, but if they don't their market will surely continue to shrink. People said phones were not hurting dedicated portables, and yet we see the Vita struggling to make a dent in the market, and the 3DS only doing great in Japan while it meets a mildly warm success here. The only reason my girlfriend for example will want a 3DS, is because she will want to play Animal crossing and Layton, but looking at her DS collection vs what she wants on the 3DS, it's incredibly obvious that her gaming focus shifted, and yes, she uses her android phone a lot for gaming. While not a fan of angry birds, she loves Sudoku, Plants vs Zombies, etc, and her phone probably makes up half of her portable gaming time, and she's more of a gamer than many.

I just can't imagine Nintendo will not do something drastic if they desire to stay competitive in the long run, because this is the first time their portable stranglehold has actually faced real long term threat.

Persona7

Banned
So is Mario Kart 7 pre-loaded on the 3DS? I was going to get a 3DS XL but I am not going to pay for a game I don't want.

I'll just keep waiting.

Ponn

Banned
Alright, so this is confirmed as a universal price drop to $139.99 then? Finally play FFtheater and KH3D. And when i'm done with P4G I can get back to DSoverclocked and DS2.

donny2112

I have a 3DS which I want to transfer:
- All the 3DS Streetpass, Mii's, time logs
- E-Shop purchases
- Etc

When buying a 3DS XL I want to buy a new SD card. Can I buy the XL, put a new SD card in, transfer my 3DS stuff across including all the games Ive bought, then download the included Mario Kart 7 (from this bundle)? It will have my eshop linked?

1) Turn off regular 3DS.
2) Copy everything from current SD card to new SD card via computer.
3) Put in new SD card to current 3DS and power it on.
4) Initiate system transfer process between the two systems.
5) At the end of the transfer process, it'll ask you to move the SD card from your old 3DS to the new system (3DSXL).
6) Done.

That copies everything, everything, everything. It'll be like the guts of your old system got transplanted into the new system. eShop will already be linked, steps, hats, etc. all already there.

1) Turn off regular 3DS.
2) Copy everything from current SD card to new SD card via computer.
3) Put in new SD card to current 3DS and power it on.
4) Initiate system transfer process between the two systems.
5) At the end of the transfer process, it'll ask you to move the SD card from your old 3DS to the new system (3DSXL).
6) Done.

That copies everything, everything, everything. It'll be like the guts of your old system got transplanted into the new system. eShop will already be linked, steps, hats, etc. all already there.

Thanks. Do I need to format the new SD card in the DS before connecting it to my computer (Mac)?

Abandond

Nintendo not making a phone will be the death of them, the 3DS never had a shot in hell of doing what the original DS did. Some people just can't handle change, and in this case Nintendo is one of them (hence their stellar online efforts and console hardware power). Think about it for a moment, what made the DS huge outside of the stuff that kept the Gameboy line strong? The GB line seemed to sell 80+ million before, but only the DS brought it into the insane territory of 150+ million. While price is a variable, it's not the main issue the 3DS will face in terms of growth.

People bought Nintendo portables so they could play Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, etc, and that will remain for years to come, and if Nintendo is happy to sell 50-80 million units every generation with more and more shrinking occurring, then they will maintain their course. What made the DS so big was adding touch screen gaming and casual games, the big sellers being stuff like Nintendogs, Brain Age, Layton, etc, are all games that could be done on a phone as well if not better, and those people who play the random puzzle games, casual games, etc, have found a cheap and convenient alternative in games like angry birds or tons of free/cheap apps on their phone, something they already own.

Nintendo needs to find a way to get in on cheap/disposable game market while still merging their powerful 30-40 dollar portable games market, it's a tricky situation because if they enter the phone market they will have to compete (or join with) a company already established, but if they don't their market will surely continue to shrink. People said phones were not hurting dedicated portables, and yet we see the Vita struggling to make a dent in the market, and the 3DS only doing great in Japan while it meets a mildly warm success here. The only reason my girlfriend for example will want a 3DS, is because she will want to play Animal crossing and Layton, but looking at her DS collection vs what she wants on the 3DS, it's incredibly obvious that her gaming focus shifted, and yes, she uses her android phone a lot for gaming. While not a fan of angry birds, she loves Sudoku, Plants vs Zombies, etc, and her phone probably makes up half of her portable gaming time, and she's more of a gamer than many.

I just can't imagine Nintendo will not do something drastic if they desire to stay competitive in the long run, because this is the first time their portable stranglehold has actually faced real long term threat.

Hasn't the 3ds been selling more than the DS did in the same time?

Also, if the next Pokeman is on the 3DS (most likely), it will sell like crazy.

RM8

Yes, more than the DS... but that's before DS Lite, which is when DS got really huge and it's unlikely 3DS will top that. It's still doing just okay.

watershed

Banned
The 3ds needs a shot in the arm in all territories except Japan. Hardware needs a boost but its software, especially 3rd party software that suffers from the current state of things. Japanese companies won't localize their titles because of what they see as limited sales prospects abroad and western 3rd parties will continue to make games for other platforms.

Then to match ds lite levels the 3ds probably needs another hardware refresh and some break out titles. Outside of the potential for AC to sell gangbusters its hard to see what else there is.

donny2112

Thanks. Do I need to format the new SD card in the DS before connecting it to my computer (Mac)?

Running it through SD Formatter seems to be generally recommended in the 3DS SD card thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=471893

Guys, this is super important: don't forget to use the SD Formatter (https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/).

However, there were also some reports of that not working with a Mac. Not sure what to do in that case. The 3DS should read a stock SD card just fine, but some people in that thread recommend SD Formatter for stability and speed when using with the 3DS.

goldenpp72

People seem to love comparing the 3DS to the DS in terms of its launch. The DS was getting beat by the PSP of all things when it first came out, the system didn't take off until the DS Lite and Mario came out, but that was a magical timing of an amazing revision, the glorious (not quite :p) return of 2d Mario, as well as the first traditional Mario title to hit a portable since.. Land 2? They never even bothered making one on GBA.

Combine that with games like Brain age and the like getting more and more exposure, and it's easy to see why the DS exploded, on top of getting the Pokemon games and such of course, but I doubt the 3DS will get one anytime soon considering they just launched a mainline game recently, when is the soonest a mainline Pokemon title has come from the previous one?

From a company perspective, amazing success should be met with amazing success the next time too. The 360 was immensely successful compared to the original Xbox, the Ps3 is an immense failure compared to the Ps2, despite both systems being about the same in sales. I believe by the time all is said and done, the DS/PSP generation will have sold 200-250 million, right now the Vita and 3DS are nowhere near replicating that level of success, and nothing else is out there to replace them aside phones, ipads, etc. So either people just stopped gaming, or they went elsewhere.

The 3DS will continue to struggle in comparison to the DS, I do think a 3DS lite would help if priced low, and with Pokemon and maybe a few other titles coming it should improve, but the casual bubble seems to have largely moved to other pastures, how did Nintendogs sell again? It's clear Nintendo thought that the brand was so powerful (much like Sony and the Ps3) that they could get away with selling a 250 dollar device with nothing to play, only to have it drop in price more than 100 dollars with a new revision launching in the span of a bit over a year? Companies never seem to learn, and the 3DS is something I think Nintendo will view as a big failure, focusing on a stupid (and not well executed) function that uses battery and hardware resources for little benefit (and even to its detriment) while launching at an incredibly high price point with nothing to play. I think the system will be remembered as a great platform that had to constantly be bandaged to stop the bleeding, but will also be remembered fondly for having amazing games, even if less of them.

Success and failure are all depending on who's talking about it though, to me the 3ds making a lot of money and having awesome games means it's a success, but a company that had shareholders pushing for mobile games, only to have their strongest money maker show great signs of weakness, is probably something they won't deem as a success, even if profitable.

donny2112

3-D in games is kind of a side thing, but 3-D movies is something everyone understands. Put Avatar out for 3DS and let people know they can watch it in 3-D without glasses and without paying for a 3-D setup, and you'll get a lot of bites. Better on 3DSXL, of course, but still watchable on 3DS. 3-D movies could very well be the casual draw for 3DS that DS had (that has since mostly moved on to iOS/Android). DO NOT understand what is holding that up, at this point. :/

Abandond

People seem to love comparing the 3DS to the DS in terms of its launch. The DS was getting beat by the PSP of all things when it first came out, the system didn't take off until the DS Lite and Mario came out, but that was a magical timing of an amazing revision, the glorious (not quite :p) return of 2d Mario, as well as the first traditional Mario title to hit a portable since.. Land 2? They never even bothered making one on GBA.

Combine that with games like Brain age and the like getting more and more exposure, and it's easy to see why the DS exploded, on top of getting the Pokemon games and such of course, but I doubt the 3DS will get one anytime soon considering they just launched a mainline game recently, when is the soonest a mainline Pokemon title has come from the previous one?

From a company perspective, amazing success should be met with amazing success the next time too. The 360 was immensely successful compared to the original Xbox, the Ps3 is an immense failure compared to the Ps2, despite both systems being about the same in sales. I believe by the time all is said and done, the DS/PSP generation will have sold 200-250 million, right now the Vita and 3DS are nowhere near replicating that level of success, and nothing else is out there to replace them aside phones, ipads, etc. So either people just stopped gaming, or they went elsewhere.

The 3DS will continue to struggle in comparison to the DS, I do think a 3DS lite would help if priced low, and with Pokemon and maybe a few other titles coming it should improve, but the casual bubble seems to have largely moved to other pastures, how did Nintendogs sell again? It's clear Nintendo thought that the brand was so powerful (much like Sony and the Ps3) that they could get away with selling a 250 dollar device with nothing to play, only to have it drop in price more than 100 dollars with a new revision launching in the span of a bit over a year? Companies never seem to learn, and the 3DS is something I think Nintendo will view as a big failure, focusing on a stupid (and not well executed) function that uses battery and hardware resources for little benefit (and even to its detriment) while launching at an incredibly high price point with nothing to play. I think the system will be remembered as a great platform that had to constantly be bandaged to stop the bleeding, but will also be remembered fondly for having amazing games, even if less of them.

Success and failure are all depending on who's talking about it though, to me the 3ds making a lot of money and having awesome games means it's a success, but a company that had shareholders pushing for mobile games, only to have their strongest money maker show great signs of weakness, is probably something they won't deem as a success, even if profitable.

I get what you're saying, but I don't it's a failure and I don't think it will be one. It's hard to reach DS levels, but there's time, as you said, the DS only began to sell well with the Lite, the 3DS just needs something similar maybe.

I honestly think though that the next Pokemon game will be for the 3DS to boost sales of the console.

Running it through SD Formatter seems to be generally recommended in the 3DS SD card thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=471893

However, there were also some reports of that not working with a Mac. Not sure what to do in that case. The 3DS should read a stock SD card just fine, but some people in that thread recommend SD Formatter for stability and speed when using with the 3DS.

Thanks. Is it not easier to stick the new SD card into my new 3DSXL and format the card on that? Then, do a system transfer from old 3DS to XL?

Who cares about Nintendo? I can get a 3DS cheaper. Do you guys forget you are consumers?

No, but I like analyzing both sides of the situation. I think the 3DS would do extremely well at $99 and $129 (XL). Which I think should be the price for it where Nintendo wouldn't have to worry much about smartphones/tablets. Doesn't mean it would be a smart business decision though. When it does drop to $99 next year, I'll pick it up :p

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Thanks. Is it not easier to stick the new SD card into my new 3DSXL and format the card on that? Then, do a system transfer from old 3DS to XL?

System transfer doesn't move anything on the SD card. It's only moving the hardware license and system info.
That's why the poster gave you that specific set of instructions.

luokyl

I got a 3DS recently (for $125 aussie on one of the David Jones 50% off sales).

Man, I really wish it was an XL. My flame red 3DS looks really good, but I just can't play it for very long because of the screens.

Wow. That is some revisionist history right there. First, the DS came out before the PSP. Second, the system took off due to Nintendogs first, Brain Age second. New SMB had a clear advantage due to those games greatly expanding the audience and garnering a lot of media attention.

3-D in games is kind of a side thing, but 3-D movies is something everyone understands. Put Avatar out for 3DS and let people know they can watch it in 3-D without glasses and without paying for a 3-D setup, and you'll get a lot of bites. Better on 3DSXL, of course, but still watchable on 3DS. 3-D movies could very well be the casual draw for 3DS that DS had (that has since mostly moved on to iOS/Android). DO NOT understand what is holding that up, at this point. :/

Personally i think this is something that will appeal to very few consumers. Watching movies on your 3DS just doesn't sound appealing at all.

Nintendo could give me the 3DS for free, I still wouldn't pay €40+ for the games.

Yep, this is an issue that is just as important to address. That alongside some quality software should spark some like into the 3DS.

Blizzard

Banned
I guess that 3DS XL Toys R Us thing is store only, otherwise you don't get the gift card. =( It's kind of a pain to drive out to a store. I suppose I could check out twice and use the card on a game though.

*edit* It's like $19 USD extra for shipping and sales tax online, so eh. :p Are there any sites with the bundle and free shipping?

MarkusRJR

Still sucks that the 3DS isn't taking off in the west. They need cheaper games and cheaper better designed hardware. I'd imagine a next gen Nintendo handheld with a cheaper price (starting price of $140) with $20-$30 games taking off sales-wise. Right now the combination of high priced badly built hardware (self scratching screens, bad build quality, uncomfortable), negative public views on 3D, market confusion (most of my friends think the 3DS is a revision of the DS), smartphones, and $40 games is the imo the reason the 3DS isn't doing to hot in the West.

Personally I can't wait till the first non-XL 3DS revision. The XL is way too big to carry around and the screen has an infinitely worse 3D effect than the original 3DS, presumably due to the bigger screen. As someone who uses 3D all the time it's such a disapointment the XL has a worse viewing angle to point where turning on 3D is detrimental to the experience.

All I want is a 3DS sized device with a non-reflective screen (with the same 3D quality as the OG 3DS), better build quality, better d-pad, and a more comfortable design (eg. rounded edges, no sharp edges).

Decided to get one. I got the MK7 bundle. Don't like MK7 that much, but why not since it's free.

I really like it. The blue color is better than I though.

But yeah, the back cover is pretty flimsy. Hope mine isn't looser than normal. I was hoping it was latched on a bit tighter, but I can easily ply it off without much pressure. When did Nintendo become so cheap? Just thinking that with two more screws or more latches, it could've been much sturdier.

I'm a bit disappointed with this. And I already saw online and this is non-returnable in most stores. And I already did the transfer, so too late. Since I'm not the only one, I'll just deal with it. Oh well. I guess compared to other problems I can have like screen pixels, scratches, bad buttons, or other cosmetic issues, I guess I should be happy with the purchase and not OCD over this. Everything about the system is great, it's just the bad cover. So i'll be happy with it. I think it should hold me over until a limited edition either white or even that Pikachu comes to North America...

...(once again, NoE > NoA!)

Anyway, it's good to play my games on a bigger screen, although DS games don't look so great, it's still good.

And I'm still keeping my launch 3DS. I think with the price drop, I'll only get like $30 store credit for it now. I paid launch price for it, so I'm keeping it as my portable back-up.

So is Mario Kart 7 pre-loaded on the 3DS? I was going to get a 3DS XL but I am not going to pay for a game I don't want.

I'll just keep waiting.

Mario Kart 7 is free, essentially, unless a price drop is imminent. Both the bundle and a standalone XL are currently $199.99.

Sandfox

Yep, this is an issue that is just as important to address. That alongside some quality software should spark some like into the 3DS.

There is no way that Nintendo will be able to convince companies to lower the prices of their games. I'm sure most of them would rather go Vita or iOS before doing that.

Nobody cares about 3D movies either, at least not enough to pay hundreds of dollars for 3D content.

Iwata's one cold-hearted MF behind that smile, aint he?

I wish they'd have thrown out a purple XL before I buy one for Crimson Shroud and VLR.

Meanwhile, back in Reality of an Smartphone World:

Rmwa2.png

I mean, yall don't even point out strong yen, or erratic 3rd party successes it's just...anecdotes.

donny2112

Personally i think this is something that will appeal to very few consumers. Watching movies on your 3DS just doesn't sound appealing at all.

I've done it with the ~12 minute $2 Dreamworks movie on the eShop and converted Monsters vs. Aliens to 3DS format to watch. It works very fine, and the 3-D is very appealing to watch the movie with on the small screen format (3DSXL), too (at least for me). I think cartoon/CGI stuff would work best (like the GBA videos were focused on), and I don't think that many would buy a 3DS just for 3-D movies. But if parents knew that the new 3-D DS (lol) could play 3-D movies for their kids, I think it'd be a pretty big deal. Kids would be the ones most likely to be willing to sit still enough to stay in the sweet spot to watch 3-D movies for 1.5 hours, after all (or the random adult who just really wants 3-D movies available whenever ;) ).

I picked up a standard 3DSXL last Friday since I had $110 in mystery Rewardzone gift certificates that expired on 12-1. I had to use the coupons online because the register wouldn't take them without a RZ card. Bought it online for store pick up and payed $96 out of pocket. Today I got a chance to exchange it for the bundle and got the $20 gift card as an added bonus. The blue isn't as bad as it looks in photos which is nice but I would liked an all black 3DSXL. Now I can finally play my Adventure Time CE I picked up last week.

The Lamp

All this handheld needs is a new mainline Pokemon game and Nintendo will be selling these like crack - laced hotcakes.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
There is no way that Nintendo will be able to convince companies to lower the prices of their games. I'm sure most of them would rather go Vita or iOS before doing that.
MSRP for software was lowered early in the life of both DS and PSP.

watershed

Banned
I've done it with the ~12 minute $2 Dreamworks movie on the eShop and converted Monsters vs. Aliens to 3DS format to watch. It works very fine, and the 3-D is very appealing to watch the movie with on the small screen format (3DSXL), too (at least for me). I think cartoon/CGI stuff would work best (like the GBA videos were focused on), and I don't think that many would buy a 3DS just for 3-D movies. But if parents knew that the new 3-D DS (lol) could play 3-D movies for their kids, I think it'd be a pretty big deal. Kids would be the ones most likely to be willing to sit still enough to stay in the sweet spot to watch 3-D movies for 1.5 hours, after all (or the random adult who just really wants 3-D movies available whenever ;) ).

I think Nintendo is just bad at negotiating these kind of deals and the bad battery life, and limited viewing angle would make watching a full 3d movie a pain anyways. I remember when cartoons were sold on cartridges for the gba and I couldn't imagine why any parent would buy them.

I like 3d movies but I'd probably never buy a 3d movie for the 3ds. The screen is too small and low res, the viewing angle is bad, and the battery life is bad. At the end of the day its just not appealing enough and movie studios like Dreamworks probably already know this.

donny2112

I remember when cartoons were sold on cartridges for the gba and I couldn't imagine why any parent would buy them.

Simpler to setup than a portable DVD player, and can switch out to playing games at any time. I bought like 8 of them (they got heavily discounted after a couple of months, IIRC), including both Shrek movies. Maybe, it's just me. :lol

asa

So where's the european price drop? I would bite if the Mk bundle was 199€ (+power adapter, we still need to buy it separately...)

Artemisia

Banned
Then there are absolutely great crafted games like Code of Princess, Kid Icarus Uprising, Fire Emblem Awakening and Monster Hunter Tri G brought over from the Wii and upgraded. It's like the games are on a whole class of their own that you just won't find on phones.

I wasn't arguing for phone games though.

I am certainly satisfied with paying $39.99 for KI:U after noticing how much content is on it. I will easily part with $39.99 for Fire Emblem, and would for Monster Hunter if I was into that.

But 39.99 for Mario Tennis? 39.99 for A Tales of The Abyss port? Pilotwings and Steel Diver also used to be 39.99. That's fucked up.

Bringing phone games into it now, Nintendo does need to eventually realize that some people do prefer iOS because of the game prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom