• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Streetpass Plaza updates (UK/EU?) - new Streetpass DLC available. Nintendo's F2P?

Emily Rogers "It's not that big a deal". You sly fox you. DL'ing now!

I've got to say, £13.49 isn't really worth it for StreetPass Quest type games though, sorry Nintendo.

JordanKZ

UK GAF here with crashes when you try to buy one of the new games.

Any others from Blighty managed it?

A friend of mine managed to get on just fine. Mine was crashing too this morning... I'd have to imagine their infrastructure is still rolling out. Still, hard crashing your application when you can't contact servers is a pretty bad design choice. :p

Also, I got the New Super Mario Bros U & Super Luigi U board. This upsets me. :(

8bit

Knows the Score
It keeps crashing when I try to shop :

WsBHirO.png

Stan64

I'm so hype. Finished most of the accomplishments after E3 last year. Was working on 9 999 passes and 10 Special Mii.

This update seems SOOO cool. But why do it crash? So close but yet so far.. =(

Emily Rogers "It's not that big a deal". You sly fox you. DL'ing now!

I've got to say, £13.49 isn't really worth it for StreetPass Quest type games though, sorry Nintendo.

These aren't Streetpass Quest-type games, though. They're a lot more fully featured than that.

Judging by the video, you're essentially get 4 bite-size eShop games with lots of replay value.

D-e-f-

Banned
Crashing for me every time when I'm supposed to get the Mario hat.

Yeah, just read some stuff about it on the internet. Though I hardly believe that there is big chances that you run by people with StreetPass activated given how few games support this feature.

Still I have to figure out what this new update does now...

You've got to be kidding me. You own a 3DS and literally have zero clue about StreetPass??? I mean ZERO? One of the system's biggest features?!

OMG Aero

Are the Euro 3DS only ones that are crashing?
My first 3DS has the rabbit crash thing but my second 3DS can get through to buy the games just fine, so I dunno if it's on a per 3DS basis or if they fixed the update since I updated my second 3DS later and we just have to wait to be able to download a fix on 3DS' that do crash.

Nah, every time I try to access the shop this rabbit shows up and freezes the system.

Sadface... the one time I get a chance to quote Python...

Anyway, it's the same for me. Crashes when i scroll up the plaza and crashes once I face the rabbit.

Yeah, just read some stuff about it on the internet. Though I hardly believe that there is big chances that you run by people with StreetPass activated given how few games support this feature.

Still I have to figure out what this new update does now...

Almost all games support it... what the?

Shahadan

Try to buy with each game, I get farther in the process with Battle rather than Squad for example. Still crashes for me, but you may be luckier.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I haven't even beaten part two of the second quest once yet.

But beehive wig > *

I'll see if any pics of the new hats convince me otherwise... oh no I'm paying for hats!

Joking aside, the new games look pretty cool and will add some much needed variety to the plaza. I will wait to see what others think of all the games to decide whether buying say one like the shmup is enough for me or whether buying the bundle is the best route.

Shahadan

Wait so some of us got Xenoblade and some Luigi U? That sucks. How am I supposed to complete my shiny new Xenoblade puzzle in a foreseeable futureif I can't steal puzzle pieces from anybody ;(

Nice. This combined with the WiFi hotspot system has quite some potential.

Yup. The Nintendo VIP visitors over E3 have given me an idea of what it's like to use the StreetPass games properly, rather than the one-visitor-a-year I've been used to so far. I like it. If the modifications to StreetPass and the use of relays can give me more of that, I'll be delighted.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm guessing they released a batch of new puzzles like they did with the last big plaza update. That time people only received one piece each to encourage streetpassing.

Who knows, there could be even more.

I'm guessing they released a batch of new puzzles like they did with the last big plaza update. That time people only received one piece each to encourage streetpassing.

Who knows, there could be even more.

If they're roughly divided by region, NA might give us some new ones, yeah.

Reposting my impressions here, because I guess it's more relevant. This is based on the Japanese versions.

You get one hat per game as a commemoration for downloading. Each hat is themed on the game. Each game has 'achievements' some of which you get Hat Tickets.

The opening to StreetPass Squad is cute and the 3D effect is subtle (I had to confirm it was there by closing my eye and adjusting the slider). You seem to get 3 shots with the same set of Miis, in the event of dying. Controls well, but slow speed (but, also the first level). It's basically a shmup, with the Miis acting as extra guns. You can rotate them around your 'ship' using L & R buttons while you play. Your score is ranked against other players you StreetPass with. It's fun and the world/story is fairly detailed for what it is. As expected from Good-Feel it's got a clean graphical style.

StreetPass Garden starts off much slower. The game looks really good as it's quite graphically detailed and has a nice overall style and the Miis animate really well. The 3D effect is less subtle than Squad, but still not the strongest I've seen. There are a total of 20 flowers you must collect to become a 'Flower Master'. You get your pick of one of three seeds from which to start your collection. A little like Pokemon I guess. Miis come up and water your seed until it grows into a flower. You can talk to the Miis and have them show you the flowers they have. It's very quaint.

StreetPass Battle has a basic graphic style since there's so many soldiers on screen at once. You choose an option, which I presume relates to your color/armor style, and then your castle. You have 3 choices; Japanese, Western, and Futuristic style castles. You cannot alter your castle type once it is selected.

It's basically paper-scissors-rock, but your army (based on the number of people you've Street Passed with), is divided into Hose-riders, Foot-men with spears, and archers. Horses beat archers, archers beat spears, spears beat horses. The Miis you most recently Street Passed with add more soldiers to your army. Iwata added 10,000 soliders to mine!!

Each round is against another district you're trying to take over. There appear to be 20 to complete. You have to select how to divide your army into the three divisions when you face each region. Presumably, a low-numbered section will not be as effective against a larger section on the opposing team, even if the attack is super effective. You can only use each division once per battle. Some of the soldiers you defeated will join your army too.

You get resources from the regions you conquer that can be used to upgrade your castle, but this also takes away people from your army. Going from Rank 1 to Rank 2 to shrunk my army from 11,700 to about 7,200. This game also has a ranking system.

StreetPass Mansion starts off with a giant hand grabbing you and pulling you inside the mountain. It has a simillar 3D effect to StreetPass Battle. Graphically it is quite well put together and quite spooky. You are told you need to get to the 30th Floor by finding the hidden staircases. You do this by setting 'pieces' that will become corridors, which you will automatically walk down.Pieces are given to you by Street Passed Miis. You can rotate the pieces in 4 directions, like tetris. If you combine two pieces of the same color they will become rooms, not corridors. You then walk through and open up any treasure chests in the room.

When you combine different colored pieces, a door will form. Sometimes, when the door opens, a ghost will attack you. You have a gun to shoot the ghosts with, but there are batteries that must recharge before you can shoot again (you start with three batteries). You can also block the ghosts. Combat is in real time. Your items/weapons get leveled up as you battle.

It's quite fun and seems like it might get tricky. Piece colors are, of course, based on the Mii's colors.

---

Overall, they're pretty good so far. Garden is the worst, but it's charm and laid back nature makes it tolerable at least. It's certainly the least game-y of the 4. Maybe that's the point of it?

The other three are quite fun and Mansion and Squad, in particular, I can see becoming quite challenging. The three of them are certainly more involved than Find Mii ever was just in their introductory stages.

I hope I get the Xenoblade one when the update hits NA, do you hear me NOA don't delay the puzzle piece like you did with the game.

Rootbeer

Banned
maybe it's better that NA didn't get these yet with all the crashing reports. and i'm really excited to try the new games.

Joqu

Yup. The Nintendo VIP visitors over E3 have given me an idea of what it's like to use the StreetPass games properly, rather than the one-visitor-a-year I've been used to so far. I like it. If the modifications to StreetPass and the use of relays can give me more of that, I'll be delighted.

Same here, I love the idea. Streetpass has a lot of potential, but right now it just isn't working outside of Japan. It could become a much bigger selling point if Nintendo plays it smart, and expanding Streetpass Plaza is a pretty good start.

kubus

So if I buy multiple mini-games, and I streetpass 4 people, can I play all of the mini-games with these people? Or do you only get one go?

Can the StreetPassed Mii's be re-used in each game in turn or are they gone once you've used them in one of the new games?

EDIT: ^ Answered, haha.

I'm going to be going to McDonalds and Starbucks much more than I already do. Despite how fat I already am.

Glasgow's actually been pretty good for StreetPasses anyway, I've had well over 1000 hits.

kubus

You can use them all in every game (plus the puzzle and one of the Find Mii games).
Bought.
At least, when the store stops crashing

Thanks!

I just got past the initial "I want more info!" crash, and the rabbit showed some screenshots of the game. Then I said I definitely want to buy it and it crashed again. Arghhh! Nintendo just take my money!

Top Bottom