• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[3DS] Tetris Axis coming on October 2, Nintendo publishes!

The M.O.B

I just wasted 5 bucks on the Tetris Live on the 3ds-shop, it's incredibly bare bones an there is hardly anyone playing online so that's useless.

I wished this was priced at $30. Can't see myself droppping 40 on tetris.

fernoca

Modes:
  • Featured Game Modes:
    • Marathon
    • Computer Battle
    • Fever
    • Survival
  • Party Game Modes:
    • Stage Racer Plus
    • Shadow Wide
    • Jigsaw
    • Tower Climber
    • Capture
    • Fit
    • Bombliss Plus
    • Sprint
    • Master Mode
  • Augmented Reality Game Modes:
    • AR Marathon
    • AR Climber
  • Local Multiplayer Game Modes (2P - 8P):
    • VS Battle
    • VS Stage Racer
    • VS Shadow Wide
    • VS Capture
    • Co-op Tower Climber
  • Download Play Game Modes (2P - 8P):
    • Marathon with Everyone
    • Fever with Everyone
    • VS Battle
  • Nintendo® Wi-Fi Connection Game Modes (2P - 6P):
    • 3 variants of World Battle
  • Discover new exciting Items for Fever using SpotPass

EDIT: Made it easier to read and fixed the "online" been up to 6 players, instead of 8 and offering 3 variants instead of 4.

Gravijah

fernoca said:
Modes: Over 20 Tetris game modes!
  • Featured Game Modes: Marathon, Computer Battle, Fever, and Survival
  • Party Game Modes: Stage Racer Plus, Shadow Wide, Jigsaw, Tower Climber, Capture, Fit, Bombliss Plus, Sprint, and Master Mode
  • Augmented Reality Game Modes: AR Marathon and AR Climber
  • Local Multiplayer Game Modes (2P - 8P): VS Battle, VS Stage Racer, VS Shadow Wide, VS Capture, and Co-op Tower Climber
  • Download Play Game Modes (2P - 8P): Marathon with Everyone, Fever with Everyone, and VS Battle
  • Nintendo® Wi-Fi Connection Game Modes (2P - 8P): 4 variants of World Battle
  • Discover new exciting Items for Fever using SpotPass

none of those are the tower thingy from tetris ds, are they? :(

fernoca

"Old" pics fom E3, but showing some of the modes and different than the ones posted in here back then:

4cSZ2.jpg
DQr1L.jpg
xyMek.jpg
86uVC.jpg
t3Rj3.jpg

KOgtt.jpg
IRIfC.jpg
yjxFx.jpg
4hrVf.jpg
qGWIP.jpg

beje

Banned
Confirmed as a low-price release in Europe as well. 30€ on retail, around 20-21€ (18 pounds) in Amazon UK. I hope Nintendo manage to standarize or "force" a low retail price for B-tier releases with this game for the rest of the publishers

beje said:
Confirmed as a low-price release in Europe as well. 30€ on retail, around 20-21€ (18 pounds) in Amazon UK. I hope Nintendo manage to standarize or "force" a low retail price for B-tier releases with this game for the rest of the publishers

Good news. Mind you though, it's not the first "budget" release on the 3DS (Puzzle Bobble universe was £29.99)

Here's hoping for a £19.99 price here in the UK. That would be perfect! (and Tetris Party Deluxe on DS did very well at that price point in Europe as well!)

M3d10n

beje said:
It's possible, because 3DS game cards under 1Gbyte are probably using the same internals as DS games. However, remember that 256 and 512MByte game cards were "top-range" DS cards, so I doubt they'll go reach $20.

beje

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
Good news. Mind you though, it's not the first "budget" release on the 3DS (Puzzle Bobble universe was £29.99)

Here's hoping for a £19.99 price here in the UK. That would be perfect! (and Tetris Party Deluxe on DS did very well at that price point in Europe as well!)

Puzzle Booble was a full price release (40€-45€) in Spain, wasn't aware of that.

M3d10n said:
It's possible, because 3DS game cards under 1Gbyte are probably using the same internals as DS games. However, remember that 256 and 512MByte game cards were "top-range" DS cards, so I doubt they'll go reach $20.

Well, I wasn't talking about strictly "forcing" but more like encouraging to release their secondary stuff at a more sane price point unless they want to sell 10 units total when compared to cheaper stuff, especially when said cheaper stuff is motherfucking Tetris. They did the same in Europe with Wii games: in the previous generation (PS2/Xbox/GC) standard retail price point for new releases was 60€, but Nintendo started releasing all their stuff at 50€ with some games sprinkled here and there at 40€ or even 30€ and third parties had to adapt their pricing. Nowadays only stuff released on Wii at 60€ are some Disney licensed craps like Tron or We Sing and Call of Duty (just because they can).

Chairhome

This might as well be the OT unless someone wants to make one, right? Leaked Target ad from CAG shows this as $30 also, but you also get a $10 giftcard! Nice. :-D

M3d10n said:

No, they're not the same internals. 3DS cards use completely different tech.

A 256MB 3DS card is actually cheaper to produce than a 256MB DS card according to what Iwata said in the last Investor Q&A.

M3d10n said:
I want this as a download, dammit. I want it permanently in my 3DS menu.
me too, I would have definitely buy it. It is not a game that I want to always play, but it is a game that I want to always be able to play (occasionally), this is some place that I wish 3DS had been up to with Vita.
at least e-Picross may be a sign of good things to come.

M3d10n

Nuclear Muffin said:
No, they're not the same internals. 3DS cards use completely different tech.

A 256MB 3DS card is actually cheaper to produce than a 256MB DS card according to what Iwata said in the last Investor Q&A.
Hmm, I didn't know that.

I assumed, since all the known 3DS game rips are under 4GBits and were done via DS hardware and no large game (like SSFIV 3D) were ripped, that the ripped games were using cards a DS could read (in raw form).

walking fiend said:
me too, I would have definitely buy it. It is not a game that I want to always play, but it is a game that I want to always be able to play (occasionally), this is some place that I wish 3DS had been up to with Vita.
at least e-Picross may be a sign of good things to come.
I think Nintendo (or some 3rd party) will release some retail 3DS games on the eShop eventually, probably as a kind of "Player's Choice". However, they'll probably wait until the title's shelf life runs out and even then probably only games 512MBs and under will make it, initially (games using 1GB and larger carts would be troublesome since the included SD card is only 2GBs).

The 18 pounds on amazon.co.uk makes this game very tempting. Especially since its right under the toll limit in my country. Yet to buy another tetris game since the original GB game which I still have. Definitely would be an improvement from that game with only one mode.

Nessus

I'll just play my cherished copy of Tetris DS.

10 player off of a single card, so good.

One person gets a mushroom item, a chorus of cursing.

Target is offering a $10 Gift card when you purchase Tetris Axis starting tomorrow. I think I might bite and then immediately use the gift card on Kirby: Mass Attack :D

jgkspsx

Sagitario said:
What makes Tetris DS the best version compared to others (the 3DS one, for example)?
Well, I dunno about best, but it's more an indicator of how cheap most of the Tetris products out there are. Take Tetris Splash or Tetris Live. They play OK. But in looks and music they seem sloppy and cheap, barely above z-grade free-to-play games. Also, many people think primarily of the Game Boy game when they think of Tetris.

Tetris DS did interesting new things, had great music that recalled 8-bit days, and had very loving attention paid to visual design both in game and in menus.

I might pick this up for $20, but... While I mourn the loss of Hudson, they weren't very good in recent years. I will need some pretty enthusiastic impressions to get me to spend $20 on it.

Hitokage said:
Nintendo fans like Nintendo references.
That's definitely a reason, but honestly the supertight control, kick-ass multiplayer, mode variety, and overall production value make it the best Tetris with or without NES references. Hudson missed a lot of important gameplay control intricacies that Nintendo used in Tetris DS.
Hudson's production values are also garbage smartphone quality backgrounds, and seeing my useless Mii marching while I play is one of the last thing I want on my screen. They're definitely decent Tetris iterations, but Tetris DS really raised the bar.

ace harding: private eye said:
That's definitely a reason, but honestly the supertight control, kick-ass multiplayer, mode variety, and overall production value make it the best Tetris with or without NES references. Hudson missed a lot of important gameplay control intricacies that Nintendo used in Tetris DS.
Hudson's production values are also garbage smartphone quality backgrounds, and seeing my useless Mii marching while I play is one of the last thing I want on my screen. They're definitely decent Tetris iterations, but Tetris DS really raised the bar.

Didn't it still have the infinite spin rule though?

Besides, there's also the Tetris: TGM series.

entremet

I loved Tetris DS. I heard copies of Tetris DS go for a good amount of money these days. Why didn't Nintendo reprint it?

Nintendo + Tetris = Gold.

cartman414 said:

Those who live by the infinite spin will die by it, guaranteed!
Plus Mario Kart DS had snaking issues, but it's still the best Mario Kart.

I'm sort of apprehensive about this, but I was on the fence about getting it before and the $10 gift card deal put me over the edge. Really doubting it'll live up to the DS version but it looks like most of the modes are pretty fun. Don't really care for the Miis and like other people have said it has that "extremely low production costs" look that a lot of Tetris games do.

I wonder if this will end up becoming rare like the DS version. Assuming this is decent, with Bit.Trip and Devil Survivor Overclocked there's an increasing number of pretty good games with low print runs coming out for 3DS.

Hitokage said:
Nintendo fans like Nintendo references.
And music tidbits, so good!

but it doesn't look having less production values compared to Tetris DS to me. Actually, as long as the traditional Tetris blocks go, it looks considerably better actually.

Alrus

cartman414 said:

Infinite Spin is mandated by The Tetris Company, every Tetris game made is obligated to have it or some bullshit like that. Nothing to do with Nintendo...

I missed Tetris DS when it came out and the game seems to be really expensive now, I really wish Nintendo could have reprinted it (I think there were some legal issues preventing them from doing so right?)

The Nintendo stuff in Tetris DS never made any sense to me. When playing Tetris, you pay attention to nothing but the well and pieces. It doesn't matter what's in the background or whatever, you could have a picture of goatse on the top screen and it wouldn't make any difference at all.

This looks like Tetris Party with more stuff, so it looks so much better than Tetris DS, in my eyes anyway. The Giant Bomb Quick Look sold me on this, will be picking it up for sure once I actually get a 3DS, haha

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
AlexMeloche said:
Interesting name. Better than Tetris 3D.

But not as good as Tetrisphere (in 3D).

Looking forward to this, but considering I couldn't find the money to buy Kirby, I doubt I'll be picking this up right away.

watershed

Banned
I feel really tempted to buy this game using the target deal but I don't want it to become my new SSF43D which just kinda sat there until I sold it back.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
ace harding: private eye said:
Outside nonstandard modes the main thing that actually differentiates one Guideline Tetris game from another is control respnse and autoshift timings(DAS) and quite frankly Tetris DS falls short with its slow autoshift. Tetris Splash may lack single player modes but it performs much better, perhaps to a fault as there isn't any delay from one allowed hard drop input to another. Tetris on the PS3 strikes a nice balance by being only a smidge less responsive than Tetris Splash while providing more modes. There really isn't an excuse for slow DAS because Super Tetris 3 by Bullet Proof Software had modern piece movement almost two decades ago. It also had lock delay but no wallkicks.

There's also the matter of the game turning to shit at level 20 but that's common to all Guideline games at that speed thanks to indeterminate SRS rotation and infintely resettable lock delay.

I'm probably going to pick this up tomorrow. 3D Tetris just sounds really good. The backgrounds also really remind me of Planet Puzzle League.

Top Bottom