• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS XL First Impressions/Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mistle

Holy shit it's huge!
I need this. Especially now that people are saying the screen looks fine/3D appears better (even if it's just better because bigger)

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
These impressions are really selling me on the XL instead of the original. The only downside is no option to use the CPP, but since I don't really play MH and won't be buying MGS3 for 3DS it might not even be an issue.

don't say things like that...

say it like this; Really Reggie? You could not get an extra 2 inches to the top screen to match my Wii U gamepad? I WANT MORE REGGIE!

Wii U pad = 3DS XXL wut? explained.

TV screen = top screen (3D TV required)

Bottom screen = Wii U pad's touch screen,
With dual analog sticks.

AM I THE FIRST TO THINK OF THIS?!

I like how they made the analog stick be darker and fade in with the color of the system, unlike the 3DS. That nonsensical bright analog stick ruined the original black 3DS's looks.

wHt3O.jpg

I mean screen quality/resolution wise. Dont they use a S-LCD? How does it stack up to vita's OLED? What is the resolution on this thing? Wasn't it like 800x545 or something like that? Can it play avi or mp4s?

fauxtrot

Banned
I'm so glad I sold my LoZ-themed 3DS for a profit a few months ago... any word whether the US will get colors other than the red & blue tops? The metallic grey XL in the OP is so very pretty! :(

Wii U pad = 3DS XL wut

TV screen = top screen (3D TV required)

Bottom screen = Wii U pad's touch screen,
With dual analog sticks.

AM I THE FIRST TO THINK OF THIS?!

welp kinda glad I cannot see 3D I bet Nintendo already played with this kind of idea in the lab :) would not shock me if a few years down they had a game that featured this.

Even Smash Bros 3DS/WiiU could have the same 3D effects lol

I'm liking the pics and impressions so far, but regardless of all that there isn't a chance in hell I'm buying this thing in red or blue. I'm a grown ass man. I need my handheld gaming devices to at least look somewhat adult in nature, so I can play my MarioKart at work.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I'm liking the pics and impressions so far, but regardless of all that there isn't a chance in hell I'm buying this thing in red or blue. I'm a grown ass man. I need my handheld gaming devices to at least look somewhat adult in nature, so I can play my MarioKart at work.

you want your portable games device to look adult in nature,
so you can play at work?

W T F

lol

dkeane

Looks good in that video. Could have done without that guys cameltoe.

Wish they were releasing the black or white in then US. I'll wait until they're released.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Looks great. Will support this effort when Nintendo of America acknowledges that people matured past the playground demographic prefer their devices to have more palpable colored shells.

Truth101

Banned
Looks great. Will support this effort when Nintendo of America acknowledges that people matured past the playground demographic prefer their devices to have more palpable colored shells.

Oh, come on. Sure the color choices can be better, but plenty of adults enjoy a world that isn't black/white.

RPGCrazied

Why do people keep saying these are kid colors? Almost every device known to man has these colors from digital cameras, cell phones, tablets. While they could've have easily added a few more colors, but this isn't going to stop me from buying a red 3DS. Doesn't look kiddy at all.

Universaldamps

Neo Member
This thing looks awesome. It shall be mine. Is there are confirmation of what colours Australia is getting? I assume it's going to be the same as Europe. I really want a white one :-(

these colors will help this thing stand out against all the slick blacks greys and whites of smart devices so its really not a bad move for NA

I would buy it in Yellow and Black :3

boyshine

I mean screen quality/resolution wise. Dont they use a S-LCD? How does it stack up to vita's OLED? What is the resolution on this thing? Wasn't it like 800x545 or something like that?

3DS/3DSXL:
3D screen: 400x240
Touch screen: 320x240

Vita:
960 x 544

PSP:
480x272

Playing a PSP game on Vita will pretty much indicate how 3DS games will look resolution wise on 3DSXL.

Amir0x

Banned
I mean screen quality/resolution wise. Dont they use a S-LCD? How does it stack up to vita's OLED? What is the resolution on this thing? Wasn't it like 800x545 or something like that? Can it play avi or mp4s?

It doesn't stack against the Vita's OLED. The screen itself, from what we've been told, is resolution par with 3DS original, and the screen itself has received no dramatic technology upgrade (of course, the only "advantage" the screen has - and I use the word advantage liberally - is that it has that dreadful autostereoscopic 3D technology. Vita's screen gracefully lets us not suffer that horror and just is content to give us eye fuckingly gorgeous crisp screen visuals 24/7). I mean if the screen is what you want, it's actually an insult to OLED's everywhere to even compare it with the 3DS comparably pathetic screen tech - and that includes the XL. Vita OLED is like an order of magnitude superior.

Satiako said:
If you are 'mature' you don't give a shit about what other people think of the colour of your 3DS.

I always thought this was a weird thing to say. People tend to be more color conscious the older they get - they want to match their accessories, they have a favorite, they have an aesthetic preference and yes there ARE real social considerations. It's actually more accurately a mark of immaturity to ignore such a thing altogether. Now it's true that if you have a favorite that isn't socially accepted but you don't get it BECAUSE of that, it's a mark of immaturity. But most of these people complaining just don't like these colors, period, because it's displeasing to the eye, or childish looking, or whatever. It's absolutely an adult thing to do

I def want one at launch but the Red and Blue choices are turning me away. I'd prefer Yellow, Orange, Purple, or even White (def not my fav though.)

Actually the silver one looks ok.

The extra large screens look great, and I like the other changes like the volume buttons and stylus location.

My only gripe is that I don't think it will fit in my pockets. Normally it's not that big of an issue, but I did enjoy bringing the 3DS to PAX, and I could see it being great at other events. Upgrading to this would basically eliminate any chances of street passing I would get since I would not carry it around. If only Nintendo's downloadable games weren't tied to the system, and I could have one for carrying around, and one for playing at home, I'd be all set.

Oh well, still 50/50 on upgrading.

Mr. Robot

you want your portable games device to look adult in nature,
so you can play at work?

W T F

lol

lol indeed, seriously, what is up with people that think like that? is it insecurity? i would understand a color preference but those reasons are just.... or maybe he is just joking...

canvee

The transfer doesn't actually transfer games etc over. It copies all the internal settings (streetpass hits, miis, number of times you've played demos etc etc and the licenses for your eshop purchases). Once that transfer completes, you simply take the memory card out of the old 3DS and pop it in the new one and it's essentially like you have the same 3DS again.

What about for those just wanting to change to a higher capacity SD card? Do you just copy everything onto the new card?

canvee

region free would have been such a megaton for this thing :(

Yeah. I'm wondering if I should get another pal XL or an American XL because I'm wondering what games will be released in which regions. I want to import American 3ds games because they are way cheaper than AUS/NZ prices.

Salsa

It's weird. There's something about this revision that makes the future of the 3DS seem all the more bright to me, even though this has nothing to do with future game releases and whatnot.

I guess the hardware was always lacking IMO, in a way. The viewing angles, the ugly design, not matte finish, different sized/too small screens.

This put almost all those "doubts" to rest, first time I really, really wanna get one (SMT4 helps). Feelsgoodman.

Amir0x

Banned
region free would have been such a megaton for this thing :(

Don't get me wrong, I support region free-ness 100%. But megaton? I'm a hardcore flagwaver, and again, I believe this should be a feature of every system, but "megatons" are generally reserved for news that would matter to more than like... what, 3% of the population that imports games? I'm probably being generous with that number!

I've only ever specifically imported (game-wise) like two titles, and I got two or three titles sent to me by some friends. In my entire gaming career! And I consider myself pretty well hardcore, as hardcore labels go anyway. I'm sure there are people on GAF who have entire libraries filled with import titles, but the actual sliver of the gaming population who would ever utilize the region free feature is probably so tiny that companies like Nintendo don't even think it could appreciably hurt the appeal of their system vs. the perceived benefit they feel they get from controlling what games hit which territories.

Jintor

I do have an inordinante fondness for banana yellow, mainly as a result of those damn cars in Vice City. What were they called? Stingers?

It's weird. There's something about this revision that makes the future of the 3DS seem all the more bright to me, even though this has nothing to do with future game releases and whatnot.

I guess the hardware was always lacking to me, in a way. The viewing angles, the ugly design, not matte finish, different sized/too small screens.

This put almost all those "doubts" to rest, feelsgoodman.

I think its also been the incredible level of positivity about a Nintendo product too! All very feel good!

I guess the hardware was always lacking IMO, in a way. The viewing angles, the ugly design, not matte finish, different sized/too small screens.

This put almost all those "doubts" to rest, first time I really, really wanna get one (SMT5 helps). Feelsgoodman.

For me the biggest issues with the original are (1) the screens are incredibly tiny and low res and (2) my huge library of DS games either looks bad on the 3DS or really tiny (1:1 mode). Now I have really big (low res) screens and my DS games are going to be a nice size in 1:1 mode. I need to hold it to see if it fixes my other big issue with the 3DS - hand cramps from the device being so tiny.

SmZA

What if I'm not that enthused about the current 3DS games? Will DS games look better than they did on the DSi XL because of this filtering or will they be worse because of shitty upscaling?

Won't playing old games be awkward with the D-pad on the left being lower than the ABXY buttons on the right? Or does the stick work fine?

Most importantly, will the battery life (in practise, not PR estimates) be better or worse than previous consoles with DS games?

I'm not expecting answers at this early stage, I'll be waiting for first hands-on impressions on GAF to make my decision.

Edit: wait, SMT5 is coming out on this? That changes everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom