• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS XL First Impressions/Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Instro

So like, arn't they going to have to release an XL version of the Circle Pad Pro as well? It'll be massive lol.

beje

Banned
I wonder if people don't realise that 90% of the times you will get a better deal selling your console on ebay or craiglist than doing one of those borderline-scam trade-in promotions.

RPGCrazied

I wonder if people don't realise that 90% of the times you will get a better deal selling your console on ebay or craiglist than doing one of those borderline-scam trade-in promotions.

Yes, gamestop rips you a new one when it comes to trading in systems. I kid you not, my brother traded his 360 in a few months back for $40. Don't do it!

Duxxy3

Convenience is worth it for many.

M74

Anyone lurking who happens to work for NoA, could you kindly ask Reggie to bring us the silver model? Thanks.

Thoraxes

Picking one up for my mother. That was the only reason she didn't want the 3DS, was because the screen was too small for her.

Downhome

I have seen the chart on the data transfer information, but I am not clear on one thing.

Do things like "time spent playing _________" get transfered over as well?

Kamille

I really wanted to resist getting one of these, but it's becoming more difficult. I swear I can't deal with the poor color choices for NA though. I'd take silver, black or white, but these shades of blue and red don't appeal to me at all. I'm going to put off buying one for as long as I can in hopes some different colors get announced.

Anyone lurking who happens to work for NoA, could you kindly ask Reggie to bring us the silver model? Thanks.

Man, forget silver. White is where it's at. We need at least one solid color over here.

Those screens look fantastic. I wonder what is up with the rounded pixel thing. Does anyone have more info on that?

Why can't we(USA) get white or all black? I would get one and I already have a 3ds, if I could get one in either of those colors. Or a purple 3ds XL would be grand.

AGITΩ

Between this and the color choice, WTF is Nintendo of America doing? There must be a reason, I just don't see it.

NOA Reasoning: Launching it same time as NSMB2, why? Make 1 Commercial advertising both products = Less Marketing Dollars Spent, use NSMB2 as the Killer App for the 3DSXL. Reggie used to be VP of Sales and Marketing, so it makes sense looking at it that way.

The One thing I want to know about the XL is it still using those shitty, grainy quality cameras the DSi's and 3DS has? On the XL unit, the shittyness will be more noticeable.

Kuramu

This is the first time that I refuse to buy something I want just becuase of the godawful colors it is launching with (in NA). Blue and red, seriously? Both White and Black look amazing, and I would even settle for silver. But blue and red? Not happening.

Same here. I was seriously excited, Day 1. But those colors....

no impressions on the dpad ...

It still looks to be in a painful position, doesn't it? Given the increase in screen real estate though (which should make playing all my DS games in 1:1 mode a lot more palatable) I'm more OK with the Dpad. I'm an American and I get that some people are angry about color choice, but that's a very minor consideration for me personally. I can't overlook the plusses - huge screens, "proper" stylus positioning, no glowing 3D text, no more glossy cover, and did I mention all that screen real estate?! The person that previewed it said the one thing I was hoping to hear - that it's like playing the games again for the very first time because you can see so much more of the details. Can't wait for Zelda OOT. I'm in for day 1.

Tobor

AGITΩ;39266467 said:
NOA Reasoning: Launching it same time as NSMB2, why? Make 1 Commercial advertising both products = Less Marketing Dollars Spent, use NSMB2 as the Killer App for the 3DSXL. Reggie used to be VP of Sales and Marketing, so it makes sense looking at it that way.

No, it makes no sense looking at it that way. You can still have your kiddy colors and release one non-embarrassing sku for adults.

AGITΩ

No it makes no sense looking at it that way. You can still have your kiddy colors and release one non-embarrassing sku for adults.

You know NOA is Cheap. They'll stick to the Minimum and say they are maximizing. They are likely going with Red/Black and Blue/Black because Red has been one of the best selling 3DS Sku's and "Everyone likes blue". Though also given that the Design of the XL seems to be almost a carbon copy of the DSlite design, "Adults" might not be their Target audience for the XL as the DSiXL was targeted towards Seniors. Majority of the complainers about the 3DS screensize were parents that bought an XL for their kids, Screen size alone made them feel the DSiXL was a superior product to the 3DS.

So, is Nintendo going to sell Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo 3DS XL concurrently, especially in Japan and Europe? If no, this makes the no charger included thing even more ridiculous.

I really want to trade my 3ds in for one, but the 3ds price here in the UK has crashed like hell the past few months (one of the reasons I bought one), but the XL prices so far are insane since Nintendo didn't set a MSRP here.

Grrr

hatchx

Banned
I want one now. I didn't before opening this thread.

I wonder how Kid Icarus plays on it. If it'll be easier with the bigger screen, or if it'll be worse considering we'll have to move our stylus' that much more.

AGITΩ

So, is Nintendo going to sell Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo 3DS XL concurrently, especially in Japan and Europe? If no, this makes the no charger included thing even more ridiculous.

Did they discontinue the DSi when the XL came out? They are essentially the same product. They will be keeping both available because of consumer options. Though with only a $30 difference between the SKU's the XL will likely still surpass the 3DS in Day to Day sales, meanwhile outside of the US, retailers and benefit from the lack of Chargers to increase their accessory attachment and have less customers just buying the system and being done with their day. Retailers Win, Customers lose.

goldenpp72

I'm really sad, I want this day 1 but I just don't think the colors NA is getting look appealing, really disappointing, I'd LOVE a black version as I think it would be my final 3ds :(

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Happy that impressions are positive. Want one. I love the idea of glasses free 3D, and in games that use it well, like Mario 3D, mario Kart etc it's very effective. But I tense up trying to hold it in the sweet spot so it's not comfortable. Never mind the insanity of gyro aiming + 3D like zelda.

boyshine

Of course they are, XL consoles are far too big for small kids' hands. DSi XL never replaced DSi, 3DS XL will not replace 3DS.

I'm really sad, I want this day 1 but I just don't think the colors NA is getting look appealing, really disappointing, I'd LOVE a black version as I think it would be my final 3ds :(

Why did they derail from the DSlite fashion to release in white then black?

I wouldn't ever buy in red/blue.

Wow it looks much better in those photos than in the press pics. I didn't want one before but after seeing those...

Also, why don't they include the stand? That thing is invaluable to me! And those launch colors are really bad.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
All the colours are boring as hell and the black/colour combos are hideous. I couldn't walk into a store and buy an XL if the purple 3DS was staring up at me next to those new monstrosities.

No, it makes no sense looking at it that way. You can still have your kiddy colors and release one non-embarrassing sku for adults.

A proper marketing campaign for the US would have it releasing on July 4th in Red, Blue AND White. Dang you, missed opportunities...and missed white.

Amir0x

Banned
Curious about this "filter." I wonder if you can turn it off. I really wish the battery/etc improvements could just come in the same form factor as the regular 3DS, I want my handhelds to be smaller, not bigger. Even the Vita is too goddamn big.

Reading everyone's complaints about colors makes me think that Nintendo should just release systems in black or white. As soon as they start doing colors everyone seems to freak out about which colors or even shades of a color they release.

I'm damn excited to get a larger 3DS that appears to be much more comfortable for adult hands.

I'll buy whatever color they have in stock when I stop by and pick it up.

Randdalf

Hnngghh, I really want this now. I might wait on finishing Kid Icarus until I get one so I can see it on the big screeeenn. Only problem is that I'm very attached to the current 3DS.

I really wish Amazon US would get over whatever issue it has with Nintendo and start selling their handhelds again. Literally the only handheld they currently stock is the limited edition Pokemon Black DSi bundle. Please don't make me go to a brick-and-mortar, Amazon. Please please please.

I really wish Amazon US would get over whatever issue it has with Nintendo and start selling their handhelds again. Literally the only handheld they currently stock is the limited edition Pokemon Black DSi bundle. Please don't make me go to a brick-and-mortar, Amazon. Please please please.

It's been almost a year since they've stopped carrying Nintendo hardware. I am shocked at the complete lack of media attention to this as well. They just recently started carrying the Wii again....

Santiako

Reading everyone's complaints about colors makes me think that Nintendo should just release systems in black or white. As soon as they start doing colors everyone seems to freak out about which colors or even shades of a color they release.

I'm damn excited to get a larger 3DS that appears to be much more comfortable for adult hands.

I'll buy whatever color they have in stock when I stop by and pick it up.
Kids, probably the biggest market for handhelds, love colours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom