• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS XL First Impressions/Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.

linkboy

I'll pick this up as soon as the US gets colors that don't suck ass. The silver one honestly should be releasing world wide.

I'll pick this up as soon as the US gets colors that don't suck ass. The silver one honestly should be releasing world wide.

Pretty much my thoughts. I'm fine with my 3DS for now so I have no reason to rush out and buy this. It does seem like a nice upgrade though, and I'd like to get one eventually, so hopefully some decent colors come soon.

Though I do wonder how it feels while playing laying down. I often play my 3DS in bed, so hopefully the XL isn't too big. How wide is it compared to a Vita? I can hold it pretty comfortably so assuming it's similar the XL should be fine.

WillyFive

I like how they made the analog stick be darker and fade in with the color of the system, unlike the 3DS. That nonsensical bright analog stick ruined the original black 3DS's looks.

I kind of want one. How does the screen compare to my vita. Also curious on how the d-pad compares to vitas.

wHt3O.jpg

I kind of want one. How does the screen compare to my vita. Also curious on how the d-pad compares to vitas.

I don't think I've ever used a Dpad that's better than the Vita's. The Dpad on the 3DS is by no means bad, but the location near the bottom of the device causes me some pretty bad hand cramps.

This is exactly what I held off buying a 3DS for! No charger though? Whose stupid decision was that?
The NA bundle has a charger.

I wish this came out before July 31 so I could play Kingdom Hearts on it though. Now I need to decide whether or not to but this when it comes out or wait for a better color.

moozoom

I want one... but I absolutely can't play Kid Icarus without the circle pad pro (lefty) and I like Resident evil better with it.

I guess I'll keep my launch unit and probably buy one later when I've finished playing these games... the silver one is gorgeous.

Theonik

The NA bundle has a charger.

I wish this came out before July 31 so I could play Kingdom Hearts on it though. Now I need to decide whether or not to but this when it comes out or wait for a better color.
So at any rate the "genius" that came up with that idea doesn't seem to be employed in NoA. How much would a charger/cradle set you back anyway?
Edit: Oh, so no dock? I guess it makes sense given this is larger.

IrishNinja

goddamn, after all that talk in the original thread, this shit was mad sexy.

blue unit, day fuckin' one. again, ill miss my zelda unit but that screen is exactly what i wanted.

Just three ugly colors. I'm choosing Refusal until a better choice is out.
Yeah, that vivid refusal looks better than the red and blue honestly. I'll probably wait for a better color. Wanted to get this on day 1, but being that this is strictly an unneeded purchase, color is more important for me.

Sorry this is a little off topic, but do we know what games are going to be available for download on 3DS? I know that NSMB2 is going to be available as a digital download at launch, but what other games will be offered?

The XL looks really nice and I definitely want one, but especially for handhelds I really like the idea of having all of my games on the system, so I'd like to get a 32GB SD card and go all digital. If NSMB2 is going to be the only game available for awhile I'll hold off until Luigi's Mansion and/ or Paper Mario are out. If there's going to be a decent selection the day the XL comes out or shortly after I'll pick it up Day 1.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Looks pretty good but I'm in no rush to get a larger 3DS. I'll take this opportunity to wait for a colour I like.

Yeah, that vivid refusal looks better than the red and blue honestly. I'll probably wait for a better color. Wanted to get this on day 1, but being that this is strictly an unneeded purchase, color is more important for me.

I'd just be upset if I bought one of these colors right out of the gate and they release a better color not too long after. My patience with holding off until a new 3DS design paid off, but now I just need to keep it up a bit longer until they can be competent enough to release a color that should have been released right out of the gate. I'll never understand it, but whatever.

My reason ultimately being is that I would like for my Wii, 3DS, and WiiU to all be the same color. And I just love the way that white Nintendo systems look. Hell when the DS Lite launched in white, just owning the damn thing was satisfying because of the sleek design and white color. I'm anal like that but I can't help that.

I'd just be upset if I bought one of these colors right out of the gate and they release a better color not too long after. My patience with holding off until a new 3DS design paid off, but now I just need to keep it up a bit longer until they can be competent enough to release a color that should have been released right out of the gate. I'll never understand it, but whatever.

My reason ultimately being is that I would like for my Wii, 3DS, and WiiU to all be the same color. And I just love the way that white Nintendo systems look. Hell when the DS Lite launched in white, just owning the damn thing was satisfying because of the sleek design and white color. I'm anal like that but I can't help that.

how liberal has Nintendo been with adding new DSi XL colors?

They may continue to add a whole bunch of regular 3DS colors and bundles while just keeping the 3DS XL niche though. It depends on if these improvements are true and this is the best 3DS to own maybe they will go all out. I'm not going to bet on it.

how liberal has Nintendo been with adding new DSi XL colors?

They may continue to add a whole bunch of regular 3DS colors and bundles while just keeping the 3DS XL niche though. It depends on if these improvements are true and this is the best 3DS to own maybe they will go all out. I'm not going to bet on it.

ugh, you really think so? I'd simply love a white one. It shouldn't be too much to ask or hope for.

your logic is sound though and I don't know how long I'd be able to go without Mario 2 or Castlevania: MOF.

My last Nintendo handheld purchases were:

Red-Black DS Lite
Bright Pink DSi
Blue/Black DSi XL
Purple 3DS

I'm OK with Red or Blue. The only concern I had was that in the initial pictures the material its made out of resembles what they make my daughters outdoor plastic toys out of. But in the video it appears to be stronger than that. I'm happy. Ultimately for me the shell is the shell and all that matters is how much more of my games I'm seeing on the larger screens.

watershed

Banned
Damn it, if there is some kind of effect to make games look even better on those big screens this thing will be hard to resist.

I agree. All my Nintendo systems are white, except that pesky red 3DS.

randomkid

I don't need a 3DS until like February or so when Soul Hackers comes out, and I'd like to think by then another more sane color will arrive. The problem though is that there will likely be some very good Black Friday and holiday deals and bundles. So the battle here is between cheapness and aesthetics. I think cheapness will be the victor. Maybe I can keep it sealed for like three months or something while I wait haha.

Has it been confirmed that you can transfer all the streetpass hits and miis over to the 3DS XL?

The transfer doesn't actually transfer games etc over. It copies all the internal settings (streetpass hits, miis, number of times you've played demos etc etc and the licenses for your eshop purchases). Once that transfer completes, you simply take the memory card out of the old 3DS and pop it in the new one and it's essentially like you have the same 3DS again.

If I get an XL I'll transfer all my Ambassador stuff over to the XL, keep my old 3DS as a streetpass partner and pokemon/animal crossing puppet-trader

ugh, you really think so? I'd simply love a white one. It shouldn't be too much to ask or hope for.

your logic is sound though and I don't know how long I'd be able to go without Mario 2 or Castlevania: MOF.

we may still get the white by holiday or sometime next year it could be the launch rush keeping NA / EU locked out for now, still its Nintendo they like region exclusives for Japan

again if the improvements are true this may become the hottest selling 3DS version so that might push them for more colors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom