• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS XL First Impressions/Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.
When is this supposed to come out in the US? I hope Gamestop does some sort of trade in program for current 3DS owners, that XL looks absolutely fantastic. My big issue with my 3DS was going from my Vita to the 3ds, the screen is so weak in comparison, this will help resolve most issues (aside from hands hurting also).

Still upset with no 2nd stick :(

Wolfe

I dunno. The whole device looks really cheap to me. The three weird buttons under the screen add to the cheap plastic look.

Maybe the whole device will look better irl, but so far I'm not really impressed.

I like how matte plastic = cheap plastic.

I'd take matte over glossy any day and the plastic nintendo uses has always been top notch.

When is this supposed to come out in the US? I hope Gamestop does some sort of trade in program for current 3DS owners, that XL looks absolutely fantastic. My big issue with my 3DS was going from my Vita to the 3ds, the screen is so weak in comparison, this will help resolve most issues (aside from hands hurting also).

Dude really?

Zeeman

Literally just bought my sexy purple 3DS a couple weeks ago, so I can wait until NA gets better colours, but damn this thing looks amazing

beje

Banned
I care a lot about size as I play with my 3DS pretty much everywhere so I'll stick with the OG version
until purple non-XL one is launched in Europe

Yeah, I carry a backpack or manpurse everywhere, but with an XL model I can't just close it and stick it in my back pocket for a little moment if I need my hands free.

Before the 3DS price drop, Gamestop had a deal where you could trade in DS XL and get a 3DS for $99. I hope a similar deal happens.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
And yeah are we absolutely certain this thing CANNOT be charged without buying extra hardware in JP/EU if you don't already have a previous DS/3DS system? Maybe it just comes with a charging cable but no cradle or something?

rozay

Banned
This looks great, I always felt the 3DS screens were too small for the size of the device so this will make things better.

Jay Sosa

Damn I really want to get one..but how important is the second stick?

Any wild guesses when or even if we'll ever see a 3DS XL redesign with dual sticks?

Cause I really don't feel like spending 200€ on a device that I will replace again in 2 years or that I have to buy a circle pad pro for just to be able to play all games.

beje

Banned
And yeah are we absolutely certain this thing CANNOT be charged if you don't already have a previous DS/3DS system? Maybe it just comes with a cable but no cradle or something?

Hmmmmm 3rd party AC chargers and USB chargers can be found every-fucking-where at 4€ a pop. And Nintendo themselves already promised they will have plenty of their own standalone chargers and charger+craddle bundles available since day 1.

Damn I really want to get one..but how important is the second stick?

Any wild guesses when or even if we'll ever see a 3DS XL redesign with dual sticks?

Cause I really don't feel like spending 200€ on a device that I will replace again in 2 years or that I have to buy a circle pad pro for just to be able to play all games.

It's not.

Looks like a DSi XL - which is to say it looks like it is comfortable to hold, has perfectly sized screens and is built like a tank. Now all Nintendo has to do is release that white one in Europe with a free AC adaptor and they've got my purchase sealed.

FillerB

And yeah are we absolutely certain this thing CANNOT be charged if you don't already have a previous DS/3DS system? Maybe it just comes with a cable but no cradle or something?

As has been said everywhere by now.

US: Charger included.
Everywhere else: Charger not included. Charger or cradle need to be bought separate.

If you look at the European packaging you can see a big warning message stating this.

Shiggy

Surely there must be some misreporting here. Does it come with a USB cable or something? If there is no way to charge it after use other than buying a separate charger, there are going to be a lot of unhappy customers and extremely negative first impressions.

There's a sign on the packshot:
811RjBJmbiL._AA1500_.jpg

Forever

Banned
So I'll be able to play all games without any problems? Then what's the point of the circle pad in the first place?

The circle pad is an optional add on for a handful of titles. It lets lefties play Kid Icarus and it lets you play Resident Evil like a shooter, but it's totally not required. Resident Evil 4 didn't use dual analog either.

Rich!

I would like to know this as well. Is it as clicky/rattle-y as the original 3DS or is it improved at all?

A post I made earlier:

Just made this to show the extra room below the d-pad, and to prove that both the d-pad and circle pads are both the same size and most likely identical parts as the original, as they layer over perfectly:

iXv69ZiU9qdOZ.jpg

There's a significant amount of extra room on the XL below the D-pad that isn't on the original 3DS, which should make it far, FAR easier to use.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Yeah I'm getting this, will give my 3DS to my sister kids.

Everyone wants a bigger screen nowadays.

Have you seen the latests Smartphones? My SIII's screen is almost as big as Vita's.

Is what is demanded by customers.

that very funny,because not long ago many were attacking Vita's size saying hugeness is one of it's biggest flaws here in Gaf.

ASIS

Honestly, i was like "cool".. but now I kinda need this upgrade. The extra battery life + screens = hhnnnng.

beje

Banned
I want to hear more about this screen filter. Like, is it adding anti-alasing, or blur effects? I'm curious.

If I'm not mistaken, people are reporting some kind of "rounded" pixels instead of square ones so the image looks a little less rough. I think the GBA SP did the same trick.

dankir

Is there going to be a circle pad pro add on for this? I want to play RE:R and other stuff on the way its supposed to be played.

RPGCrazied

If I'm not mistaken, people are reporting some kind of "rounded" pixels instead of square ones so the image looks a little less rough. I think the GBA SP did the same trick.

Interesting. I hope that helps with the jaggies. I wonder what games like Kid Icarus will look like on this screen.

ghibli99

I dunno. The whole device looks really cheap to me. The three weird buttons under the screen add to the cheap plastic look.
You have apparently never used the current 3DS with the inarguable abortions that are the Select/Home/Start "buttons". :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom