• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS XL First Impressions/Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I'm not buying any of the talk about it being an actual upgrade over the current (outside the battery life and the obvious size differences/preferences based on that) but at the very least this kind of positive reactions should mean it's not actually noticeably worse in image quality, aliasing, etc, which is what I had assumed until now (being of the same resolution yet larger size and all). If that remains true I may even consider this model if I get a 3DS, depending on how they price it here (or in the UK) and if it has the charger.

I actually like how it looks (at least in some colors, the black shown here looks really nice to me) even though it's not trying to be slick like those early 3DS fan mockups I at the time hoped the 3DS resembled. Matte video gamey toy like systems ftw! By the way I just noticed most of those old mockups only have one analog thingie too, did they just guess right or did we actually know those facts before seeing it?
iq79I1Z1l8coY.jpg

TheExodu5

Banned
I adore my XL...I may just have to buy this.

I'm not buying any of the talk about it being an upgrade over the current (outside the battery life and the obvious size differences/preferences based on that) but at the very least this kind of positive reactions should mean it's not actually noticeably worse in image quality, aliasing, etc, which is what I had assumed until now (being of the same resolution yet larger size and all). If that remains true I may even consider this model if I get a 3DS, depending on how they price it here and if it has the charger.

Get the XL if you're not overly concerned about portability. Having a bigger screen makes the system far more enjoyable.

orioto

Good Art™

No, it makes sens..
Why do you think there are not that many huge auto stereoscopic screens ?

But i hope it doesn't apply to the XL.
Now, the "more obvious" 3d effect people are referring to could just be that the depth is bigger, for simple mathematic reasons.

(And i read the first post yeah)

Tarin02543

Even though I think the 3DS has many flaws I still love the system, I'd definitely be interested in buying the XL (better face buttons would be a good reason). More than likely I'll just invest my money into Wii U instead

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
TAKE HOME MESSAGE: never buy the first iteration of a Nintendo handheld.

Indeed. I already learned that since GBA > SP; so I only bought DS lite out of DS family so far.

I haven't bought 3DS, and I had been waiting for right one. I suspect that Luigi's Mansion 3DS XL bundle might happens. I recalled that I heard rumor about Green 3DS; but it just disappeared. No wonder, they might do Green 3DS XL.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
No, it makes sens..
Why do you think there are not that many huge auto stereoscopic screens ?

But i hope it doesn't apply to the XL.
Now, the "more obvious" 3d effect people are referring to could just be that the depth is bigger, for simple mathematic reasons.

I was asking because the first post says the 3D is better

Bigger than Vita? Gosh, the next DS will be bigger than a MacBook Air XD

It's not bigger than the vita, and the screen is barely bigger than the vita's screen.

Rich!

No, it's true, I've seen a couple of 3d picture frames that are bigger and the sweet spot is tiny, maybe the tech is improved in this screen.

Again. First post. The previews from people who have actually used the XL have both stated that the 3D is better and easier to see and keep in view. I'll take that evidence over anyone on a messageboard who hasn't laid eyes on the console in person yet.

Double D

Completely sold on the device. The colors we're getting thought look like complete shit. That solid white one is the stuff that boners are made of. I'll buy one the second it's released in the US.

HyperHip

I am praying they fixed that damn dpad. Other than I'm all on board.

Playing Star Fox, KI, and DOA on that big screen is gonna be pure bliss.

Rich!

Yes. Deal doesn't seem to be on anymore as far as I can tell. Fuck, I would have so bought one at that price

£167 on Zavvi/Gamestop/The Hut isn't bad, really. Free shipping too.

To be completely honest, considering that the 3DS is still £139 in most stores (like ASDA), paying an additional £30 for the XL isn't too bad.

Will buy when they add that 2nd nub.

So you're never, ever, ever going to buy it then.

OK. That's cool.

taoofjord

But how will the graphics look with a screen that large using the same resolution as the normal 3DS? For those comparing the XL to the Vita remember that the Vita has a higher resolution and a greater pixel density.

As someone who also owns an iPad (3rd Gen) and an iPhones 4S I'm hoping it won't be as bad as I fear.

This impressions are damn good and they address many of the problems I have with my current 3DS. But that doesn't look portable at all; it's a deal breaker for me because I like to carry my console in my pocket. Furthermore, I'd have to buy it and then sell my current console because of the lack of accounts, which is indeed a bad deal. I hope this does not tempt me further...

Majmun

I dunno. The whole device looks really cheap to me. The three weird buttons under the screen add to the cheap plastic look.

Maybe the whole device will look better irl, but so far I'm not really impressed.

Michan

In NA it comes with a charger, in EU and JP you gotta buy it separately or use the one from the original.

Surely there must be some misreporting here. Does it come with a USB cable or something? If there is no way to charge it after use other than buying a separate charger, there are going to be a lot of unhappy customers and extremely negative first impressions.

How are the new start/select/home buttons?

So awful on current 3ds.
They look much better. From IGN:

I2DG4.jpg

Surely there must be some misreporting here. Does it come with a USB cable or something? If there is no way to charge it after use other than buying a separate charger, there are going to be a lot of unhappy customers and extremely negative first impressions.
Comes with NOTHING. No charger at all.

I agree, it's insanity. Glad I live in NA.

Sold my original 3DS because the viewing angles were terribad and the 3D was almost unnoticeable in most cases. Hoping this fixes those issues.

This is one of the things that kept me away initially.
After multiple tries with different games at different kiosks, all the "3D" effect did was confuse my eyes and not add any perceived depth at all.

Morokh

Les pixels agrandis, du fait que la résolution de l’écran ne change pas, ne posent pas de problème car l’image est assez douce. Il doit y avoir un filtrage qui arrondit les pixels…

- They think there's some kind of "filter" at works here because the pixels appear "rounded."

The 'rounded' pixels part is just an image to try to describe what he thinks is the 'filter', it is not to take in a literal way.

The article in itself is quite poorly written, and you may want to temper a little what they say
, but even with that I think i'm sold on this 3DS XL :p

Dennis

Banned
Is there a 'Must have 3DS games' thread or am I gonna have to make on to go along with my soon to be purchased 3DS XL?

SYNTAX182

US get a choice between baby red, or baby blue =}

Fucking NOA :{ Will wait for Fire Emblem Awakening before buying the XL then, hopefully it gets special edition system, or at least a new color by then.

Must be the lighting but it looks better in these promo pics:

10621369-1340361200-199836.png

But they are promo pics, so...

bndadm

I'm glad I waited to get a 3DS. This looks great.

Agreed. I was waiting for one revision and until they announced Gameboy Advance games for everyone on VC so I could jettison my DS Lite. As it stands now, I think I am tired of waiting. This looks ideal.

I guess they're banking on the fact that everyone who buys this would have already bought an earlier DS.

Rich!

In the states it's coming August 19th. 18th for Australia and 17th for Europe.

No. I don't even know where you got that info. USA is 18th August for a start. UK/Europe are getting it the same day as Japan = 28th July.

edit - your australian date is wrong too. What the fuck, dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom