• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS XL First Impressions/Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazerei

Banned
6a01310ffb1fb0970c017742bde59f970d-500wi

Wow, that is huge! I'll probably cave and buy an XL eventually. I'll try to wait for a special edition I like.

I'll be getting this for sure! It'll be awesome playing games like Kingdom Hearts: DDD on it!

The talk about why this model not having a 2nd control pad is irritating. It's just a size change for people who want a more comfortable handheld.

If the XL gets 2nd control pad, then the original 3DS would be useless. Nintendo wants people to choose between the original and XL to buy. It'll hurt Nintendo if the XL is superior.

I like how this has received way more positive press than their whole E3 show.

That's why this should have been in their E3 show. I can understand not wanting to upstage the Wii U but considering they had so little to show for it the 3DSXL might have at least left people feeling a bit better overall about Nintendo's presentation.

megalowho

This got me really interested. At first I thought about buying a Vita but that thing seems DIW right now, so is this a good buy? I have never had any handheld or Nintendo consoles...

At this point 3DS is a better GAMING handheld than Vita, as in it has a better support, right? 3DS ain't dying off next year, or something?
I would respectfully disagree, but don't want to derail the thread. Spend much more time with my Vita than 3DS, but glad I have both.

Pros
  • Bigger screens (obviously)
  • "Matte" look
  • Better DS images
  • Stylus on the side
  • Presumably better buttons and sound

Cons
  • Plastic stylus and 3D slider - I liked the metal ones :(
  • Curved to hell and back top and bottom. Prefer DSi style MUCH more
  • Lack of black top screen. I actually really liked that from the original, looked nice

In my opinion. I'm all right with my original 3DS for now so I probably won't upgrade. Maybe when I have a job I will though, we'll see.

creid

- while the image looked worse on a DSiXL than on a DSi, it's not the case here. 3DSXL pixels look as defined as on 3DS.
Goddammit. This was my problem with the DSi XL, if they've fixed it then I have no idea how I will protect my wallet from this.

I think I'm one of the only three people that didn't have a beef with the original unit. I don't see the point in dropping $200 on this if I was comfortable with it. Maybe when it has it's eventual bomba years down the road I'll do it just for the sake of having a second 3DS.

Don't get me wrong, the XL looks nice and everything, but I just don't think it's quite the jump GBA --> GBASP or DS --> DSLite was.

Also, I'm extremely curious to see the monster of a Circle Pad Pro for this thing.

Hence the "XL", its more of a DSi->DSi XL jump, it's not really a redesign.

I'll get one when more attractive colors come to the US. Hopefully all black or all white to coordinate with Wii U.

Also hoping for a Circle Pad Pro XL announcement so I can retire the OG 3DS completely, otherwise I'll have to hold on to it for RER, MGS3, KH3D and (hopefully) MH3G.

Bumhead

Banned
This got me really interested. At first I thought about buying a Vita but that thing seems DIW right now, so is this a good buy? I have never had any handheld or Nintendo consoles...

At this point 3DS is a better GAMING handheld than Vita, as in it has a better support, right? 3DS ain't dying off next year, or something?

I've never been "into" handheld gaming before. I've ended up not playing and selling any handheld I've ever owned and the only time I bought a handheld and took it seriously was the Gameboy, for Pokemon and Pokemon alone. That includes a Vita, by the way, which I sold recently.

I fucking LOVE the 3DS. It's the most fun I've had with a new console in years and it's been my most played system this year by some margin.

All these little things they have done are really a great win:

- Screen border is not shiny anymore
- Buttons are matte
- Stylus is on the side of system
- Home/Power buttons are now safer
- Bumps to prevent screen scratch

And most importantly:

- Ergonomics have improved.

I mean disregarding the larger screen, they fixed most of basic design issues with the original 3DS.

Kai

God damnit - I want this at launch but don't want an obnoxious red/blue color on the front...

Why can't the Black/Silver versions be out in the US????

Neo C.

I admit I'm jelly now. The screens are greatly improved. It would make the pinball game (eShop) much more enjoyable.

Not surprised though, Nintendo always puts better screens in its newer model.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I like the look of it when it's closed. On the inside, the buttons look to be similar to the DS Lite's, which is a great thing. However, I can't shake off the impression that I'm looking at a cheap plastic children's toy when it's opened.

Also, how the hell are you supposed to carry that around for portable gaming, let alone streetpass or the pedometer.

Poyunch

I'l wait awhile until the White Version. The color choice + the material they used makes the thing look like really cheap plastic. I also don't like how the interior isn't concave like the DSi/DS Lite/3DS.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Getting this day one, along with Kid Icarus, Mario 3D Land and OOT Remix. I was waiting for something like this (though, with the 2nd analog stick) for the longest time...

Now if we can just get a Bravely Default English release date...

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
This is the first time that I refuse to buy something I want just becuase of the godawful colors it is launching with (in NA). Blue and red, seriously? Both White and Black look amazing, and I would even settle for silver. But blue and red? Not happening.

Do you think this will be received evenly in all territories?
I mean, do you think this is going to sell well in Japan as well as in the other countries?

It has just sprung to mind, for all I know Japanese market tends to dislike huge handhelds/home consoles, unlike in NA or Europe, maybe because houses have not much room and most people have not big hands.

Speaking of which, does anyone know how did DSiXL perform in Japan?
I am always hanging around MC threads, but apparently they track all DSi models as a whole.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
The impressions of the screen sound great. But I won't buy one until they put out a better selection of colours. The purple 3DS is pure sex and I won't upgrade unless we see an XL as nice as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom