• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS XL First Impressions/Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDX

When is Amazon going to have this thing for pre order? AMAZON I WANT TO GIVE YOU MY MONIES!
LLShC.gif

Try NewEgg, Free Shipping and no sales tax unless you live in CA TN or NJ

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=484863

Drago

Drago said:
Also, for anyone with skill changing colors in PS, could someone make a mockup for a White/Black unit, preferably with a real pic as a base? I'm interested in seeing what it would look like

Whoever does this, could it be done with these pics please:

Just the Red parts please. TIA

Right.

Just found two lines of small scratches on my top XL screen that line up with the lower screen's bevel. Little circular scratches in two lines. Weren't there last week.

FUCK YOU, NINTENDO. Seriously, if you're thinking of buying an XL, put some stickies on it to keep the screens separate or it could well scratch itself. Absolutely unforgivable for Nintendo to have not fixed this shit.

Wow, that really sucks. I did not expect it to be so easy to scratch the screen this time around. I guess I was wrong. I don't understand why they don't do proper testing for this stuff.

Yeah so just chiming in to say my scratching has gotten gradually worse since last week.
Definitely permanent marks on the screen.
I would've taken precautions by putting screen protectors on, but none were available at launch!
So how was I supposed to prevent this? Leave it open forever? They can have it back soon.

I checked once again after reading about the scratching and I still don't have any marks whatsoever on my XL, but I close it and leave it on my desk; I never carry it with me.

I'm not happy to hear this. How could they fuck the XL up, too? You would think repair data from the OG3DS would warn them of the screen issue. Apparently the 3DS (+XL) top/s must be to heavy?

They should have just made a lip, like the DSi/Lite/XL...

It's because of pressure. Pressing the top screen onto the bottom screen causes it. I didn't expect there to be enough pressure when you keep it in your pocket. Though, I would like to know what kind of pockets you guys have. If it's a really tight fit then I'm not too surprised.

So is it just the people putting it in their pockets and the people with scratches out of the box having problems? My launch 3DS had screen scratching problems due to me putting it in my pocket, but on my replacement system I got from Nintendo I've stopped putting it in my pocket. I haven't had any problems with scratching since. Would this be the same case for the XL? I don't want the screen to become scratched again.

Like I said before, there are zero marks on either of my screens. I've opened and closed it a lot too, so nothing should happen as long as there is no extra pressure on the top screen. Compared to my regular 3DS, it's an improvement. That one got marks as soon as I closed it.

Drago

I almost never wear tight leg wear so I'm not too worried about scratch-causing pressure. I may do the X360 padding trick again though, just to be really safe... dunno. I gotta see what my model looks like

my handheld consoles basically never leave my house so I hope I'm in the clear, but the fact it's still doing this for those who do use the 3DS for, you know.... portability, and are getting scratches, really sucks.

Nintendo never bothered to fix the issue with the 3DS, so there is no reason to believe they will for the XL

Yeah, it's one of the reasons I decided to just go for one with a black interior instead. I was thinking it didn't make a difference, but after trying it, it really does help having that black background.

Yep, there's a reason nearly every single device with a screen has a dark border.

Hopefully the scratching is from sticking it in your pockets, or squeezing the lid shut hard or something.

It's a portable, though. It belongs in your pocket. That's why it's a clamshell. I can't believe Nintendo did nothing to fix this.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Anyone know what stores in the U.S. are going to stock the screen protector day 1? If not, will just have to order on amazon and wait on playing.

Drago

Will the charging cradle be available in NA on day 1? If so, how much? I'm hoping for $10 as a charger doesn't need to be included...

I want to go in a store and get a Blue XL + NSMB2 + Cradle all at once

Phoenixus

Just quickly, are there any images or videos comparing the 3DS XL and the DSi XL side by side in regards to overall size? I'm after a good carry case for my new XL and am hoping one made for the bigger DSi model will fit okay.

ThankeeSai

Thanks for the heads up on the scratching but it sucks balls that it's still happening.

Off shopping today, so will be taking mine with me. Will be sure to put my glasses cloth between the screens before I go. Determined to get some street passes ^_^

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm interested in the 3DS XL, but I have a few concerns.

1. I still play my DS games on a phat DS. Yes, I know, it's ancient. However I never got a DS lite because I hate the buttons on it, too squishy. And the DSi was a tad too expensive for me when it came out. I also don't like the upscaling of DS games on the DSi XL. So, does the 3DS XL play DS games better than the DS phat? I have a 3DS, but DS games look like crap on it. 1:1 is too small and stretched it's too blury for me. I would only be using the 1:1 mode on the 3DS XL as well.

2. Is pixel separation that bad? Can you really notice it when games are in motion and you're a good distance away from the screen?

3. Finally, do 3DS games look noticeably worse? I really think some games would benefit from the extra size like OOT, but if the games look really blurry then I'm not so sure.

1. The phat screen was rubbish, so the XL should at least look better, but might be a little smaller?

2. No. On the menus etc it can be noticeable, but in games I've not noticed it

3. No, they look FANTASTIC. Replayed some mario land 3D last night and it's glorious.

Confused by the scratching stories. Didn't the 3DS start with smudges and then progressively get worse? This seems to come on faster. It is silly that Nintendo didn't ship with a foam sheet between the screens. They could have gone further and had long raised edges either side of the top screen,not just a couple of small squashy bumps

Those of you doing DIY solutions, I guess you could out slightly larger sticky pads replacing the current ones, or put a few down either side of the top screen?

Yep, there's a reason nearly every single device with a screen has a dark border.

It's a portable, though. It belongs in your pocket. That's why it's a clamshell. I can't believe Nintendo did nothing to fix this.

No, they DID do something to fix this (the rubber pads), they only didn't bother to test and see if that "solution" actually WORKS!

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Just tried Mario Kart 7 on my XL. Had a near-religious experience. Looks insanely good.
Seriously, it's as if Mario Kart had been optimized for the XL. I assume it's not the case, but the result still is outstanding.

About the scratching issue, I warned you guys. Mine could have been here from the start, I don't know...

Still I decided to copy this:
i1fJwfzge3lak.jpg

It doesn't look too bad and I don't have to worry anymore.

Rootbeer

Banned
Jealous of Non-CA GAFers who order off newegg.

Can anyone suggest a non-amazon online retailer that ships to CA with free shipping and no sales tax? Pipedream?

Fucking hate you sometimes, amazon T__T Carry Nintendo consoles ffs.

Randdalf

What's the consensus on the 3D with this system? Does it look better, worse, the same? Does the bigger screen give it more depth? Is there more leeway in how steady you have to hold it? I've only really used the 3D for OoT, in the dark, when I can sit absolutely still - it looks amazing - but most other games I tend to switch it off.

I'm going to be sticking with my normal 3DS for now I think, but the positive feedback for the XL is encouraging.

Stupid question probably: If you take those things off the bottom of the Xbox 360 and put them on the 3DS XL for screen protection, will that void the warranty your 360 has? Or can you easily put them back on again?

Link83

UK GAF: Hori screen protectors are out next Friday, up for pre-order on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008HPAXZ2/
Thanks, just pre-ordered these - I just hope my replacement 3DS XL from TheHut doesnt have marks on the screen from new :/
Its also nice to see Hori are only releasing the superior "Pitahari" or "Wow So Easy!" design outside of Japan (Should make them easier to apply)

Also up for pre-order is this Hori 3DS XL Hard Pouch:-
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008OGWH3A/
A bit pricey for a case though I think.

Curufinwe

Stupid question probably: If you take those things off the bottom of the Xbox 360 and put them on the 3DS XL for screen protection, will that void the warranty your 360 has? Or can you easily put them back on again?

Just buy a pack of pads from a dollar store or hardware store.

bumpkin

Hmm, do any of you with an XL have one of the red or blue carry pouches from the US Club Nintendo rewards catalog? I'm curious how it fits in that; right now it's what I use for my regular 3DS. Just wondering if I'll need to invest in a new/different case should I decide to upgrade to an XL.

Drago

Hmm, do any of you with an XL have one of the red or blue carry pouches from the US Club Nintendo rewards catalog? I'm curious how it fits in that; right now it's what I use for my regular 3DS. Just wondering if I'll need to invest in a new/different case should I decide to upgrade to an XL.

I have a blue one - perfect for my future blue XL. ;)

My 3DS has a lot of room left over in the pouch so I assume the XL will fit fine... I would think so, at least

muu

Have you guys with scratching issues been allowing the 3ds to slam shut or what? By default there's some decent clamping action that goes on when you close the thing, but if you avoid that I can't see the thing getting scratched outside of carrying it around and eventually crap getting in between it -- the two small plastic nubs slightly above the screen catch on the start/home/sel area, and there is a definite separation between the top and bottom screens. peek from the side when it's closed and you can tell there is a narrow but definite space where neither screen is touching.

kwheaties

What's the consensus on battery life? I searched the thread and didn't find many posts.

My launch 3DS with Nyko PowerPak seems to get the same battery life as reported by the numerous reviews (plus it actually has a cradle)...

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Well mine won't be here for the weekend now, it got some snag in Changai airport and will be Monday.

Fuck, 4 more days.

ThankeeSai

What's the consensus on battery life? I searched the thread and didn't find many posts.

My launch 3DS with Nyko PowerPak seems to get the same battery life as reported by the numerous reviews (plus it actually has a cradle)...

I'm getting around 6 hours or so, but obviously, battery life will depend on a few factors - game being played, screen brightness, 3D depth, is wi-fi on etc.

My brightness is set to 4, I have screen save on and my 3D depth is full on. I played around with Face Raiders for an hour or so, also messed around with the AR stuff
for bit, looked at a few other app things on there and played OoT for around 4 hours. At a guess, I'd say a minimum of 6 hours, 7.5 maximum.

Also, just need to say, I went out shopping today and got 5 Street Passes. Huzzah! ^_^

Santiako

Yes! Thank you.

That looks insanely good... if it's easy to take off the color shells then I'm replacing Blue with White. Now I just gotta wait for the shells… :p

They seem to be very easy to take off, so we'll probably see shells for sale soon (if not by Nintendo, by third parties).

NeoRausch

They seem to be very easy to take off, so we'll probably see shells for sale soon (if not by Nintendo, by third parties).

thing is, it's also written in the manual (yeah i know noooobody reads them...i did!)

the lower part is just screwed on with two screws (preetty close together) and all the rest is just standart mobile phone clip on-plastic shell.

"why?" you ask? because it makes it easier to change the battery(really! look it up in your manual!).

soooo.....new shells would be doable. :)

EDIT:

update on my non scratching non-issue: three full days of work (just carrying it around in a nice cloth...lack of a decent looking and sized bag).....i did almost 50.000 steps in three days like that. no scratch or anything.

AM.I.BLESSED?!?!

Will the charging cradle be available in NA on day 1? If so, how much? I'm hoping for $10 as a charger doesn't need to be included...

I want to go in a store and get a Blue XL + NSMB2 + Cradle all at once

This is what I want as well. Gaming journos need to get the scoop on the cradle. Top story!

Drago

thing is, it's also written in the manual (yeah i know noooobody reads them...i did!)

the lower part is just screwed on with two screws (preetty close together) and all the rest is just standart mobile phone clip on-plastic shell.

"why?" you ask? because it makes it easier to change the battery(really! look it up in your manual!).

This makes me very happy.

Just thinking of the possibilities... could someone make Orange/Black or Purple/Black or all black models? I'm going crazy :D

EDIT:

update on my non scratching non-issue: three full days of work (just carrying it around in a nice cloth...lack of a decent looking and sized bag).....i did almost 50.000 steps in three days like that. no scratch or anything.

AM.I.BLESSED?!?!

your not blessed, your just part of the majority

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom