• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS XL First Impressions/Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishNinja

don't think anything has been announced yet but I figure we'll hear something in the next week or so as it's almost launch time. I"m curious what kind of trade in offered people will give, esp. since I want to transfer my 3ds too.

you guys, don't forget the buy/sell thread here on GAF! some good opportunities there - i'm prolly gonna move my zelda unit on ebay, it's going north of $200 right now and that's hard to pass on. get my XL at a profit!

Mercutio

Not sure if someone mentioned this earlier, but the Nintendo Store in NYC has a 3DS XL demo unit to try out.

I noticed that the bottom "panel" on this one was a little loose... can any Euro-folks comment on how well secured that panel is? I know of the screws, but does it feel solidly on with no play what-so-ever?

I'm finding that the sweetspot appears to be much narrower. When you tilt the 3DS slighlty, you'll see a kind of black wave go across the screen as the LCD barrier starts blocking out the wrong pixels. That seems to be much more noticeable on the XL. Also, pixel separation is very present in 3D mode, but only half as much in 2D mode. I find that games in 3D really do look very pixelly, and the lack of AA that goes along with it does not help. 2D mode is great though, as the green is extremely vibrant. I also noticed while playing Theatrhythym that there seems to be quite a bit of friction on the touch screen when using the stylus. Still very pixelly though. Strangely, i'm finding that the lower screen looks better in all respects, when on the original 3DS, i found the low DPS to be very offputting and cheap looking. If you prefer playing in 3D, i'd suggest trying one out before making a purchase. For 2D, it's probably a no brainer, unless you really, really hate the low DPI.

I kinda agree but I am finding that the sweetspot is easily gotten positioning the handheld further than the old 3ds

Not sure if someone mentioned this earlier, but the Nintendo Store in NYC has a 3DS XL demo unit to try out.

I noticed that the bottom "panel" on this one was a little loose... can any Euro-folks comment on how well secured that panel is? I know of the screws, but does it feel solidly on with no play what-so-ever?

Several reviewers of the XL have noted that the top/bottom panels feel like they can fall off. Others haven't. Sounds like maybe it's a crapshoot.

Drago

Several reviewers of the XL have noted that the top/bottom panels feel like they can fall off. Others haven't. Sounds like maybe it's a crapshoot.
I hope my unit has looser panels. I want to customize it with a bunch of faceplates!

My own White/Black or Purple/Black unit sounds very appealing to me. :)

I just hope that there are shells by the end of the year...

Gunsmithx

you guys, don't forget the buy/sell thread here on GAF! some good opportunities there - i'm prolly gonna move my zelda unit on ebay, it's going north of $200 right now and that's hard to pass on. get my XL at a profit!

Nice didn't think they'd be going for that much. I wish I could do that but the normal 3ds doesn't sell for nearly as much and I'm not gonna throw in ambassador status to get extra, not worth it. Might sell to bish though. Now a Zelda XL... :)

But how does max brightness compare to the original 3DS's max brightness? Moot point if secret "ultra bright" displaced standard max brightness.

What I've heard is that 3DS XL is at least as bright as the 3DS in 'max brightness' (note: no mention of secret lv.6), if not a little less bright.

I can't see very well. No ultra-bright mode is a disappointment; why remove a feature in a hardware system upgrade?

EDIT: May I ask a favor? If someone could take a brightness comparison pic of the 3DS XL at lv.5 next to a 3DS at secret lv.6 (AC plugged in), I would be most grateful.

Just got back from playing with one at the Nintendo World Store in NYC, the dude working there literally had it cabled to his body so I wouldn't drop/run away with it.

SM3DL was fun, the screens are greeeeat, though. Generally zippier but I don't have much experience with the 3DS so it's hard to tell.

Cannot wait for the 19th. BLUE BLUE BLUE.

Gunsmithx

Yup. If you don't really use a handheld outside of your home, then the XL is way better.

or if you carry a bag most of the time. It's only really a problem if you need to carry something in your pocket and for that I still carry my psp go, for everything else I just put in my bag.

Mercutio

Just got back from playing with on at the Nintendo World Store in NYC, the dude working there literally had it cabled to his body so I wouldn't drop/run away with it.

SM3DL was fun, the screens are greeeeat, though. Generally zippier but I don't have much experience with the 3DS so it's hard to tell.

Cannot wait for the 19th. BLUE BLUE BLUE.

I already beat you here to share word of our trip.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Has the removability of the top shell been confirmed yet? Seems like it would be more delicate with the camera/mic holes.

Drago

Has the removability of the top shell been confirmed yet? Seems like it would be more delicate with the camera/mic holes.

I've heard it can come off, but not as easily as the bottom one.

People say that opening the SD card slot will make taking off the bottom much easier and I saw it happen in a review

As the NA release date approaches, I am getting worried that I will let my impatience get the best of me and buy one of those shitty-looking blue or red XLs.

Must... control... urges.

IrishNinja

or if you carry a bag most of the time. It's only really a problem if you need to carry something in your pocket and for that I still carry my psp go, for everything else I just put in my bag.

some on here have said the XL is still fitting in their pocket - maybe big jeans? i'm hoping to pull that off for some of my clothes, personally. if not, messenger bag it is.

Reclaimer

As the NA release date approaches, I am getting worried that I will let my impatience get the best of me and buy one of those shitty-looking blue or red XLs.

I've already broke and am planning on getting one...

To take apart and paint! Matte black XL here I come.

Drago

If it's a bother you can do like me and get a blue, buy White shells on ebay whenever 3rd parties start making them, take off the blue shells, and make this beauty:

ibamQNAYWkF9yO.png

I've already broke and am planning on getting one...

To take apart and paint! Matte black XL here I come.

Do take pics of the finished product! I'm interested to see how it would look. :)

urfe

This post makes no sense.

If the 3DS leaves marks that can become scratches (i.e. semi-avoidable), and the XL leaves scratches right away (as people are claiming) (i.e. not avoidable), then the XL is a downgrade from the 3DS.

It seems suspicious that not only would the XL not fix the problem, but would be worse, so I'm calling into question people's claims that it does indeed leave scratches after such a short period of time.

Brightness 5 is already too bright for me, so I don't see why anyone would want even brighter than that.
Playing outside (doesn't work with an AC adapter in most cases though).

If its easier to hit/find the sweet spot (music to my ears and 20/20 eyesight), is it also easier to lose the sweet spot/narrower margin room?

^_^

Tia though :)
Not imo but I rarely lose the sweetspot anyway so I may be the exception here.

Zornica

Banned
Anyone else who noticed that the lower screen is somehow roughened?
Haven't read anywhere anything about it, but that was the first thing I noticed when I touched the unit for the first time.

Robin64

Anyone else who noticed that the lower screen is somehow roughened?
Haven't read anywhere anything about it, but that was the first thing I noticed when I touched the unit for the first time.

They seem to be to begin with, yeah, but new normal 3DSes are the same. A bit of play will sort that out. Personally, I did a load of fast swiping thanks to New Art Academy and that got rid of that feeling within minutes.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I had the RE: Revelations demo for months and I only completed it this morning.

It looks glorious on the XL, simply gorgeous for this hardware.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
XL get! I caved in :( Luckily the store was selling it for only 180 instead of 200 :) I'll most likely sell my 3DS OG for 100-120. Not bad I guess

jCz8p.png

Also, box is surprisingly small for an XL

Chopper

yeah it is. where did you get it? On amazon there is only the one for 3DS.
I'm in the UK, and it is available here from Amazon. A few pages back, I think someone confirmed it is available from Amazon.ca though. It is a DSi XL case, so make sure you are searching for them on the store.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Yea..fuck the haters, blue is sexy..I finalized my decision, im getting blue!
This thread is tempting me to go for blue over red.
While red is IMO the least tacky with the black, the color overall just doesn't do it for me. Be advised the blue in real life is more aqua blueish than the solid blue you see in artwork (mostly because of the metallic), but still the best version by far (well without the white available here that is)

Peru

That's the thing.. now that I've got my XL I can finally appreciate how gorgeous a game like Super Mario Land 3D is. There are some big constructions in this game, lots of geometry, and it looks so tasty on a non-miniature screen.

Pharros

Are there any good pictures of the aqua blue 3ds alongside or with the blue 3dsXL? I feel like I'd get a better interpretation of the colors with a good comparison.

Burai

shitonmychest57
XL get! I caved in :( Luckily the store was selling it for only 180 instead of 200 :) I'll most likely sell my 3DS OG for 100-120. Not bad I guess

jCz8p.png

Also, box is surprisingly small for an XL

It's amazing how much space you can save by not including an AC adapter.

Bumhead

Banned
Blue looks great.

Just bought a blue myself actually (as part of my plan to replace my borked red unit) so glad for those pics. Looks gorgeous

Chopper

How snug is the fit with the new XL?
Also how does the case remain closed?

I'm on the verge of ordering one with a big stylus and screen protectors :)

It's pretty snug. Not nearly as snug as the DSi XL, for which it took a couple of weeks of heavy use and stretching before the console would just "slip in and out". Honestly though, you can't tell the case wasn't made for the 3DS XL.

The case remains closed using an elastic strap that fits round the bottom of the case. Since reading reports of screen scratching, I initially feared that it might be applying too much pressure to the system. It's not. There is very little pressure on the middle of the console at all. The strap simply isn't strong enough for that, but secures the case nicely.

Nice, which one is that?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0035LBLWC/

oh so now Blue is all the rage here?

I see how it is then... fuck you guys, i got the red myself when it was everybody's darling and now you guys make me want the blue!

Well i won't regret it, Red still looks awesome imo and.. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom