• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS XL First Impressions/Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that I have much of a choice being in the US, but I'm definitely going with blue. Originally I was pretty jealous of you Europeans and your silver XLs and you Japanese people and your white ones, but now I'm not so sure I wouldn't pick blue even if all four colors were available in the US.

The red just isn't for me.

Anyone else who noticed that the lower screen is somehow roughened?
Haven't read anywhere anything about it, but that was the first thing I noticed when I touched the unit for the first time.

Every DS I've ever owned has felt this way for the first few hours. Then whatever coating is put on the screen slowly wears away and it's smooth.

I need some sexy silver pics to re-affirm my pre-order decision, every time I look at blue I think damn that is nice looking.

Reminds me a little of my brothers old blue SP, which funnily enough I got the silver one of at the time lol.

abasm

This just in, red is the new blue!

The GameStop employee who filled out my preorder signed me up for the wrong color--do you think I'll be able to switch when I pick up the system?

Coldsnap

As much as we bitched in the beginning about the Blue and Red colors.. I gotta admit they both are looking great. I will get red, I feel like I would get blue, but I sorta want to mix it up a bit... if that makes any sense.

As much as we bitched in the beginning about the Blue and Red colors.. I gotta admit they both are looking great. I will get red, I feel like I would get blue, but I sorta want to mix it up a bit... if that makes any sense.

I'll be the first to admit that blue turned out a lot better then I could've imagined but there is sill ZERO excuse for not offering god-tier white and even silver.

It's pretty snug. Not nearly as snug as the DSi XL, for which it took a couple of weeks of heavy use and stretching before the console would just "slip in and out". Honestly though, you can't tell the case wasn't made for the 3DS XL.

The case remains closed using an elastic strap that fits round the bottom of the case. Since reading reports of screen scratching, I initially feared that it might be applying too much pressure to the system. It's not. There is very little pressure on the middle of the console at all. The strap simply isn't strong enough for that, but secures the case nicely.

Ahh thanks, sounds good!
One more question though :)

Based on the stylus position I'm assuming there's a gap at the top of the case when closed?
Is it big? If the case was in a bag with loose items, could anything get into this gap?

Lanbeast

Wanted to pass this on from the other thread:

NewEgg: Save $10 on All Pre-Orders $39.99 and Up #1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Full List

Knocks NSMB 2 down to $29.99, among some others.

NeoRausch

EDIT: May I ask a favor? If someone could take a brightness comparison pic of the 3DS XL at lv.5 next to a 3DS at secret lv.6 (AC plugged in), I would be most grateful.

oh! a photo request! that's like sending of the "weird"-signalto the moon!

BRB, geting ma cam ready!

EDIT:

0GhbZ.jpg

3DS XL lvl5 PS:eek:ff 3DS lvl5 PS:eek:ff

uHBmf.jpg

3DS XL lvl5 PS:eek:ff 3DS lvl6 PS:eek:ff

not the nicest shots, but i just wanted the screens.

COMBO-EDIT:
you can here also see that not all screens look like they took a bath in nicotine. yeah yellowish tint (wich you DON'T register at all while playing) but nowhere some of the oics that where earlier on. i like the warmer tone.

I'm avoiding the whole red vs blue thing by ordering one of each and making my better half pick seeing as one of them is late birthday gift. I'm happy with either one.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Has anyone else noticed the worse pixel response on XL's screens, compared to the original 3DS?

It doesn't manifest as ghosting trails behind moving objects at least, but it does blur them over (such as the moving circles in Theatrhythm.) Dark, moody areas like the opening sections of Resident Evil or MGS3D also appear slightly smudged when shifting the camera around.

It was perfectly clear on the original 3DS. Seems these larger screens come at a cost to image quality.

Chopper

Ahh thanks, sounds good!
One more question though :)

Based on the stylus position I'm assuming there's a gap at the top of the case when closed?
Is it big? If the case was in a bag with loose items, could anything get into this gap?

Yeah. Without a stylus in there, there's a bit of a gap. With the stylus in there, you'd be unlucky to get stuff stuck in there just from being in a bag. You could definitely jam something in there with your finger though. I wouldn't do that. But, no the gap isn't very big and isn't a problem in any way.

Jarsonot

Yeah. Without a stylus in there, there's a bit of a gap. With the stylus in there, you'd be unlucky to get stuff stuck in there just from being in a bag. You could definitely jam something in there with your finger though. I wouldn't do that. But, no the gap isn't very big and isn't a problem in any way.

Those cases seem nice and all if you're worried about the outside of your system getting scratched. They don't seem to give much protection from it getting squeezed - screen damage.

I know a lot of you care about what the outside looks like, but for me personally I don't care. I would need some measure that protects the screens and it looks like I need to go the rubber bumper route instead of a case. (or both, to be super safe)

Do you feel your screens are safe in a case like that?

NeoRausch

Probably the post right above his.

nah... i think he has bigger reasons. maybe someone told him. pachter...triads...the dragon clan...illuminati...A.L.I.E.N.S.... Moulder....Reggie?

ah well, yes, it looks like that starting bacht had some problems. wait a few moth if you can and check back then. problems will solve themself, just like the scratching in the og 3DS.

... oh wait!

Has anyone else noticed the worse pixel response on XL's screens, compared to the original 3DS?

It doesn't manifest as ghosting trails behind moving objects at least, but it does blur them over (such as the moving circles in Theatrhythm.) Dark, moody areas like the opening sections of Resident Evil or MGS3D also appear slightly smudged when shifting the camera around.

It was perfectly clear on the original 3DS. Seems these larger screens come at a cost to image quality.
Haven't noticed.

ThankeeSai

I've got blue, too. Looks gorgeous. The guy at Blockbuster was getting a bit pissed off with me when I went to pick it up though. When I had called up to see if they had any stock, he told me they only had two silver ones available. I asked him to reserve one for me and went up later that evening to collect it.

When I got there, there had been a new delivery of blue and red. I just couldn't make my mind up and I could see he was getting more and more impatient as he was bringing the other XL's from the back of the shop. Finally plumped for blue after a bit more deliberation. The way I see it - fuck it, if I'm investing £180 into a piece of hardware, I'm going to make damn sure I get the colour right :p

And as for you, woman behind me, huffing and puffing with your 8 year old brat whining beside you, as I deliberate the colour of my next hardware purchase....Fuck you, too.

My blue case arrived. Looks fucking great.

It does indeed; thanks for posting Chopper :).

I had a look at this case after your pimping of it over the last few days :p and thought the blue would clash with the blue XL but it actually goes with it very well. I am tempted to get one myself now. However, may I ask from your previous use of this particular case design how effective it is in keeping out dust and other detritus? Given the gap between the XL screens due to the new nobs [snigger] on the inner case, I am wary about the ingress of dust, leading to screen scratching.

Oh and Amazon Italy blue 3DS GET! :D

Really appreciate the answers and pic Chopper, case ordered.
Shame you're not getting commission :)

Phoenixus

That's the one I was interested in, but really want to be able to modify it into a belt attachment for easier transport like with the 3DS Executive Case I had. Just a bugger that whichever way I were to do that either the Game Cards or the unit itself would be upside down. :(

oh! a photo request! that's like sending of the "weird"-signalto the moon!

BRB, geting ma cam ready!

EDIT:

not the nicest shots, but i just wanted the screens.

COMBO-EDIT:
you can here also see that not all screens look like they took a bath in nicotine. yeah yellowish tint (wich you DON'T register at all while playing) but nowhere some of the oics that where earlier on. i like the warmer tone.

Hey thanks! These pics ease my mind a lot.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
OK... played around for an hour, and I might sound spoiled (Vita did this to me) but I want an even bigger screen. Am I wrong for wanting that? :p

Are there any good pictures of the aqua blue 3ds alongside or with the blue 3dsXL? I feel like I'd get a better interpretation of the colors with a good comparison.
No Aqua 3DS anymore but it's much less glittery, almost none but the colors are basically the same I'd say, maybe just a slight tint variation

Wolfe

So is it just the people putting it in their pockets and the people with scratches out of the box having problems?

Naw dude if you saw my post earlier in the thread I carry my 3DS around in my back pocket quite often, I wear skinny jeans too so it's not as though I have big pockets or anything, and I haven't had a single issue with scratches appearing on the screens. Never use screen protectors either.

I honestly have no idea why someone like me in particular hasn't seen or experienced this issue over others.

antonz

Just got my Black Case in from Amazon. Managed to snag it the other day before they went out of stock. Do like it alot.

Coolwhip

Banned
I tried an XL with Mario 3D land. Easily the most fun I had with a game in many years. Really fun game and the XL is a fine piece of equipement. Nicely done by Nintendo,.

Just got my Black Case in from Amazon. Managed to snag it the other day before they went out of stock. Do like it alot.

Ah, so you're part of the reason I got stuck with brown? I hope that you can sleep at night with the knowledge of how bad that brown is going to clash with my blue XL :mad:

antonz

Ah, so you're part of the reason I got stuck with brown? I hope that you can sleep at night with the knowledge of how bad that brown is going to clash with my blue XL :mad:

lol I wasnt sure I was gonna get it. It said 1 left order soon for like 2 hours after I ordered it.

chunk3rvd

Finally got my hands on one of these sexy beasts yesterday and now have an irrational urge to upgrade my original 3DS. What's the best way to go about this (UK) at minimum cost?

I wouldn't usually go near Game but their £80 upgrade deal is looking pretty good right now. Searching eBay for completed listings on a used black 3DS seems to show an average sale price of around £80. This would leave me paying around another £90 to upgrade to the XL which is why the Game deal is looking pretty sweet. Anyone else upgraded in the UK and got a better deal than this?

matmanx1

I keep going back and forth but I think for the time being I have decided to wait and not get an XL this month. My launch 3DS is still working well enough and I'm not thrilled with the USA color choices. I'd rather wait until NOA gives me a color I'm completely happy with (if they ever do) than settling for something that I'm only lukewarm about.

Drago

that blue looks amazing. i already have the blue dsi xl, so i think im going to get this one in red. if only they had green.....
You can probably make your own green eventually
The color shells of the unit are apparently easy to take off... from there, you can paint the red a green color or buy a replacement green shell (when/if they're made)

I plan to do it with my blue to create a White/Black unit.

womp

This is insane. I know I am repeating myself but I cannot get over that that *is* the same damn case I picked up for a measly $4.99 at Five Below for my DSi Xl a few months ago. They literally had 30 of them collecting dust in the 'electronics aisle'. It's a nice case but I had to stretch it out a bit to get the DSi XL into it initially.

I gotta go back and get another, I hope they still have them. So crazy...Thanks again for confirming it holds the 3DS XL man!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom