• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS XL First Impressions/Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are people doing for cases? Any good ones out there yet?

LNyaK.jpg

Moonkeis

Any retailers besides Wal-Mart/Gamestop doing preorders right now?

I was about to pull the trigger on a 3DS but I figured since the release is so close for the XL, I'd just wait.

Where can you get that thing? I'd love it for my 3DSxl, somehow it seems like it'll get scratches easy so I need some protection

Beware of those pouches though, sure they look nice but it won't prevent your 3DS XL from getting scratches as the issue here is the pressure that is applied to the screens from outside, and the weight that will press the screens towards each other.

A hard case might be better suited to your needs in this case...

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Beware of those pouches though, sure they look nice but it won't prevent your 3DS XL from getting scratches as the issue here is the pressure that is applied to the screens from outside, and the weight that will press the screens towards each other.

A hard case might be better suited to your needs in this case...
Wait you mean the screen scratch issue? I thought they fixed it with the XL

For pressure from outside I'm not too worried as I'll probably never take it outside or move it around too much

bumpkin

Hmm... So here's a random question; does the Nintendo World Store (in New York) have XLs set up or on display in any way? I'm going there this weekend, would love to see this beast for myself.

Reclaimer

The DSiXL is undoubtely the best way to experience DS games, but the 3DS XL is very good as well, in 1:1 mode they look a bit bigger than a regular DSi, which is excellent.

Cool, thanks.

I just found a great deal on a new Mario25th anniversary red DSiXL, so im going to pick that up to play my backlog DS games.

Hmm... So here's a random question; does the Nintendo World Store (in New York) have XLs set up or on display in any way? I'm going there this weekend, would love to see this beast for myself.
I just left the store and they have a guy walking around with the unit tethered to his belt. I guess they don't want to leave it out to get scratched by little kids.

Jarsonot

I'm hoping there are demo units in U.S. stores tomorrow, 2 weeks 'til launch. Are there even commercials for this thing?

Hopefully they roll out the Wii Us a little sooner, eh? =)

Mutant Mudds looks insanely good on this thing. So clean looking, so smooth. Sprites are just ENORMOUS

I'm falling more in love by the minute with the XL
Funnily enough I was just playing this in the park. Was totally blown away. Reduced glare also means I can game outside when the sun is shining (not in direct sunlight though of course).

I've found that warmer color temperatures work better in games while cooler color temperature work better in menus.
I don't really notice the warmer temperature in menus anymore after a few days of usage tbh. It was pretty apparent the first time (home menu, power save is turned on by default).

Any retailers besides Wal-Mart/Gamestop doing preorders right now?

I was about to pull the trigger on a 3DS but I figured since the release is so close for the XL, I'd just wait.

Best buy is and was told today they think they will be having a trade in bonus. Also it's only $5 at bb instead of the $50 at GS

hongcha

How bad are the XL's speakers? Will I need ear-buds for anywhere that isn't silent?

My speakers sound great- loud and clear even at mid range volume. Max is a bit too loud for me so I rarely use it. Others seem to have quieter speakers, so maybe there is some lack of quality control in play here.

I'm getting kinda nervous/antsy with trade in promos with original 3DS systems, Smh at me for not doing that $115 at gamestop

I think it'll be like $100 tops , hmmmmmm if that were the case I'd transfer my stuff right in the store when trading in :p

Lexxon

Not if altered gravity and space makes you sick.

I'm sensitive to such things but was still able to get through both Galaxy games. I'm of the type that only gets sick from very specific games, though--HL2 for long periods, for instance. SMG seemed to make my head want to tilt over all the time too, so me and my bad neck had pains not usually related to gaming!

Saying that, I think I may have underappreciated SM3DL. I enjoyed some of my time with it, but most of my playtime has been on trains, in short bursts, etc...I'm still only on special world 3. In fact, my 3DS as a whole really has a lack of playtime...Kid Icarus is still sitting about halfway done, too. Maybe the XL will get me to finally finish up these games!

Bear in mind that you need wifi and it can take up to half an hour.

I wonder how much data it uses over Wifi. If I have a decent cell signal (especially if 4G), I could probably tether to my phone and get the job done in store if the folks there are willing to deal with that. The guy I usually deal with at Best Buy is usually pretty flexible, so I hope they have a good trade-in deal. I only go to GS when I absolutely have to.

Baconbitz

Banned
My 3DS ends up in my pocket most of the time. I'm not looking for something too big but I want a case like most people have for there smart phones these days for my XL . Any ideas?

bede-x

The XL did it for me. Up till now I've ranked the 3DS below the Vita as my go-to handheld, partly because I didn't particularly care for the 3D effect, the screen size and because Nintendo's apathy towards selling games online is frustrating. The XL doesn't fix the last part - hopefully Nintendo will invent an account system soon - and it still doesn't make me the biggest fan of stereoscopic 3D. What it does do is not strain my eyes so damn much when looking at a game for hours on end. I'm closer to forty than thirty and even though I can easily see what goes on the original 3DS, I always felt fatigued at the end of a session and DS games at 1:1 ratio was bordering on unplayable. Not that I'm gonna be using my 3DS for DS games - unless Nintendo starts adding them to the E-shop - but I can see why it would be a viable option for some people at this point.

The sweet spot for 3D effects is still too small for me and I get lots of double images during a normal session.  I don't get how gyroscope control is ever an option in 3D games.. The larger screens makes it bearable, however, and oftentimes I'm even enjoying it. Just staring at the map screen in Mario 3D Land or experiencing some of the thrilling sections like that final level is at times magical as well as mindblowing. Yeah, the XL made me complete and fall in love with the game again. I don't think I've seen better designed stereoscopic gameplay anywhere, but then there's a reason Nintendo's the world's best designer.

There are a couple of things that could be better about the XL: Battery time could be longer, though it no longer annoys me like before. The three buttons at the bottom of the device have a very slight travel distance, making you doubt, you've pressed them and why isn't a larger stylus included?

The screens are much better than you think. I got a little concerned with talk of dead pixels and yellow shades, but neither have been a problem on my device. 

So the XL brought me back to the fold, not that I ever really left, since I treasure Nintendo's games too much to do that. Now whenever I can only have one system with me in addition to my phone, I think I'll be picking the 3DS just as often as the Vita and considering I at one point wished Nintendo had gone in a more traditional handheld direction with the 3DS, that's no small feat.

Since the XL's been out for a little while, what's the verdict on the screen scratching issue? Chance to be damaged out of the box or still a design flaw? Advisable to use more rubber feet? Xbox 360 feet still work fine?

ThankeeSai

Since the XL's been out for a little while, what's the verdict on the screen scratching issue? Chance to be damaged out of the box or still a design flaw? Advisable to use more rubber feet? Xbox 360 feet still work fine?

Seems to be one of those things that some people have an issue with and some don't.

I'm taking no chances though, but instead of using rubber feet I just fold a microfibre cloth and put that inbetween screens when I've got the XL in my pocket. Seems to do the trick.

I got the giant Tic-Tac model. Feels really nice to hold but it did take a day or two to get used to the warmth of the top screen. The warmth does lend itself very nicely to Etrian Odyssey 4, though the game's reliance on the d-pad has made the tip of my thumb really sore... Hope I get used to it or it gets a bit less stiff!

Foshy

Slightly off topic, but I've got a question about how system transfer works and I figured that I'd ask here instead of creating a new topic:

I've got 2 3DS's at home (mine and my sisters) but I want to sell one as we both rarely play them and there's really no reason to have two.

So, of the two, I wanted to sell mine (Aqua Blue, while she's got a black one), but I've got Colors 3D and Mighty Switch Force on that, while she's got no paid eShop Downloads. Now if I were to make a system transfer, would this stuff get added to what's on the other 3DS already or would her system be wiped? If it's the latter, what kind of content would get removed exactly?

EDIT: Doesn't matter, looked it up myself.

Awesome, but do German 3DS games generally come in English as well?

EDIT: I'm planning to import to Australia, the console should have multiple languages too right?

99% of the Nintendo 1st Party titles are Multi 5 (EN, FRA, ITA, GER, SPA).
The german 3DS is the normal european model with all the languages.

Argh! I've somehow managed to scratch the upper screen pretty badly... I think a small pebble/rock found its way between the screens when closed shut. It really sucks...

This was NOT due to any design issue, I love the unit itself.

Since the screen has a plastic front cover, I'm thinking this should be replaceable without having to disassemble the whole unit. This was possible on the GBA and the DS phat. problem is... the 3DS XL is so new that places like dealextreme and ebay don't have any replacement parts yet (I haven't had any luck at least.) I want a perfect screen for NSMB2 :(

Anyone have any tips/ideas?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Argh! I've somehow managed to scratch the upper screen pretty badly... I think a small pebble/rock found its way between the screens when closed shut. It really sucks...

This was NOT due to any design issue, I love the unit itself.

Since the screen has a plastic front cover, I'm thinking this should be replaceable without having to disassemble the whole unit. This was possible on the GBA and the DS phat. problem is... the 3DS XL is so new that places like dealextreme and ebay don't have any replacement parts yet (I haven't had any luck at least.) I want a perfect screen for NSMB2 :(

Anyone have any tips/ideas?

You could try putting a screen protector on. Sometimes the glue will fill in the scratch and give you a clear screen.

You could try putting a screen protector on. Sometimes the glue will fill in the scratch and give you a clear screen.

Good idea, thanks. I don't really mind some scratches from an aesthetic standpoint, it's just that they are so very visible when the 3D is on..

ffdgh

....well the pics in this thread made me cave. Keeping my original and plan on getting a blue xl in august or early September.

Drago

Could someone make a mock up of what an all black XL would look like from a front view? A back view would be nice too but I don't need it

Thanks

chunk3rvd

Just took the jump and grabbed one from Gamestation for £180 with the AC adapter. They have told me I can take it home, complete the system transfer and take my OG 3DS back for £100 cash as long as I do it before Thursday when the trade-in offer expires

So - just after some tips on the transfer process. Does it send everything from the SD card over as well? GBA/NES titles? Pictures? Music? Are there any good guides online about how to do the transfer process? Anyone have any general pointers?

Also, will my play coins carry over? I have 268 at the moment and would hate to lose those :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom