• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS XL First Impressions/Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rootbeer

Banned
Pre-paid for XL blue + NSMB2 at gamestop yesterday. Honestly, it's rather rare for them to be getting my cash. Happens about once a year. Amazon, you made me do it!

ih13G9Honz7x3.gif

That's ok, but full color is the best way to go.

3ds-xl-colors.gif

Gradivus

Only a couple of weeks to go until it's release. Most of my friends who owned a DS but still a bit iffy on buying a 3DS are planning to buy this on launch date along with Kingdom Hearts.

Finally I'll be able to get daily streetpasses with ease instead of having to go to the city.

That's ok, but full color is the best way to go.

3ds-xl-colors.gif

those colors look great, but to me the only inside colors that wouldn't distracting would be black or white, and white>>black 3DS XL. I'm not sure when the black XL will be released, probably summer of next year at the latest along with white in the US

branny

those colors look great, but to me the only inside colors that wouldn't distracting would be black or white, and white>>black 3DS XL. I'm not sure when the black XL will be released, probably summer of next year at the latest along with white in the US
I think I'm fine with colors like that since the screens are still LCD. OLED/AMOLED/whatever screens, on the other hand, are a different story. They melt into their bezels, so I'm definitely going to prefer black innards when Nintendo wheels those out in 20 years.

I can understand something neon being distracting, though, haha.

Has anyone heard if the charge cradle is going to be available for the NA launch? It's pretty silly but I really enjoy the convenience of cradle, my system is almost always charged for streetpassing.

AJSousuke

nah... i think he has bigger reasons. maybe someone told him. pachter...triads...the dragon clan...illuminati...A.L.I.E.N.S.... Moulder....Reggie?

ah well, yes, it looks like that starting bacht had some problems. wait a few moth if you can and check back then. problems will solve themself, just like the scratching in the og 3DS.

... oh wait!

the problem is that I have to import it, because the price in my country will be $300-400 which is way too much. I can import it from USA and get it at $200-220.

And now I'm paranoic because gaf told me it could had scratches screens, dust inside the screen, ultra yellow screen, slower screen, etc.

I'm unsure, and i feel i'm gambling if i import it, because returning it could be too tedious.

Robso

Sorry if this has already been asked. And apologies also for the dumb question...

Is it not possible to do a system transfer by copying your saves onto your SD card (if possible) and then placing the card into another 3DS?

I'm considering returning my 3DS for a replacement as the top screen has some scratches, however my screen protector actually covers the scratches. The issue is actually that it took a neighbour quite a lot of patience to make sure it went on properly and I just fear that if I need to replace the protectors, and my neighbour is unable to do the top screen this time around, that the scratches will then be left visible. :(

Edit: Also, how many times can you download games you purchase?

Sorry if this has already been asked. And apologies also for the dumb question...

Is it not possible to do a system transfer by copying your saves onto your SD card (if possible) and then placing the card into another 3DS?

I'm considering returning my 3DS for a replacement as the top screen has some scratches, however my screen protector actually covers the scratches. The issue is actually that it took a neighbour quite a lot of patience to make sure it went on properly and I just fear that if I need to replace the protectors, and my neighbour is unable to do the top screen this time around, that the scratches will then be left visible. :(

Edit: Also, how many times can you download games you purchase?
Not possible.

Can download as often as you like me thinks, no indication it is somewhat limited.

if that's for the DSi then yes, it'll charge the 3DS/XL.

Edit: beateneded.
Looks more like USB > Mini USB in which case it would not work.

Drago

So how is Mario 3D land generally regarded? I think it's one of the best Mario games ever.
I love it. So much fun to play :)
Don't know about best ever, but it's higher on the list.

Only thing I have left to do in the game is playing all levels over as Luigi, which I saved for the XL.

I have to say that, when directly comparing the XL to the original 3DS, I'm a bit disappointed by the screens. I know it's a given considering the low ppi, but the smaller screens really are a lot sharper and a bit more vibrant.
My XL also has a yellowish tint, thankfully it's not noticeable when playing games, just when comparing the two directly. It's a bit disappointing, but there's only so much you can expect for the price I guess.

King_Moc

Banned
So how is Mario 3D land generally regarded? I think it's one of the best Mario games ever.

It's great, just a bit too easy. It needed a Super Mario World style special world or something. Even the last level that's supposed to be really hard, i did in two goes. Also, the controls felt a little sluggish compared to the 2d games.

Pikma

Banned
GAF, question here: Are the red XLs more prone to have that extreme yellow-ish screen issue? or does that have nothing to do with it? I know, I know, XL screens are warmer in general, but I'm talking about those extremely yellow tinted screens we've seen.

Lanbeast

GAF, question here: Are the red XLs more prone to have that extreme yellow-ish screen issue? or does that have nothing to do with it? I know, I know, XL screens are warmer in general, but I'm talking about those extremely yellow tinted screens we've seen.

Pretty sure there is no difference between the colors. The extreme yellows were due to power saving mode.

I am not impressed with what I'm hearing about the screens. It's one thing to have the lower PPI, that's unavoidable with the larger screen. But the yellow tint is unacceptable. The newer system should be an upgrade not a downgrade.

Lanbeast

I am not impressed with what I'm hearing about the screens. It's one thing to have the lower PPI, that's unavoidable with the larger screen. But the yellow tint is unacceptable. The newer system should be an upgrade not a downgrade.

Being in the states, I can't confirm or deny anything that has been said in this thread...but I think there have been a pretty equal number of people commenting from both sides on the screen color, and I've seen more say that they don't even notice it during gameplay.

I think that could be more of a position and camera/picture quality issue.

Please read the thread, the screen is only yellow when power save is on and on a white background. In games the warmer LCD makes the colours look way better.

I have to say that, when directly comparing the XL to the original 3DS, I'm a bit disappointed by the screens. I know it's a given considering the low ppi, but the smaller screens really are a lot sharper and a bit more vibrant.
My XL also has a yellowish tint, thankfully it's not noticeable when playing games, just when comparing the two directly. It's a bit disappointing, but there's only so much you can expect for the price I guess.
My XL looks a lot more vibrant than my OG3DS. That one had a cool LCD though.

abasm

Please read the thread, the screen is only yellow when power save is on and on a white background. In games the warmer LCD makes the colours look way better.

My XL looks a lot more vibrant than my OG3DS. That one had a cool LCD though.

I've found that warmer color temperatures work better in games while cooler color temperature work better in menus.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Mutant Mudds looks insanely good on this thing. So clean looking, so smooth. Sprites are just ENORMOUS

I'm falling more in love by the minute with the XL

Jarsonot

I posted in another thread about this, but as people may experience problems with their XLs I'll report it here as well.

Sent in my 3DS for the upper screen scratch issue. 3DS is pristine otherwise. Sent it in on Monday (UPS), got an email on Friday saying basically that they didn't consider it a manufacturer's defect and it wasn't covered by warranty, though I would get a reduced repair cost (due to it being a minor repair) coming out to $80 after shipping and taxes.

I was not pleased with this. I called them this morning and talked to a wonderful customer service rep named Joy who after some back and forth gave me a "one-time exception" and my 3DS is getting repaired for free.

So. If you have issues don't give up, fellow freedom fighters! Viva the consumer!

(also - they ship it back for free if I choose no repair, they ship it back for free if it's under warranty, but if I pay for repair I pay for shipping too! Wtf?!)

Anth0ny

I just want white god damn it.

How long until NOA started releasing new 3DS colors? Was it Flare Red? That dropped September 9, 2011. That's ~6 months after launch. Jesus.

Maybe they'll release a "Paper White" 3DS XL bundled with Paper Mario.

Finally got my hands on one of these sexy beasts yesterday and now have an irrational urge to upgrade my original 3DS. What's the best way to go about this (UK) at minimum cost?

I wouldn't usually go near Game but their £80 upgrade deal is looking pretty good right now. Searching eBay for completed listings on a used black 3DS seems to show an average sale price of around £80. This would leave me paying around another £90 to upgrade to the XL which is why the Game deal is looking pretty sweet. Anyone else upgraded in the UK and got a better deal than this?

No, that is the best I have seen but Gamestop have a very similar deal I believe.

I think it's the best 3D Mario, but I'm in the minority there.

So am I then :).

Reclaimer

I never personally owned an original DS, but have played one.

I now own a regular 3DS, and started getting into my huge backlog of DS games.

I'm already set on a 3DSXL (Mario3D and Zelda Master Quest will be glorious!)... But I have to ask...

I have the spare cash, should I also just pick up a regular DSiXL system for all the DS games I plan on playing? Would it be the best experience for those games? Or is the 3DSXL good enough?

Santiako

I never personally owned an original DS, but have played one.

I now own a regular 3DS, and started getting into my huge backlog of DS games.

I'm already set on a 3DSXL (Mario3D and Zelda Master Quest will be glorious!)... But I have to ask...

I have the spare cash, should I also just pick up a regular DSiXL system for all the DS games I plan on playing? Would it be the best experience for those games? Or is the 3DSXL good enough?

The DSiXL is undoubtely the best way to experience DS games, but the 3DS XL is very good as well, in 1:1 mode they look a bit bigger than a regular DSi, which is excellent.

What are people doing for cases? Any good ones out there yet?

I'm just using this:

tumblr_ldl0npseSu1qzp9weo1_400.jpg

I just want white god damn it.

How long until NOA started releasing new 3DS colors? Was it Flare Red? That dropped September 9, 2011. That's ~6 months after launch. Jesus.

Maybe they'll release a "Paper White" 3DS XL bundled with Paper Mario.
I just want an SE White, nothing else.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
The DSiXL is undoubtely the best way to experience DS games, but the 3DS XL is very good as well, in 1:1 mode they look a bit bigger than a regular DSi, which is excellent.

I'm just using this:

tumblr_ldl0npseSu1qzp9weo1_400.jpg
Same. I use that for all my handhelds. Including Vita.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Where can you get that thing? I'd love it for my 3DSxl, somehow it seems like it'll get scratches easy so I need some protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom