• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5-10-15-20

Geez. You KIDS. HISSSSSSSSSSSSS

But seriously:

5: I don't know how any of you remember anything you did when you were five, because I sure as hell don't. Probably something on the Commodore 64.

10: Aces of the Pacific. Made by the same people behind Red Baron, Aces of the Pacific was a quantum leap forward in dogfighting simulators because Dynamix probably doubled the polygon count of each plane from 50 to 100. I spent so many hours playing this game, and it sparked an interest in World War II thanks to its comprehensive manual covering most of the major battles of the Pacific theater. There's even a section detailing Lemay's firebombing of Japan and how devastating it was from the perspective of Japanese civilians. Surprisingly heavy subject matter to cover in the manual.

15: Descent II. I loved Descent, at least partially because it let me feel superior to all the people playing Doom and Quake (OH YEAH DOES YOUR GAME LET YOU MOVE IN ALL SIX DIRECTIONS HUH HUH?). But it was also a really sweet game, and it absolutely holds up even today. Descent II was quite possibly the first PC game I bought with my own money. It got me into making levels, some of which you can probably still find today if you look hard enough. It got me into web design, with a whole bunch of fan sites including one of the early Gamespy fan sites. I met my first actual game developers--not in person, of course, but via Descent IRC channels where some of them hung out. And on top of all that, it was the first game I ever played a ton of multiplayer in, which led to me starting a high school LAN gaming club.

20: Grand Theft Auto 3. I didn't play a ton of games in university, partially because I just fell out of it and partially because I devoted my time to other things. But I still had a few games I'd play the hell out of, and one of them was GTA3. I remember being baffled years later when I tried to play the PS2 version and wondered how on earth anyone managed to shoot anything; the PC version, by contrast, was magnificent. It also taught me how to make 3D models of cars; I ended up releasing a few models for download, including a Smart coupe. Those cars led to someone from Volition asking me if I wanted to intern with them in Champaign, IL; I turned them down because I didn't want to leave university and head to the scary ol' States for a summer. I still don't know if I should've done it or not, but I'm pretty okay with not being a video game developer.

25: Rock Band. I bought a PS3 for a few reasons--Gran Turismo 5 and Wipeout HD were big ones--but only one of those reasons involved a game that was already out by the time I bought it. Guitar Hero was a pretty neat game, but ever since high school what I really wanted to do was drum, so of course Rock Band was the coolest thing ever. The only difficulty was justifying the high price tag, which I mitigated by selling off Guitar Hero III for the Wii (which at the time was selling used for higher than I'd bought it for a month or two earlier). It was totally worth it, though. I still have the original PS3 guitar, and I think the drumset too?

30: Sleeping Dogs. 2012 was a pretty good year for games--I could've also put Spec Ops: The Line or Persona 4 Golden here, for example. But Sleeping Dogs is probably the game I'll cherish for being itself; Spec Ops I like for what it represents, but I don't like the game itself as much, and Persona 4 Golden I really just like because it's Persona 4, and I played that previously. Sleeping Dogs, though, is one of those games whose sum is greater than its parts. It's a Hong Kong crime story, except you get to be in it; it's an open-world game, but better grounded and less cringe-y than modern GTA games; you shoot things a lot, but you're heavily encouraged to beat the shit out of people with your fists more often than not. It's one of the few western-produced games I've played with a mostly Asian cast, and I didn't realize until later that that was actually kind of important to me. But more than that, I had a ton of fun cruising the highways of Hong Kong and bullet-timing my way through John Woo-style shootouts. We'll never get another like it.

5 - Kid Chameleon, I remember walking into HMV and my mum saying I could have any game, this had just been released and looked ridiculously cool at the time, I'd play it for hours on end and never completed it as a child, well not without cheating.

10 - Goldeneye, this game was huge with me and my friends. Every single night we would always go to each others houses taking a controller in our school bags so we didn't have to use a friends crappy third party offerings. Be it hours playing death match or trying to unlock everything this was huge.

15 - Metroid Prime, one of my favourite games of all time in what I'd consider to be the Gamecubes strongest years.

20 - Skate, if I wasn't at uni or out I was playing this game or watching a housemate play it.

25 - Journey, the game that brought me back to gaming. I had never stopped but I was sick of the direction AAA had gone, lacking subtlety, lots of bloom, muddy lucking worlds. This got me looking at types of gaming I had never considered before and found out I vastly preferred them.

30 - No specific game as of yet but it would easily be VR as a whole at the moment.

Vitet

Well here it goes:

5 - Pitfall
10 - Super Mario World
15 - Starcraft
20 - Quake III Arena
25 - Super Mario Galaxy
30 - Diablo III

My life has been like this:

Kid - Consoles till Super Nintendo
Teen - PC (Strategy and competitive FPS mostly, with some MMORPG)
Adult - Nintendo + PC

taco543

5- Porky Pig's Haunted Holiday, I still remember my dad coming home with an SNES and this game, it's also the first game I ever played/owned.

10- Grand Theft Auto Vice City, my older brother (16 at the time) convinced my mom after weeks to pick the game up and it was amazing.

15- Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, I remember playing this game online and my mind being blown. I was more than hooked I was addicted, I remember playing in a clan having clan battles and the relief of hitting tenth prestige and then the glory of unlocking and finishing every challenge.

20- Borderlands 2, this game is pretty divisive, either you love it or hate it, I fucking love it. One of my favorite shooters with some hilarious characters and an amazing villain in handsome jack. Now we wait for 3.

25- not there yet, November of this year!

Zolbrod

5 (1984) - I have no idea. We didn't have a console or computer at that time. but I do have vague recollections of playing Frogger on a friend's Atari.

10 (1989) - If I remember correctly, this is the year I finally got an NES, and the first/biggest game I played was SMB2. That game consumed my life for pretty much the entire year.

15 (1994) - Mega Man X and Super Street Fighter II.

20 (1999) - Final Fantasy VIII.

25 (2004) - Silent Hill 4.

30 (2009) - Uncharted 2 and Dissidia.

35 (2014) - Theathrythm Curtain Call.

stuminus3

5 - Pac-Man (arcade)
10 - Moley Christmas (cover tape on Your Sinclair)
15 - Super Mario World (Europe were always late in those days)
20 - Goldeneye 007
25 - Animal Crossing

Anything after that is a blur.

wreckml

5: Legend of Zelda (NES) / SMB1-3/ Super Mario World / Marble Madness / Side Pocket

10: Army Men/Doom/Pokemon Red/Goldeneye/Super Mario 64/Ocarina of Time

15: Halo 1 / Super Mario Sunshine / Metroid Prime / Counter-Strike 1.5-1.6

20: Call of Duty 4/WoW: Wrath of the Lich King/Guitar Hero Series

25: Dark Souls 1/Walking Dead Season 1/Last of Us/GTA5

30 is next year :(

• 5 - 1992, I received the first game that was every mine, and it was Sonic 2. If you know me, you'll know Sonic's important to me, and Sonic 2 was the best 2D Sonic game.

• 10 - 1997. There were so many critical games that year, from FFVII to Goldeneye. I think I drew Cloud's spiky hair in the margin of every notebook I had. But as far as the games I was playing most, it was either Mischief Makers or Bomberman 64.

• 15 - 2002. I was definitely still playing Halo 2 from 2001. But 2002 was the year of a bunch of sequels to games that were important to me that didn't surpass their predecessors: Mario Sunshine, GTA Vice City, and Tony Hawk 4.

• 20 - Halo 3. The best in the franchise, the best shooter I've ever played, and the most cohesive in terms of aesthetic and visual design.

DandySpike

Neo Member
5 Years: At five, I did not own any video game console. The closest experience I had where playing Galaga and Ms. Pac-man at local taquerias, and in my day care where they had these old computers that a lot emulated games. I played Super Mario Bros. and the original Prince of Persia on those computers quite often.

10 Years: This was around the end of the Gamecube era for me as I was getting excited for the Wii. Before getting it I would play Super Smash Bros. Melee for hours on end along with, Soul Calibur 2, the Naruto: Clash of Ninja games, Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 2, Viewtiful Joe, Ultimate Spider-Man, the Mega Man Anniversary Collection, and both the 2D and 3D Sonic games.

15 Years: I have owned a Wii for a long time at this point. And I just received my 3DS. The games I spend most of time were Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, my Virtual Console collection, Goldeneye remake, Punch-Out, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and Donkey Kong Country Returns.

I'm still twenty so for now this is my 5-10-15.

5 - Didn't have access or aware of video games yet
10 - Sonic & Knuckles
15 - Need for Speed High Stakes(PS1) / Tekken Tag Tournament(Arcade)
20 - Unreal Tournament 2004/ Halo 2 ( I had an Xbox for a short while)

hotcyder

5 - Probably a little too young, but sure it may of been my sister's copy of Super Mario Brothers on the NES

10 - Banjo Tooie: Probably one of my most anticipated games at that age. Loved the original; the idea of a bigger, broader sequel was enough to keep me excited.

15 - Gears of War: Bundled with my Xbox 360. A dry year for titles, but this was probably one of the earliest titles that I enjoyed, and later gatewayed me to trying out it's systemic predesesor - RE4

20 - Super Mario 3D Land: Between this and Mario Kart 7, it made a 3DS worth owning. Lot of other great titles this year too.

25 - XCOM2: Favourite title of last year, and the one I've probably sunk the most time into! Also enjoyed a lot of DOOM, Hitman and Dishonored 2, and finally got around to playing Dark Souls for the first time.

5 - Galaga - my family owned a bar that had arcade games, so I played a lot of Defender, Pole Position, Zaxxon, Gorf etc.
10 - Zelda
15 - Street Fighter II
20 - Resident Evil

This is exposing youngins and oldies wow

5-Klonoa
10- Kingdom Hearts 2/Runescape
15-Battlefield Bad Company 2
20- TLOU Remastered? GTA V? No clue honestly

forrest

formerly nacire
5 - Pong
10 - Super Mario Brothers
15 - The Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past
20 - Tomb Raider
25 - Halo
30 - World of Warcraft
35 - Ico/Shadow of the Colossus (Since these were omitted on previous years they must go here for their PS3 release) Fumito Ueda has had a huge impact on my appreciation and love for the medium
40 - The Last of Us

Metal Gear Solid, Ocarina of Time, Super Metroid and Prime, Dark Souls series...so many great moments in my life left of the editing room floor :D

5 - Sonic the Hedgehog series

10 - Super Mario 64.

15 - Counter Strike 1.6 / Source

20 - Odd year. At this point, not present in years 5-15, I was already working my first part-time job. I had a PS3 this year, 2009. I still lived with my parents at age 20. No bills and disposable income? Let's just say PS3's 2009 line up shaped my gaming life at 20. I remember buying Uncharted 2, Assassin's Creed 2, Arkham Asylum, Modern Warfare 2, Borderlands all on release just to name a few.

25 - This year wasn't defined by a game. I've always gamed on both console and PC side-by-side. 2014 marks the year where I was feeling big budget burnout (I pre-ordered Watch Dogs like a sucker). 2014 marks the year where I slowly stopped buying console games and preferred to buy the PC versions instead; I preferred gaming on my PC in general. The indie scene was exploding, it seemed like. PC gaming offered me more diverse choices in games and genres (love strategy games!) from developers that weren't pushing pre-order DLC/online passes/season passes. I was rocking a budget rig I built at the time but it still gave me better performance than my PS4. By the end of this year, possibly early-mid 2015: I sold my consoles and went all in on PC. I used the cash for some massive upgrades.

30 - 2 years to go.

No way can I name a single title per era.

5 - Super Mario Bros, Dragon's Lair, Oregon Trail. This was the era of arcade games, and I didn't own an NES, but the computer at school sure as shit hat Oregon Trail. This is about the time I realize that marrying myself to a single platform is a stupid idea because the PC at school is free to use and my parents are years away from buying me a console.
10 - Super Mario Bros 3, Mega Man 2, BattleTech: The Crescent Hawk's Inception, Pool of Radiance. Simultaneously the golden age of the NES and the golden age of RPGs on 5 1/4" floppy disks. This definitely shaped my appetite for CRPGs for years to come. The NES is the only console my parents ever buy for me. I save and scrimp for everything from this point.
15 - Probably my favorite era of home gaming. The SNES was getting the best of its RPG library at this point, there are just too many to name but Arcades (Mortal Kombat II) and computer games (Syndicate) were not falling behind even a little bit.
20 - Playstation takes over my life. Xenogears and Metal Gear Solid take turns in the console. My computer is basically a Baldur's Gate machine. Grim Fandango becomes the swan song of the adventure genre. Brood War takes over my dorm in college for a year until quake 3 comes out.

Tyrael

5 - I was playing Atari, so there was nothing much as music in the games. The only game I can remember to having music was Bobby Goes Home.

10 - It was NES time, so a lot of great chiptunes that I hear even today. Super Mario Bros, Ninja Gaiden 3, 1943, Castlevania and Gradius 2 are the most memorable to me.

15 - Mega Drive with Sonic 1 and 2, Contra Hard Corps and Street Fighter II CE.

20 - Dreamcast days, it was when I really begin to stop and listen to game music even when I was not playing games. Shenmue I and II, Grandia 2, Skies of Arcadia and PSO.

25 - I had a PS2, Xbox and GameCube, so there's a gigantic music selection from that era to choose. I will go with Halo, MGS2, Zelda Wind Waker and Baten Kaitos.

5: The Legend of Zelda

This is a popular choice! It's not quite my first gaming memory (absolute first is playing some game in a department store while I was 3 or 4 and my mom held me, no idea what it was), but it was definitely the first game I truly delved into. My dad made copies of the foldout map and put it on a large piece of cardboard so my brother and I could hold it in our laps while playing. I have fond memories of one of us playing while the other gave directions. The music and images from this game became a deeply indelible part of my childhood - my parents used to try to convince me to eat meat by telling me it was "Link food". I had a toy sword and bow and arrow because I wanted to be Link.

A few years ago I booted up my old cart in a retro machine emulator and still found a save with my brother's name on it and all of the extra hearts unlocked. The affection I feel for this game is hard to overstate.

10: Super Mario RPG

This was my first RPG that I actually grasped. I had tried playing Chrono Trigger and Breath of Fire II but was too young to really know what I was doing (though the former ended up later becoming my GOAT favorite). The simplified Mario-sheen and timing elements made the game accessible, and I once again have many fond memories of playing with my brother. We played so much that we had the music for every location memorized, and sometimes we'd play a game where one of us would pick a location and the other would guess it based on the music. This was definitely the game that unlocked my love of RPGs, which continues to this day.

15: <none>

I stopped playing video games for awhile.

20: Fallout 3

Playing this game with friends got me through a really difficult point in my life. Regardless of how well it holds up, I'll look back on it fondly for helping to distract me and bring me closer to my friends during a period in which I really needed it.

25 and on: <none>

I still play games, but nothing has had the same impact on me. Perhaps I'm just a cynical old man now. Reminds me of a quote from a game developer (can't remember who), something along the lines of "When we play games as adults, we're just trying endlessly to recapture the feeling we had playing when we were 12". ;-(

TedHub

Banned
5 - SA2B Chao Garden
10 - Portal
15 - Mario Kart 7
20 - Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 (I just turned 20 today, as a matter of fact!)

5: I don't know how any of you remember anything you did when you were five, because I sure as hell don't. Probably something on the Commodore 64.

I don't remember too much, but you'd be surprised at some people. I remember moving from Germany to Omaha a few months after my birthday. While on the plane over, my dad and my brother played Tetris on the 2 Game Boys via link cable. I remember first moving into our new home and watching TV while sitting on folding chairs. I started kindergarten later that year, and got my first crush on a girl.

carda114

5 - I don't believe we had anything game related in our house at this point besides maybe educational PC titles -- my father always saw games as a waste of time -- but I would have to say that, playing games at friends' places, Super Mario 64 was probably the big one. Just an amazing experience at the time. Always felt like there was more and more to find whenever I had my hands on it.

10 - The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, hands down. We had a Nintendo 64 by this point and I got this game at release I'm fairly certain. Ocarina of Time was huge for me just before then so this was basically heaven. I still love this game so much.

15 - Kingdom Hearts II. Had been looking forward to it for years by then and obsessive about it, as I had been about a lot of things at the time. I eventually came to find the game disappointing, though it took me ages to let myself or others realize that. Final Mix Critical Mode did wonders for this game though.

20 - This year was all about the Nintendo 3DS -- rough patch for that handheld's launch, for sure -- Batman: Arkham City, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, and L.A. Noire. The last item there was definitely not the best for me. I haven't touched Zelda since I beat it then, but I certainly have some fond feelings for it.

25 - I'm still working through all the games and shit that released last year. VR was pretty mind boggling. Uncharted 4 was great, as was The Last Guardian. Final Fantasy XV and Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse were good. But it was older titles I was only just coming around to playing that really made an impression on me last year, with NieR, Drakengard 3, Amnesia: The Dark Descent and SOMA being backlog titles I played and really enjoyed in some way or another. Also, getting older has meant that I don't have as much time to commit to this hobby as I used to. But my enthusiasm hasn't yet died.

Schnozberry

5 - Super Mario Bros
10 - Super Metroid
15 - Final Fantasy VII
20 - Metroid Prime
25 - Super Mario Galaxy
30 - The Last of Us
35 - Ask me in a few years.

Otnopolit

5 - Zelda: OoT and Diablo (Technically I was 5 in '96, so the true answer is Super Mario 64)
10 - Halo
15 - Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
20 - Dark Souls
25 - Bloodborne

I had to give/take a year for some. Pretty happy with the list! So many others left behind, tho.

ironmang

5 - Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - Was obsessed with sonic at this age.
10 - Pokemon Red/Blue - Don't think a game ever consumed my life the way this did then. Still feel like my friends and I were the perfect age for this to make the NA debut. Young enough that video games were our priority, old enough that we could understand the card game.
15 - Runescape - Was pretty addicted to the original version of this game around 2002-2004. I would like to say CS 1.6 but I probably put 5x as many hours into RS over those years.
20 - Gears of War 2 - Gears 1 was mostly solo but Gears 2 was when everybody had 360s and we all started playing the series together.
25 - Super Street Fighter 4 - Was pretty addicted to this from 2010-2013. Was either playing or watching every event including the socal and nyc weekly streams.

5 - Super Mario World, what a beautiful game it is. Finished so so many times.

10- Ocarina of Time or Banjo Kazooie, both were dominating my imagination hard at that point.

15- Shadow of the Colossus, it was so so beautiful.

20- Nothing, I didn't game at the time. I had some issues with depression that led me to try and become someone else by selling my collection around that time. I kept my Gamecube, in which I remember playing Wind Waker at spots.

25- The Witcher 3, Bloodborne and Talos Principle and I realized that no way in hell will I stop gaming from now on. I just love this shit too much.

SystemUser

5 - Donkey Kong on my neighbor's Atari. Robotron 2084 and Star Wars were the best games at Chuck E Cheese.

10 - Double Dragon 2 on the NES. Madden on the Genesis blew me away.

15 - I rented Mario 64 a few years before I bought my own. My friends and I got 80 stars in the two days we had it.

20 - Bought a Gameboy Advance on launch day with F Zero and Advance Wars I think

5 - Hunt the Wumpus (TI-99/4A). The first video game I ever played. My dad introduced me to it. Later in life he'd introduce me to some of my other favorites (including my answer for age 15).

10 - Super Sprint. This is an Atari arcade cabinet that I whittled away hours with at the local mall. At this time in my life my PC and game console (a Sega Master System) were both getting a bit long in the tooth, so I was spending my weekends at the arcade for the latest state-of-the-art experience. Super Sprint remains my favorite arcade racer today.

15 - Doom. My dad brought the shareware version home from work on a diskette one January evening and said he had seem some coworkers playing it on the network and he thought I'd like it. I was a big Wolfenstein 3-D fanatic by this time, and had had some of my custom levels published in Apogee's Wolfenstein Super Upgrades Pack, so of course I jumped at the chance. I've never been so amazed by a video game as I was when I watched Doom's first demoloop.

20 - This is a tossup between System Shock 2 and Deus Ex (the original). SS2 is my favorite cyberpunk game ever. And although DX ran like crap on my brand new gaming rig, this was eventually sorted out by future patches and I came to love this game for the hallmark experience it is now known for. Later in life, during dark times, the Deus Ex soundtrack is among the music I've used to help cheer myself up. Actually 20 is a difficult age to pick one game for...there was also the original Half-Life, Metal Gear Solid, and so much more.

I could keep going, but then it would be pretty obvious how damn old I am.

Cleve

5 - Kings Quest (amiga)
10 - Link to the Past
15 - Jedi Knight (1997 was a fucking real year, this is tough)
20 - Deus Ex (years after it came out, it defined what games could be for me)
25 - Wow Burning crusade. I started with vanilla, but BC I was in full swing of wow fever
30- Mass Effect 3 - This brought an end to one of my favorite franchises in a way that was so utterly disappointing it really made me think deeper about what I looked for in games.

I could keep going, but then it would be pretty obvious how damn old I am.

This is GAF, there's plenty of aging farts here.

5: Megaman Zero 3 on the GameBoy Advance SP. I remember that game because I was so spectacularly bad at that game, I didn't even beat the first level for months. When I finally beat it, it was stunning because, for the longest time, I was convinced the game only had that one level because the boss was so hard.

10: Wii Sports or Sonic & The Secret Rings. I got a Wii during the launch period because my mom managed to wake up early, queue up at a Circuit City, and get the last Wii they had there. I was the happiest kid on Christmas Day/my 10th birthday, and I remember eagerly trying out all the games my mom managed to buy, including Sonic. S&TSC was such an average game, but the one reason I remember the game was because I never got past the first time you fought against the main bad guy in that game. Stupid time mechanics. My Wii is one of my most beloved items, and I still have the original box it came in. I love that thing to death; I just wish I could find all my other games.

15: Team Fortress 2. I was super late to the whole Steam thing, especially this game in particular. When I finally got a laptop of my own, naturally I first installed Steam and stumbled my way upon a newly F2P TF2. And holy shit, it was like finding perfection in digital form. The gameplay was like crack and each match felt tense and engaging. As a first multiplayer shooter, it was amazing.

20: Considering I've been 20 for all of 23 days now, I guess my defining game so far is "Sly Cooper"? It's my first platinum trophy.

themoose5

Neo Member
This is a really interesting and fun exercise.

5. Pokemon Yellow

10. Kingdom Hearts

15. Halo 3

20. Skyrim

25. I'll let you know after my birthday this summer

5: Final Fantasy "2", Final Fantasy "3", Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana (I was an awesome kid)
10: Chrono Cross, Pokemon Silver, and a LOT of Perfect Dark
15: Tales of Destiny 2 (Japanese that I got when I was 15 even if it came out earlier), Tales of Rebirth (same, Japanese), Tales of Eternia, Tales of Symphonia...I had a really Tales heavy period there.
20: 3D Dot Game Heroes, Dragon Quest (all of them)
25: FFXIV ARR, I'm sure there were other important ones buuuuut MMOs

Fisty

5- probably LoZ, I got an NES at 4 and LoZ sometime after that

10- Gunstar Heroes, General Chaos, Maximum Carnage

15- FF8/9, somewhere in there

20- God of War 2, Ass Creed, Doom 3? Was a weird time for me and gaming, was stuck between a semi-crap PC and couldn't afford a $599 PS3 so I mostly just played PS2 games (terrible I know lol)

SheHateMe

5: Hang-On and later that year Super Mario Bros. (My mom had a Sega Master System, then she got me a NES.)

10: Super Mario Bros. 3 and later that year Super Mario World. (Still rocking that NES, but I was renting a SNES almost every weekend. I miss when video stores used to rent out systems.)

15: Destruction Derby, Tekken 2, Twisted Metal, Battle Arena Toshinden, Ridge Racer Revolution (You can tell that I got my Playstation this year, huh? LOL)

20: Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3, Phantsay Star Online, Resident Evil: Code Veronica, DOA 2 (and then DOA 3 later that year), Soul Calibur, Onimusha, Gran Turismo 3, Grand Theft Auto 3, Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Solid 2, SSX Tricky, Halo, Super Smash Bros. Melee, and Final Fantasy X. (College, man. College. I had my Dreamcast, my PS2, and a Xbox. I played WAY TOO MANY GAMES in college.)

25: Fight Night Round 3, Burnout Revenge, Lumines, Mega Man Powered Up, TES Oblivion, Dead Rising, Tekken 5: DR, Street Fighter 2' Hyper Fighting, Bully, Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, WWE Smackdown Vs. Raw 2007, and Gears Of War. (I had a PSP and got a 360 off the strength of Fight Night Round 3. I was also aimless for 2 years after college, so I spent a lot of time with my brother playing video games.)

30: Marvel vs. Capcom 3: FTW (and later Ultimate MvC3), Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (and later MW3), Fight Night Champion, WWE All Stars, Mortal Kombat, Portal 2, L.A. Noire, Final Fantasy Tactics: WotL, Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep, Batman: Arkham City, and Skyrim. (Sheesh. This was a big year for me video game wise.)

35 (which I am now): Destiny: The Taken King (and Rise Of Iron later that year), Gravity Rush Remastered, Street Fighter V, Hitman, Trackmania Turbo, Killer Instinct, Enter The Gungeon, Ratchet And Clank, Uncharted Collection, Overwatch, Odin Sphere LalalaLand, Grand Kingdom, Hyper Light Drifter, No Man's Sky, Deus Ex: HR, Sunset Overdrive, COD Infinite Warfare, Super Mario Maker 3DS and Mafia 3. BONUS The Legend Of Zelda: A Link to the Past. (Finally got both an XB1 and a 3DS this year, so yeah. Gaming gaming and more gaming.)

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
5 - Super Mario Bros, at my neighbour's house. I ran into the first goomba and died. Didn't play much.
10 - Shining Force on my brother's Sega Genesis. Got me into gaming in general.
15 - PSX era, playing stuff like Legacy of Kain, Wild ARMs and Final Fantasy VII
20 - Not much going on during that year... Probably just replaying Metal Gear Solid 2 or Silent Hill 2? Fake edit: oh, Suikoden III came out that year, so probably that.
25 - .... I don't know. Guitar Hero 3 and Gears of War on the Xbox 360? The early PS360 period was truly unremarkable for me. (2 years later I would get back into gaming thanks to Demon's Souls <3)
30 - Was probably still playing and replaying Dark Souls, and Demon's Souls PvP

mclem

5 - Arcade games and Game And Watch. Also occasionally playing a maze game on the family Rowtron.
10 - Spectrum, Spectrum, Spectrum. Rainbow Islands would be about the right time.
15 - SNES, and 'borrowing' Dad's work PC. Standout titles: Doom, X-Wing
20 - At university! PC still, with N64 (I remember playing a lot of Blast Corps in my Uni room, along with Mario Party)
25 - Disposable income time, and, well, I went - still am - a bit obsessive. I reached a point where I'd basically decided that I wasn't going to be too locked to a small subset of devices; if I want to play a game, I'll own the device it's on.
30+ - World of Warcraft happened, but after the initial rush (long over by the time I hit 30) I'd hit a comfortably varied regime where I'd keep plenty of non-WoW gaming time to continue to sample the full range of the industry.

FingerBang

Awesome thread! Let me see.

Born in 87

5... this is REALLY hard, how am i supposed to remember when I was 5? :D
It was before I got a SNES, so I was mostly playing with an Atari 2600 and a Commodore 64... maybe Wonderboy?

10 Hard to choose, I got the first Playstation when I was 10. I want to say Crash Bandicoot?

15 Kingdom Hearts, probably.

20 The year I got a PS3... probably the first Uncharted (I loved it at the time).

25 The Walking Dead, by Telltale (of course).

30 Just turned 30, I'm just gonna throw The Last Guardian in because it's the last game I finished.

5 - Super Mario Bros on my friend's NES
10 - Super Mario Land 2 on GB, I didn't have a home console of my own until I was 12
15 - Hard to pick between GTA 3 and Halo.
20 - Guitar Hero (and later Rock Band), these were the staple of college parties

I don't feel like there have been any quintessential gaming experiences that defined my game playing since that time. I've just settled into games as a hobby, I play one, finish it, and move on.

5: Punch Out! or Tecmo Bowl - Played these with my brother a lot. Good times.

10 - Sunset Riders - This was my shit. If I wasn't playing it at home I was playing it at the local pizza place.

15 - Soulcalibur - Local video store had this in the back. Tons of time playing this with friends.

20 - Vampire: Bloodlines - The Masquerade - I was a huge Buffy and Angel fan and an RPG nut so this was the perfect storm. Still in my top 5 games of all time.

25 - Dragon Age: Origins - I was a huge fan of Baldur's Gate so I was all over this. Shame about the sequels. :-(

30 - Shovel Knight - Game got me back into 2d platformers.

THIS THREAD SOUNDS FUN except the 5 category sounds hard i'll try my best

5: Space Quest I: Roger Wilco in the Sarien Encounter (The VGA Remake)/Super Munchers

10: Either Super Mario RPG or Perfect Dark. one of those, who knows
15: World of Warcraft
20: this is probably gonna be World of Warcraft too

I SWEAR I PLAY VIDEO GAMES NOW, MY EARLY 20'S WERE JUST DRIVEN BY WOMEN AND OTHER THINGS :(

Top Bottom