• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5-10-15-20

Kade

I have a pretty good recollection of what I played because I tend to get obsessed with things and experiences pretty easily so they become pretty difficult to forget.

5 - Columns, Sonic The Hedgehog
10 - Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
15 - Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike, StarCraft: Brood War, Guild Wars
20 - Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Super Smash Bros. Brawl
25 - Overwatch, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Doom

Zephyx

5 - Mostly Famicom games that I don't even remember the title nowadays.
10 - Brigandine, FFVII, Suikoden II, Pokemon games
15 - FFVIII (played this around 11-13 but was my favorite FF since), DOTA, Tactics Ogre
20 - Persona 4, Kingdom Hearts
25 - Trails games, Persona 5 (which I will certainly play this year) and DOTA 2 which I've been playing since 2012.

Tambini

5 - Crash Bandicoot
10 - Runescape
15 - Modern Warfare 2
20 - that's right now and nothing comes to mind. The two games I played for the first time and adored in 2016 were Shadow of the Colossus and Xenoblade Chronicles

And Grows

Neo Member
5. Sonic 2. The Genesis was my first console, and this was my first game. I never got far.

10. Pokemon Blue. I was deep in the pocket. Had a toolbox filled with the TCG cards, t-shirts, the whole thing. I named my Bulbasaur "Bulbasaur" because I hated how the game stylized Pokemon names in all caps. Eventually, of course, I had a Venusaur named "Bulbasaur."

15. Rainbow Six 3. Xbox Live was born, and this is what my friends and I all latched onto. SOCOM and Halo 2 both belong somewhere around here too, my concept of time is a bit shit.

20. Street Fighter IV. I had loved other fighting games before, especially the Marvel vs. Capcom games, but this was the first time I got really serious about one. I bought an arcade stick and got down to looking at frame data (and sucking).

Patch13

5 Star Wars (the original vector graphics arcade game). The Force will be with me, always.
10 Stolen moments of Mega Man on my cousin's Game Boy, probably -- my family had fallen on hard times, and I had no game gadgets :-(
15 Quest for Glory 4, I think. I had worked to buy a PC by then.
20 Crash Bandicoot, on my roommate's PlayStation.
25 Final Fantasy X2, on my PS2 -- dress up Final Fantasy is the best Final Fantasy!
30 Brütal Legend -- due to childhood deprivation, I am pretty bad at games, but this maybe allowed me to enjoy the game more than others did. Instead of strategizing, I just ran around rallying troops and beating things with my axe, which was apparently the right way to play.
35 Splatoon! That was a damn fine game, with a great year of events and new stuff. Looking forward to similar fun later this year ...

JillSandwich

Neo Member
5. StarCraft: Broodwar - This was basically the only game that I knew how to run on my computer... I think there were others but i was too young to understand DoS so i never got a chance to play them

10. Animal Crossing: Wild World - My parents never really bought new video games so I had to rely on friends and their portable systems. This was the first game where I could really "customize" anything in a game and I think thats what drew me in.

15. Infinity Blade 2 - I would do literally anything to prevent myself from doing actual work in my english class that year, I think I'm still in the top 1% of the leaderboards?

20. This is a little harder because 16 is when I really started putting money into video games, so naturally theres a lot more to choose from. I cant decide between these two:

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - My go-to example for game mechanics being art in video games. The unfinished story did nothing to prevent me from enjoying the pure bliss that the stealth mechanics were in that game
Life Is Strange - Really the only game that I've actively participated within the "fandom" for. Racing to be the first to find little details that were hard to notice was so thrilling and I loved attempting to predict the overall plot.

orborborb

5-6
MacPaint, Dark Castle

8-9
Sim City, Kid Icarus, Milon's Secret Castle, Metroid, Super Mario Bros. 2, Castlevania 2, Zelda 2, Final Fantasy

11-12
F-Zero, Actraiser, Quest for Glory, The Journeyman Project, Myst

15-16
Marathon, Marathon 2: Durandal, Magic: The Gathering, Mario 64

Unreal Tournament, Quake 3, Majora's Mask, Final Fantasy IX, Soul Calibur

Half Life 2, Yoshi Touch and Go

Risen, Minecraft, Demon's Souls

Spelunky, Destiny

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
5 - I remember some version of Snake on an atari style system at someone's house. I also remember playing with a pac man arcade machine. (I am old)

10 - I am guessing this is the height of the NES for me. Final Fantasy NES maybe? Loved that game, played it with my older sister and younger brother. accidently deleted our save file, and was seriously scared about what my sister would do to me. My mom had to talk to her and tell her it was an accident.

15 - Saturn height. VF2, street fighter alpha 2, nights into dreams.....

20 - I think this is Shenmue. Wonderful wonderful shenmue I and II.

Funny how this appears to skip the genesis years for me.

taparoo

5- Super Mario Bros. 3- I beat the original when I was 3 years old, but our house was robbed when I was 4 and the NES was one of the things they took. My dad bought me a new NES and this game for my 5th birthday, I'm pretty sure I was parked in front of the TV for weeks straight playing it.

10- Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness- Not my first PC game, but definitely my first RTS. I remember my family making a visit to my mom's best friend, and her husband set up the demo of this on his PC to show me. A few hours later, we both came downstairs after beating it with bloodshot eyes and no idea how much time had passed. He gave me the demo disc to keep and I saved up and bought the full game shortly after, dumping endless hours into it.

15- Final Fantasy IX- Like many others, Final Fantasy VII was my first Final Fantasy and holds a special place in my heart, but Final Fantasy IX was my overall favorite of the PS1 era.

20- World of Warcraft- Dark Age of Camelot was my first and all-time favorite MMO (for PvP reasons), but WoW set the bar a lot higher for MMOs, and kept me playing regularly until the second expansion, when I finally got burned out.

5 -Mario Kart 64 at my cousin's house.
10 -Crash Bandicoot on my PS1 or SMB3 on my NES
15 -Uff, too many games. The ones that stick out are either Red Dead Redemption and Heavy Rain. But I played a crazy amount of MW2 as well. (Also the jump from 10 to 15 is HUGE in terms of video games XD)
20 -Bloodborne, Witcher 3 and MGSV. Damn what a good year.

KyleP29

5: Hard to recall, likely Mario for the NES.

10: Pokemon Red/Blue: Huge hit that year

15: Diablo 2: LoD: Moved to PC with this game and it consumed most of my gaming time for the next 5 years.

20:NCAA Football: Returned to consoles once Maddens stopped going to PC and playing NCAA Football was what sold me on a game system.

25: Cod MW3: Hard to pick a game with Skyrim and Dark Souls out there. But MW3 was the high point for online gaming with a core group of friends that consumed many nights that year.

gngf123

5 - Thunder Force 3: Probably my favourite Mega Drive game.

10 - Pokémon Crystal: Received as a Christmas present, didn't put it down for a long time. Probably got hundreds of hours playing that.

15 - Championship Manager 4: I played this for a while, eventually upgraded to FM around 2008

20 - Pokemon Black: More Pokémon. This was when online Pokémon really started to take over and I'd trade and battle all the time.

oni-link always comes up with these funky thread concepts. I love it, they're some of the more fun and original "meta" threads in this forum.

5, 10, 15, 20 in order:

Super_Mario_Bros._3_coverart.png
latest
latest
Guilty_Gear_XX_PS2_JP.jpg

Terrell

5 - Duck Hunt
10 - Super Mario Kart
15 - Final Fantasy Tactics
20 - Panzer Dragoon Orta

And the bonus round:

25 - No More Heroes
30 - Injustice (this was a bad year for games, looking back)

Unicorn

5-fallout 3
10-the last of us
15-ill let you know when i get there
20-see 15

If not a troll post, this post is admission of violating ToS by having an account long before being 13...

To contribute:

5:
Mortal Kombat II
Arcade and Genesis versions dominated my free time. Memorizing the fatalities and combos I created were what I daydreamed about.
10:
Twisted Metal 2
This would actually tie with Pokemon Blue. The multiplayer aspect of both dominated a lot of summer afternoons.
15:
Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
The Toonami review put me off for a while, but when my friend got the GotY version and I saw the possibilities I insta-bought on Xbox.
20:
Pokemon SoulSilver
Amazing remake of the best generation of pokmeon. Hundreds of hours spent in the main campaign and breeding probably carried it into at least 1000 hours.

JBwB

5 - Super Mario World and the original Descent on PC.

10 - Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. This was my first foray into story focused games. Ended up being my G.O.A.T for quite a while.

15 - Valkyria Chronicles. A truly epic game that flew under the radar for so many back then. Hell I remember the store I bought my copy from only had like 2 copies haha.

20 - Grand Theft Auto V & The Last of Us. No explanation really needed as both speak for themselves.

25 - Not there yet haha.

Tough to recall exactly, I actually had access to a lot of consoles at that time.
I fondly remember playing and watching my older siblings play Super Mario All Stars (mainly SMB3) and Soinc 3 + Knuckles.
I'd say both had an impact on the games I still play to this day.

GTA Vice City.
I very, very clearly remember going shopping with my Mum and her buying me this for the PS2 on release day.
I played it a lot, probably more than any other PS2 game at time.

Probably the most influencial year in gaming for me, as it was the year I got into online multiplayer and also the year I played through my first RPG.
So to back pedal abit, it was 2007. I got a PS3 about a month after release for my birthday with Resistance: Fall of Man and...Def Jam Icon. I later got TES: Oblivion too.
R:FOM being my first introduction into online MP and Oblivion being my first introduction into WRPGs.
I haven't played Oblivion since then, after putting a 140+ hours into it, but it opened me up to many new and old RPGs over the years since I first played it.

I picked up Dark Souls on a whim, and after playing through it, it genuinely changed my outlook and approach to games.
Since then, I've enjoyed games for the challenge they can present moreso than face value entertainment.
Also, it left me with an appreciation of gameplay mechanics like no game before it ever had.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Sounds fun, mine will be weird:

5: The Legend of Zelda... or Duck Hunt. They both had about the same level of impact on me

10: Mortal Kombat 2. I loved this game so much. I would ride my bike to the closest arcade (a usually empty batting cage place) with a recipe box full of 3x5 notecards that I had written combos and fatalities and codes on, and my allowance money would vaporize

15: Gran Turismo. My buddy and I were big racing game fans and got way into this, obviously enthralled by its massive scope and quasi-RPG-like progression system. Back when license tests were fun and not obnoxious...

20: Battlefield 1942. Wake Island all day baby.

What's weird about making this list is how I don't consider myself a fan of any of these series anymore... With Zelda, only Link to the Past had me hyped whereas literally every other game in the series has been meh. Haven't been onboard with MK since 3 (probably not uncommon though), Gran Turismo lost me at 4, Battlefield lost me at 2. Life is weird

Edit: I went through the Wikipedia summaries for the respective years to kindle my memory, for anyone that needs similar help: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_years_in_video_games

oggob

5 (C64)
Impossible Mission - Stay Awhile, Stay Forever!...
Pitstop - Amazing head to head action, especially during the pit stops...
Summer Games - Joysticks were destroyed!

10 (NES)
Super Mario Bros 3 - This was a big PAL release in 1991...
Tetris - Greatest puzzle game ever...
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Fuck you dam! I didn't care if it wasn't great, Turtles was the shit back then...

15 (MD & PS1)
Mortal Kombat 3 - This and the original are some of the only fighting games I continued with...
Formula 1 - Christmas '96, first game on the system, I was blown away with the graphics, full season, full length races, commentary and a kick ass soundtrack...
Micro Machines 2: Turbo Tournament - Possibly the greatest head to head racing game available...
Road Rash 3 - Bikes and weapons, you can't go wrong...

20 (PS2)
Gran Turismo 3 - Not much to say, the grand daddy of racing games...
Frequency - This was a turning point to loving rhythm games...
Grand Theft Auto III - Open world games are redefined, one of the greats...

25 (PS2)
Hitman : Blood Money - My first Hitman game, not my last...
Okami - I don't know how I got into this, but it might have been off the back of We Love Katamari, moving into odd Japanese games.
Guitar Hero I / II - Rhythm games evolved to physical controllers, still to this day a solid Hard difficulty player

30 (PS3)
Uncharted 3 : Drake's Deception - What was assumed the final game of the series, still managed an endgame twist match the previous titles.
InFamous 2 - The first had some issues, but navigating in the sequel was alot of fun.
Enslaved : Odyssey To The West - Game was flawed, but it was still done well.

35 (PS4 & Vita) (Last year)
Life Is Strange - LTTP on this one, but this was a great "point and click" title, much happier that I played this in one go and didn't have to wait between episodes
Uncharted 4 : A Thief's End - And here we have another installment, I have only had a single playthrough to this day, but aside from a couple of nit picks, a great ending to the life of Drake.
Ratchet & Clank - Amazing re-creation of the original, will be all over any future releases.
Hitman GO: Definitive Edition - Played on the Vita, this is how to make mobile games work for smaller treats of existing franchises.
Severed - Dungeon Crawler with touch controls done exceptionally well.
Aegis of Earth: Protonovus Assault - Tower defence game picked up on sale locally, not sure what I was expecting, but whilst it gets a touch grindy at the end, I had way more fun that I thought I would.
Gal*Gun : Double Peace - This is where I am prepared to go now for gaming... lol

5 - hard to remember what I actually had access to at that age, but probably Putt-Putt or Freddy the Fish or something else from the Humongous catalog.
10 - Ken Griffey Jr. for the N64. I played the shit out of that game.
15 - Final Fantasy X. It had come out three years before and I had it at launch, but I was still replaying it three years later (2004).
20 - NieR. Honorable mention for Red Dead Redemption, which I played the week after uni graduation, but that didn't come out until after my 20th birthday.
25 - Persona 4 Golden. I let that experience stretch out - I played P4G over the span of three or four months, mostly an hour at a time each night before bed. The passage of time in real life, for me, added weight to the passage of time in the game.

d_escudero

Neo Member
5 - I remember some pc games (Skunny games, Putt Putt)

10 - PS1 time, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, and Croc. Also Pokemon Yellow

15 - My love for nintendo started, Earthbound, Rhythm Tengoku, Super Mario Galaxy

20 - Mother 3, Dragon Quest

25 - Undertale, Dragon Quest (yet...)

Eliseo

5 - Super mario bros, Jackal

10 - Super mario world

15 - Ocarina of time and Diddy kong racing

20 - Final fantasy 9

25 - Metroid prime 3

30 - Pokemon X

RetroMG

I think my list might be a little long.

5 - The Legend of Zelda; Castlevania
10 - The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
15 - Super Mario 64, Diablo
20 - Metal Gear Solid 2, Super Smash Brothers Melee
25 - Metal Gear Solid 3
30 - Portal 2, Minecraft
35 - Destiny, Stardew Valley, Persona 4 Golden (I was late on this one.)

_SAKY_

5 - Pitfall (Atari 2600)...it begins, I sucked at this game but it was the first one I remember playing and loving.

10 - The Legend of Zelda (NES) What a huge world! In the third or fourth grade I probably beat this game in a few hours, almost EVERY Saturday, before I went outside to play with friends.

15 - Super Mario 64/StarFox 64 (N64) - OMG teh THREE DEEZ! I spent a lot of time on these two collecting a 120 stars as well as getting all the gold medals respectively. I enjoyed the simple gameplay and coupled with the potential for a great challenge. I HAD to get the tank and on foot modes for StarFox64 multiplayer even though the on foot mode was later found to be terribly outmatched and nothing more than a novelty.

20 - Soul Calibur (Dreamcast) - Amazing graphics for the time and the intricacies of the game spoke to me in a way no other fighting game did before.

25 - Halo 2 (Xbox) - This was my first big online game because I personally found online gaming with 56k to be insufferable and I never had a broadband capable gaming device that could also play modern games. I loved the social aspect of it all, clans, randoms, making new friends along with the endless competition and matches with an infinite number of outcomes.

30 - Here comes the backlog! I played just about anything that interested me but never devoted a great amount of time to any one game other than Call of Duty 4. I was part of a small yet well organized clan. There were a lot of nights where we did not lose a single match.

35 - So much backlog

I'm looking forward to starting to play games with my children in the next few years.

Grakl

5 - Coolboarders 3

This shit was godlike, I remember playing this way back when and I would love to play it again. Shoutouts to ps1 in general

10 - The Legend of Zelda, Windwaker
Jet Set Radio

Lots of memories of games here, hard to name one for 10. 5 too, but still.

15 - League of Legends

This was my life

20 - Ultra Street Fighter IV

I was taking this game p seriously and having a hella fun time in NYC and with friends

5- I don't know if I started playing videogames then but my very first game was Batman 89 on Sega, so that.
10- Ocarina of Time/Mario 64
15- Tales of Symphonia
20- GTA 4

5: Hmmm, this was probably Donkey Kong in the arcade, if anything

10: The Legend of Zelda and Castlevania II

15: Super Mario Kart, Mega Man 4 and 5, Sonic the Hedgehog 2

20: Castlevania: SOTN, Mega Man X4, Mega Man 8, Mario Kart 64

25: probably still playing a lot of Super Smash Bros Melee and Phantasy Star Online; then Super Mario Sunshine

30: Super Mario Galaxy

35: Mass Effect 3, Persona 4 Arena

zeldablue

5 - Sonic...too young to remember which one.
10 - Ocarina of Time, still my favorite game of all time.
15 - Zelda: Twilight Princess/Resident Evil 4. A lot of "mature" Nintendo games.
20 - Super Smash Bros Brawl. I probably played like 800 hours of this game with friends in college.
25 - Zelda: Breath of the Wild, I hope...

anothertech

5 - Pole Position

10 - Double Dragon

15 - Streets of Rage 2

20 - Final Fantasy VII

25 - Battlefield 1942

30 - Uncharted

35 - Guild Wars 2

Dam,some hard decisions in there. Had to go with playtime for some of these, even though there were others that made such a difference.

Rurunaki

5 - Mario World (Nes) Underwater theme has always stuck with me.

10 - Final Fantasy 6/ Lufia 2 Kings of jrpgs

15 - Crash Bandicoot Ooga booga!!

20 - Persona 4 I still go back for the soundtrack alone.

25 - Demon's Soul

30 - The Last of Us 'nuff said

KORNdoggy

Going to do this in 2 lists.

Specific years:

5 (1991) - SONIC THE HEDGEHOG
10 (1996) - RESIDENT EVIL
15 (2001) - SILENT HILL 2
20 (2006) - ELDERS SCROLLS OBLIVION
25 (2011) - UNCHARTED 3
30 (2016) - THE LAST GUARDIAN

Favorite games in the time spans between ages:

5 - FLASHBACK
10 - METAL GEAR SOLID
15 - GTA VICE CITY
20 - UNCHARTED 1/2
25 - LAST OF US
30 - THE LAST GUARDIAN

YaBish

5- Pokemon Crystal
10- NBA Jam (all we had was a SNES at that point)
15- Halo 4 multiplayer/Skyrim
20- Dishonored 2/Hitman/The Last Guardian

_h8bit

Banned
5 - Descent, Terminal Velocity, The Hive. Whatever was on our family computer!
10 - Pokemon Blue/Gold. I finished gen 1 shortly before 2 came out and i was over the moon excited about that game. Saw the movie, watched the anime, collected the cards, everything.
15 - World of Warcraft. Spent a stupid amount of time in this with my best friends in high school and it ruled.
20 - Given how much I steer away from the series now, AC: Brotherhood. It was my first real, open world game that left me in awe with how big it was. A year later, Skyrim would blow my mind.
25 - Persona 4: Golden. Totally reignited my interest in RPG's and showed me a new way to think about them

Inukage

5: Donkey Kong Country 2

10: Pokemon Gold and Silver

15: World of Warcraft (Honorable Mention Kingom Hearts 2 mainly for the OP Passion)

20: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

25: Final Fantasy XV

chrixter

5: Super Mario World. First game I truly fell in love with (topping all the NES games I'd been playing up to that point). Still one of my top 3 favorites.

10: Super Mario RPG. My first RPG and a top 20 favorite.

15: Super Smash Bros. Melee. 1000+ hours played. One of my top 5 favorites.

20: Silkroad Online and Rappelz. The start of my dark and shameful MMORPG phase. I don't look fondly upon the games themselves, but I formed some great memories with the people I played with.

25: Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Opened my eyes to a particular design philosophy that really clicks with me. Top 10 favorite.

30: Dishonored 2. Need to let it sink in more, but it's probably a top 20 favorite.

fatty

5: Ms. Pac-Man (arcade), Adventure and Pitfall (2600)
10: Contra and Legend of Zelda
15: Street Fighter 2 (arcade), Final Fantasy 2 (IV)
20: Goldeneye, Starcraft, Final Fantasy Tactics
25: Metroid Prime, Gitarooman
30: Final Fantasy XII, Rockband
35: Starcraft 2, Mass Effect 2 (lttp)

5- Super Mario World (First Game I remember playing. I think I was 5. I also predominantly remember Pilot Wings 64 and the release of the N64)
10- Zelda Oracle of Seasons (I made my grandfather search high and low for a copy of this game. I wanted it so bad. So it kinda shaped my year.)
15- Super Mario 64 DS (The release of the DS was so dope)
20- Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (I was addicted to this game)
25- Witcher 3 (One of the best games I have ever played. It deserves to sit along side RE4 and Ocarina of Time)

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
5 - Atari 2600 and Apple IIgs (Early Sierra adventure stuff, Choplifer, Pac-Man, and Zany Golf coming most to mind)

10 - NES/PC (Zelda 1, SMB, Gyromite, Duck Hunt, Wing Commander, early VGA Sierra stuff)

15 - SNES/Genesis/Sega CD/PC (FF2, SMW, Aladdin, Lucasarts games, Lunar, etc...)

20 - PS1/N64/PC/Saturn (Too many, but all the usual late 90's mid-lifecycle stuff)

25 - PS2/Xbox/GC era... (And WoW) Also Dreamcast fits in here with an import addiction.

30 - 360/PS3/Wii era...

35 - PS4/Wii U (WoW transforms into FFXIV)

5: Super Mario Bros. (FC)
Although SMB3 came out in this year, i was LTTP as my uncle just introduced me to videogames by letting me use his Famicom. After I played SMB1 for the first time, I begged my parents every day until they got me one as well.

10: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (GB)

I snagged an OG Game Boy for doing well in school, and was heavy into handheld gaming at the time (still am) , and Link's Awakening absolutely floored me with how good it was. It was also my first Zelda game, good memories.

15: Metal Gear Solid (PS1)

This was after Playstation exploded, and basically converted me and my entire circle of friends from Nintendo fans over to Team Sony. That memory card reading! That OST! Still my favorite Metal Gear, all these years later.

20: Soul Calibur II (PS2)

I was in college by this time, and I remember playing SC2 incessantly whenever I had free time - between classes at a game room near the campus, after getting home, on weekends. Still bitter that Namco appears to be sitting on future releases, I need a new Soul Cali.

25: Tomb Raider Underworld (PS3)
Not the greatest game in the world, I know, but significant for me because it was the first trophy-enabled game I ever played. This marked the beginning of a nasty phase where I chased trophies non-stop, only weaning myself off the habit at the tail end of the PS3 generation.

30: Dragon's Crown (PSV)
Although I already had a PS4 at the time, my tastes in game purchases were leaning even more heavily towards Japanese gaming than it was previously, and Vita was the perfect system for this. Still my second-favorite Sony system after the legendary PS2.

jax

Banned
5 - Sonic 1/2/3/&K
10 - Final Fantasy 9
15 - Halo 1/2
20 - Starcraft 2 / Minecraft Alpha
25 - Overwatch

Qwark

I didn't have a gaming console till I was 7, so I'm gonna start with that.

7: Crash Bandicoot
10: Pokemon Blue
15: Dark Cloud 2
20: Rock Band 2
25: Super Smash Bros Wii U

5 - Crash Bandicoot and Ratchet and Clank
10 - LEGO Star Wars
15 - Halo 4
20 - Not there yet

These are just the games I was playing the most at those points in my life.

Top Bottom