• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

66th Primetime Emmy Nominations Announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karu

Just tired of BB getting a free ride because it's BB. The last season wasn't that good compared to many other shows. I hope that those who say "BB should win" have seen most of the other nominated shows.
I have seen all Best Drama nominees except Downtown Abbey and still think that show should win. Dropping some kind of conspiracy that everyone is for BB just for the lulz doesn't help anyone.

Just tired of BB getting a free ride because it's BB. The last season wasn't that good compared to many other shows. I hope that those who say "BB should win" have seen most of the other nominated shows.
Just because you say it doesn't mean it's true. I thought it was a perfectly executed final season with a flawless series finale that did exactly what it wanted to do from the beginning.

I have seen all Best Drama nominees except Downtown Abbey and still think that show should win. Dropping some kind of conspiracy that everyone is for BB just for the lulz doesn't help anyone.

Well second half surely deserves more than first half (which didn't deserve to win). It's just boring to see nominated and winning always the same few shows.

Blackhead

Redarse
Yay for Treme (the complaints are weird, not like they have a chance in hell, Emmy never rewards shows like this).
Sad for Orphan Black :/

Aβydoς;120387382 said:
Out of all the nominees the one I liked the most was House of Cards anyway (with Mad Men as runner-up and probably the actually superior one).
Haven't watched Downton Abbey because for some reason I have a strong prejudice against that show.
True Detective was extremely good but doesn't belong there.
Game Of Thrones is season 3 right? That season with only a good twist near the end and nothing else? K.
Breaking Bad is Breaking Bad, a great show with a nice but unbalanced ending.

Anyway, the distribution is messy as shit. True Detective is a series and Treme is a miniseries (I get all the "only 5 episodes" stuff but come on). At least maybe it'll finally win what it deserves (oh yes, Treme was last year's secret gem. No wait the last few years' secret gem).
Orange Is The New Black a comedy? LOL why? Seems like the Emmy dudes weren't convinced it had the polish to be with the best dramas, so they put it in the (obviously) less important group.
Louie is the best "comedy" of the year anyway.

House of Cards is probably the worse one in that category, along with Downton. At least Downton just had a poor season; HoC is just overrated and mediocre.

And the reason why you get the category mix-up is because networks juke it by submitting shows to categories they think the series has a higher chance of winning in, i.e. Orange in the comedy category when the drama category is loaded already. True Detective was actually the reverse in that HBO wanted to challenge Breaking Bad.

The fact that Big Bang Theory continues to be nominated is a travesty of the highest order.

Also, I was hoping Bellamy Young would get nominated for best supporting actress in drama for Mellie.

Chill out, he's playing a one note character. Not exactly the best way to show his acting range.

I'd agree if this we were talking about the drama categories, but this is comedy. Depth and range don't necessarily matter for a great comedic performance. Jason Alexander, David Hyde Pierce, and Will Arnett are just three examples of so-called "one note" actors that deserved recognition for their comedic work.

My point is that Parks and Recreation is commonly regarded as one of the best sitcoms on TV and has only once been nominated for best comedy. Amy Poehler gets nominated each year, but never wins for some reason. And Offerman never even gets nominated. Something doesn't add up here. In the last few years, Parks and Rec has been passed up in favor of decent, but highly inferior shows like Glee, The Big Bang Theory, and Girls. Offerman can't get a nomination, yet for some reason they nominate the whole damn cast of Modern Family every time.

It seems like there is some sort of agenda here. Perhaps someone doesn't like the idea of a satirical show about local government, even though P&R is equal parts mocking and loving. It shows a wide range of civil servants, from incompetent to highly effective. So why all of the snubs every year?

House of Cards is probably the worse one in that category, along with Downton. At least Downton just had a poor season; HoC is just overrated and mediocre.

And the reason why you get the category mix-up is because networks juke it by submitting shows to categories they think the series has a higher chance of winning in, i.e. Orange in the comedy category when the drama category is loaded already. True Detective was actually the reverse in that HBO wanted to challenge Breaking Bad.

Umh why overrated? Everybody hates it.

Revolver

I don't watch Downton Abbey but my wife does and she said the last season was easily the worst it's ever been. I've never seen an episode of House of Lies or Nurse Jackie either but the Emmys seem to rubberstamp nominations for Cheadle and Falco every year. Jeff Daniels is another one that seems to get a free pass. I would've liked to have seen Aden Young or Emmy Rossum get some noms just to shake things up this year.

Gobias

Banned
thankfully for true detective Breaking Bad was very inconsistent in its last 8 episodes.
seriously those of you rooting for breaking bad, did you actually watch it or is it just the hype talking?

Yes, did you actually watch TD? Because I could say the same exact thing about it having too much hype and being inconsistent. A lot of the episodes on the show were just forgettable. The show marketed itself as being something different, but the show was a standard serial killer show with no real surprises. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, because it's not, but it was not always perfectly executed. The cinematography, tone, and acting were all superb, but that does not change the fact that the character of Rust would become annoying to listen to with his many hammy lines of dialogue. I'm not saying the show was bad, because it wasn't, but it didn't really deliver what it could of. With that said, I'm still really looking forward to next season.

Aβydoς;120389647 said:
Umh why overrated? Everybody hates it.

/r/television would disagree with that. It's pretty much a circlejerk for the same handful of shows: House of Cards, Breaking Bad, True Detective, Game of Thrones, etc.

Macmanus

Did Adam Driver win anything for the first season of Girls?

He won a bug fat check signed by Micky Mouse.

Adam Driver is dope.

Yes, did you actually watch TD?

In a dozen sentences and a thousand commas, your only critique of True Detective is that Rust would be annoying to hang out with? You can't call TD a standard serial killer drama when the focus isn't on serial killing or the serial killers. The focus wasn't even on solving the case.

/r/television would disagree with that. It's pretty much a circlejerk for the same handful of shows: House of Cards, Breaking Bad, True Detective, Game of Thrones, etc.

Well they're all pretty great shows (sans GoT), there's worse.
I agree that there are superior shows though, but not that many. HoC is extremely enjoyable, it's GoT but much better than GoT.

Ohoh I just remembered another show the Emmy hate because Emmy gotta Emmy: Boardwalk Empire. Season 4 was absolutely outstanding. Lol.

Ashok

Banned
I watched every episode of GOT, True Detective, House Of Cards, and Breaking Bad (I don't watch Mad Men or Downton Abbey). For me, Rian Johnson, Michelle Maxwell MacLaren, and Vince Gilligan delivered the best material of 2013. Breaking Bad S5B was my favorite season of Breaking Bad, and one of my favorite seasons of any TV show to date.

Spinluck

Has Louie won an Emmy yet?

I know Parks & Recs has (no way it wins based off this past season), so I'm hoping Louie snags it.

I watched every episode of GOT, True Detective, House Of Cards, and Breaking Bad (I don't watch Mad Men or Downton Abbey). For me, Rian Johnson, Michelle Maxwell MacLaren, and Vince Gilligan delivered the best material of 2013. Breaking Bad S5B was my favorite season of Breaking Bad, and one of my favorite seasons of any TV show to date.
Idk about Downtown Abbey, but you should give Mad Men a try. It's excellent and probably one of the deepest shows ever. The quality did drop a little two seasons ago, but I think the first half of Season 7 was brilliant.

Gobias

Banned
In a dozen sentences and a thousand commas, your only critique of True Detective is that Rust would be annoying to hang out with? You can't call TD a standard serial killer drama when the focus isn't on serial killing or the serial killers. The focus wasn't even on solving the case.

I love character focused stories too, but it just wasn't always done well. Great acting does not always break characters free from the standard cliches that they are. The movie Memories of Murder is a much better example of a serial killer story focused on the detectives.

Idk about Downtown Abbey, but you should give Mad Men a try. It's excellent and probably one of the deepest shows ever. The quality did drop a little to seasons ago, but I think the first half of Season 7 was brilliant.

I disagree about the drop. I think those were some fantastic episodes in seasons 5 and 6, and both of these seasons represent different things for each of the characters' developments. There's no reason to not enjoy these seasons if you enjoyed the first four; nothing earth-shattering happens, but as always, everything with Mad Men is in the subtext and these two seasons remain as brilliant as the first in moving these characters forward.

Aβydoς;120392761 said:
Oh God also The Good Wife.
Damn I need to get out of this topic. It brings me pain.

:'(

Lyn

Banned
It really sucks Tatiana Maslany was snubbed once again. Whether she would win or not I don't know, as I haven't seen all the competition in that category, but she certainly deserved at least a nomination for Orphan Black no doubt.

Lothar

Banned
I thought people loved House of Cards. What happened? I only watched the pilot to try it out and found it dull but I thought I was in the minority.

I thought people loved House of Cards. What happened? I only watched the pilot to try it out and found it dull but I thought I was in the minority.

To be honest I had to wait till 1x05 before it got me hooked.
As far as I can remember S1 was mostly loved by everyone, while S2 was the opposite. I have no idea why since they're basically the same thing. Probably it's because people realized only in S2 that it's not a political show, again, it's GoT in a realistic environment with absolutely unrealistic storylines and a couple of over-the-top characters. That's why it's awesome.
Also Underwood is the most interesting lead of the year with Rust Cohle and Don Draper (he's always a God among characters).

T.O.P

Banned
Shameless has a shitload of talented actors, shame to see just a couple

Anyway, rooting for True Detective / Breaking Bad

and the goddess

tumblr_muocmvYQvJ1qa4cp2o1_400.gif

also, totally forgot to watch The Normal Heart

Helmholtz

Lack of Hannibal is pretty silly, but it wouldn't win anything anyway. House of Cards S2 was pretty trash compared to Hannibal.
Other than that the nominations seem OK. It's very strange to me that Fargo is in the miniseries category while True Detective isn't.
Interested to see who wins lead in a drama. I'd imagine it'd be Cranston but you never know.

Shameless has a shitload of talented actors, shame to see just a couple

Just seeing S4 right now, H. Macy and Rossum are absolutely great.
Also, it's basically the only Showtime show that reached four years without turning to total shit, that's very impressive.

Ashok

Banned
and the goddess

tumblr_muocmvYQvJ1qa4cp2o1_400.gif

also, totally forgot to watch The Normal Heart
I don't care what anyone says, I think Jessica Lange is fantastic even if AHS is cool to hate. I actually didn't like Coven but I'm really looking forward to seeing JL in Freak Show. If Ryan Murphy can tighten up S4 a bit, I think it could have some potential.

I don't care what anyone says, I think Jessica Lange is fantastic even if AHS is cool to hate. I actually didn't like Coven but I'm really looking forward to seeing JL in Freak Show. If Ryan Murphy can tighten up S4 a bit, I think it could have some potential.

Well Lange was great yes, even if Coven turned to shit pretty fast. The whole cast was pretty good to be honest, like the direction. The problem was merely of screenplay, the story was just badly written.

Macmanus

I love character focused stories too, but it just wasn't always done well. Great acting does not always break characters free from the standard cliches that they are. The movie Memories of Murder is a much better example of a serial killer story focused on the detectives.

Your opinions are welcome, but you're not really offering up any actual critique - just making matter of fact claims. Also the fact that you seem to still think TD was about a "serial killer story" makes me wonder if you kind of missed the crux of the theme.

Edit: Also comparing this series with a Joon-ho Bong film because they both involve a serial killer is borderline nonsensical. That's like saying Snowpiercer was a better thing than The Wire because it featured a more enjoyable socio-economic critique. Or something just as silly.

I'm pretty unhappy that Hitting The Fan won't be winning every award. TGW was robbed; this season was fantastic and only made better by coming at a point in a show's life where things are usually getting stale.

More meaningless award show validation still would have been attention the show could use; being a CBS legal drama means people don't take its legit goodness seriously enough.

Pretty much how I feel. I know it wouldn't have won for outstanding drama, but what the hell, I feel like the only person who realizes how good this show is sometimes. That would have hopefully gotten it the attention it deserves. It's every bit as good as people think Breaking Bad, True Detective, Game of Thrones, and House of Cards are.
I'm a little late, and sorry for interrupting the riveting BB discussion, but I couldn't agree with you guys more. It's under a lot of people's radars for all the wrong reasons.

Hell I'll even admit that when my friend suggested the show and I heard the name of it and then that it was a legal drama.... I cringed and put off watching it for the longest time.

But yeah, this show needs as much exposure that it can get. Really deserves much higher ratings.

ivysaur12

Banned
I'm a little late, and sorry for interrupting the riveting BB discussion, but I couldn't agree with you guys more. It's under a lot of people's radars for all the wrong reasons.

Hell I'll even admit that when my friend suggested the show and I heard the name of it and then that it was a legal drama.... I cringed and put off watching it for the longest time.

But yeah, this show needs as much exposure that it can get. Really deserves much higher ratings.

We'll get at least 134 episodes of The Good Wife. I'd take over any award.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I say BB or Cranston shouldn't win this year, if only to acknowledge how ridiculous it is that AMC is splitting its final seasons in two. Can't wait till other big shows do this to milk things dry, let the final season part two shenanigans commence.

Revolver

Yeah it's a good show. I put off watching it for a long time too. I think the show has an image problem. The name made me think of a Lifetime movie and the fact it's a serial legal drama on CBS doesn't help matters.

Meier

Lack of Hannibal is terribly off-putting for me. At least it should get some technical nominations. But Hugh and Mads not being there.. just ain't right. It's the best show on TV.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine only getting 1 nomination is similarly absurd. I actually do watch BBT but it's not in its class. Biyalik has no right getting a nomination over the B99 ladies. Joe La Truglio being overlooked? Madness. Terry Crews? Madness.

rekameohs

Banned
I say BB or Cranston shouldn't win this year, if only to acknowledge how ridiculous it is that AMC is splitting its final seasons in two. Can't wait till other big shows do this to milk things dry, let the final season part two shenanigans commence.
Not the show's fault that the network is shitty.

ultron87

I enjoy the continued gamesmanship of what is a miniseries and what is a series. American Horror Story is still a miniseries and Fargo is a miniseries, but True Detective feels confident enough to go up against the big boys as a full series.

ivysaur12

Banned
On Miniseries v. Series complications:

http://www.vulture.com/2014/07/emmys-true-detective-fargo-category-explainer.html?mid=twitter_vulture

Here’s how the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences defines a miniseries:
A miniseries is based on a single theme or story line, which is resolved within the piece. In a single awards year, all of the parts must be presented under the same title and have continuity of production supervision. A miniseries consists of two or more episodes with a total running time of at least four broadcast hours (at least 150 program minutes).

That’s pretty straightforward, and applies to both True Detective and Fargo. However, there is a caveat! The ruling on Emmy eligibility goes:

A limited-run series with a "created by" credit CANNOT enter as a miniseries unless the producer for the limited run series applies for and receives entitlement to dual qualification, i.e. qualification in more than one category, because of an affirmative determination by the Awards Committee that the limited run series has elements of both drama series and miniseries categories.

So, because True Detective executive producer Nic Pizzolatto has a “created by” credit — a classification the Writers Guild of America gives to the creators of a regular series — True Detective is eligible only for the Emmys’ drama series category by default. In fact, Pizzolatto would have had to petition ATAS’s awards committee to move out of the drama race and into the miniseries category. That’s what American Horror Story co-creator Ryan Murphy had to do for American Horror Story, which was revealed to be a closed anthology series after the first season’s story concluded. As for Fargo, the credit executive producer Noah Hawley received reads “created for television by” — and because that’s not the exact same thing as “created by,” the show was free to submit into the miniseries category without fuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom