• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8+ Hour Long Killer Instinct Season 3 Stream, showcasing competitive matches

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Shadow Lords worries me... Gargos and Eyedol better be legit playable characters.

Noone on the team seems to have any love for Eyedol. Don't get your hopes up for him. They'd probably sooner make a new character, or give an accessory set to Aganos or Tusk.

Gargos, however, will surely be the playable boss of this season. KI hasn't had any non-playable characters yet.

Warxard

Banned
4c1.png

CHARACTER LEAKS TIME?

Zeta Oni

Chill, RAAM ?

It's not like he fits in perfectly with the cast of KI.

Except he does, and that's wonderful, and I hope he's a grappler.

Who's this Mira though?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I doubt they'll lock modes behind the Ultra Edition.

Depends on how you look at it. The bonus to the Ultra edition was always a 2nd game up to this point. A mode that takes as many resources as a full game could be a nice bonus, and could be why such a resource-intensive thing would be greenlit in the first place.

Or the normal edition could come with the basics, and the Premium could come with an expansion (such as a larger active party, or higher tier secondary items.)

Of course, Ultra could just include early access and a wider range of costumes, and these things could just be base features, with no extra incentive to them. Guess we'll see!

With the situation of Lionhead and Press Play, I'm a lot less fussed about KI's marketing or money-making plans, and just happy they can survive. I'd much rather face a minor inconvenience as a situation, and get new seasons, than have the game in indefinite hibernation like so many other MS properties are now...

I would be really disappointed with three guest characters. Really seems like a cheap attempt to build up sales by having fans of other franchises buy the characters. I have no doubt that IG will make the characters fun...but I would rather have new Killer Instinct characters and not guest characters. Especially since characters like Hisako, Kan-Ra, and Aganos are amazing.

:/

and lol @ people on the KI forums saying this might no be a real leak.

vg260

Well, Adam Isgreen did say in that audio interview they wanted to come out swinging this season with a more impressive package at launch in terms of features, and what we've seen so far is the norm. This certainly looks like the big new addition.

Really curious if this will be like the MKX faction war thing or a more dedicated single player world-tour-like mode. I'm really hoping whatever it is gets people creating and using their shadows more. It's a way under-utilized feature/mode by players currently.

Not sure how I feel about this leaking and other info, if it hurts some kind of big reveals. Somebody's got to be breaking an NDA too. Hm.

vg260

RAAM makes me question the legitimacy here, hadn't we already heard that there would only be 2 guest characters?

I don't recall them ever giving a hard number, only that there wouldn't be a more comical character than Rash.

Both Raam and Arbiter are great fits for the game, so no complaints if true.

I just hope they left room for the vampire character.

The Flash

Banned
Not sure how I feel about this leaking and other info, if it hurts some kind of big reveals. Somebody's got to be breaking an NDA too. Hm.

Yeah leaks are always double edged sword for me. Info for this game has been so sparse though so I'm kinda okay with it.

RAAM makes me question the legitimacy here, hadn't we already heard that there would only be 2 guest characters?

Well it depends on how old the build is. Mira and RAAM might just be placeholders while the team was still deciding on a final roster.

Or there's evidence that the characters exist?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Was it not said before that there would only be two guest?

I have no love for RAAM at all, his boss fight wasn't even good. But it'd be good for people who like him. The only way I"d find RAAM interesting is if each of his Retro costumes were a different COG member, heh. Not like Gears characters have very unique body types.

Mira could be very interesting, but I thought she was de-confirmed as the person who was a sibling?

There's no Vampire on that list... OR IS THERE? *dun dun dunnnn*.

Zeta Oni

Mira is the twin sister to Maya.

Edit: I'd be disappointed if the RAAAM thing is true. I always suspected Mira as a bonus character if true.

Mira is Maya's sister.

Ahh, thanks.

Thought it was a misspelling of Myrrah and that we were gonna end up with two gears characters, which would have been overkill.

Not understanding the displeasure for the guest characters though. It's been pretty clear since KI's launch that it doesn't exactly have a world class budget, so guest characters make perfect sense.

1. You don't have to take as much time creating from scratch, which is alot of work from what I've learned from labzeros work on Skullgirls.

2. Marketing. For example, killer instinct was on the front page of R/halo the day arbiter was shown off, and I'm sure quite a few people with no interest in the game now are watching, which imo is only a positive thing for a fighting game community.

3. Allows the devs to work on stuff I would guess is more important, the team at IG isn't exactly huge and so far we have reworked lighting on all stages, new moves and balance changes for all characters, new UI, and what looks like a completely new mode. This goes with 1 kinda, though.

Third guest character ain't even a Phantom Dust character

I'm legit shook at this leak
Missed opportunity if it's true. Phantom Dust is the perfect well to draw from for great characters if they were to do a 3rd guest character. Maya already has a costume that's specifically a call out to it as well so IG very obviously knows about PD.

Ahh, thanks.

Thought it was a misspelling of Myrrah and that we were gonna end up with two gears characters, which would have been overkill.

Not understanding the displeasure for the guest characters though. It's been pretty clear since KI's launch that it doesn't exactly have a world class budget, so guest characters make perfect sense.

1. You don't have to take as much time creating from scratch, which is alot of work from what I've learned from labzeros work on Skullgirls.

2. Marketing. For example, killer instinct was on the front page of R/halo the day arbiter was shown off, and I'm sure quite a few people with no interest in the game now are watching, which imo is only a positive thing for a fighting game community.

3. Allows the devs to work on stuff I would guess is more important, the team at IG isn't exactly huge and so far we have reworked lighting on all stages, new moves and balance changes for all characters, new UI, and what looks like a completely new mode. This goes with 1 kinda, though.

We're lucky we get the support we do with KI. IG has made miracles happen with their insane deadlines and a low budget. They really are insanely talented and don't get the recognition they deserve IMO

DedValve

Banned
Raam has so much possibilities. His big ass shield, his big ass hand, his big ass sword, his big ass kryll army that he controls.

The kyrll has to play a big role. Maybe as both his offense and defense. If they REALLY want to go all out there given that KI now has a new lighting system make the Kryll react to lights.

I love the animation on Rash but tbh I'm not feeling S3 as much as 2. I've not watched every in-depth video on the new guys but what I've seen seems fairly basic. RAAM I feel would very likely be the same and someone's sister has a chance to share characteristics. The reveals for S2 characters were very exciting because everyone had crazy techniques, not just in comparison to S1 but to all fighters. S3's roster seems a step backward.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Mira sounds vampireish...

She'd cover so many interesting character spots that way!

People think it "cheapens" the brand. I think it's kinda silly. Games are fun first and foremost. And in a world where NOT making your target audiences and sales margin just doesn't mean "1 less character", but often "no more updates at all", I'll take that very minor "cheapening" for continued life.

Even if I think RAAM is a horrible, non-interesting character. ;)

Third guest character ain't even a Phantom Dust character

I'm legit shook at this leak

This would be so much better. Or even the jerky guy from Scalebound. 2 Shooter characters sounds like a bit too much, but I guess he'd be MORE about shooting than Arbiter.

That's the part I'm not buying. They've been hyping up Gargos since Omen came out.

Maybe He's Onslaught Tier? Or the Boss Mecha from Arcana Heart?

vg260

Missed opportunity if it's true. Phantom Dust is the perfect well to draw from for great characters if they were to do a 3rd guest character. Maya already has a costume that's specifically a call out to it as well so IG very obviously knows about PD.

I have to disagree. It's way too obscure of a game compared to any of the others. Rash, a Halo character and a Gears character are much better choices in terms of popularity and recognition. I don't think most people would be able to tell you what game a Phantom Dust character was from if you showed them a picture.

Top Bottom