• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

90's Nostalgia Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

threenote

Banned
XXJiG3IKpwn76mg.jpg

HylianTom

Banned
This one wrecked my grades for one semester of college..
ZeldaOoTbox.png

I was a freshman at Ole Miss for this campaign night. The rednecks in my dorm were sooooo pissed. :lol
ElectoralCollege1996-Large.png

Got to watch this in a bar in Memphis. A huge cultural moment.
Ellengay.jpg

And the only time I've shed tears over a celebrity death..
phil-hartman-sized.jpg

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
And of course, all music, tv shows, movies and fads fall short when it comes to my ultimate source of 90's nostalgia:

9a0dxy.jpg

Nothing else comes close to this.

edit - DAMMIT TOM!

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Snuggler said:
And of course, all music, tv shows, movies and fads fall short when it comes to my ultimate source of 90's nostalgia:

9a0dxy.jpg

edit - DAMMIT TOM!
This has spun me into a bit of depression. I've been starting to feel a bit old lately and that certainly didn't help. It seems like I was just playing that last Thanksgiving while sitting in my old house smelling the turkey feast my mom was preparing. Turns out that was 12 years ago. I'll be 28 next week, my long distance eyesight is turning to shit and I'm now older than probably 50% of all professional athletes. I need to play this game again to remind me of simpler times.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
MyFaceIsOnFire said:
This has spun me into a bit of depression. I've been starting to feel a bit old lately and that certainly didn't help. It seems like I was just playing that last Thanksgiving while sitting in my old house smelling the turkey feast my mom was preparing. Turns out that was 12 years ago. I'll be 28 next week, my long distance eyesight is turning to shit and I'm now older than probably 50% of all professional athletes. I need to play this game again to remind me of simpler times.

Heh, I get it. I'm only 23 but I still get similar feelings these days.

You should seriously play it though, it's quite the nostalgia trip and it holds up well. I've been playing it recently thanks to Wii virtual console and it's been a very powerful experience for me, not just because the game is great but because of all the memories I have tied to it from what seems so long ago. It reminds me of the days when I had nothing to worry about aside from tracking down gold skulatullas

The soundtrack just flat out fuckin slays me with nostalgia, just listen to THIS and try not to feel it. Or THIS. Jesus.
And this is the one that gets me even more than the others.

N4Us

MCX said:

All the kids at one of my elementary schools were obsessed with Goosebumps. They held Goosebumps clubs, there were some kids reading the books during recess, it was huge. When the TV show (movie?) first aired all everyone blabbed about the next day was that fuckin show.

I wasn't allowed to read the books so I never looked at any of them, until I was 13 or 14 and one of my teachers was throwing out a bunch of books so I grabbed some Goosebumps ones just to see what I missed. Good god were they awful, guess it was a "you had to be there" type of thing.

Anyways, if I had to use one image to sum up the 90's:

2uz9rtc.jpg

Tabz

Snuggler said:

9a0dxy.jpg

edit - DAMMIT TOM!
And those

mgs1.jpg

Ffviibox.jpg

Gran_Turismo_-_Cover_-_North_America.jpg

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I remember watching a lot of early morning cartoons on Fox. Animaniacs, the Space Goofs, Spider Man, Casper, the Tick, Sam and Max and all the others I can't remember. My parents didn't let us watch Goosebumps since it wasn't christian or whatever.

Anth0ny

So... everything's been posted already. Pokemon Red/Blue, Power Rangers, Simpsons...

But for us Canadian kids, the ultimate nostalgia:

ytv.jpg

"Up next, we got Pokemon. Then, Dragon Ball Z!"

; _____ ;

Nintendo could not be beat. Getting up Saturday to ride my bike down to video store was the highlight of my week. Final Fantasy, Mortal Kombat, ChronoTrigger, Secret of Mana, Zelda. Nintendo was dominating.

346b1xe.jpg

Nickelodeon had incredible programming. Salute Your Shorts, Clarissa Explaints It All, Double Dare, Pete and Pete, Are You Afraid of the Dark, Alex Mack. Then you had the Nick and Disney cartoons of Rescue Rangers, Tail Spin, Darkwing Duck and Tiny Tunes, Ren and Stimpy, Animaniacs, etc.

15zmt5u.png

Zeke

24ay7nd.jpg

I'm guilty of this one myself I had a ton of tommy shirts and a few jeans but only cause my mom would get mad discounts and she would buy stuff on sale then use her discount to get it even cheaper.

man some of you had designer clothes? Try buying clothes for 3 kids on a first lieutenants salary. Most of my clothes were hand me downs

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Teh Hamburglar said:
man some of you had designer clothes? Try buying clothes for 3 kids on a first lieutenants salary. Most of my clothes were hand me downs

Yep, I wore hand me downs from relatives and my bros and shabby shit from the goodwill. Growing up poor ain't easy. I wore a lot of sweats.

geeko420 said:
Gargoyles

I almost forgot about that one, another awesome 90's cartoon.
Oh yeah and the Lion King was the single best thing to come out of the 90's, even better than Jeff Buckley and Ocarina of Time, my 2 favorite things.

kevm3

90s was easily the best decade for me.

Boxing was at its prime with names like David Tua, Lennox Lewis, Mike Tyson, Evander Holyfield, Roy Jones Jr., Pernell Whittaker, Angel Manfredy, Oscar De La Hoya, etc.

You had games like Zelda 64, Final Fantasy 6, 7, Xenogears, Super Mario 64, etc.

Kid's programming was way better

RnB and Rap music was way better with Biggie, 2pac, Nas, NWA hitting their Prime, Bone Thugs, etc. RnB had SWV, Boyz II Men, Blackstreet, Jodeci, etc. etc.

Black programming was way better with shows like Martin, Fresh Prince, Family Matter, Jamie Foxx Show

So many more of these I could have done... sooooooooooo many more. But it is really, REALLY late now and I have to go to work early tomorrow.

28bbam8.jpg

2s7uyr9.jpg

2m69ued.jpg

2niab0p.jpg

5ltklh.jpg

10mu3ac.jpg

2ntwykw.jpg

2iiz77d.jpg

x43osj.jpg

2qtbosn.jpg

av3c0p.jpg

ResidentDante said:
:lol
I remember my dad telling me about seeing the 1969 moon landing on tv, then he told about this and just lol'd :lol

My dad would tell me that the lunar module that landed on the moon had less computing power than my Nintendo. I was like "WTF Dad?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom