• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

90's Nostalgia Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

iidesuyo

Combichristoffersen said:
I had a 486 DX/2 66 MHz PC back in the day :lol I still have some old DOS games lying around, although the only ones that come to mind are Myst and Realms of the Haunting.

I still have a Pentium II with 64MB RAM in the basement, and I won't give it away :)

Perfect for DOS gaming!

Blutonium

246157.jpg

cowChicken.jpg

wright01_johnnyBravo.gif

Telekids.jpg

20485.jpg

gabbers.gif

Any UK guys remember Knightmare? It was a weird challenge show set in a medieval fantasy world, 1 kid would have to put on a helmet so he couldn't see and then they'd super-impose him on a bunch of hand-drawn environments while 3 of his friends would watch on a monitor and had to guide him through the dungeon which was full of monsters, traps and evil or benevolent NPCs. Really unique concept that's stuck with me for years, the best thing was that the game was utterly merciless and few teams actually made it through. Here's Spoony's review if anyone's interested;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMqWizbXi6Q

Vorg

Banned
Combichristoffersen said:
That's still about a billion times better than the fourth album they made with the two original singers. Holy fuck did that album suck ass. I, for one, am actually looking forward to their new album.

I disagree. I liked some songs in that album like Beautiful Morning and Unspeakable.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
oh my god Trapper Keepers. I remember wandering around stores with my mom in late August looking for the perfect trapper keeper for the new school year.

-edit-
I just realized how fucking horrible the art on some of the trapper keepers was. :lol

Medalion

Banned
It's really telling of people's average age when they cite examples from either the early 90' or mid 90's, vs some people who choose things from the latest part of the 90's, like 1999.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Considering I started playing candlebox last night for the first time in years, this thread's timing is spot on.

yoopoo

Banned
90's WWF and the world of Warez was amazing. All these warez sites had a 'mp3' section....I had no idea what the hell mp3s were.

With the discovery of a cd ripper and winamp, my entertainment world changed.

Lijik

DisneyAdventures.jpg

I still have a bunch of these, worth it for the nostalgia of 90s advertising and the comics section which tended to be pretty good. There was this multi-issue Disney Afternoon crossover comic that was pretty awesome, and in the late 90s they ran the first set of Bone comics.

nes.jpg

I know this is from the 80s, but my friend across the street had one. Spent a lot of time playing SMB/Duck Hunt, DuckTales 2, Mega Man 2, and Super Mario Bros 2.

1002-1.jpg

This was THE fucking game when I was kid, every one I knew had the shareware demo but no one had the full game :lol To this day I still have the ins and outs of the first ep and the christmas versions memorized. Finding the demo for the sequel (which I had no idea was even coming) on snap.com was fucking mindblowing. The next day I acted out the intro cutscene with my brother to my friends, I was a fucking dork :lol

What_a_cartoon.jpg

I would kill for a DVD collection of these

lost_in_space_3.jpg

This was my favorite movie as a kid. I only saw it once, haven't seen it since but it was my favorite. I would check out the novels based on the movie at the library.

51J78EFQGJL.jpg

Ohhhh man this fucking book, this fucking book. I had this and the sequel the World Beneath. I don't remember what happened in it, but the illustrations were the best.
As a kid I consumed pretty much all dino-related media We're Back, Primal Rage, I saw the T-Rex skeleton at Fernbank. Everything except Jurassic Park. I don't know how it happened.

Anth0ny said:
So... everything's been posted already. Pokemon Red/Blue, Power Rangers, Simpsons...

But for us Canadian kids, the ultimate nostalgia:

ytv.jpg

"Up next, we got Pokemon. Then, Dragon Ball Z!"

; _____ ;

I use to watched these guys every day after school.

The video games, the toys and the cartoons... how I loved the cartoons. So many fond memories :p

GszZzwXIUKDFFAN.jpg

I loved this show

Batman The Animated Series
Batman_the_Animated_Series_logo.jpg

Still one of my favorite animated shows ever. It holds up pretty well today thanks the quality animation.

Darkwing Duck
darkwing_duck.jpg

reboot_ca-show.jpg

Anth0ny said:
But for us Canadian kids, the ultimate nostalgia:

ytv.jpg
I came into this thread thinking of that. (Ya, I was technically a teen watching that stuff, but fuck social norms.)

One thing I must say from observing these threads... the gulf between Early-'90s and Late-'90s nostalgia is fucking HUGE.

iidesuyo

lunarworks said:
One thing I must say from observing these threads... the gulf between Early-'90s and Late-'90s nostalgia is fucking HUGE.

Yeah I think the difference was bigger than in the 80s and 00s, probably because of the rise of the Internet, computer animation and 2D -> 3D transition in games.

iidesuyo said:
Yeah I think the difference was bigger than in the 80s and 00s, probably because of the rise of the Internet, computer animation and 2D -> 3D transition in games.
Not only that, but comics and cartoons went through sizable metamorphosis midway through the '90s, and the "alternative" culture kind of left the mainstream towards the end of the '90s too.

Jakeh111

Medalion said:
It's really telling of people's average age when they cite examples from either the early 90' or mid 90's, vs some people who choose things from the latest part of the 90's, like 1999.
:lol :lol

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
nostalgia for nineties hunts me less lately

sometimes you got to admit that world has changed. And you can change it too a bit, if you don't like it. Like bring some of 90s craze in it.

1270409902_natural-born-killers.jpg

the-prodigy.JPG

1-Full_Throttle_Cover.jpg

NirvanaSliverposter.JPG

1250484597_cover.jpg

Nine_Inch_Nails_The_Downward_Spiral-B0006FFRW0.jpg

Hackers1995DVDRip.jpeg

fallout3.jpg

Gak, razor scooters, skate shoes, alien workshop photosynthesis video, drinking beer in the woods while your friends get laid on the beach.

Stooo

Neo Member
Thought of a few more that were dear to me in the 90s...

My favourite car of the 90s, especially in yellow
opel_calibra_2304180_2_orig.jpg

The Cobain Fender Jagstang, such a tiny neck it was like a toy but sounded great
fender_jag_stang.jpg

Loved this show
news-19940902-lge.jpg

vitalogy2.jpg

disc-smash-2.jpg

B000026EV6.jpg

So excited when I bought an MD player when I was a music student
Minidisc_Sony_MZ1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom