• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A couple devs claim Switch patch sizes can be sometimes limited & other hurdles occur

How can you spin this into a good thing. The fact that the game did not come with working online does not mean it's good that they can't add it now to the people who actually bought it?????? That'll disencourage other devs of pursuing Switch ports if it's such a headache to update

G-Unit

...I'm not sure how the Switch intends to have service games if they don't allow large patches. Making huge changes over time that require giant patches is a normal part of those.

I'm guessing they just gave Rocket League carte blanche exceptions? Or is that losing cross-play when the next major content update comes out?

Errr delta update?

LOL.

Good luck playing the game when the servers are shut down.

Do you seriously envision a situation where Microsoft or Sony are going to shut down the system that provides game updates?

I left Nintendo out because they’re incompetent. So in this case maybe you’re right. Again, the issue then becomes who’s fault is it.

Tei

Neo Member
If you have paid for a videogame, you have the right to modify it. Not that it matter much in a console environment.

Is unfortunate that to stop warez console companies ban the owners of the console from toying from them.

Maybe the game developers can hack the brain of Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo? sell the patchs has "season". Release a new "season" every few months, sell it as some fluffly thing when is in reality a old good patch fixing stuff.

Executives seems to care about only about buzzwords, so spit a lot of buzzwords around: game has a service, player engagements, and so on.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
How can you spin this into a good thing. The fact that the game did not come with working online does not mean it's good that they can't add it now to the people who actually bought it?????? That'll disencourage other devs of pursuing Switch ports if it's such a headache to update

....i really doubt that.

anyone arguing for lower file sizes is a nintendo apologist? way to shitpost.

Anyone arguing it’s a good thing to not allow a patch to happen because of file sizes is a Nintendo apologist, yes. Because it’s anti consumer bull shit.

The correct tact is to vote with ones own wallet. If you’re so upset about day one patches, don’t buy a game with a big patch. That’s the customers power. Nintendo being typically out of date and restrictive is not something to celebrate.

patapuf

....i really doubt that.

It will discourage them from patching the games though.

When the 360 and the PS3 still had these restrictions this has been the case, often.

No one wins there. Especially when you see the other platforms getting that stuff much quicker.

fernoca

Back then, they said that online multiplayer would be added a few days after launch.

Two months later, turns out that said patch was too big.

In those two months, multiple games from first and third parties has received updates and DLC. Mario Kart, Minecraft, Blaster Master, Snake Pass, Disgaea, etc.

Doubt that developers are discouraged. If anything, they are and will be wary about sizes. Since this kind of stuff is known during development, not as a last minute surprise.

NimbusD

The fact that the system doesn't, for whatever reason allow the shrinking of game sizes, shows exactly why Nintendo is being stupid about patch sizes. Shit could get out of control real quick if Deva aren't allowed to consolidate things.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
It will discourage them from patching the games though.

When the 360 and the PS3 still had these restrictions this has been the case, often.

No one wins there. Especially when you see the other platforms getting that stuff much quicker.

All other devs seem to be able to patch their games in a timely fashion.....if more would speak about this you would have a point, but for this one it seems like the dev is trying to shift the blame to Nintendo because they didnt do their homework.

Lets hope they get it right with the next update since players have been pressuring them for weeks now lol.

SighFight

Honestly, I don't have a problem with their policy. Devs have been releasing these insanely sized patches for a long time now and they need to cut that down. If it means more manageable patch sizes, then I'm all for it.

Don't release broken games.,

I'm curious as to why they didn't just delay so they can ship a finished product.

This is ridiculous of Nintendo on a modern console, but at the same time, good on them for holding a developer/publisher's feet to the fire for releasing an unfinished game. Even if they are doing it in a very Nintendo-like way...

I think that this policy should also be more taken on by Microsoft and Sony. Because the amount of buggy games as well as the frequent huge patches are annoying.

I have lost quite some gaming nights due to the ps4 not updating in sleep mode and then when I want to play I have to download 25gb before playing...

In the current market I think this will hurt Nintendo because there are to many other places for games to be on. Nonetheless I support their stand!

Chauzu

The hard thing about questions like this is you can spin it either way and neither are necessarily true.

I think it's telling that the devs having issues are NBA Playgrounds and Mr. Shifty, two of the few indie games I haven't bought, and mainly due to the realization that their initial work was pure lazywork. They both shipped games that shouldn't have been shipped.

What then is the big issue, you tell me. All I can say is that the games I have bought have got regular patches, where content is added. So we know it can be done. NBA Playground devs themselves claim they can make the game smaller, so for me it's hard to say if Nintendo punishes patches here or punishes shipping an incomplete product.

We have an issue if devs feel they don't want to bring a game over because they can't do normal updates, but we don't have evidence for that yet. We're dealing with two indie games who shipped an unfinished and unoptimized product.

Shiggy

All other devs seem to be able to patch their games in a timely fashion.....if more would speak about this you would have a point, but for this one it seems like the dev is trying to shift the blame to Nintendo because they didnt do their homework.

Lets hope they get it right with the next update since players have been pressuring them for weeks now lol.

The developer making up a patch size limit to shift blame? Something that could easily be shown to be a lie if it was, and something which another developer also said was true?

200_s2tu7x.gif

This is a side effect of Nintendo releasing the console with 32GB of storage. That said, this is one hell of a nice side effect.

I own a PC, an Xbox One and a PS4 Pro - it's nice to own at least one platform that won't have me downloading 11GB patches.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Dev can't talk policy so says like 5% of the full picture while also painting it in a way to shift all responsibility and then sits back as communities rip themselves apart because no one really knows the facts.

When people say 'well if this is the case how will cross-play work in the future' clearly shows we're missing a huge chunk of information.

Bluth54

Errr delta update?

Delta updates don't really help when you run a game as a service and have multiple new characters/stages/maps/music/voice acting added to the game.

I imagine Splatoon 2 and ARMS will both end up with several Gigabyte worth of patches depending on how much extra content they ship with the game.

When the inevitable Smash comes out and has DLC it could be several Gigabytes between the characters, music and stages they add.

Who knows, maybe Mario Odyssey will get a few worlds as DLC that require a ton of new assets.

The patches on Nintendo games alone are going to take up a lot of the built in Switch storage.

Nev

Banned
Remember when people were saying it'd be 'the perfect fit' for Overwatch? Lmao good luck with that.

BizzyBum

I understand why Nintendo is trying to limit large patches but again this is just another thing in a laundry list where Nintendo is just outdated. Frequent patches, bug fixes, and DLC are just the norm in today's gaming world. It's a real bad look for Nintendo and the Switch to cause such headaches for devs that want to patch and continue support for their Switch titles.

I love my Switch and already have a ton of games for it but it's definitely alarming to see this happening. Hopefully Nintendo eases up on this policy.

Koren

Do you seriously envision a situation where Microsoft or Sony are going to shut down the system that provides game updates?
Yes... I mean, isn't that already partly the case for PSP?

And honestly, I couldn't say I'm sure that every console maker will still be in business in 2040...

A large day one patch once fell on my toddler and badly bruised his arm....I for one am glad that at least Nintendo are thinking of the children and protecting them from these dangerous beasts!

In all seriousness , if game sizes can only go up (which isn't exactly what the Dev said) then they probably have to ban most patches until they can put that functionality in. Otherwise one game will swallow the whole drive.

Which is crappy. IMHO the switch is great, but you have to treat it as a "Zelda plus one other game you really like" handheld. It just doesn't have the functionality to pretend to be a home console.

CLEEK

Except it’s not broken at any point if it’s a day one patch.

If a game I’m looking forward to has the option of being delayed a month, or me having to download a patch for 20 minutes on release day, guess which I pick? Hint; I’m not a Nintendo apologist trying to turn their flaws into a strength.

Not everyone has fast internet, and a sizeable percentage suffer from capped downloads. Having to download a big chuck of the game a second time as a day one patch is bullshit if it means you have to wait ages or it chews through your data cap.

spelen

I'm guessing Nintendo is trying to discourage large patches if possible because the thing has very little internal storage

Chauzu

Didn't Snake Pass just have a pretty significant patch released?

Yeah, and Fast RMX had a patch adding Time Trial. VOEZ had a patch adding a lot of new songs. All of these also got promoted by Nintendo, Snake Pass even got a new trailer for a feature that wasn't new, just missing on the Switch.

They can add this, but add such minor thing with such a unnecessary enormous big patch. Thats just very bad development practices. They should learn how to code better.

Big patches for big updates had been released for several games on Switch. But the developers of this game are just unprofessional.

Not everyone has fast internet, and a sizeable percentage suffer from capped downloads. Having to download a big chuck of the game a second time as a day one patch is bullshit if it means you have to wait ages or it chews through your data cap.

Sure. Blame your isp or blame the dev and don’t buy the game.

Nintendo should have zero input in the process.

ryushe

Yeah, and Fast RMX had a patch adding Time Trial. VOEZ had a patch adding a lot of new songs. All of these also got promoted by Nintendo, Snake Pass even got a new trailer for a feature that wasn't new, just missing on the Switch.
So what's the issue with this game then? Maybe this is Nintendo just punishing them for releasing a unfinished product and thinking it's all good since they can fix it at a later date with patches which, honestly, is a trend I'm really not fond of.

Kinda OT but was Mr Shifty ever fixed via patches?

Shiggy

So what's the issue with this game then? Maybe this is Nintendo just punishing them for releasing a unfinished product and thinking it's all good since they can fix it at a later date with patches which, honestly, is a trend I'm really not fond of.

Some reasons can be found in the OP of this thread, including the file size of the patch (which has now been waived). Something else is still holding up the patch though.

guggnichso

Banned
Long story short, I don't believe those devs. The only people out there saying Nintendo is actively hindering their patch process are two shifty Indie devs that released broken (Shifty) and incomplete (Playgrounds). Both also did so intentionally.

And now they're both playing the blame game. "It's totes not our fault we can't fix our games, it's evil Nintendo!!11".

Yeah, sure buddy.

GeekyDad

Hard to be sympathetic, really. Finish your game, test it thoroughly before shipping it. You know, like they used to do?

I guess people with slow internet or bandwidth caps can get fucked. this isn't about not allowing patches, but about having reasonable file sizes. multiple gb day 1 patches are absurd and should be discouraged.
Big download only games (as the game in this thread is about) are also a nogo area for people with slow internet.

cuate

Banned
Big download only games (as the game in this thread is about) are also a nogo area for people with slow internet.

game downloads are far more palatable than patches that are almost as big as the game itself. but yes, some digital only games may be out of reach for some segments of the population due to very large sizes. for retail releases, large patch files are much harder to accept.

UberTag

I'm going to be cheesed if this impairs the bugs in Binding of Isaac from being properly patched down the road.
It shouldn't if it's simply a matter of file size restrictions... but with Nintendo, you just never know.

Remember when people were saying it'd be 'the perfect fit' for Overwatch? Lmao good luck with that.
yup

no live games will want to bother with this shit

patching should be easy, ridiculous patch requirements only punish the consumer and developer.

ggx2ac

...I'm not sure how the Switch intends to have service games if they don't allow large patches. Making huge changes over time that require giant patches is a normal part of those.

I'm guessing they just gave Rocket League carte blanche exceptions? Or is that losing cross-play when the next major content update comes out?

That's why part of this doesn't make sense when Splatoon 2 and ARMS will be games that will have constant content updates and patches for balancing.

Maybe things will change anyway if enough noise is made.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Everyone would like games to be perfect at d1, but you need to understand that games are becoming bigger and more complex, some bugs can be missed even by non-"lazy developers", that's one of the big reasons why patches are so widespread today, again i would like games to be perfect at d1 like everyone else, but this almost isn't possible anymore, in AAA games because of their complexity but also dlcs, events etc, in indie games because of their developers' lack of expeience and money.

gtj1092

Maybe the devs should ship their games with half the content call them complete then simply release the rest as "free DLC". That seems to go over well with fans.

jariw

* Fast RMX space requirements is around 15% of the unpatched NBA Playgrounds
* Snake Pass space requirements is around 50% of the unpatched NBA Playgrounds
* VOEZ space requirements is around 10% of the unpatched NBA Playgrounds

yup

no live games will want to bother with this shit

patching should be easy, ridiculous patch requirements only punish the consumer and developer.

And "you don't have enough storage to download this game, because the developer doesn't care about optimization" is not punishing customers? Currently, NBA Playgrounds doesn't have the content to justify for the big download size, IMO.

I'm going to be cheesed if this impairs the bugs in Binding of Isaac from being properly patched down the road.

Seems like Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ is just a small 610MB game. It's not in the same ballpark as the game discussed here.

Top Bottom