• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A look at David Braben's "Microsoft Zoo" (cancelled Xbox 360 title)

eso76

We stopped talking about it because we were derailing the thread.

Yep, just saw it. Sorry, I edited !

And while not the kind of game I'm generally interested in, cancelled games is always sad news and those who worked on it must have felt gutted.
Plus it was Braben's, and I love the guy, although I'd much rather have Elite 4 on x360/720

vio

Frontier Developments guys are very talented, but i am glad they are not making this. Elite Dangerous is all i want them to make right now.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Good thing MS doesn't cancel interesting projects to fuel low-grade Kinect casualware- oh wait.

The same company went on to use what I'm guessing is a lot of the same tech base to do Kinect Disneyland, which is actually quite well made and not low-grade at all. Given the number of hours it'd take to collect everything, I'm not sure it could even be called casual.

Zaptruder

Banned
Bunch of time wasted in the wilderness. I'm glad they've come back to roost. Elite Dangerous is looking stunning. Actually more excited for it than Star Citizen.

Shiggy

Good thing MS doesn't cancel interesting projects to fuel low-grade Kinect casualware- oh wait.

Well, Microsoft Zoo was a really early prototype apparently with the screenshots posted in this thread basically representing the entire area of the demo as well as visual mockups. The team at Frontier pitched this demo to Microsoft to reboot the (pretty much dead) Zoo Tycoon franchise.

Obviously, it would've made since as Frontier had worked on Rollercoaster Tycoon before. So creating a zoo, putting some animals here and there, and then walk through the zoo and interact with the animals, that sounds like an interesting concept.

As said before, this was during the introduction of Kinect. Were there any new 1st party titles kept alive that did not utilise Kinect? I remember several cancelled titles, such as My Amazing Story. But well, so Microsoft sent a Natal prototype to Frontier and Microsoft Zoo quickly evolved into a title focussing on pet interaction.

The Microsoft Zoo prototype just didn't get very far.

That actually looked cool :/
Not sure if it's good to post a direct link.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Aren't they working on a Durango Kinect launch title now? Or was that binned?

Top Bottom