• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.
tino said:
What kind of plot twist do you guys think GRRM has in store for the last 2/3 books? I don't mean the R+L kind you can see a mile away, I mean the Red Wedding, Joffre Wedding kind of major reversal of plot directions.

-For Arya's final task for full acceptance into the Faceless Men will ask her to return to Westeros and assassinate Sansa.

She will refuse at first, but eventually she will make the journey, and at the moment of the kill she will reveal herself, chat with her sister and appear to not be able to go thru with it, but will end up doing the deed and regretting it afterwards.

I figure she never liked Sansa anyway, the Faceless Men have been dogging her to put Arya of Winterfell behind her and to me Sansa seems to have no real importance to the bigger picture anymore so...

While not a super fan of dany's chapters before the final 2, I do believed they served a purpose of teaching what her role is/has to be in all this. The frustration of her story being stuck was felt and shared by the both of us and made those final 2 chapters so much sweeter that it was the highlight of the book for me.

It's my guess that she will roll into mareen with several khalesars in tow and raise shit to the ground. Then maybe fly east to myr, learn more about dragons, then head for westeros across that ocean.

TheVisualizer said:
-For Arya's final task for full acceptance into the Faceless Men will ask her to return to Westeros and assassinate Sansa.

She will refuse at first, but eventually she will make the journey, and at the moment of the kill she will reveal herself, chat with her sister and appear to not be able to go thru with it, but will end up doing the deed and regretting it afterwards.

I figure she never liked Sansa anyway, the Faceless Men have been dogging her to put Arya of Winterfell behind her and to me Sansa seems to have no real importance to the bigger picture anymore so...
Sansa has a role to play. Littlefinger seems to be shaping her into a cersei like player of the game of thrones and I will take a wild guess and say she eventually marries rheagar to unite the land.

Nymerio

I have a question concerning Varys and Illyrio: What was their original plan? They had Dany, Viserys and Aegon. Viserys was supposed to get Drogos Khalasar, right? What was Aegon's purpose? Varys said that he was trained to be a king, so they must have wanted him to get the throne in the first place and not Viserys/Dany. Was Viserys supposed to die during the conquest and make way for Aegon? Would they just have disposed of Dany in that case? Then again, Aegon would have been the rightful heir but I don't think Viserys would have liked that.

duckroll

Nymerio said:
I have a question concerning Varys and Illyrio: What was their original plan? They had Dany, Viserys and Aegon. Viserys was supposed to get Drogos Khalasar, right? What was Aegon's purpose? Varys said that he was trained to be a king, so they must have wanted him to get the throne in the first place and not Viserys/Dany. Was Viserys supposed to die during the conquest and make way for Aegon? Would they just have disposed of Dany in that case? Then again, Aegon would have been the rightful heir but I don't think Viserys would have liked that.

I believe as far as we know, the plan was to use Visery and Dany to gather an army for the invasion, while Aegon is kept secret while being educated and trained for rule. But considering how fluid all the events are, I doubt Varys and Illyrio had a specific concrete plan for the Targs. They basically helped them as much as they can, believing that they have it in themselves to overcome difficulties to return to Westeros eventually. The real work for the two of them is having the resources in place such that when the Targs do return, they can hand the Iron Throne to them as easily as possible.

Pkaz01

TheVisualizer said:

I don't think the FM would send her to kill Sansa just to prove loyalty. They don't work that way. If she ends up meeting Sansa against she would be sent to kill Alayne Stone or littlefinger because Varys payed the FM for it. Either way I don't see Sansa dying in this series but I would totally be down for Arya taking out littlefinger.

Pkaz01 said:
I don't think the FM would send her to kill Sansa just to prove loyalty. They don't work that way. If she ends up meeting Sansa against she would be sent to kill Alayne Stone or littlefinger because Varys payed the FM for it. Either way I don't see Sansa dying in this series but I would totally be down for Arya taking out littlefinger.

Faceless Men don't get sent to kill people they know personally, so that Sansa scenario doesn't make sense. Even if the faceless men don't know Alayne is Sansa, why would anyone pay a fortune to assassinate Littefinger's bastard?

Pkaz01

Basileus777 said:
Faceless Men don't get sent to kill people they know personally, so that Sansa scenario doesn't make sense. Even if the faceless men don't know Alayne is Sansa, why would anyone pay a fortune to assassinate Littefinger's bastard?
Yea good points. Thats why I find it more likely someone would just pay to take out Littlefinger. Even if Arya was to lie the faceless men are not dumb. But I don't think that secret is going to last long though, Varys will eventually get the info or put the clues together. Thats if he doesn't already know. Either way like a said before they'd just get rid of littlefinger cause she isn't really a threat to anyone.

What I find interesting is Illyrio/Varys' plan to have Aegon rule Westeros. What they are missing is someone to control the north. Do they really expect whoever is ruling the north at the time to just say oh whatever Aegon is on the throne now? He needs a stark to unite the north, and there is no way Varys doesn't know about fake Arya.

tino

Banned
Pkaz01 said:
Littlefinger should be killed by his own scheme, therefore he should be killed by Sansa.

If Arya is sent to assassinate anyone in Westeros, I'd think it would be her wolf, Nymeria.

Think about it - the wolf is what still keeps her tied to her old life. Killing it may be the only way to sever their connection and permanently stop Arya's dreams.

It would also be cool if she was given the task to kill all the remaining people on her 'hitlist' - maybe the Faceless Men know she'll never truly be able to leave her old life behind until she has taken her revenge.

Damn, now I've had the idea, I'll be disappointed if it doesn't happen. Would be so cool if Arya was back in Westeros using her new skillz to assassinate Cersei, Meryn Trant and the couple of others still out there. Makes a lot of sense (to me).

TheVisualizer said:

why the hell is everyone so obsessed with arya being forced to kill sansa and or jon? This makes no sense at all.

Pkaz01

angelkimne said:
If Arya is sent to assassinate anyone in Westeros, I'd think it would be her wolf, Nymeria.

Think about it - the wolf is what still keeps her tied to her old life. Killing it may be the only way to sever their connection and permanently stop Arya's dreams.

It would also be cool if she was given the task to kill all the remaining people on her 'hitlist' - maybe the Faceless Men know she'll never truly be able to leave her old life behind until she has taken her revenge.
That goes against everything we know about the faceless men.. for one she can't kill anyone she knows and at this point lying would be obvious, and second they wouldn't kill anyone who isn't picked by the many faced god or in other words payed for. Why would they send her to kill a wolf they don't even know about? Even if they knew about her warging she is at the point where she can do it with random animals and not just nymeria.

Sending her to kill anyone in Westeros might be a little out of it now that I think about it. Why would they send an 11 year old apprentice across the ocean back to her homeland when they can't even fully trust her yet. Cmon someone comes to pay for the death of Cersei Lannister you aren't sending an 11 year old and risking the destruction of the faceless man reputation.

Pkaz01 said:
That goes against everything we know about the faceless men.. for one she can't kill anyone she knows and at this point lying would be obvious, and second they wouldn't kill anyone who isn't picked by the many faced god or in other words payed for. Why would they send her to kill a wolf they don't even know about? Even if they knew about her warging she is at the point where she can do it with random animals and not just nymeria.
But if she was sent to kill any of them it would be her final initiation, the last act as Arya Stark before actually becoming a FM. It breaks their rules, but the point would be that she was severing her final ties to her old life, as I stated. You really can't see it happening? Seems a perfect way to bring her back into the foreground from my point of view.

Edit: To clarify, I'm not saying these would be traditional FM assassinations people having asked for that they'd just happen give to Arya. It would be a task given to her by the Faceless Men themselves, solely for the reasons aforementioned.

From their perspective, it would also be a good final training mission. If you can kill Cersei Lannister without getting caught in addition to two Kingsguard, you are probably ready.

Pkaz01

angelkimne said:
But if she was sent to kill any of them it would be her final initiation, the last act as Arya Stark before actually becoming a FM. It breaks their rules, but the point would be that she was severing her final ties to her old life, as I stated. You really can't see it happening? Seems a perfect way to bring her back into the foreground from my point of view.
It would make sense for the reader yea to give them that final Arya stark is now officially no one. But even then I would feel like it is a complete waste of a character GRRM built up with so many pages in these books.

At this point I don't see any way possible that she would stick with the faceless men and still be related to the story, unless whoever she is an apprentice under is in westeros or the iron banker dies and faceless men are sent to kill the boltons (even then i dont see arya as one of the ones sent)

I just think from what we have seen with her character and how she has been written she went from group to group never finding her pack and no way is she ever going to accept the faceless men when she is constantly reminded of her old life in both dreams and in the rumors that she hears. I see her learning about Jon snow dying because he broke his vows to save her and then remembering what he and her father told her, grabbing needle, and saying fk this I got a list to take care of.

yacobod

Banned
The faceless men are not going to have a contract on a direwolf, that's just retarded. If anything Arya will be sent on a contract or will be apprenticing with another FM and one of the jobs will take them back to Westeros. From there Arya will abandon the FM or whatever.

Pkaz01 said:
Yea good points. Thats why I find it more likely someone would just pay to take out Littlefinger. Even if Arya was to lie the faceless men are not dumb. But I don't think that secret is going to last long though, Varys will eventually get the info or put the clues together. Thats if he doesn't already know. Either way like a said before they'd just get rid of littlefinger cause she isn't really a threat to anyone.

What I find interesting is Illyrio/Varys' plan to have Aegon rule Westeros. What they are missing is someone to control the north. Do they really expect whoever is ruling the north at the time to just say oh whatever Aegon is on the throne now? He needs a stark to unite the north, and there is no way Varys doesn't know about fake Arya.

Fairly certain Varys knows about Jon's parentage.

bengraven

I don't see any of the Starks really important enough to get a FM contract out on them. Before this book, maybe Jon. But now? Sansa is hiding, B and R are assumed dead, Jon is "dead", Arya is assumed dead.

I guess maybe if Sansa declares herself, but then what? Maybe Cersei pays one? Or one of the richer houses of the Vale?

Also, wasn't Euron paying for Faceless Men?

Wait, no, I keep thinking Euron is paying for Faceless Men to be near him, but I'm confusing that evil pirate character who occasionally hires nearly immortal unstoppable killers for the OTHER evil pirate character who keeps hiring nearly immortal unstoppable killers in The Lies of Locke Lamora.

yacobod

Banned
Sirpopopop said:
Fairly certain Varys knows about Jon's parentage.

Ya he might. I think GURM also gave more hints in ADWD that R+L=J as well, but he also threw out some red herrings as well with the fisherman's daughter Wylla, and the story from Stannis. Both Kevan Lannister and Barristan were remembering Rhaegar and Lyanna together at some points in the book, so I think eventually its going to be revealed, maybe Bran will be the guy who finally reveals it through the trees.

I'm not counting on Howland Reed to ever show up in the series.

tino

Banned
Jon is not important enough for the faceless god to kill but Azor Ahai reborn is. Maybe the faceless god is the mortal nemesis of the god of light.

flyover

tino said:
Littlefinger should be killed by his own scheme, therefore he should be killed by Sansa.
After rereading the books, I want the series to end with Littlefinger running everything. No magic, no dragons, no royal bloodline, no fighting skills, no holdings of note, no gods on his side... and he is kicking ass.

He may be an asshole, but he's the most competent asshole in the world. The series will end with him becoming king and inventing trains, just so he can tie maidens to the tracks and twirl his pointy little beard.

bengraven

Holy shit, just saw something on SA about Manderly.

Am I the only one who didn't notice that the missing Freys were baked into pies by Manderly? Which is why he eats them with a smug look on his face and why he demands the singers play "The Rat King".

God, I'm a moron.

Jarmel

Banned
yacobod said:
Ya he might. I think GURM also gave more hints in ADWD that R+L=J as well, but he also threw out some red herrings as well with the fisherman's daughter Wylla, and the story from Stannis. Both Kevan Lannister and Barristan were remembering Rhaegar and Lyanna together at some points in the book, so I think eventually its going to be revealed, maybe Bran will be the guy who finally reveals it through the trees.

I'm not counting on Howland Reed to ever show up in the series.

Did he really though? Both Kevan and Barristan already confirmed stuff we already knew.

CrunchyB

yacobod said:
If anything Arya will be sent on a contract or will be apprenticing with another FM and one of the jobs will take them back to Westeros. From there Arya will abandon the FM or whatever.

Seems like a likely scenario. I liked how Arya was basically cheating during her training by warging into a cat. Perhaps this will make exit out of the cult possible. Because she can't possibly become a real faceless man and abandon her family.

Another thing:

Tyrion is a hidden Targ confirmed. It was a crackpot theory for a long while with some weak clues like:
* Tyrion dreaming of Dragons, silvery-gold hair, weird eyes
* Him being friends with Jon, who might be his nephew
* Timeline fits
* Aerys was known to violently rape his own wife occasionally.
* Tywin's erratic behavior.
* Joanna was known to overrule Tywin
* Possible failed abortion
* The curse of slaying your own father ( and Tyrion being Martin's favorite )

But now Barristan said that Aerys had an eye on one of Tywin's cousins ( who we can presume to be Joanna ). As soon as I read that, it was confirmed to me.

duckroll

bengraven said:

Am I the only one who didn't notice that the missing Freys were baked into pies by Manderly? Which is why he eats them with a smug look on his face and why he demands the singers play "The Rat King".

God, I'm a moron.

Yes. He is awesome in Dance.

bengraven said:

God, I'm a moron.
I missed that too. Also didn't realize that Mance Rayder and the spearwives were at Winterfell, him being Abel. :(

yacobod

Banned
CrunchyB said:
Tyrion is a hidden Targ confirmed.

If that's true, then the series will have totally jumped the shark. There's enough Targ's running around at the moment, whether true-born, alleged, bastard born, or whatever.

And it really ruins Tyrion's biggest/best character moments with his relationship and issues with his father.

The timeline doesn't make sense either based on what we've read, in ADWD Barristan mentions that Aerys had gone over the line during the bedding ceremony of Tywin/Joanna, and mentioned that he wished the lord's right was still in effect during their marriage.

bengraven said:

God, I'm a moron.
You have to have remembered who the Rat Cook was from ASOS to get the reference, I think.

yacobod: It's okay, GRRM is awesome. I know, you agree. :)

Okay finished the book last night. Here are my thoughts (Massive SPOILERS below):

I loved the POVs focusing on the North. Jon, Reek, Asha, Melisandre, Davos, and Bran's perspectives were generally fantastic. I was definitely not ready for Jon's last chapter, and I haven't yet internalized what to think of it yet. It was made pretty obvious however that Jon is Azor Ahai. His "death" is part of his transformation into the man that will lead the fight against the Stranger and its forces. I liked that he was taken out in a Julius Caesar'esque moment of betrayal, however the timing of it was questionable imo. Marsh and his co-conspirators and in for a world of hurt, i.e. torture and dismemberment, very soon. It was a pretty stupid decision on their part. That makes the "death" of Jon a bit too contrived for my taste, but hopefully GRRM will make more sense of why they decided to take Jon out when they did in Winds of Winter. That said I can't wait to see how Ghost/Melisandre/Bran/R'hllor/the Old gods combine to revive Jon and transform him into Azor Ahai in Winds of Winter.

The plot arc between Reek and the Boltons was fascinating, and included some of the best character development in the entire series imo. Theon's transformation into Reek and then back into Theon was amazing to witness. I feel more compassion for him now than i do any character in the book, if anyone deserves redemption in this series it is Theon Greyjoy.

Also as all of us know that have read through the book Wyman Manderly is THE MAN. I was fist pumping when he said "the North remembers." Davos' attempt to bring back Rickon in Winds of Winter is probably my most anticipated single POV for the book. I wasn't happy with GRRM leaving us a cliffhanger with Wyman being injured, but the feast of Frey pie was one of the most glorious moments in the entire series. All hail the Rat Cook and the Godfather otherwise known as Wyman.

I didn't love everything about the Northern chapters though. The most disappointing aspect of the northern arc was the fact that we were literally left out in the cold with what happened between Stannis' forces and the Boltons/Freys. Damn you Martin!!!! You could have at least given us some resolution on this plot progression.

That said as awesome as most of the Northern chapters were the Essos chapters simply weren't as interesting. I really enjoyed the world building of the Free Cities through Tyrion and Quentyn's early POVs, but Dany was an unmitigated disaster imo.

It is clear to me now that Martin has no idea what he wants to do with her. The introduction of Aegon seemed to me to be a waving of the white flag moment. As a character she has regressed back to where she was at the end of Game of Thrones and I no longer care where she ends up or what she does. Martin has given us too little payoff and no resolution with her character arc. As such towards the end of the book I found myself wishing that Martin would clean the slate and kill off Dany, Selmy, and the rest of her supporters. He clearly has no desire to give the readers the satisfaction of seeing Dany land in Westeros, so I think he needs to do the right thing and just end it.

Other than Dany however, which admittedly is the lion's portion, I enjoyed most of the Essos chapters. I've seen some people complaining about Tyrion's chapters, but I think Martin did a good job with them. We finally got to see areas that were mentioned off-hand throughout the series with his POV. The journey down the Rhoyne with Griff was great, as was his capture and time spent with Jorah and Penny. There wasn't much payoff for his travails and journey, but I think that is largely due to Martin's mishandling of Dany. I also had no problem with how Quentyn was handled. It was sad of course, but with the way he was described it made sense. Barriston's POVs were better than I thought they would be, it's just too bad that Dany was such a disappointment. It put a damper on all of the other Essos chapters. Dany sucks now, that's all there is to it.

bunbun777

It was revealed wasn't it that the followers of the Light also revere the one who is not named-- which i believe is the faceless one or Death. The red priest that swept up on the boat said as much.

Also who is going to warg into one of those dragons?

bunbun777 said:
It was revealed wasn't it that the followers of the Light also revere the one who is not named-- which i believe is the faceless one or Death. The red priest that swept up on the boat said as much.

Also who is going to warg into one of those dragons?

I don't remember the first part, but Bran is definitely going to be the warg master of whatever Dragons end up at the Wall. Whether it's the stone dragon that was foretold to arise when Azor Ahai is revealed or Dany's dragons we don't know yet, but Bran will be their master - it is known.

yacobod

Banned
So I know there's been a lot of speculation now that GURM won't be able to wrap up the series in 2 more novels, if so how many more? Maybe he should add one more book so he can use the "A Time for Wolves" title, which is 10X better than Winds of Winter (WoW) or A Dream of Spring. The North remembers!

flyover

LegendofJoe said:
I don't remember the first part, but Bran is definitely going to be the warg master of whatever Dragons end up at the Wall.
Yup. It's been a total misdirect with Bran. Over the course of the series, we've been hearing that he's going to fly. And Tyrion designed that special saddle for him to ride a horse. It all seemed to be leading to Bran riding a dragon.

Turns out, Bran's not going to ride a dragon. He'll be a dragon. And Tyrion will be designing another saddle -- for himself.

yacobod said:
So I know there's been a lot of speculation now that GURM won't be able to wrap up the series in 2 more novels, if so how many more? Maybe he should add one more book so he can use the "A Time for Wolves" title, which is 10X better than Winds of Winter (WoW) or A Dream of Spring. The North remembers!

I miss A Time for Wolves too, it was awesome. A Dream of Spring just isn't the same.

Frost_Ace

This is a bit of a silly question but is the english of these books hard? I'm not a native speaker and am thinking of getting them in their original language since I'm not so fond of some of the translations of our edition :/

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I really don't like the idea that Tyrion is a Targaryen. Not only are there plenty of them around now, but it would ruin one of my favorite moments in the series. The one about Tywin leaving one real son, Tyrion, and how much that bothered him.

Wait actually saying that, you could read it from the perspective of Tywin knowing Tyrion wasn't his real son. I still don't like it but it makes sense. Wow.

I'm starting to think that Tyrion is a Targaryen now, and I'm not sure I really like it either. I am also starting to think Aegon is fake. I keep going back and forth on him.

Frost_Ace said:
This is a bit of a silly question but is the english of these books hard? I'm not a native speaker and am thinking of getting them in their original language since I'm not so fond of some of the translations of our edition :/

You seem to write in English prett well (you correctly used "their" instead of "there" and "they're" which a lot of native speakers fuck up), I don't think it would be much of a problem for you.

yacobod

Banned
I think it would be more fitting that maybe Jamie/Cersei were the product of Aerys raping Joanna (that wacky Targ blood could be the reason for their creepy incestuous relationship), and Tyrion actually being Tywin's only real child. My opinion of course.

duckroll

I don't really think the story needs more random revelations that characters are not really who they think they are. It's kinda stupid and cheap this late in the story.

yacobod

Banned
duckroll said:
I don't really think the story needs more random revelations that characters are not really who they think they are. It's kinda stupid and cheap this late in the story.

agreed, making Tyrion a Targ at this point would be like a comic book retcon.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
yacobod said:
I think it would be more fitting that maybe Jamie/Cersei were the product of Aerys raping Joanna (that wacky Targ blood could be the reason for their creepy incestuous relationship), and Tyrion actually being Tywin's only real child. My opinion of course.
Yeah this could work too and I'd probably prefer it. And personally I really want Aegon to be real. I'm rooting for him, plus it'd be pretty lame to bring him back and then say he was fake.

yacobod

Banned
The other theory I've seen bandied about is that Aegon is actually Illyrio's son, which I would think is stupid.

Speaking of Illyrio, I wonder who Tyrion is going to finally poison in the next novel with those mushrooms he's got from Illyrio's estate.

duckroll

Aegon is real.... real dead. I can't see the boy surviving the series, regardless of whether he is who they say he is. By trying to crown him, they have effectively killed him.

flyover said:
Yup. It's been a total misdirect with Bran. Over the course of the series, we've been hearing that he's going to fly. And Tyrion designed that special saddle for him to ride a horse. It all seemed to be leading to Bran riding a dragon.

Turns out, Bran's not going to ride a dragon. He'll be a dragon. And Tyrion will be designing another saddle -- for himself.

The question is what will Tyrion be riding? Will it be a dragon? A pig? A dwarf? Whatever it is I can't wait to find out. Also, with Bran controlling the dragon that leaves room for it to carry whoever he wishes. I wonder who that will be? Jon, perhaps?

flyover

yacobod said:
The other theory I've seen bandied about is that Aegon is actually Illyrio's son, which I would think is stupid.

Speaking of Illyrio, I wonder who Tyrion is going to finally poison in the next novel with those mushrooms he's got from Illyrio's estate.

I got the feeling he used some of them them on Nurse.

flyover said:

That's definitely a plausible theory. I got the feeling though that Tyrion was hanging on to them in case he needed them for himself. Just in case he found himself in a situation where a quick death was the preferable option.

Jarmel

Banned
flyover said:

He did. He mentions slices of mushrooms and how nobody would look too closely at Nurse's death. He also got a basses usage of Lannisters and their debts.

As for Bran, I don't think he'll jump into a dragon. A greenseer is something more than that and I expect that will be Bran's role. I think Jon will be the one to do that to tame one of the dragons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom