• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies is rated M (ESRB)/16 (PEGI), gameplay videos

Eusis

To everyone saying this explains going digital only: 999, Virtue's Last Reward, and Megami Tensei. It IS possible retail have a stick up their ass on this particular front, or that Capcom's very edgy about an M rated handheld game not from Resident Evil or whatever hitting handheld, but at the very least it's not an inherent "can't stock this at retail AT ALL" scenario.

Ridley327

To everyone saying this explains going digital only: 999, Virtue's Last Reward, and Megami Tensei. It IS possible retail have a stick up their ass on this particular front, or that Capcom's very edgy about an M rated handheld game not from Resident Evil or whatever hitting handheld, but at the very least it's not an inherent "can't stock this at retail AT ALL" scenario.

I can't imagine RE:R's disappointing sales on the 3DS not being a big catalyst for going digital-only on AA5.

Vibranium

Banned
Holy crap, I wonder what's going to to be in the game to warrant a rating like that, in Capcom I trust though. Looks like Phoenix and Apollo are going all in hardcore for this one, maybe Gumshoe will show up and take out mobsters with a Tommy gun! When he saves Phoenix's hide in AA from Dee Vasquez's goons that was one of his best badass moments.

I still want that physical release but if it doesn't happen I'll be ok with it.

Theorymon

Woah what?! Well, that was unexpected, I guess Capcom was serious about this game being about "The Dark Days of Law"!

Maybe it's just me, but I have a feeling that the series could take advantage of this in unique ways. Like maybe a case where the victim is horribly dismembered, and you prove that the actual victim is not who everyone thinks it is!

Vlaphor

The ESRB has always rated 3D harsher than 2D. But that doesn't explain the ratings in other countries.

I remember the original release of Final Fantasy VII had an ESRB descriptor for "realistic violence", which I'm assuming was for the
Aeris death
scene. Future releases and even later releases on the PS1 changed the descriptor to "Animated Violence"

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Maybe it's just me, but I have a feeling that the series could take advantage of this in unique ways. Like maybe a case where the victim is horribly dismembered, and you prove that the actual victim is not who everyone thinks it is!
Cue minigame where you put the body back together. Like the vase.

2D sprite violence is more easily categorized as "Cartoon violence" I bet.

I think it's just this. The violence level is the same. Just it being in 3D makes them give it a harsher treatment.

Hell, back when anime first came to the west all of it was rated for all ages. Why? They most likely didn't even watch it. They saw it was a cartoon and assumed it's alright for kids.

Modern rating often doesn't make complete sense either. It's not as bad as back then, but still far from perfect.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I think you guys are overthinking it.

3D models probably made the difference between cartoon violence and "realistic" violence.
Agreed. The original AA had the exact same descriptions as to why it received its rating (Violence, Suggestive Themes, Language, & Blood). But that was 2D sprites that didn't have much animation. Meanwhile, AA5 is 3D with animation and movement, therefore making it more realistic.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

3D models probably made the difference between cartoon violence and "realistic" violence.

Well Peace Walker way rated T but it didn't feature blood, and I've seen 2D side scrollers with blood be rated T so it's probably a mix of that and I feel like one case might have implications of something beyond that. Could be a torture scene or a really harsh looking crime scene.

DangerStepp

I really hope this is good.

There haven't been many compelling reasons for me to buy a 3DS this side of another Mario or the fact they'll re-brand and modify the hardware again in a year.

Phoenix Wright is one of the few franchises that makes me mark out and just might change my mind on this.

brandnew

Eh, I don't know about that. 999 got the M and everything in there was "realistic" violence (also some naughty words). My guess is the cases are darker/sexual(?) and maybe some language.

Lusankya

Agreed. The original AA had the exact same descriptions as to why it received its rating (Violence, Suggestive Themes, Language, & Blood). But that was 2D sprites that didn't have much animation. Meanwhile, AA5 is 3D with animation and movement, therefore making it more realistic.
No, not agreed. Those descriptors are generic as it gets and can mean a variety of things. Also the 3D models basically look and move like 2D sprites, they are not an inch more realistic than before. Pretty sure we'll understand the rating after playing thegame (unless it was just arbitrary).

I'm guessing the transition to 3D is what did it. Still surprising, though.

Then Japan loves having kids shows where early episode Case Closed spoiler
PEOPLE GET BISECTED

Dat deceptive artstyle. Man Conan goes hard.

To be fair, the show stopped being that gory like 80 episodes in since it gained more popularity. It was originally gonna run for like 3 years, but look where were are now.

Although, a recent episode had someone hacked by an axe lol.

I love how in the anime it looks like a laser beam is coming out of her neck in the attempt to censor it.

His neck, you mean.

For the West. Japan gets physical only. Makes no sense.

Japan gets both physical and digital. It was confirmed like a week ago.

Too lewd for me.

Is a good time to get into the series, suppose I should either grab the DS games or borrow someone's ipad to play the HD re-release.

Without going into spoilers, thinking about it, while AA games are known for their silliness, they do get into some dark mature stuff like corruption in the police.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
No, not agreed. Those descriptors are generic as it gets and can mean a variety of things. Also the 3D models basically look and move like 2D sprites, they are not an inch more realistic than before. Pretty sure we'll understand the rating after playing the game (unless it was just arbitrary).
Hmm, possibly. True, we'll have to wait for either the ESRB to upload a description of the game or for people to play the game (or somehow get Capcom to tell us, which I doubt they will). Though it should be mentioned that AA Investigations got a T for MILD language, violence, and suggestive themes. The ESRB does have different levels for descriptors (mild language to language to strong language, blood & blood and gore, suggestive themes compared to sexual themes, partial nudity to nudity, etc.). Granted, still kind of generic as you said, but just throwing that out there the ESRB does try to be specific as to the level of content a game has.

But yeah, think we're just gonna have to wait & see why it got a M by playing the game ourselves. I'm just not expecting it to be a huge jump in ESRB-related content.

Rating comes as a shock but I'm eager to see what it means! Also those screens have some worrisome information (possibly spoilers) in them :(

LiK

I forgot there were GBA games, so should I hunt those first two? Series has been going so long which I always forget.

Edit: Nevermind, they all got ports. All so confusing.

PW Trilogy (DS) (Wii) (iOS)
Apollo (DS)
AAI1 (DS)

Play them in order of release to maximize the experience and jokes. They do follow ups and have recurring characters and jokes.

PW Trilogy (DS) (Wii) (iOS)
Apollo (DS)
AAI1 (DS)

Play them in order of release to maximize the experience and jokes. They do follow ups and have recurring characters and jokes.

Thanks, will grab the DS versions sometime in the next few weeks. Steam sal, SMTIV, and the Oculus Rift have drained me :D

Bladenic

I've read that AAI2 was darker than the rest with murders that are increasingly bloodier and brutal, so perhaps this is just the next step.

Top Bottom