• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Orth no longer with Microsoft

Yep. There's no other way to look at what he did. He represented MS on his Twitter and didn't have it private. The "internet" did nothing other than spread the nonsense MS were saying about Always online and about living in certain areas. Orth wasn't saying those things, MS was. He was the Creative Director of MS Studios, not some wacky games journalist. Pretty simple, really.

As a person with both a job and a twitter account I'm pretty certain that nothing I've ever said on twitter has been anything but my own opinion and I've never once spoken for my company on there.

What makes Adam Orth different? His title is cooler than mine? Or the fact that he said things people don't like and I haven't (yet)?

madmackem

He done fucked, he brought it on himself. You cant talk smack to customers in such a public manor in any walk of live and expect nothing to come of it. He brought a whole shitstorm to msft it was always going to end one way.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
As a person with both a job and a twitter account I'm pretty certain that nothing I've ever said on twitter has been anything but my own opinion and I've never once spoken for my company on there.

What makes Adam Orth different? His title is cooler than mine? Or the fact that he said things people don't like and I haven't (yet)?

If one of your tweets suddenly started generating a lot of negative press for the company you work for, you would suddenly represent that company. Abracadabra.

RobbieH

At a time when negative press surrounding the Durango was at its peak and gamers everywhere were clamouring for any detail about the console he, a creative director at a fucking tech company with the job title listed on his profile page, went on a public forum of 200 million users and obliquely commented on NDA information before the multi-billion dollar product was even announced. And it’s not like he was baited or anything; he started posting of his own accord and went on to antagonise potential customers. This was picked up not only by every gaming outlet there is, but mainstream outlets – Forbes, Time, The Huffington Post – ran with it as well.

It’s his own damn fault, he should have known better and he deserved to be fired / "resigned".

madmackem

The thing is that this is something outside of your control. All you need is the wrong context and a bunch of hotheaded people and almost anything can blow up in your face.

Thats why you should think before you post publicly on things that directly link to your job and your employer.

Yagharek

In what planet do people live on where publicly talking about unannounced products that billions are sunk into and insulting a large portion of your potential consumer base doesn't get you in serious trouble? That people seem insistent on blaming this on GAF and the Internet at large is mystifying.

It's not mystifying when you realise large swathes of the gaming industry and media are just entitled, anti-consumer types who can't get a handle on what the 'social' in social media entails.

I don't, he was an obnoxious, condescending douchebag.

I hope he ends up flipping burgers at McDonalds.

He's not working in the games industry again that's for sure.

He could find a good job, he has a good background of working in high position. It just won't be in games where people know about his PR scandal. I also doubt when a future employer googles his name they'll find much to admire.

If you start addressing controversial rumors for an unannounced project without prior approval, insult swaths of your customer base while doing so, and you aren't fired, you can get back to us.

"Opinion is my own and not representative of the company I work for" is not a shield to act reckless online and cause harm to your company.

Do you have a very high position in a big company?

This is exactly why big companies have their own PR team. They scrutinize whatever comments and information that they disclose to the public. Why? Because the public will link you to your employer, and it's exactly what just happened. The Xbox name got stained with the "always online" image now, which means extra work for MS. If always online had been the plan all along, I can guarantee that MS prepared methods to make it easier for the public to accept. They'll spin it in various ways, like "always be connected to your friends", "instant game updates", etc

Orth only has himself for making controversial statements for someone in his position. Something like this is generally well-accepted amongst companies.

I feel bad that he lost his job, but it was also completely his fault. I'd also like to point out that if a Microsoft employee was THAT defensive before the console is announced that does not bode well for post launch spin.

Vexxan

Too bad someone lost their job but he has only himself to blame. People of the game industry should probably just step away from Twitter and other social media and let their PR department handle the PR.

madmackem

Too bad someone lost their job but he has only himself to blame. People of the game industry should probably just step away from Twitter and other social media and let their PR department handle the PR.

I dont think any of us want that, they just really need to think before they tweet or in this case pm the person they are having banter with not out in the public domain.

Eusis

You guys got a man fired from a really good job because of videogames. NeoGAF is funny
When videogames are your job it can matter. You could literally get someone fired over peanuts if they're working at a peanut company and say something that can be taken as insulsting to their consumers.

Acosta

He got fired himself.

"Internet" is not an entity that decides upon the life of the mortals, it´s just a enormous loudspeaker. If you act stupidly, if you say inappropiate stuff and you don't know how to stop, Internet just makes it resonate.

People should stop blaming "internet" of the shit they do themselves and accept that what Internet brings is consequence to your own actions, you are not chitchatting with some friends in a bar.

XBRXzQJ.jpg
I love how internet turns into a third person, inanimate thing when there is something like this, and how it turns back to your personal efforts, and a series of real connections between people when there is a "good" ending.

Posting on Twitter was the catalyst of his downfall and blaming it on a Twitter post is like protesting a gunman by shooting around.

Hero

Adam got himself fired or put into a shitty position where he was forced/suggested to resign, no one else is to blame other than him.

It really astounds me that it's fucking 2013 and people still haven't learned that just because you have a social media platform that you can get away with saying dumb shit. If I worked at a high profile company like MS, Sony, Google or whatever I wouldn't even associate myself with my employer at all.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
What if it wasnt the "Internet" that took him down but was instead your local tv news I-Team investigators? Would you feel differently?

SAv9w9B.jpg

At least this way there might be a fistfight when the camera gets too close to Sweet Billy.

Barryman

I love how internet turns into a third person, inanimate thing when there is something like this, and how it turns back to your personal efforts, and a series of real connections between people when there is a "good" ending.

Posting on Twitter was the catalyst of his downfall and blaming it on a Twitter post is like protesting a gunman by shooting around.

Well I think internet mobs can take on a life of their own. In that context, it makes sense to personify "the internet."

That having been said, I'm pretty sure "the internet" is not at fault for this.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The "boo, boo GAF!" agenda is so transparent and dull. Like this place is some organised, militant group of degenerate internet heathens out to ruin lives. It's a public form. Like Twitter. Like Facebook. Like the rest. Expose and make a poor example of yourself and people will pick up on it, and it will probably spread, especially if you're a celebrity name of any sort, or are speaking in association with a well known organisation.

Maybe one day people will wake up and realise this before behaving poorly on the most accessible, connected, and wide spread information sharing network in human history. Stop treating the internet as your personal safe haven soapbox. Stop disassociating yourself from your own behavior and blaming others for the way it spirals out of control. How many people have a sense of pride over their hundreds, if not thousands, of Twitter and Facebook followers, then refuse to be held accountable when these followers pick up on poor behavior?

Make yourself public, and everything you say becomes public. There's no other spin. You are single handedly responsible for your behavior. If you don't want this shit to happen, lock your profiles down to private access, or don't use the internet as a platform for your rants, arguments, and debates.

It's sad when shit like this happens. It's sad when people are bullied online. But at the end of the day, you should have known better.

Protome

Fixed. I really don't see why this needs to be reiterated in perpetuity.
Because it's not true. Guy made a few snarky comments about always on devices, there is no logical reason that should be a resignation worthy event.
People overreacting and blowing what he said completely out of proportion is what caused him to lose his job.

freddy

Banned
Also, I keep hearing Andrew Orth is "one of the good guys" but what has led people to make this statement? If he's a decent guy then tell us why you think so, because at the moment we've just seen the arrogant, dismissive douche biting the hand that feeds.

M.W.

Because it's not true. Guy made a few snarky comments about always on devices, there is no logical reason that should be a resignation worthy event.
People overreacting and blowing what he said completely out of proportion is what caused him to lose his job.

Snarky? More like douchey.

I'm sure Microsoft were capable of reaching that decision all on their own without any input from the spectators. Mistakes were made, people resigned.

Microsoft does not comment on rumors and speculation.

madmackem

When its linked to your job or employer then it very much is, he was foolish to act like he did and he brought a boat load of shit to msft door. He made a massive error, people pay with their jobs everyday for similar goofs.

xenist

Another way to look at it is that a man got fired for a serious breach of protocol before an the announcement of a multibillion dollar multinational product.

No way. It's the internet's fault. First they FAIL to stop Monsanto and BOA from their evil ways because they're butthurt at EA. Now they get a Good Man fired from a Good Job just because, I don't know, they're mad at him because he's a Good Man with a Good Job?

Oooh, internet! Is there no end to your villainy?

Oh shit, how could I forget? Also, only last week the internet's high priest and role model, the notorious anarcho-communist villain Notch, threw a debauched party where he went around molesting female and effeminate looking male guests, buying off their silence with the untold millions the internet hoisted upon him as a tithe. Millions stolen from good, honest game publishers through the crime of piracy.

I don't wish anyone to loose their jobs, but I can't feel sorry for someone who was that stupid about handling his twitter account and that issue at that exact moment. You really have to think a bit.

Gonna unfollow Arthur Gies and ClifffyB from twitter now also, after their recent pissing contest about who can be the biggest corporate apologist.

That Arthur Gies was like that is not really a big suprise, but I've lost a lot of respect for CliffyB recently after him defending EA, always online and Adam Orth. For such a succesful man, he seems pretty stupid and ignorant, and completely unable to grasp the actual problems with those issues.

If one of your tweets suddenly started generating a lot of negative press for the company you work for, you would suddenly represent that company. Abracadabra.

Yeah, and that's not really fair to anyone. I understand that it's how things work, but the post I replied to above said that there's no other way to look at it than to associate Adam Orth's tweets with Microsoft. Except that's not how I look at it at all.

People tweet about their lives, they shoot the shit with their friends, they try to make jokes and fail. It's all normal twitter stuff until one day your opinion rubs someone the wrong way.

There's so little room for error when that happens. You make one poorly worded or ill conceived reply to someone and you're instantly on forums and game sites before you can react. It's actually a little frightening how easily this could happen to any well-meaning person.

We'll all learn before long I guess. My strategy so far has been to block anyone that looks like a customer of my employer. It caused some "<Employer> sucks, how can anyone block their customers??" on forums, but at the end of the day it's my personal account and I don't get paid to deal with customers.

what are non-disclosure agreements

Wallach

That Arthur Gies was like that is not really a big suprise, but I've lost a lot of respect for CliffyB recently after him defending EA, always online and Adam Orth.

To be fair, I don't think Cliffy has actually written anything about Orth yet. I'm definitely expecting high-velocity derp, but I don't know if he's actually stated a position about the whole deal.

I hope the guy learns from this and benefits from the experience in the end.

But the industry drama queens blaming the internet for this are coming off as incredibly ignorant. I feel for the PR people who have to handle individuals who are unable understand that playing with fire will get your fingers burned. And then write anti-fire posts on Twitter.

When I was a kid this stinky weird kid saw me take a marker from my teacher so I could use it at home. The next morning before I put the marker back my teacher with horrible shit breath and a fupa the size of small bean bag searched my bag and found the marker. She yelled at me, informed my mom I was a thief, and gave me detention for a week.

I took the marker so it was my fault right? Yes it was
Does taking a single marker without permission for 16 hours actually matter? No it does not
Should that kid just have kept his mouth shut? Hell yes, this kid thought he was being some sort of hero for his teacher. Instead all it did was make my life suck for a couple weeks and my mom possibly think I was a thief. All because of a mother fucking marker...

What you guys need to realize before you go on one of these heroic crusades for internet justice is this. You guys acted like a bunch a manbabies on the internet, causing this huge uproar because some dude said some dumb shit. Your uproar got so big, that you got this man fired; and for what? Because he said a thing that you disagreed with, not a important social issue or something like this that would warrant such an outrage. No, you got him fired because of his opinion on gaming...

What if he goes home and kills himself? You guys don't know him, he could be depressed. What if he flips out and hurts someone? You don't know if he has mental issues.

All I can hope for is for some of you, before you post stuff like this, think about what you are actually upset about. Are videogames really a thing to devote your venom and hate towards?

Please don't pretend either that GAF didn't get this man fired either. You absolutely did.

SteveWD40

The "boo, boo GAF!" agenda is so transparent and dull. Like this place is some organised, militant group of degenerate internet heathens out to ruin lives. It's a public form. Like Twitter. Like Facebook. Like the rest. Expose and make a poor example of yourself and people will pick up on it, and it will probably spread, especially if you're a celebrity name of any sort, or are speaking in association with a well known organisation.

Maybe one day people will wake up and realise this before behaving poorly on the most accessible, connected, and wide spread information sharing network in human history. Stop treating the internet as your personal safe haven soapbox. Stop disassociating yourself from your own behavior and blaming others for the way it spirals out of control. How many people have a sense of pride over their hundreds, if not thousands, of Twitter and Facebook followers, then refuse to be held accountable when these followers pick up on poor behavior?

Make yourself public, and everything you say becomes public. There's no other spin. You are single handedly responsible for your behavior. If you don't want this shit to happen, lock your profiles down to private access, or don't use the internet as a platform for your rants, arguments, and debates.

It's sad when shit like this happens. It's sad when people are bullied online. But at the end of the day, you should have known better.

GFDHXXb.gif

Top Bottom