• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Orth no longer with Microsoft

GAF: Controlling bonuses, the fate of department leads, and uncovering the Doritos-Gate Scandal of [Present].

If only we were given such power in Mass Effect 3...

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
What the hell is your beef with Shinobi? Adam should have shown better judgement and professionalism. This isn't the first time he's drawn attention to himself like this. Adam fucked up and he paid for it ,,. with his resignation.

And Kevin Dent ... is a tool. With people like that defending you, who needs enemies.

I don't he's so much more a tool than he is a just a terrible person. At least relatively speaking to other industry folk I've talked to. This summarizes something that happened earlier in the year in regards to Aliens: Colonial Marines.

http://www.velocitygamer.com/kevin-...-as-a-part-of-his-business-model/#prettyPhoto

But as for apologizing: I assure you the only reasons he's not apologizing for what some folks want him to apologize for is:

a- why would he apologize for his take on 'always on'? You may not agree with him, but the man has a right to a perfectly valid opinion. Not MY opinion on the issue, but the guy has a right to feel how he feels.

b- Why apologize for the whole whole 'why on Earth would I live there' bit when it was a smart ass trolly joke for his buddy? Adam does not actually feel that way at all and so the only thing he might apologize for is not being clear he was being intentionally smarmy and sarcastic but nowhere near serious.

David

He has the right to feel how he feels......... if he's a random nobody posting in neogaf. As a Microsoft employee anything he says about his company's product can have massive repercussions on their success and how the public views them. He can complain about the backlash toward Always on....... in private, not on Twitter. And even if he has the right to his opinions, when his customers are upset about what he said he HAS to say something to placate them. Even if it means going down on his knees to beg for their forgiveness. The customers are not always right, but to treat them in a coalescing way no matter how unreasonable you think they are is never acceptable.

Is anyone else starting to feel disturbed by the defense that Adam Orth is getting? It's starting to be pretty shocking how some of you guys here don't understand the importance of keeping your customers happy.

Nah, you've heard nothing valid about the guy if you think he's not the apologizing type.

Adam is a good, good guy and a real talent. And he's a nice guy as well. He teases and fucks around- like so many of us on the net do- and yeah, he tweeted without thinking (like many of us on the net do) and he just got very unlucky.

But as for apologizing: I assure you the only reasons he's not apologizing for what some folks want him to apologize for is:

a- why would he apologize for his take on 'always on'? You may not agree with him, but the man has a right to a perfectly valid opinion. Not MY opinion on the issue, but the guy has a right to feel how he feels.

b- Why apologize for the whole whole 'why on Earth would I live there' bit when it was a smart ass trolly joke for his buddy? Adam does not actually feel that way at all and so the only thing he might apologize for is not being clear he was being intentionally smarmy and sarcastic but nowhere near serious.

David

with all due respect Mr.Jaffe , you may express your opinion, but you can't be an asshole about it and tell people to "Deal with it." ,Mr.Orth should have chosen his words wisely.

Majanew

Banned
But it wasn't just for his "opinions" or the jokes between him and Manveer. It was a bunch of other ridiculous condescending tweets, I mean for crying out loud, a regular Joe Shmoe asked him something along the lines of "I personally know 5 people with Xbox 360s who don't have Internet...they would be screwed". Responding by saying "They should get with the times and get the Internet, it's awesome" doesn't really fly well by anyone's standards.

I can imagine that guy feeling pretty insulted with that answer.

Yep. There's no other way to look at what he did. He represented MS on his Twitter and didn't have it private. The "internet" did nothing other than spread the nonsense MS were saying about Always online and about living in certain areas. Orth wasn't saying those things, MS was. He was the Creative Director of MS Studios, not some wacky games journalist. Pretty simple, really.

Nah, you've heard nothing valid about the guy if you think he's not the apologizing type.

Adam is a good, good guy and a real talent. And he's a nice guy as well. He teases and fucks around- like so many of us on the net do- and yeah, he tweeted without thinking (like many of us on the net do) and he just got very unlucky.

David

Yep, if you have any self integrity, you'd do this. His buddy even publicly mentioned he was kidding around. It was certainly poor timing to make the comments at all....however.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Just curious, why do you think the repercussions weren't proportional?

If I was an exec at Microsoft and one of my employees seemingly confirmed a controversial feature of one of my products before we announced it, antagonized my customers and overall caused a whole PR mess for the product...I know I wouldn't be very happy with him.
It's not just the execs that should be upset either. Every engineer and designer of the Xbox team just had their work potentially compromised by him. No amount of spin can justify that -- even if he was just "joking around" with a friend.

If he resigned on his own accord, I wonder if that had a play in it. Hard to face your team as the creative director when you just sullied their work in public for "jokes" or worse if he was serious. Jokes are fine in private, but when you identify yourself as part of your company in a public channel, that's no place for jokes about a project in development that you are part of.
No he isn't.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Oh, just another member of the lovely twitter trait "everyone's a fucking ceo". Never heard of him or his company until this thread. Like you say, nothing of value will be lost by never speaking of him again.

If you go through his previous tweets (which is more trouble than it's worth, considering the guy lives there), you'll see him threaten to contact someone's employer for harassing him on Twitter. It was actually the high school the kid went to. Then he posted a screenshot of the kid's Facebook page and said "nice shirt."

Creepy stuff.

If you go through his previous tweets (which is more trouble than it's worth, considering the guy lives there), you'll see him threaten to contact someone's employer for harassing him on Twitter. It was actually the high school the kid went to. Then he posted a screenshot of the kid's Facebook page and said "nice shirt."

Creepy stuff.

Ahahaha, I know it's been said before in this thread, but it's not that surprising that someone like this is standing up for Orth.

He has the right to feel how he feels......... if he's a random nobody posting in neogaf. As a Microsoft employee anything he says about his company's product can have massive repercussions on their success and how the public views them. He can complain about the backlash toward Always on....... in private, not on Twitter. And even if he has the right to his opinions, when his customers are upset about what he said he HAS to say something to placate them. Even if it means going down on his knees to beg for their forgiveness. The customers are not always right, but to treat them in a coalescing way no matter how unreasonable you think they are is never acceptable.

Is anyone else starting to feel disturbed by the defense that Adam Orth is getting? It's starting to be pretty shocking how some of you guys here don't understand the importance of keeping your customers happy.

No one is defending what he did.

However, people trying to demand an apology over an obvious (while ill-tasted) skit that wasn't targeted at them is just pathetic. The guy apologized a bit over the direct conversations with consumers, and the rest is between him and Microsoft for creating that atmosphere.

A lot of people need to lighten up and not take everything so damn personal, especially at this stage with the whole situation behind us.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right

It boils down to this: if Orth had chosen to exercise a modicum of common sense then he would still have his job.

Instead, he chose ... poorly.

freddy

Banned

No, it's pretty typical circle-the-wagons type behaviour when someone thinks their buddy is getting a raw deal. It also happens that this is a good reason to dismiss the defense, because who wouldn't stick up for their buddy, right or wrong, no matter if he came off as an extreme arsehole and won't even apologise for it..

Eusis

Creepy stuff.
Wow, yeah, Adam Orth may be just misunderstood here to some extent, but this Kevin Dent guy's practically a sociopath. Fuck that asshole.

Creepy stuff.

Hahaha this is some junior high shit.

Unsurprising. His actions led him hear, he should have apologised and attempted to salvage the situation much sooner, instead he doubled down with some incredibly ridiculous comments that he later claimed were jokes (sure) and caused no manner of bad publicity for MS.

He really should have known better.

JABEE

Ahahaha, I know it's been said before in this thread, but it's not that surprising that someone like this is standing up for Orth.

I don't even think Orth is an asshole. He just seemed to have gotten caught up in his own product and became super-defensive. He's human.

Dent's tweets are just a reflection of his character. I don't believe I have heard one person say a good word about him, and every thing I have read from him has been him antagonizing someone.

Creepy stuff.
Jesus. I feel dirty reading that. What a colossal cuntlord. Not surprisingly industry folk who share his shitty brand of elitism are defending the indefensible.

Was this the first public acknowledgement from a Microsoft employee of anything about Durango?

Every other time I have seen it brought up by outside sources, MS employees usually pretend the question wasn't asked and talk about some feature coming out for the 360.

Eusis

Was this the first public acknowledgement from a Microsoft employee of anything about Durango?

Every other time I have seen it brought up by outside sources, MS employees usually pretend the question wasn't asked and talk about some feature coming out for the 360.
Technically he was just arguing for requiring online not being such a big deal. And it really IS possible for someone int he dark to want to defend this, we've been seeing some of that here anyway.

Wallach

Honestly if you want to blame someone other than Adam Orth it was the gaming journalists that got him fired. If it was contained to a forum things might have died down and crisis would have been averted. Instead every gaming website made it front page news on a slow news weekend.

Yeah, I really enjoy this aspect of the entire thing. Instead of the actually naming the entities that made this into a big issue - the PR/"news" machine the industry at large created and then gently tucked in their anus - most of the ire is shot at "the internet" so that it can include all those jerks on those darn forums. As if the average nerd posting on Twitter about how his stupid opinion was stupid has the same level of accountability in all this as the guys that ran this as a public-facing story to a much larger audience.

GQman2121

Banned
All this power, you guys.

Maybe I'm just completely dense because of the severity of the situation, but are these industry people fucking serious with their "internet" remarks?

Like do they honestly believe Adam's bosses sat him down, gave him a talking to, and just cut him loose because the internet said to?

Some if these people contribute to sites that ran with the story and made this front page news. They're apart if the internet too!

Perhaps there was a review on Metacritic for this story that I don't know about?

Did Sweet Billy's Week Long Adventure on Social Networks not average out to an 80 - so they had to stick to policy, and give him his walking orders?

Because that would honestly make more sense than blaming the internet at this point.

Zabka

I don't even think Orth is an asshole. He just seemed to have gotten caught up in his own product and became super-defensive. He's human.

Dent's tweets are just a reflection of his character. I don't believe I have heard one person say a good word about him, and every thing I have read from him has been him antagonizing someone.

Dent is actually a friend of Michael Pachter. He appointed him to the board after he was named COO. I'm sure he would have some nice things to say.

http://www.148apps.com/news/kevin-dent-p4rc-plan-user-engagement-rewards/

Michael is one of my closest friends, he is one of the few people I know that can look at a video games business and say “ah ok I get it”. When I first showed him this, he said “OK you are definitely doing this” and it was not posed as a question. He is literally the smartest guy I know. The guy is just a straight up genius.

I hoped the guy was just having a bad night but it looks like he's known for this kind of behavior. Dent I mean, not Pachter. Pachter is cool in my book.

Technically he was just arguing for requiring online not being such a big deal. And it really IS possible for someone int he dark to want to defend this, we've been seeing some of that here anyway.

Arguing about the Durango here is fine. Arguing about Always Online is fine. But I haven't seen anyone at MS even acknowledge questions about that sorta detail. The closet thing we have gotten from an MS employee about the Durango were a couple snarky comments about the PS4 reveal. Other then that, it's been a waterproof ship on their side.

I am sure that the brass were less then thrilled that the first time someone being paid by MS talks about always online, its related directly with bashing a good portion of the country. No matter what your intent was, its looks fucking awful, especially since the gaming press has SO much to do right now.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Perhaps there was a review on Metacritic for this story that I don't know about?

Did Sweet Billy's Week Long Adventure on Social Networks not average out to an 80 - so they had to stick to policy, and give him his walking orders?

Because that would honestly make more sense than blaming the internet at this point.

I'm seriously struggling not to bust out laughing right now.

Can someone make this into a text based adventure game, please?

Jackson

I never understood what his exact position (not talking about job but rather his standing) in the industry is. Is he blacklisted or something? I don't get him.

I think the problem is nobody gets him. lol

When I met him he said he was an agent/lawyer, but seemed to be by himself, not an agency/firm. Now he his own dev company apparently, making a F2P shooter or something, but it seems very small/under funded.

He has a weird way of making fun of everyone as a joke in conversation, but only being in on the joke himself. I think he thinks it's harmless, but obviously most others don't. Just kinda like he does on twitter.

You meet all kinds at parties.

David

It's obvious you're Orth's friend and you're trying to defend him, it's nice of you and all, but even someone as outspoken as you would at least be smart enough to know when to keep your mouth shut and not do what he did if you were in his shoes.
Orth found himself out of a job because he's too fucking juvenile to know better.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
What the hell is your beef with Shinobi? Adam should have shown better judgement and professionalism. This isn't the first time he's drawn attention to himself like this. Adam fucked up and he paid for it ,,. with his resignation.

And Kevin Dent ... is a tool. With people like that defending you, who needs enemies.

My beef with Shinobi is that he copy/pastes entire articles from other sites. As an additional FU to the site that wrote the bloody thing he puts the link in his quote.

I'm not a fan of games journalism but I have a problem when people pull this kind of shit. Hate what they write? Fine. Don't read it. Hate them and pull their entire article they wrote into a different place so they don't receive any payment for their work? Yea. I have a problem with that.

Hahah which one of you is The Real Luigi.

TsbEiXR.png
What's so hilarious about aspirations?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
My beef with Shinobi is that he copy/pastes entire articles from other sites. As an additional FU to the site that wrote the bloody thing he puts the link in his quote.

I'm not a fan of games journalism but I have a problem when people pull this kind of shit. Hate what they write? Fine. Don't read it. Hate them and pull their entire article they wrote into a different place so they don't receive any payment for their work? Yea. I have a problem with that.

While this isn't a rule, it's a silently enforced rule that many of the members know. Whenever I post a news article or what not I only take bits and pieces of it that are enticing and encourage the reader to clink the link and read the rest. Unless it's a press release I never copy and paste entire articles. It's in extreme poor taste.

EDIT: Realize I quoted the wrong person. Meh.

Eusis

Arguing about the Durango here is fine. Arguing about Always Online is fine. But I haven't seen anyone at MS even acknowledge questions about that sorta detail. The closet thing we have gotten from an MS employee about the Durango were a couple snarky comments about the PS4 reveal. Other then that, it's been a waterproof ship on their side.

I am sure that the brass were less then thrilled that the first time someone being paid by MS talks about always online, its related directly with bashing a good portion of the country. No matter what your intent was, its looks fucking awful, especially since the gaming press has SO much to do right now.
Well, I don't think any of his tweets were SPECIFICALLY about Durango, but yeah, his position makes it indicative that either Microsoft was doing it, or that people high up in Microsoft want to do it or at least see no reason not to, both are about as damning really.

What's so hilarious about aspirations?

I can see you're young and full of shit like we all were at your age. Once you get INTO THE BUSINESS you will see that rudeness excuses aspirations. Experience will teach you that you have fucked yourself and you don't even know it.

NICE SHIRT.

AH88

Banned

Creepy stuff.

Holy shit that's creepy.
A grown man goes digging through a high schooler's facebook looking for some sort of way to get back at him, dude must have some real mental problems going on.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Cue GAF being touted more as that place by many in the industry.

Not that we should care about opinions from that kind of folks though, heh.

Top Bottom