• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Orth no longer with Microsoft

inky

Or are you being sarcastic? I'm terrible at noticing sarcasm.

:p

“I’m so angry about this game treating me like a thief!” ::alt tabs over to bit torrent::

LOL, Cliffy. If you were employed now, you would certainly be next on the list of people GAF needs to get fired ASAP. I don't know why I bothered reading half of what you wrote there, you owe me like 5 minutes now.

Liked that post. And yeah, always online is coming, it only needs to come with a stronger infrastructure to be a valid thing.

People on 2006 used to say: "why hdmi if HD tvs are not the norm? Why bluray?" when ps3 happened to land on the consumer market.

I'd say 2 years later it the tendencies changed.

What a bunch of shit.

And:
His comments may have exploded on the internet, but it’s actually quite possible that he was eyeing a departure, or he was getting bad reviews, or was tired of the perpetual overcast nature of the Pacific Northwest and timing may have been right for him to move on.

Riiiight, he wanted to leave the company coincidentally a few days after all this shit went kablooey.

Gui_PT

So you guys are jumping on Ckiffy B now?

He's wrong on a few of the subjects he addresses but right for most of it, isn't he?

Lots of people here seemed to enjoy the fact that the man got fired.

Now I don't agree with what Sweet Cheeks Billy did, or especially how he handled it but the Cliffster does have a point.

Hope some of you guys are joking at the moment, to be honest.

E: I don't think he meant who hates always online is a pirate.

He mentions that despite all the shit, Sim City and Diablo 3 have sold well. He forgets that it isn't the bad entry that sells poorly, it's the one after.

Also mentions his iPad in a defense of always-on, despite iPads being fully functional offline (how I use mine most of the time).

Other than that, I can respect the general sentiment of his post.

Cliffy is living in a dream world if he thinks you don't have to be accountable for your actions when working for a big company. Orth probably broke a couple of NDAs by fueling the always online fire.

The guy lost his job, or "resigned", because he was talking about stuff he shouldn't have been talking about.

I find it funny though, Cliffy's entire post is a compilation of all the worst arguments we've had so far for always online; highlights include, people who disagree are pirates and who cares if you're inconvenienced by it because it doesn't inconvenience me.

In the end, I'm just going to buy the product that's the most convenient for me; ease of use is key.

JABEE

How can Cliffy know that Diablo would have sold half as much without the Always-Online requirement? Maybe if you're talking about using the RMAH, but the boxed or digital copy selling half as much is absurd.

What information backs this up. It's a fallacy to believe that past success ensures future success with one iteration. Diablo is a known brand. Pointing to always-online as the differentiating factor in its immense success requires more evidence than he provided.

I won't insult Cliff as others have, but I will disagree with his premise.

I"m sure this has been mentioned countless times already, but the whole point of a non disclosure agreement is that you agree that you won't disclose anything. Whether it be good, bad, or indifferent, you don't say anything about it until they say you can, if ever. That's the whole idea. He had to know that when he signed his NDA, and he had to be aware of the consequences he would face if he violated the NDA.

How can Cliffy know that Diablo would have sold half as much without the Always-Online requirement? Maybe if you're talking about using the RMAH, but the boxed or digital copy selling half as much is absurd.

What information backs this up. It's a fallacy to believe that past success ensures future success with one iteration. Diablo is a known brand. Pointing to always-online as the differentiating factor in immense success requires more evidence than he provided.

I won't insult Cliff, but I disagree with his premise.
I think Ubisoft would be a more apt comparison.

How did their always online games go? Didn't they end up back pedalling?

MormaPope

Banned
Cliffy said:
Well behaved people rarely make history.

What the fuck does that mean Cliff. The dude's rants could've cost Microsoft thousands or potentially millions of dollars, new rumors may have adverted that outcome, but Adam made Microsoft look like a teenage tyrant spouting Obama memes overnight.

Why is it so hard for many people within the gaming industry not being able to cast blame or responsibility for themselves? Why blame social sites or forums?

Hero

While I like Cliffy he's totally wrong on almost every single thing here.

Diablo 3 and SimCity didn't sell well because they were always online. They sold well because their previous game entries were popular enough to make a brand out of it. Diablo 3 is a fucking horrible example anyway. Almost a year later and there is no way Blizzard can be happy with how it turned out.

He also fails to accept the fact that there are circumstances where you can't be online. A vacation in the woods is not the same thing as someone who lives in a place with shitty internet or is in the military. Also, he blatantly mentions his iPad and says it's always online but it's fucking not. It's connection capable but the thing doesn't stop being useable if it doesn't connect to the internet and I'm sure people wouldn't justify a purchase of such a unit.

Also what community or group is he addressing that are happy that Adam Orth got fired? Sure there's a couple assholes but it's the internet. Most reasonable people are just saying he got what was coming for being so outspoken and a dick as a representative of his former employer.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I entirely and wholeheartedly agree with this and I wish people thought more often about what kind of world this would be if everyone/every group decided to take action against people that write something they disagree with/that rubs them the wrong way.

I'd like people to take responsibility for their own actions. Don't talk about your NDA'd unannounced console. Don't be patronizing to people. If you act like an assclown, own up to it and take responsibility.

shink

I feel bad for the guy. Sorry that a few poor choices had led to this but I guess he'll know to think about what he writes online now.

haha, I can already tell some of you guys will judging Cliffy's next game more harshly than usual.
Only if it's always online :p.

In general though, I can enjoy content despite the creators views, as long as they don't taint the work. For instance, there's still some Mel Gibson movies I enjoy despite finding some of the guy's views ridiculous.

Adam Blue

I'd like people to take responsibility for their own actions. Don't talk about your NDA'd unannounced console. Don't be patronizing to people. If you act like an assclown, own up to it and take responsibility.

Yeah, more than ever, people will call you out for being a douche. That whole anonymity on the internet is going away with how public our presence is. If Orth talked in a more respectable manner on his views, then maybe it wouldn't be a big deal.

That Kevin Dent Square Crossover post I made? I honestly thought there was something there. No harm meant from it. He then calls Gaf (me) a dolt on twitter, and I call him out in a respectful manner. He didn't respond.

As time goes this year, people that have been douches will get called out more and tone down. Just like being out in public. Just because it's the internet doesn't make it different.

I really wish Bleszinski would sit and take a breath and think before he goes on these tirades. They always seem to be a collection of straw man arguments.

I entirely and wholeheartedly agree with this and I wish people thought more often about what kind of world this would be if everyone/every group decided to take action against people that write something they disagree with/that rubs them the wrong way.

Price of public discourse. He could've kept those comments local.

Tangeroo

It's interesting how Cliffy's post fails to acknowledge the failure to adhere to NDA. I don't think that there are many people reveling in the fact that Adam is no longer at Microsoft. Most of us just don't disagree with whatever decision was made (even if it really was Adam's) for the relationship to no longer exist.

For those defending Adam, I'm very glad that you are not in a position that holds information critical to billions of dollars worth of shareholder money.

Young Clifford is wrong on this one. Orth screwed himself. Maybe some douchebags online revel in it, but that still doesn't mean that anybody other than Orth is at fault. Just because there are assholes out there doesn't make you a fucking victim.

If Orth is competent, he'll come out of this situation just fine. His abilities will outshine his error.

And enough of this fucking "I know people who say he's a great dude" bullshit. Every prick and cunt I've ever known have their defenders.

Sean

Banned
Also mentions his iPad in a defense of always-on, despite iPads being fully functional offline (how I use mine most of the time).

Other than that, I can respect the general sentiment of his post.

You can use an iPad offline but that eliminates like 95% of the use cases - most apps require the internet to function properly.

CliffyB said:
Let’s pay attention to the wording here. Resigned. Not fired.

Now, beyond all of the use of the impact font and the “Haha let’s make an internet meme out of this guy we’ve never met” let’s also remember that what happened between Adam and his employer is now between the two of them. His comments may have exploded on the internet, but it’s actually quite possible that he was eyeing a departure, or he was getting bad reviews, or was tired of the perpetual overcast nature of the Pacific Northwest and timing may have been right for him to move on.

I’m going to let you in on a little secret. When someone leaves a company there’s what publicly is stated and there’s what really happened.

And you’re likely to never, ever know it.

It's also possible the dinosaur people called him back to space to save them from the armies of machine gun-wielding kittens. But I'd say it's very probable that causing international negative news would be the most likely reason a timely "resignation" might occur.

m360

Okay, this guy talked some serious shit and screwed himself. But's sad to hear that he lost his job – not matter if resigned in the wake of all this always on stuff or if he got fired.

Camp Lo

Banned
One tweet probably would have been a slap on the wrist but conversing like it's Orthsoft and whoever is annoyed with that shit #dealwithit is indefensible. Fuck him, he should have stayed in his lane.

Tangeroo

I fear of a world where we can't say anything in public out of fear of retribution, lynch mobs or public humiliation/shaming*. This stuff works both ways. I think a society should be able to endure unpleasant comments (to a certain degree).

*Not that those terms necessarily describe/work for what happened with Adam Orth.

How do you feel about adhering to a strict NDA as part of a requirement of your job? If you purposefully don't, do you feel you should get a free pass? Several free passes?

Also, this is how the freedom of speech works. You are free to say whatever you want to whomever you want and whatever audience you have are free to do the same. You would prefer a world where we are allowed to say whatever we want without consequence or ownership to those words? Imagine what that world would be like.

Sean

Banned
Weird, I use mine offline all the time.

For gaming or playing back any media that is stored locally on the device already, sure.

But most things that people do on an iPad - browsing the web, posting to social networks, streaming media (Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go, etc) requires internet access.

For gaming or playing back any media that is stored locally on the device already, sure.

But most things that people do on an iPad - browsing the web, posting to social networks, streaming media (Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go, etc) requires internet access.
So you're saying that stuff that needs an internet connection requires the internet? Well, I'd say that was fairly obvious.

I can still use 90% of the apps on my iPhone/iPad while offline, so it invalidates your point.

When I was a kid this stinky weird kid saw me take a marker from my teacher so I could use it at home. The next morning before I put the marker back my teacher with horrible shit breath and a fupa the size of small bean bag searched my bag and found the marker. She yelled at me, informed my mom I was a thief, and gave me detention for a week.

I took the marker so it was my fault right? Yes it was
Does taking a single marker without permission for 16 hours actually matter? No it does not
Should that kid just have kept his mouth shut? Hell yes, this kid thought he was being some sort of hero for his teacher. Instead all it did was make my life suck for a couple weeks and my mom possibly think I was a thief. All because of a mother fucking marker...

What you guys need to realize before you go on one of these heroic crusades for internet justice is this. You guys acted like a bunch a manbabies on the internet, causing this huge uproar because some dude said some dumb shit.

I seriously have no idea how this story is supposed to make anybody on gaf feel bad. All I got out of it is you think gaf is a bunch of manbabies, but you can't even get over the fact that you were punished for something you did and are acting as if you went through some traumatic wrongfully accused man-in-prison shit. And oh no, your teacher had a fupa. Yeah sorry to hear that Van Halen didn't just bust in and start playing "Hot For Teacher" while blondes in bikinis bounce on top of a desk. Horrific.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

Eusis

You can use an iPad offline but that eliminates like 95% of the use cases - most apps require the internet to function properly.
While this is true, it's ALSO a portable device, so being able to use it without the internet is very, very valuable. Admittedly this doesn't apply as much to a comparatively bulky console, but still.

I would bet money that without the always online elements of Diablo 3 that it would have sold half of that.
I really, REALLY doubt that. Maybe I'm seriously underestimating pirates here, but the game would've likely been de facto always online if it had an offline mode anyway: they'd do the same thing as Diablo II and bar your offline character from online play, and to play with friends people would still want to be able to play online. Though I guess I'd need to see the numbers of how many played online with other people versus alone.

Also I can't help but wonder how many are really overestimating how much you even need to be "always online" for content protection. On PC maybe, though it's probably not worth the cost in the end, but on consoles? Unless they keep easily being hacked they should be able to be secured on that front, and if they get hacked these people would probably hack or figure out a way to kill the dialing home unless they ran a good chunk of the game remotely, and then at that point the problem becomes that you may be blowing too much money trying to prevent piracy and thus LOSE more than you would have otherwise.

Xenon

If you work in a large corporation nowadays you have to agree to some code of conduct which almost certainly includes rules regarding social media like Twitter. It also almost very likely that there a number of infractions of said CoC happening daily without incident. The problem here is that Orth breaking the rules resulted in a huge media backlash. He responded directly to a hot topic regarding something that is currently protected by an NDA all while having his Microsoft position attached to his account. He fucked up. I am not happy the man lost his job but it's not shocking.

How do you feel about adhering to a strict NDA as part of a requirement of your job? If you purposefully don't, do you feel you should get a free pass? Several free passes?

Also, this is how the freedom of speech works. You are free to say whatever you want to whomever you want and whatever audience you have are free to do the same. You would prefer a world where we are allowed to say whatever we want without consequence or ownership to those words? Imagine what that world would be like.

How do you know he is under an NDA? How do you know he even knew anything about always-online? How do we all know he was serious when saying #dealwithit? What if he wasn't cognizant of anything xbox next-gen related?

There is this collective assumption here about so many different things that we really know nothing about. Not saying cliffy/jaffe are spot-on, nor do I really disagree at all with Jeff green.

The constant use of 'straw-man' and other rhetorical terms are humorous, because many of discussions are based on an entire bed of possible strawmen.

RobbieH

It's interesting how Cliffy's post fails to acknowledge the failure to adhere to NDA. I don't think that there are many people reveling in the fact that Adam is no longer at Microsoft. Most of us just don't disagree with whatever decision was made (even if it really was Adam's) for the relationship to no longer exist.

For those defending Adam, I'm very glad that you are not in a position that holds information critical to billions of dollars worth of shareholder money.

The NDA isn't getting enough attention. Every Microsoft employee signs one and it usually contains:

For purposes of this paragraph, "Confidential Information" means nonpublic information that Microsoft designates as being confidential or which, under the circumstances surrounding disclosure ought to be treated as confidential by Recipient. "Confidential Information" includes, without limitation, information in tangible or intangible form relating to and/or including released or unreleased Microsoft software or hardware products, the marketing or promotion of any Microsoft product, Microsoft's business policies or practices, and information received from others that Microsoft is obligated to treat as confidential.

It was a breach of contract relating to an unannounced multi-billion dollar product.

Top Bottom