• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After E3, how do you feel about the future of VR?

border

Bethesda -- showed off VR titles for the first time. Doom VR, Skyrim VR, Fallout VR. All of them look like they could be solid experiences, but ports of old games don't really convince me that they are dedicated to VR as a platform. To them it's just a way to make some extra bucks using old games. Still, I am interested to see what people think of Skyrim VR. It's one of only a few games that promises a 10-30+ hour experience in a total VR environment. Given that Bethesda has had performance issues in Fallout and Skyrim, I am moderately concerned that they will be able to deliver the 60-120 FPS performance that VR demands.

Ubisoft -- last year they showed up with Werewolves Within, Star Trek, and Eagle Flight......all of which were pretty striking efforts that looked like they were internally developed. This year we just got some weird vanity project from Elijah Wood, where it seems that Ubisoft is more publisher than developer. They've been one of the premiere AAA publishers for VR content, so to see them scaling back is disheartening.

Sony -- still committed to VR, but the showing here was probably worse than last year. They still have some internally developed games, but they weren't showing off major 1st party or 3rd party IPs like they were last year (Call of Duty, Until Dawn, Batman, Star Wars). This makes it seem like VR interest amongst most major publishers is kinda dwindling. I appreciate that they are bringing games like SuperHot VR to PSVR, but I'd have a lot more faith if they weren't just scalping ports of projects that other companies funded. Gran Turismo Sport presumably still has a VR mode, yet they didn't talk about that at all in their conference. Why not? Maybe the reactions to Drive Club VR have kinda soured them on pushing VR car racing experiences.

Microsoft -- they flirted with the idea of an Oculus partnership last year, and explicitly mentioned VR in their Scorpio promotional video. This year it turns out they are taking a wait-and-see approach on VR. At a bare minimum, it will be at least 16-18 months before they release a headset......but likely much longer. Phil Spencer seems to think that wireless headsets are necessary, at the very least.

Overall, I think it's hard not to come out of the show a bit worried about where VR is or is not headed. Prior to the release of Oculus/Vive/PSVR, there was just this monumental faith that once people got their hands on VR it would change hearts and minds. But here we are 18-24 months later and not many hearts and minds have shifted. Goalposts have already been moved -- "Oh well VR needs to be cheaper and it needs to have wireless headsets!" But there already are cheaper wireless options (Gear VR) and those don't seem to be turning a lot of heads either.

I'm not really convinced that the current audience of VR enthusiasts can sustain software developers until the hardware is mature enough to appeal to a wide audience (if such a thing is even going to happen). It seems like this technology might just need another 10-20 years of development, during which time developers may just give up on VR titles.

Weetrick

Glad I'm not an early adopter. Nothing seems worth the high price of admission to me. The future looks uncertain, but I don't think it will stick around in it's current form.

Steel

Banned
I own a vr headset and play vr games on the regular, so... Yeah. E3 was good. With stuff like gunheart and all the annoucements at e3 on the immediate horizon and tons of games already slated with more being prepped for announcement I have more VR games I'm looking forward to than non-VR games.

It honestly looks like Bethesda is gonna be having VR versions of most of their games heading forward, too.

Arizona Sunshine, Superhot, Skyrim and a small Spider-Man experience are coming to PSVR. That's about all I needed to justify my purchase and continued interest.

I love that multiple publishers are trying to support it. It is just going to take time to build up a base, but I think the future is still bright.

Exodust

Banned
I thought it was going to be a bust. And I have no reason not to think of it as a bust now.

I wouldn't compare it to motion controls, mostly because motion controls were popular outside of youtube vids for a little while.

dc89

As the OP mentions iirc Phil Spencer said some interesting stuff during his interview with giant bomb about the need for a wireless headset and how the experience isn't that great for those spectating, I think the scenario he gave was a family who's already annoyed kids spend a long time on consoles and VR makes them more disconnected.

Jeff (Giant Bomb) also said it was strange to see lots of multiplayer VR games at E3, he felt the demo would be the first and last time he played those games due to lack of install base.

ranmafan

Honestly I was most excited by the VR titles that were announced at e3 than pretty much anything else. Skyrim VR is one of my all time dream games, so hearing that announced was a huge surprise. Also glad to be able to play superhot vr on psvr soon. And the other titles announced really did interest me. I'm glad we saw support for vr and I'm still confident in it. Have no regrets about owning one nor am I worried about its future at this time. On the contrary I'm super excited for the future of vr after e3.

PooBone

Pretty meh. I don't have a headset, I planned to get a PSVR until I saw the post-launch lineup. We'll see what happens if MS ever jumps in. Right now, I dunno.

Hawk269

I still think it is the infancy stage and has not found it's legs. The stuff some companies are doing is neat, but I think we are still a few years away from it being viable. Going wireless is probably the biggest thing, but unless the software is there as well it would be mute. So for me, it is both a hardware and software issue and neither are where they need to be at the moment and it will be 2-3 years or longer before it is viable.

ranmafan

As the OP mentions iirc Phil Spencer said some interesting stuff during his interview with giant bomb about the need for a wireless headset and how the experience isn't that great for those spectating, I think the scenario he gave was a family who's already annoyed kids spend a long time on consoles and VR makes them more disconnected.

Ironic to me considering one of my favorite vr experiences so far has been sonys playroom vr, where families can play together and experience the game with a vr player in a extremely enjoyable way. The times I've had playing that game with my kids and other family members, where they are playing on the tv versus me on vr, shows there are ways to handle those scenarios very well. Granted it's probably a little different than what he was talking about but there are ways to make the disconnect of vr less through unique interaction with other players outside the vr world like playroom does.

Z..

Optimistic for the not-near future but as for right now it's almost funny how much of a non event the whole thing is.

Some Nobody

It's not *the* thing yet, but I love that it got a ton of support. The tech will be responsible for some of the cooler things that will happen over the next twenty years, and gaming will help the tech penetrate the mass market. Not on a wide level, but certainly a lot more than it would if we were just all sitting around waiting for that perfect app to finally hit.

For it to truly reach everyone though, it's going to have to do a lot more than be "cheaper than I thought, but still expensive". It'll either need that killer app, or need to be included with the base system for a reasonable price all around.

Also, until its wireless its going to be a hassle, but tech always starts out a hassle and gets simpler over time.

The moss demo I had at E3 blew me away. It looked okay but actually playing it was wonderful. Their attention to detail and animation made the world really enjoyable to be in.

Probably my favorite experience at E3.

spock

Honestly, I wish there were more hype, interest, and momentum from the larger public. The way things are going, we can only hope that future tech advances create a new wave of hype and interest since right no it's not looking good.

Falcs

Banned
I was mildly interested in VR before I had tried it. Then I got a free Samsung VR with my Galaxy S8. Played with it for 10mins and now I couldn't care less about VR.

Come back to me when VR actually feels like I'm inside a computer game pls.

Loudninja

NMFried

I want Moss on Vive :(

But to not port-beg, I'm cautiously optimistic. Sony and Bethesda's commitment is impressive, though if that will sell units remains to be seen. I'm excited because I already have a Vive, but I'm sure that the games announced will be the tipping point for many.

WaterAstro

Microsoft is all about AR, but I tried the Hololens at some convention and it wasn't great.

Realistically, Hololens can do VR and AR, but not sure what the price is going to be when it comes out.

Iced Arcade

I don't hate it but I have no interest in slapping down a couple hundred for 4 or 5 full games and a hand full of mini games.

imo it's along the lines of 3D TV's being expensive and even more so less of a shared experience.

Pantz

It's already great and the future has huge potential. I only make 10K USD per year and I can afford both VR and 4K gaming. So I personally don't understand the excuses.

I think it all looks very good. I really liked seeing Sony's commitment to VR giving it a nice big section in their conference. That being said, I'm ok waiting for the tech and software to mature a bit, there was nothing that made me feel that I had to get out and buy a VR unit ASAP.

Skeeter49

If we're talking about E3 conference coverage, I thought Sony's VR stuff was better than last year. Even if it was paced better last year, especially with that RE7 VR reveal.

The only First Party VR game revealed at E3 last year was Farpoint, the rest were most likely timed, like Batman, VR exclusives. I felt Sony did a better job this E3 of having VR games that I'll only be able to get on PSVR, that are in some way made internally/ through Xdev support and therefore not on an Oculus/ HTC Vive. If we're talking about something high profile, I guess that's disappointing since a lot of them are new IP/ spin offs of smaller titles like Until Dawn, and aren't going to compare to RE7, Batman, Star Wars.

Bethesda and Ubisoft were fine, Bethesda's was more showing off what they showed previously, so it wasn't that exciting. It's good that Ubisoft is trying new things and is committed to VR.

I'm sold on VR, but a Switch is higher priority for me. The only thing that might push me over the edge is something like Resident Evil Remake 2 in VR, I wouldn't be able to resist both RE7 and RE2 Remake in VR. Or if SuperMassive commits to an Until Dawn 2 playable in VR.

zeshakag

To me VR is there but not 'there' there. Give it one more Geforce iteration (GTX 11xx) and I'll go full dive if I have the money.

I still think VR is going to be amazing and really change the way we experience media. There will be some cool video games but I think passive experiences will be more prolific and impressive. The tech is so young and its already so impressive. I can't wait to see what the second hardware iteration is like. Can't wait.

Wollan

Surprisingly strong VR showing with some nice surprises like the Until Dawn prequel, FF15 Fishing game that is very solid, a really polished adventure game in Moss and others.

Bethesda VR lines were full for the day within ten minutes and their games seem really well retrofitted with all that has been learned in VR so far. I bailed when it was confirmed I still had 4-5 hours wait but games were looking good.

I agree that VR won't become big before it's wireless and even more plug and play etc. It's a slow climb. But there's great stuff here for early adapters.

Joystick

Over 30 new experiences have been announced for PlayStation VR in the last two weeks, and for the last few months, as a PSVR owner, I just can't keep up with new games that I really want to play - hole in wallet and time.

Before E3 I was moderately positive about the future of VR. Now I am slightly more positive, though there are good stories coming out of discussions with larger devs that are still getting into VR that while positive haven't yet lit the VR world on fire. I want it to succeed because it is a transformative gaming experience - a holy crap moment when you first start - so I'm hoping that devs continue to support and innovate.

The biggest disappointment was having no first party announcement from Sony. They have, by my estimate, at least 5 VR games in development. So I'll be watching the remaining conferences this year for news.

Just give me DREAMS in VR. Do it. Now.

kyser73

Microsoft is all about AR, but I tried the Hololens at some convention and it wasn't great.

Realistically, Hololens can do VR and AR, but not sure what the price is going to be when it comes out.

Apart from the OEM VR partners MS announced at CES, whom Phil appears to have thrown under a bus.

OT - I feel pretty darn good TBH. My PSVR represents ~30% of my overall playtime in any given month, and I'm especially happy that Supermassive are delivering both an Until Dawn -style branching narrative game, and a Time-Crisis type shooter.

Polybius is currently my main VR timesink - absolutely amazing game to play in any way, but in VR it becomes something incredible.

border

It's great for what it is now. Once it can go wireless it will officially be a game changer

If PSVR/Vive/Oculus were wireless with no latency issues, I don't think it would help that much. Wireless headsets are going to be inherently better than wired ones, but the problem with VR runs much deeper than that. GearVR is wireless, but doesn't seem to be generating a lot of excitement. To be fair, GearVR does not have a motion-control setup, but even if it did I can't see it really capturing the popular imagination.

Pachimari

VR will never catch up, and I still find it funny how the supporters was hell bent on it being the next big thing, and it being different from 3D and motion controls, but nothing indicates that it'll be different this time. VR was and will be a fucking fad and a niche product for the nerds...

Quasar

I'm reassured I'd say.

On the other hand, given MS's pushing of VR on PC lately, I am surprised by the Xbox VR messaging.

void666

Banned
Still not interested. It's just another fad, like motion controls and 3D. But i have to admit it has more potential than those other things. But the technology is not there yet.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I was mildly interested in VR before I had tried it. Then I got a free Samsung VR with my Galaxy S8. Played with it for 10mins and now I couldn't care less about VR.

Come back to me when VR actually feels like I'm inside a computer game pls.

I have a PS4 Pro/PSVR and a Pixel XL/Daydream VR.
The two are like night and day. Positional tracking is a big deal.
What's really weird is that my mobile setup has a 1440p screen but far worse screen door effect than PSVR.

Every person I've shown PSVR to has been blown away.

Top Bottom