• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After E3, how do you feel about the future of VR?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
We need wireless VR headsets. It's a pain in the ass to even play a good VR game on the PSVR. You know I think I don't even care about VR anymore.

Jimrpg

I finally tried out VR for the first time recently. It was only a Samsung mobile VR unit, and obviously not as good as the real thing like HTC Vive, but at least I was able to understand the concept.

I have to say I was pretty disappointed to be honest. I'm still hyped to get VR, but I'm not touching it at the price point it is at now. I can't believe its US$800 for a Vive still and that's like more than a year of games for me.

Specifically what I was disappointed was that I felt like it was what I expected, I didn't get that immersion feeling, rather it was more just a theatre screen that moved around. It was definitely different to traditional gaming, but there wasn't really enough immersion there to make me feel like I was actually inside the game. I guess that could change with a Vive.

With the future of VR, I think its still going to be super niche and I don't think it will ever take off. It had its chance last year but at US$400 for the PSVR, that's not really something that I would still consider cheap, especially when you need a PS4 on top of that. If it takes too long to get a userbase, developers are just going to make traditional games, because that's just a way bigger market. I also feel like VR while its going to be great for some type of games, its not going to be the case for others and that's where traditional hardware is going to beat it, because PCs/consoles can play pretty much anything.

mrlion

Still the same. Its still a niche to me and no games for it really appeal to me. I mean cmon Fallout 4 VR really?

ChouGoku

At first I was dissapointed because my space VR dream was not fufilled. Megaton Rainfall, No Man's Sky, and Elite dangerous are not coming for PSVR atm. However E3 was the point where I was going to see if my VR purchase was worth it. I am very excited for VR for the rest of the year. Skyrim, Doom, Arizona Sunshine, Archangel, Thesus, Moss, Ace Combat , Superhot, and The Inpatient. Lol VR needs an expensive PC and an expensive VR headset or is a console that needs another console to use. VR is going to be a slow burn, but what a start, I just need my space dream to be fulfilled.

Still a gimmick.

I'm glad that companies are still making some cool experiences foe the people that invested but it won't achieve mass penetration or become a major studio's primary focus any time soon.

oni-link

I'm indifferent towards VR

When it has an abundance of must have software, and a reasonable price point for what it is, then I'll be interested

I'm not sure it will reach that point for years though, right now it seems to have a lot in common with the Wii in that most of the games seem like novel and shallow experiences

Jimrpg

What would they need to change to PSVR for you to consider it consumer friendly? It is literally just plug in and play.

Tries faux VR on a phone, dismissed the whole concept.

I didn't dismiss it. I still need to try HTC Vive, but its impossible for me to find one because the country I live in don't have any. I managed to stumble onto the Samsung VR at the shops on holiday in Australia. I am disappinted in the VR phone version though.

I'm extremely happy with the number and variety of titles announced and shown at E3. Superhot, Moss and Skyrim are all day-one purchases for me.

This year has already been solid as far as releases go with RE7, Star Trek, and several other lower profile releases. The new releases look to keep that release schedule going for quite a while.

The Bethesda announcements were big surprises for me, and should be decent full game experiences. I'm personally gonna love just exploring some of those worlds.

Also, the NPD charting of Farpoint is also another indicator of success that will hopefully encourage more developers.

Anyone who looked at the E3 VR announcements and saw doom and gloom for VR sector is being ridiculous, and most likely just seeing what they want to see.

Xyzzy J

Banned
I feel worse about it with every passing year. I wasn't particularly excited for it early on and I haven't bought any tech. You can hardly call me an enthusiast. Nevertheless, I still feel dismayed by the industry's promise of how amazing it will be. It wouldn't be so bad if everyone held back and didn't do the usual teraflops-esque song and dance routine about how amazing VR is. But that's exactly what they've done.

With every shit-tier VR sandbox dressed as a video game, VR gaming becomes more embarrassing. From my point of view, it's starting to look like an awkward, cringe-inducing cousin to mainstream video games that might go nowhere because developers and publishers are overselling it and eroding all the goodwill they started with.

Human history is littered with technologies people thought would break new ground but just ran aground instead. VR will absolutely improve but will it improve fast enough to sell well before all the funding dries up? I'm not so sure.

creatchee

Headset VR will never have mass adoption.

Holograms viewable through independent glasses or a Full on Holodeck are the only things akin to VR that will bring in droves of people AKA the casual market.

Direct cortex stimulation, although probably far off for consumer use, is the end goal and will be universally adopted when the price becomes feasible.

Lotto

My bad eyes are preventing me from using my Vive as much as I would like. Don't think it's dead or whatever skeptics spouting doom and gloom, it's just trudging along and that's okay. I'm looking forward to whatever Valve said they're working on and me getting better eyes before I dive back in.

pachura

What's really weird is that my mobile setup has a 1440p screen but far worse screen door effect than PSVR.

What's so weird about that? The screendoor effect is about empty spaces between separate pixels, not about the resolution. You can have less pixels, but bigger, filling the screen more tightly.

JimiNutz

Banned
I'm still excited by the idea but don't think there are enough games out, or even on the horizon, that justify the price of a headset.

For me a new TV and maybe even a more powerful console (Xbox One X or PS4 Pro) are more appealing to me at this time...which is a shame because I was actually really excited for VR and almost bought PSVR at launch (glad I didn't now though).

Headset VR will never have mass adoption.

Holograms viewable through independent glasses or a Full on Holodeck are the only things akin to VR that will bring in droves of people AKA the casual market.

Direct cortex stimulation, although probably far off for consumer use, is the end goal and will be universally adopted when the price becomes feasible.

I feel this way. I'm really just waiting on for the ghost in the shell type of vr to happen in real life so I can spend my retirement years in it.

99Luffy

Banned
What would they need to change to PSVR for you to consider it consumer friendly? It is literally just plug in and play.

Tries faux VR on a phone, dismissed the whole concept.
I dunno about plug and play. I needed to look at a youtube video to set up all those wires.

Fredrik

I feel like it's slowly dying outside of the mobile space.

If stationary VR is to survive in the long run devs need to put their AAA games by their top teams on VR as exclusives made from the ground up for VR. They essentially need to force us to jump in, just as with any new platform, not just make VR versions of non-VR games or yanky VR modes or lending out popular IPs for B-team to make VR games. VR needs AAA exclusives.

And the prices on the hardware needs to go down.

And wires need to go away.

This is my take on the VR situation at least.

As for Sony, I think they will support PSVR this year and maybe next year but I expect them to start dropping the support after that. I don't think they know how to support secondary platforms. They showed some games at this E3 but not a single one I felt like I wanted enough to push me to buy new hardware.

Before E3 I was a little worried. Now I'm pretty confident at least for the rest of this year. There is at least one game coming every other month or so that I really want to play, which is all I every really wanted from VR. VR is like a weekend type thing for me, not something I can do regularly. But...

If Dreams comes with VR, then goodbye real world.

I was mildly interested in VR before I had tried it. Then I got a free Samsung VR with my Galaxy S8. Played with it for 10mins and now I couldn't care less about VR.

Come back to me when VR actually feels like I'm inside a computer game pls.

I finally tried out VR for the first time recently. It was only a Samsung mobile VR unit, and obviously not as good as the real thing like HTC Vive, but at least I was able to understand the concept.

You both need to try a real actual VR headset. They are night and day over the phone crap ones.

It's like riding a tricycle and saying I know a Corvette will be the same thing. If you get the chance, at least try a real one.

Camaway2

Honestly, How could you compare the launch titles of last year that have been built over a long time to the post year one. I thought the conference showed an healthy amount to titles for what is still a technology in its preliminary stages.

I am also growing increasingly tired of this constant bashing of people that don't own a VR headset, yet feel the need to go into all VR threads to claim "it's on life support", "it doesn't interest me one bit"' "it's like motion controls", etc. Are you feeling threatened by change? Are you really planning to spend the rest of your life playing the same old FIFA and Call of Duty in 8K, your ass on the couch with a revised version of the same controller you had for 25 years now?

Still a gimmick.

I'm glad that companies are still making some cool experiences foe the people that invested but it won't achieve mass penetration or become a major studio's primary focus any time soon.

I view VR as a viable genre of gaming into itself. The people thinking it will take over traditional are over thinking it. It's not meant to take over but to supplement. It can exist in its own way like a separate genre.

itshutton

Now I have it, I'm happy with the experiences we are getting. Would I invest in one if I didn't already own one? Probably not.

Rosstimus

Banned
Poor showing at the E3 press conferences. Aside from Moss, Sony's VR lineup was uninspired. Years-old Bethesda games are mildly interesting, but clearly meant to turn a quick buck and are obviously less cool than original content.

I was at E3 and had the chance to stop by Survios's booth and talk to one of their reps for a bit (didn't get to play anything as the line was already hours long as is the story of E3 this year, but I digress). They have Raw Data, a really cool, polished shooter already under their belt, and an innovative looking VR platformer/racing game called Sprint Vector in the works. There is definitely some interesting stuff coming out on the PC side of VR, just not from the major, established devs and seemingly nothing on consoles.

Eumi

Literally no different. There still doesn't seem to be that one big VR game coming. You know, the thing that's gonna push it to a large consumer base.

E3 had a wack of new good looking games announced so im excited.

Ive got a psvr and its an absolute blast for gaming, but imo the screen door effect/resolution/picture quality is what holds it back from being worth it for anything else or really being convincing vr. One day if the screens and power enable us to see quality like what we see on 4k tv's on wireless vr headsets then it'll be worth every penny and I have no doubt would be very popular. I'd love to watch sports events in vr, or stunting like skydiving, etc. If the quality were flawless. The possibilities are endless.

I view VR as a viable genre of gaming into itself. The people thinking it will take over traditional are over thinking it. It's not meant to take over but to supplement. It can exist in its own way like a separate genre.
VR is too expensive, both to buy and to develop games for, and will never draw in enough of a market to make it successful. Kinect will have been more successful in the end.

MadeULook

VR is really neat but until that price comes down I don't see it catching on at all, but it's leaving the niche that it has carved out for itself. There is some neat stuff being done with the tech but I don't expect that interest to last. It's simply too limited in it's current form for long lasting interest in my opinion, outside of some experimental titles here and there.

I wouldn't be surprised if it faded out within the next few years. However, I also wouldn't be shocked to see interest revitalized once it comes down to a consumer friendly price tag and the tech gets more advanced.

dottme

I didn't look too much at the VR game. But when I saw Doom VR with really limited move, it was looking really bad for a Doom game.
It looks like they still haven't solved the base issues of VR.

I want PSVR but I don't have the space for it. Do you need basically a full room to use it? How many games use just the regular controller and is it comfortable for users with glasses?

I loved what I saw at E3 for VR games but I'm worried I'll be stuck with a super expensive extension I'll hardly use.

Poor showing at the E3 press conferences. Aside from Moss, Sony's VR lineup was uninspired. Years-old Bethesda games are mildly interesting, but clearly meant to turn a quick buck and are obviously less cool than original content.

I was at E3 and had the chance to stop by Survios's booth and talk to one of their reps for a bit (didn't get to play anything as the line was already hours long as is the story of E3 this year, but I digress). They have Raw Data, a really cool, polished shooter already under their belt, and an innovative looking VR platformer/racing game called Sprint Vector in the works. There is definitely some interesting stuff coming out on the PC side of VR, just not from the major, established devs and seemingly nothing on consoles.

Raw Data is coming to PSVR.

Loudninja

All announced at E3 for the PSVR

I want PSVR but I don't have the space for it. Do you need basically a full room to use it? How many games use just the regular controller and is it comfortable for users with glasses?

I loved what I saw at E3 for VR games but I'm worried I'll be stuck with a super expensive extension I'll hardly use.

PSVR doesn't really allow you to move much. It's not like Vive with room scale. There's a small 1-2m squared area you can move within. But it does need to be 1-2m from the camera.

Keep in mind you can set up your VR station anywhere it will fit. It doesn't need to be right in front of your TV. I also game most often in my swivel chair. Most games don't need you to stand.

SPCTRE

I - still - feel it's a completely new medium, and people still have not been able to sufficiently solve

a) the inherent problems in marketing (price, demo-ability, hardware as well as space requirements)
b) how to design compelling software unique to the medium

E3 hasn't really changed my feelings on VR but rather confirmed them. I am still rooting for VR, but I'm not optimistic in the short term.

KOHIPEET

I can only speak for PSVR, and I feel positive about it. Looking forward to GTS VR, Ace Combat VR, supermassive games' title and honestly, a dozen of other titles. Farpoint and the aim controller gave my faith back.

(Also, I already have a huge backlog as I don't have time to play)

EDIT: p.s I can see a minor pice drop and an all-in-one bundle for this november.

I'm happy with how PSVR is going so far and with games like GT Sport, Doom VFR, Moss, Super Hot, The Inpatient (Until Dawn Prequel) Skyrim VR and No Heroes Allowed, to name a few, it seems like PSVR is growing at a steady pace.

Fredrik

Honestly, How could you compare the launch titles of last year that have been built over a long time to the post year one. I thought the conference showed an healthy amount to titles for what is still a technology in its preliminary stages.

I am also growing increasingly tired of this constant bashing of people that don't own a VR headset, yet feel the need to go into all VR threads to claim "it's on life support", "it doesn't interest me one bit"' "it's like motion controls", etc. Are you feeling threatened by change? Are you really planning to spend the rest of your life playing the same old FIFA and Call of Duty in 8K, your ass on the couch with a revised version of the same controller you had for 25 years now?
I don't feel threatened in any way. I wish I would though because that would mean that there were must have titles there.

The problem for me is the high price, the wires and the lack if real AAA exclusives. From Sony's perspective, The Last of Us 2, God of War, Days Gone, Gran Turismo Sport could've all been PSVR exclusives, made from the ground up for VR, that would've got people to jump in left and right. But they're PS4 exclusives, possibly with some VR modes if we're lucky, and people will buy PS4s to play those games, not PSVRs. That's the real problem. Force people to jump in and they'll start jumping in, give them the option to stay on the fence and they'll stay on the fence.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
E3 sure did not provide a boost. After the disastrous sales of Vive and especially Rift, the much lower than expected sales of PSVR (the cheapest VR entry) I don't think VR will generate a meaningful market share. The game support will mostly be in the form of what Bethesda does, remasters of older games. The major problem of VR will always be that you have to experience it to understand the appeal and when you do a majority gets sick. VR should've solved those problems first, now the damage is done. It's gonna die a slow death because if it works for you, it's great, but I think Oculus will be shut down within two years.

Metal B

I feel the same as before. I own a Vive and everybody, who ask me about it, i repeat: "Wait". Even so I already had some great experience with the device, the technology and software isn't ready yet. It will not become mainstream accessable until major problems are resolved and new ideas are developed.
My list of imporant missing features:
- better screens
- a larger FOV
- lighter
- Wireless
- Eye-tracking (for graphics, better ui, greater user-experience, feedback systems and the social-factor)
- better controllers (Valve's new controller look already better, but the force-feedback gloves are in my opinion the best solution. Escpailly if they could simulate other controllers).
- Body-tracking. Not only for a better feeling of presence, we use more then our hands to control our surroundings. I saw people, trying to use their feet to move objects on the grounds, hold things under their arms or close doors with their elbows (the Vive sensors look very promising, they just need to be cheaper and maybe smaller).
- Technics to fight motion sicknesses. I own my Vive for almost two years now and I still get sick. So i will not be able to play Fallout 4 or Skyrim. (I see promise in walking in place using body-tracking. There was a demo, which allowed me to actually jog through a landscape for long periods of time and almost never get motion-sick. It uses a not very precise technic without body-tracking and I imagine, there is a big promise to this idea).
- developers need to learn basic do and don't about the limitations of the medium. New medium and technology always has this exciting times, where we need to learn, how to actually effectively use it.

For all my points developers and companies already work on solutions, so there will be bright future ahead for this new medium. Just two or three years from now.

Xyzzy J

Banned
I'm much more confident about VR as a non-full-body experience, I should add. Even when I tried Oculus at PAX like, three years ago, it was a great and engaging experience in the games displayed to have the camera tethered (fully or partially) to my head movements.

Top Bottom