• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After E3, how do you feel about the future of VR?

VARIA

Just like the Virtual Boy, I'll wait for PSVR to hit the clearance bins before I buy it. Shouldn't be long, as amazing and immersive as PSVR is, it just doesn't stand a chance as it is now (underpowered, overpriced, isolated and wired).

I got RE7 and Farpoint this year thus far and they are amazing.

Now I get to look forward to Skyrim, Doom, and Super Massive next VR game The Inpatient for PSVR, which is apparently part of the Until Dawn universe. These are all more full gaming experiences than the short, though awesome, VR experiences like Batman VR titles of last year.

Ace Combat and Gran Turismo has VR modes, so that's cool too.

I'm pretty excited.

I actually feel more excited for VR after this years E3. While last year we got bigger names such as Star Wars and Batman, they were still short experiences. This year is showing us full gaming experiences in VR.

Usobuko

Banned
I seen quite a few VR push in other industry on my local news. Medical, Tourism etc.

Gaming wise, it will find its niche.

I've yet to have someone dismissing vr convince me it's not because they're poor and can't afford it lol. Everyone I've demoed it to have been blown away.

Anyway, I thought some great stuff was shown off at e3; certainly enough to fill the gaps between major non-vr releases!

I'm not feeling great about it. Microsoft staying out of the game seems to confirm my fears about its near term prospects.

It'll have its place in the market. But so do racing wheels.

E: the other dagger is how good gear VR (and the like) is turning out to be for passive media...

VR will never catch up, and I still find it funny how the supporters was hell bent on it being the next big thing, and it being different from 3D and motion controls, but nothing indicates that it'll be different this time. VR was and will be a fucking fad and a niche product for the nerds...

VR is still the future, it's nothing like the 3D fad and everything is different this time.

The type of person stupid enough to doubt VR is the same type of person that used to consider HD resolution a gimmick/fad when that was "the next big thing"

jviggy43

Same as Ive been feeling; its going to be amazing years down the line when it gets figured out and the tech is there but for now is totally uninteresting to me in its current state.

I assumed Sony will already Vita PSVR but they actually showed something so it felt better than expected - still not interested in buying any of current helmets.

wondermega

I was kinda lukewarm to the VR presentations at E3. After the novelty and excitement of the last few years' shows, prior to legit hardware being released, this really felt kinda yawnworthy. Not bad, but far from thrilling - and I didn't see anything I was genuinely excited about.

Keep in mind I've had a PSVR about 6mo and a Vive half that time, and feel extremely well-served with content since then. The people who are shitting on it the most still probably haven't seen the upper echelon of what's on offer. Superhot VR on Vive gave me the same "oh my god" feelings I experienced when I first played Portal.

Cloud7

I tried out Gran Turismo Sport VR at E3 and it was downright terrible. That's why Sony has barely talked about it.

There were so many jaggies on the screen that I thought I was playing GT1 on the PSone, I kid you not. It was horrible. Plus, in several turns the camera shifted to a different perspective automatically instead of staying with me. It was almost nauseating. It was a terrible experience.

The future of VR itself though? It's up in the air. If they can get more AAA titles on board and play well, it has a shot. If it's still mostly experiences and unknown indie titles then I have my doubts.

Nick

Cautiously optimistic. Some of the games looked super great (Moss for example), but you can tell Sony is still tepid about supporting it all the way. I'm hoping we don't get another Vita situation on our hands.

border

There was a time when I thought that Sony could sustain PSVR just by finding developers that were working on 60FPS games, and convincing those people to support VR. Resident Evil 7 kinda changed my outlook though. If you play RE7 in VR, you're at a pretty obvious disadvantage. You feel more immersed, but image quality is absolutely terrible and the limitations on your movement and turning speed make you feel really gimped. I don't think that adding VR modes to popular games is really going to work, if the consequence is that players actually perform worse when they are using VR.

Laieon

Seems like it will continue to be a niche thing unless it somehow gets a lot more affordable.

I'd rather spend the money I could spend on VR stuff on something like a curved monitor or 4k TV.

I've yet to try VR, but I also feel like it would be instant headache material.

I seen quite a few VR push in other industry on my local news. Medical, Tourism etc.

Could see this too. Feel like it would be good in education.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I'm not feeling great about it. Microsoft staying out of the game seems to confirm my fears about its near term prospects.

It'll have its place in the market. But so do racing wheels.

E: the other dagger is how good gear VR (and the like) is turning out to be for passive media...

Microsoft is actually releasing their headsets few months later from now on PC, and then the console next year.

Trojan X

Banned
I think VR is great but the ultimate problem is that the game developers, in general, are yet to create a game that will deliver gameplay that is distinctive and unique to VR and cannot be received via normal TV/screen. The developers are using VR as an enhanced visual experiences rather than delivering a unique gameplay experience.

That's the problem and the ultimate reason why VR end up calling VR a potential fad or saying, "the technology is not ready yet" when the truth is the technology is no longer the issue, the issue is the mind of the developers. Games such as Thumper is a prime example of this, a visual enhancer but does nothing in respect to gameplay.

Right now, if I wanted to go VR then I will get it for racing and cockpit style games such as flight, mech and so on. Project Cars 2 on VR is one of the most incredible things that you can experience, especially when it rains.

border

I tried out Gran Turismo Sport VR at E3 and it was downright terrible. That's why Sony has barely talked about it.

There were so many jaggies on the screen that I thought I was playing GT1 on the PSone, I kid you not. It was horrible.

Drive Club VR looked terrible as well. If Sony doesn't have the guts to push VR for Gran Turismo, I'm not surprised to hear that GT Sport VR is similarly disappointing. We're probably only a few years away from VR HMDs that can support ultra HD resolutions, but that will require enthusiasts to sink even more money into the hobby.

Car racing is the best case/use for VR though

I think the problem is that car racing games highlight all the worst image quality issues with VR. With an ever-changing horizon, graphics look very jaggy and swimmy.

GReeeeN

To me VR is there but not 'there' there. Give it one more Geforce iteration (GTX 11xx) and I'll go full dive if I have the money.

why?, the current high end cards can run any VR game maxed without a single issue, they can even run up to 3x super sampling on most games

Animagne

Why would Sony talk about GT Sport in their conference? They did not talk about games comming out soon in the conference by design (iirc, uncharted was the only game that was already announced, coming in 2017 and shown in press conference). GT Sport got a trailer at the end of preshow and that was all it was going to get.
It felt that they dedicated more time to VR announcements too, because last year they usually had nothing to show for VR or just mentioned it in passing (like with resident evil).

NolbertoS

I think VR got abit of a boost from Sony's 3rd parties. But I still think Sony got scraps for VR. Nothing awe inspiring or must have game for VR. Regarding thr peripheral. Unless it sells for $199-259 someday, it won't catch on with the casuals.

There was a time when I thought that Sony could sustain PSVR just by finding developers that were working on 60FPS games, and convincing those people to support VR. Resident Evil 7 kinda changed my outlook though. If you play RE7 in VR, you're at a pretty obvious disadvantage. You feel more immersed, but image quality is absolutely terrible and the limitations on your movement and turning speed make you feel really gimped. I don't think that adding VR modes to popular games is really going to work, if the consequence is that players actually perform worse when they are using VR.

I'm playing through RE7 now, IQ is terrible for outside but alright in the house. Control issues? I really don't have issues with movement, you can do all the same movements in VR, they were smart enough to include comfort settings to not take head move control from you so it does quick black outs, but I'm running in the game just fine, you can even still do the 180 turn and aiming even more precise with the head set than even I would with the dual shock. Plus RE7 is more inline with the older RE as you aren't constantly in a shooting action game like 4 to 6 were, it's a slower paced game to begin with. Being immerse makes a bigger difference in RE7. Even after playing it on a Pro didn't have the same effect on a tv afterwards, it was a cleaner looking I give it that.

Trojan X

Banned
Drive Club VR looked terrible as well. If Sony doesn't have the guts to push VR for Gran Turismo, I'm not surprised to hear that GT Sport VR is similarly disappointing. We're probably only a few years away from VR HMDs that can support ultra HD resolutions, but that will require enthusiasts to sink even more money into the hobby.

I think the problem is that car racing games highlight all the worst image quality issues with VR. With an ever-changing horizon, graphics look very jaggy and swimmy.

Sounds like that the issue on the PlayStation side. Project Cars 2 using Vive was Godly.

border

I'm playing through RE7 now, IQ is terrible for outside but alright in the house. Control issues? I really don't have issues with movement, you can do all the same movements in VR, they were smart enough to include comfort settings to not take head move control from you so it does quick black outs, but I'm running in the game just fine, you can even still do the 180 turn and aiming even more precise with the head set than even I would with the dual shock. Plus RE7 is more inline with the older RE as you aren't constantly in a shooting action game like 4 to 6 were, it's a slower paced game to begin with. Being immerse makes a bigger difference in RE7.

RE7 works in VR, to be sure. But the boss fights are pretty rough. I thought the spider boss was particularly nasty, in an environment where turn/movement speed are somewhat limited.

iratA

VR will never catch up, and I still find it funny how the supporters was hell bent on it being the next big thing, and it being different from 3D and motion controls, but nothing indicates that it'll be different this time. VR was and will be a fucking fad and a niche product for the nerds...

Trolling/hate behavior....Mods please

JordanN

Banned
Sony just needs to keep VR alive long enough up until they announce PS5.

That would give them a chance to re-reveal VR a second time but this time with even more power. So I'm very confident in it.

border

Sounds like that the issue on the PlayStation side. Project Cars 2 using Vive was Godly.

It's entirely possible that Evolution Studios was forced to lower the internal rendering resolution to sub-HD levels just to keep Drive Club at 60FPS. I'm not really that much of a stickler for image quality, but the game just looked terrible in VR. Maybe part of the problem is that they had to take a game designed for 30FPS and somehow double its framerate.

I hope Polyphony Digital has a better solution for maximizing performance.

KingBroly

Banned
I don't feel like it's going to move at the rate developers want it to for years, so interest will die out over the next year.

Arulan

I think it's an incredible technology, and is getting better by the day.

I also think that that GAF's general negative reception to it (taken statstically) is in many ways due to it being at odds with what is most popular here: consoles. That is mainstream products that are expected to sell several millions at launch in order to succeed, with huge advertising campaigns behind them, and large AAA productions.

VR isn't going anywhere, meaning it's here to stay. This is just the pre-first generation. E3 showed exactly what most in the industry already know, there is no ROI in VR. If you have pre existing assets you can reuse them in VR, if you have a game in development you can probably tweak a couple off things to make it payable in VR otherwise noone is spending more than a few 100k.
Bookmark this thread and look back at it when the PS5 and next Xbox release and it will be a completely different picture than today. VR/AR is simply too immersive and game changing to disappear. 3d and screen based motion controls are the real gimmicks.

VR isn't going anywhere, meaning it's here to stay. This is just the pre-first generation.

If don't get this. What about these headsets make them pre 1st generation. Or more specifically what are you expecting to change in terms of hardware for consumers and developers to suddenlyou care about vr?

Top Bottom