• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After months of moisture, Lake Berryessa water level rises to Glory Hole spillway rim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pejo

Gold Member
This is close to where I live. Good to know there's a glory hole nearby.

The question, is the hole big enough? You're a GAF member for goodness sake.

A coworker was telling me this story earlier in the week as I live in NorCal, she had no idea of the other connotation of the word.

I was camping @ Berryessa last year, it's a great time. I'm really glad the water is up though, it was depressing boating around the lake in those conditions.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
So if I'm reading this correctly, esentially the Glory Hole is a way of relieving stress? I've always heard that but it's cool to see it in practice.

Brashnir

So if I'm reading this correctly, esentially the Glory Hole is a way of relieving stress? I've always heard that but it's cool to see it in practice.

It's more for releasing a big build-up of fluid than relieving stress, although that too is a side effect.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
It's more for releasing a big build-up of fluid than relieving stress, although that too is a side effect.

Interesting. Also it appears to operate automatically, so you could use the Glory Hole and no one would ever know you were there.

Sure...

AUH0wxA.gif

lmao

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Was everything in this area named via internet poll or something?

Dunno about the Glory Hole naming, but most of the other areas were likely named when either the Spanish or Mexico was still in control of California.

For example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Putah_Creek

The true meaning of "Putah" in Putah Creek has been the subject of discussion and speculation. It was originally called "Arroyo de los Putos" (1844) and "Puta Creek" (1845), but the "Puta" form was rejected by the United States Board on Geographic Names, likely because of the resemblance to the Spanish word puta, a derogatory term for a female sex worker. According to Erwin Gudde (1889–1969), the resemblance is "purely accidental;" the revised fourth edition of Gudde's California Place Names has the following entry:

Putah Creek [Lake, Napa, Solano Cos.]. From Lake Miwok puṭa wuwwe "grassy creek" (Callaghan; cf. Beeler 1974:141). The similarity to Spanish puta "prostitute" is purely accidental. In the records of Mission San Francisco Solano (Sonoma Mission) of 1824, the natives of the place are mentioned with various spellings from Putto to Puttato. In the baptismal records of Mission Dolores an adulto de Putü is mentioned in 1817, and the wife of Pedro Putay in 1821 (Arch. Mis. 1:94.81). In 1842 the stream was well known by its name: "I know that the Rio was called 'Putos.'...It is well-known by the name which has been given it" (J. J. Warner, land-grant case 232 ND). The name was probably fixed by William Wolfskill, who named his grant Rio de los Putos on May 24, 1842. In 1843 the name was used in the titles of three other land grants, in one of which the spelling Putas occurs. In the Statutes of the early 1850s, in the Indian Reports, and in the Pac. R.R. Reports, the spelling of the name is in complete confusion. The present version was applied to a town in 1853, was used in the Statutes of 1854, was made popular by the Bancroft maps, and finally was adopted by the USGS.

According to a map created by Eugène Duflot de Mofras, a French naturalist and explorer, and published in Paris in 1844, Putah Creek was once known as Young's River, named for the fur trapper Ewing Young, who hunted beaver on an expedition up Putah Creek to Clear Lake and on to the Mendocino County Coast in March, 1833.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

andthebeatgoeson

Yep, the Yolo Bypass is in Yolo County! Where there is a small airport named Yolo County Airport, as well as a city named Yolo. The main thing people know of located in the county is the University of California at Davis.
jim-carrey-liar-liar-oh-come-on-angry-its-enough.gif

The main thing in Yolo county, close to the Glory hole is UCD? But of course, what else would you see?
🤔

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Some idiot will purposefully climb onto that thing to take a selfie or whatnot and fall in, won't he.

Monocle

Some idiot will purposefully climb onto that thing to take a selfie or whatnot and fall in, won't he.

Someone fell in back in 1997:

Napa -- Emily Schwalek, 41, of Davis was killed Sunday when she was sucked down a spillway at the Monticello Dam at Lake Berryessa.

The spillway, which drops straight down more than 200 feet, is known as the Glory Hole. It routes excess water from the lake down an 8-foot-wide pipe.

Authorities said witnesses reported seeing Schwalek swimming toward the spillway at about 6:30 p.m. Sunday.

The woman dropped out of sight after gripping the edge of the hole for about 20 minutes, witnesses said.

I'm going to have fucking nightmares.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
jim-carrey-liar-liar-oh-come-on-angry-its-enough.gif

The main thing in Yolo county, close to the Glory hole is UCD? But of course, what else would you see?
🤔

Of course UCD at the Glory Hole. That's what it's for.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
this thread is too lewd for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom