• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Conan (PC MMO) - Launch Thread

Laughterjones said:
Ricker I bought my current PC four years ago and have been contemplating to upgrade recently. So you could say AoC was the catalyst which made it happen.

Will 360 players be able to play with the PC players? Don't think I ever read anything about that.
in an interview they said they would like to have that option, but also the ability for 360 players to play only with 360 players...im guessing they can either join the existing servers or choose a server just for 360 players.

Laughterjones said:
Ricker I bought my current PC four years ago and have been contemplating to upgrade recently. So you could say AoC was the catalyst which made it happen.

Will 360 players be able to play with the PC players? Don't think I ever read anything about that.

I seriously doubt this will be implemented. I haven't heard about it at all. This was really touted as something people would really like, and as far as I know the only game to have it was Shadowrun for PC and Xbox360 (maybe also some RTS game). However Shadowrun for PC is Vista only and so it tanked.

Okay, the System Requirements Lab site shows my PC setup as well past the "Recommended" mark for AoC. To wit, roughly halfway between "Recommended" and "FAST." How reliable is this site, though? Here's my setup:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+
System Ram: 2.0 GB
Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit
NVidia GeForce 8600 GT (512 MB)

I also have about 170 GB of hard drive space left, so no worries there. So, do any of you guys who are already playing have any input here?

I've been locked out since this mornings patch.

Had Early Access until then.

Cannot connect to Authentication Server. And from the boards, I'm no where near the only one. =(

Masta_Killah said:
Game crashes every time I log out. Doesn't matter if I let the timer count down or exit right away, it always crashes. Stupid Vista -_-

Blaming the OS for a game crashing? Dumb.

Anyways, what are everyone's first impressions? If you had to say, is this something that you can see getting huge (dare I say WoW killer?! Oops!) or is it possibly going to just be "Yet Another MMO" (tm)

grate

Iced_Eagle said:
Blaming the OS for a game crashing? Dumb.

Anyways, what are everyone's first impressions? If you had to say, is this something that you can see getting huge (dare I say WoW killer?! Oops!) or is it possibly going to just be "Yet Another MMO" (tm)

In his defense, this happens to me in COD4, and a variety of other games on Vista.
Soon, as the game officially exits, the OS brings up a crash prompt. I highly doubt this has anything to do with FunCom's programming. It certainly has nothing to do with his intelligence.

I see this game getting pretty big, however I don't foresee any MMO getting to the social status that WoW has become. This game will leave it's mark, and rightfully so; it has some nice things going for it. It won't be your WoW killer, WoW has been killing itself for a while; this game will however reach it's intended fanbase.

Justin

cpro said:
That's a consequence of character customization, I guess.

Yeah, the character customization in this game isnt like WoW where you pick between 5 heads and hair styles, it is more like Oblivion where you have 40 or 50 sliders that you use. You can make some dumb looking characters.

PARANO1A

Is there anyway for a noob who has just heard about this game to pick up and play today? I went to a store this morning and the box was in the "coming soon" section. :( Impulse buying FTW.

Justin

The Goons have their town plot already reserved and the gathering of materials is underway. We should have our keep up in a day or two!

cpro said:
So what is the GAF split between the PVP and PVE servers?

PvP to my friends and I is just more dynamic and is longer lasting than any dungeon could ever provide so off to gank land for us. I wonder how server transfers will be in the future if they ever offer them.

Colan, this picture
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm205/CoLaN86/conan3-1.jpg
is a variant of one of the first SS I ever saw of this game. Some dude with a rope around his neck for all to see? I thought, this game is for me.

grate said:
In his defense, this happens to me in COD4, and a variety of other games on Vista.
Soon, as the game officially exits, the OS brings up a crash prompt. I highly doubt this has anything to do with FunCom's programming. It certainly has nothing to do with his intelligence.

I see this game getting pretty big, however I don't foresee any MMO getting to the social status that WoW has become. This game will leave it's mark, and rightfully so; it has some nice things going for it. It won't be your WoW killer, WoW has been killing itself for a while; this game will however reach it's intended fanbase.

Yeah, I probably should have mentioned that every time I log out of TF2, I get the same error. A couple other games I have also crash when I quit the game.

Xabora

Recovered from my Vista HDD failure... and got conan running on XP.
Missing the pretty DX10 bonus effects but still fun. :D

Trax416 said:
How much improved is it over the beta?
LOADS!
Runs like a new game, cut scenes work and look good.
And more options like ram caching for textures (Aka AGP Mode)

Blackface

Banned
Xabora said:
Recovered from my Vista HDD failure... and got conan running on XP.
Missing the pretty DX10 bonus effects but still fun. :D

LOADS!
Runs like a new game, cut scenes work and look good.
And more options like ram caching for textures (Aka AGP Mode)

I am glad. I was not feeling the beta to much, because it seemed no matter how much we tested, the fixes were SLOW to come.

I might have to try it.

I think someone needs to hook me up with a buddy key. :lol

cant get into the official forums, maybe someone can help. Im getting tons of graphical issues. Everything infront of me will just disappear, ground, everything. Also, some items have a huge AA looking problem. Its like a starburst that will be huge, usually filling my while screen.
Q6600 quad core
4gb ram
8800GTS 320mb
Vista x64

Proc

jeremy70583 said:
cant get into the official forums, maybe someone can help. Im getting tons of graphical issues. Everything infront of me will just disappear, ground, everything. Also, some items have a huge AA looking problem. Its like a starburst that will be huge, usually filling my while screen.
Q6600 quad core
4gb ram
8800GTS 320mb
Vista x64

shitty buzz, those are exactly my pc specs, except my card has a bit more ram :/

Proc said:
shitty buzz, those are exactly my pc specs, except my card has a bit more ram :/
besides those issues, i run it on max settings, 8xAA and it runs and looks fabulous. Im sure its some setting, but ive tried changing just about everything, just some places it does this.

j-wood

jeremy70583 said:
Q6600 quad core
4gb ram
8800GTS 320mb
Vista x64

Do you mean Artifacting? There are only a couple of possibilities.

1. A bug in the game/os

2. Your video card is going bad

jeremy70583 said:
Q6600 quad core
4gb ram
8800GTS 320mb
Vista x64

Updated drivers/bios?
Are you getting these issues on all graphical settings (low as well as high)?

drivers are updated, not sure what u mean from bios? its all default not overclocked. Next time i encounter the problem, i will try changing to low, thanks.

Justin

Sounds like the classic cast of a video card overheating.

Does it look something like this. (might not be as bad)

53910883bx1.jpg

yeah, only happens when i look at it at a certain angle, but yeah looks like that, but more filled it (cant see anything between it).

jeremy70583 said:
drivers are updated, not sure what u mean from bios? its all default not overclocked. Next time i encounter the problem, i will try changing to low, thanks.

Sounds exactly like overheating to be honest. Open your case and get a desk or box fan or something similar to blow directly on the card. If that fixes the graphics then you need to either get a new fan/heatsink for your card or buy a new card.

wayward archer said:
Sounds exactly like overheating to be honest. Open your case and get a desk or box fan or something similar to blow directly on the card. If that fixes the graphics then you need to either get a new fan/heatsink for your card or buy a new card.
yeah actually looking into upgrading it and putting this one in my older machine (AMD dual core, 2gb ram, 7800GTS). My case is covered with huge fans, but maybe its just not getting enough air directly on the card.
^^ EVGA

Druz

http://www.evga.com/articles/405.asp

Download this, load it up and get the On-Screen display running while you play. Tells you your temperature, and lets you control the fans on your card. Anything over 80c is way too hot. If it's lower than 80c, it's likely to have gotten hotter in the past creating perma damage.

Grifter

Can XP run this in DX10? Or is that Vista only?

I've had it set to that but I'm getting stutters even on low and I just upgraded my machine so I'm looking for a fix. Anyone else running the E8400/8800GT combo?

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Grifter said:
Can XP run this in DX10? Or is that Vista only?

I've had it set to that but I'm getting stutters even on low and I just upgraded my machine so I'm looking for a fix. Anyone else running the E8400/8800GT combo?

Nah, Vista only. I'm hoping to upgrade to an 8800 gt later this summer and enjoy the beauty of DX10. It's already good with DX9 but DX10 must be crazy sexy

Grifter

Thanks Steve.

So is it trying to run it in DX10? I thought that it'd just tell me if it wasn't available. Is it still trying to run it in DX10 and killing the FPS for some reason?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Anybody feel like buying my copy. I wont be playing this game it seems. (the game looks great, its personal).

hottest my vid card got was 62 deg celcius, averaged about 58 over an hour. i got it once, it wasnt the starburst it was things disappearing, and it was only at certain angles, im guessing a bug in the game.

Justin

jeremy70583 said:
hottest my vid card got was 62 deg celcius, averaged about 58 over an hour. i got it once, it wasnt the starburst it was things disappearing, and it was only at certain angles, im guessing a bug in the game.

Do you have AA turned on? During beta I was getting strange graphic bugs untill I turned on AA and everything was fixed.

yeah AA is on, got a SS of it just now, and if i bring a map over it, the map is fine, but the environment behind it is still messed up. i will upload it later.

LowParry

Uh, well this is kind of scary. Got that EVGA Precision to see where I was getting with temps and what not. Settings are at default of 675/1674/975 - fan speed auto.

I was just playing around with some games, tried out Mythos first. Withing the first 20 mins os playing, the GPU temp is edging around 78, 79. The scary part was, after that, I tried the 3dMark06 demo entirely and saw the thing top off at 82. The hell do I do? :lol

What I'm running with is:

8800 GT 512MB
Intel Pent D 3.2 64-bit
Dell Inc. 0HJ054 board (yes, I have a Dell. Don't laugh! It's awesome!)
4 gig RAM
Vista 32 bit

Top Bottom