• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Conan (PC MMO) - Launch Thread

Druz

CcrooK said:
Uh, well this is kind of scary. Got that EVGA Precision to see where I was getting with temps and what not. Settings are at default of 675/1674/975 - fan speed auto.

I was just playing around with some games, tried out Mythos first. Withing the first 20 mins os playing, the GPU temp is edging around 78, 79. The scary part was, after that, I tried the 3dMark06 demo entirely and saw the thing top off at 82. The hell do I do? :lol

What I'm running with is:

8800 GT 512MB
Intel Pent D 3.2 64-bit
Dell Inc. 0HJ054 board (yes, I have a Dell. Don't laugh! It's awesome!)
4 gig RAM
Vista 32 bit

82 isn't melt worthy, its just... really hot.

Manually set the fan at like 70 or 80 while playing and see what happens. My evga 8800gt SC card idles at 44c and when it gets hot goes to 50c, sometimes 60c. Before I decided to manipulate my on-card fan, my card would hit 81-82 max on Crysis.

Your settings: 675/1674/975
Mine: 650/1619/950

Your stuff overclocked a bit there buddy?

LowParry

Well I read here, the damaging temp you want to worry about is anything that's 100 or above. So if it's staying around the 80's at all time, it should be fine. I keep the side panel off my case as well so there's always intake or release of air when needed.

LowParry

Druz said:
Your settings: 675/1674/975
Mine: 650/1619/950

Your stuff overclocked a bit there buddy?

Just a tad, yes. I don't know the boundaries beyond that point but with that, it gives me a little extra umph with gaming. Be it a few frames to 10. Depends on the game.

Druz

CcrooK said:
Just a tad, yes. I don't know the boundaries beyond that point but with that, it gives me a little extra umph with gaming. Be it a few frames to 10. Depends on the game.

Default is 600Mhz GPU Core Clock Speed and 1800Mhz Memory Clock Speed so you are OCing a bit(at acceptable speeds) so don't be surprised at your heatagez

LowParry

Druz said:
Default is 600Mhz GPU Core Clock Speed and 1800Mhz Memory Clock Speed so you are OCing a bit(at acceptable speeds) so don't be surprised at your heatagez

Alrighty. I feel a bit getter now. :D I'm idle at about 65 all the time but I have my fan set to auto. So while I ran the 3DMark06, end result was a high of 80. I think my panic area will be around 90 if it ever hits that. I'm doubting it though concidering that I have the side panel open to let heat out.

Chris R

Chris_C said:
I seriously doubt it. I'm almost 100% certain it won't.
Thats why I really do want to try it out before I go and buy it. I'm pretty certain the game will run, just at min settings, but if it is poorly coded it might not even run at all :(

LowParry

TheHeretic said:
The stock fan design of the 8800 GT isn't very good, so your card will run pretty hot with an intensive workout.

It's something for now. What's the recommended fan to replace it with?

CcrooK said:
It's something for now. What's the recommended fan to replace it with?

Are you overclocking? If your case has good ventilation (check the ambient temperatures) the card won't just break by being used. Replacing the cooling on a GPU can be a major pain and isn't very popular as far as I know. For most cards stability becomes an issue long before temperatures do, unlike CPU's.

LowParry

TheHeretic said:
Are you overclocking? If your case has good ventilation (check the ambient temperatures) the card won't just break by being used. Replacing the cooling on a GPU can be a major pain and isn't very popular as far as I know. For most cards stability becomes an issue long before temperatures do, unlike CPU's.

Yeah I am overclocking currently. I keep the side panel off my case so there isn't a worry about heat being trapped inside or what not. I'll be honest, I can see myself playing more games like Starcraft 2, C&C 3, Warhammer Online. Stock speed on the GPU is at 600 and I'm up to 675.

Edit: There are previous post of mind that may give you a better idea.

Edit edit: I'm not really looking for very high graphical game (like crysis). Should I just move it back to default?

My XFX 512mb 8800GT doesn't run that hot. Running just some chat programs and browsers its only at 47C or so, 55-60 during WOW and 65c during Mythos. o.o

CcrooK said:
Yeah I am overclocking currently. I keep the side panel off my case so there isn't a worry about heat being trapped inside or what not. I'll be honest, I can see myself playing more games like Starcraft 2, C&C 3, Warhammer Online. Stock speed on the GPU is at 600 and I'm up to 675.

Edit: There are previous post of mind that may give you a better idea.

I have the GTS 512 which I take from 650 to about 770 and with my fan going at about 75% (which is admittedly very loud) I can keep it under 60 degrees for the most part. The Gainward software doodad states that even if I was at 80 degrees it would simply "warm", with no immediate danger to the card. If you are in the 80's I don't think thats a huge deal, but you should check the Nvidia temperature references.

LowParry

TheHeretic said:
I have the GTS 512 which I take from 650 to about 770 and with my fan going at about 75% (which is admittedly very loud) I can keep it under 60 degrees for the most part. The Gainward software doodad states that even if I was at 80 degrees it would simply "warm", with no immediate danger to the card. If you are in the 80's I don't think thats a huge deal, but you should check the Nvidia temperature references.

Well there are techs out there that say that the 8800 GT is suppose to go as high as 100C so...I dunno.

Edit: It's just if I were to say play AoC, I want to be safe. lol

CcrooK said:
Well there are techs out there that say that the 8800 GT is suppose to go as high as 100C so...I dunno.

Edit: It's just if I were to say play AoC, I want to be safe. lol

Yeah, make sure you aren't using the default fan speed which will lock the GPU at something like 30%. I wouldn't go over 80 degrees personally so tone back the overclock till you can hit the temperature you are most comfortable with.

aznpxdd

Replacing the HSF for video cards is pretty common, especially for 8800GTs' since their stock HSF is a piece of shit. Get an Accelero S1 Rev. 2 + a quiet 120mm fan or 2.

Druz

Ignore these people, keep your shit the way it is. Crank up the fan to the max so as long as you have that lifetime warranty, who cares about noise... you have headphones on while gaming anyway.

Neo 007

My new rig runs
Core2Duo E8400@3.00Ghz
GeForce 9800GTX
4GBRAM
500GBHDD

So shit yeah let me at this game...Is it available in Aus?

LowParry

TheHeretic said:
Yeah, make sure you aren't using the default fan speed which will lock the GPU at something like 30%. I wouldn't go over 80 degrees personally so tone back the overclock till you can hit the temperature you are most comfortable with.

Hrm. Only high graphic game I got right now is Gears of War. Still, this would be a good tester with AoC in the end on where I can settle for a temp. Playing Soulstorm for over an our, the temp stays just below 70c so that's good. The fan speed I have set it to up through EVGA. Suppose it cranks the fan when it's needed.

Suppose I'll try again later into the day about those buddy keys.

woobit

Broadbandito said:
i am so torn on this game. i really want to play it, but im afraid that i wont touch anything else

Ah, the curse of MMOs! You know its fun, you know you're gonna get hooked.

bee

couple of pics from another forum, games certainly a looker especially for an mmo

2jac7sh.png

b55e1u.png

just pre ordered mine, first mmo i will have ever properly played barring 10 day trials

bee said:
couple of pics from another forum, games certainly a looker especially for an mmo

http://i31.tinypic.com/2jac7sh.png[IMG]

[IMG]http://i31.tinypic.com/b55e1u.png[IMG]

just pre ordered mine, first mmo i will have ever properly played barring 10 day trials[/QUOTE]

Yeah this mmo will make me buy a new gpu. x1950pro is not cutting it for me and I want to see the visuals maxed out. The world Funcom created is spectacular.

Question, will a 500w psu be able to handle a 8800gt?

j-wood

jeremy70583 said:
not sure what artifacting is...i guess i should take a SS of it.

Try testing it out. Do you have any other games? If so, try running them and seeing if it happens.

Back when vanguard came out, I bought a 7900gs (AGP version). I had vista on my old machine, and there was some kind of nasty bug in vista where every game (including solitare) was artifacting if I went to a certain angle. I eventually narrowed it down to the fact that I had an SiS chipset, and the drivers were still XP, with no vista drivers available.

Got a problem with the game...somehow(don't know how), I locked my chat window from letting me scroll up and down and I have no idea how to unlock it. Anyone know how to unlock it? I've asked for help in the game and aoc forums but no one has a clue on how to unlock it. I'd ask the gm's but the queue is pretty long.

Kletian

Still on the fence about bying.

My system couldnt handle the beta (or maybe the beta couldnt handle the beta). But I really dont want to waste the time money and effort to find out which is the case.

AMD Core 2 Duo (forget everything else and Im at work)
2 GB Ram
8600 GT
Window Vista 32-bit

I'd think I'd be ok, but the beta told me otherwise.

Kletian said:

My system couldnt handle the beta (or maybe the beta couldnt handle the beta). But I really dont want to waste the time money and effort to find out which is the case.

2 GB Ram
8600 GT
Window Vista 32-bit

Seems like you should be ok.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
indie85 said:
Whats with everyone being a female character, do you HAVE to be a girl in this game or something?

And we don't want to get gank. Guys will just stare at you for 5 seconds and go on with their own business compared to if you're a male character...instant asshole mechanics comes in and you're dead :lol

Bags

Neo Member
I'm going to be picking this bad boy up on the way home today. I'm definitely going to have to upgrade for maximum eye candies.

Kletian said:

2 GB Ram
8600 GT
Window Vista 32-bit

This is where FC really didn't think clearly, and I can't understand why they did not. The 'graphic engine' in the beta was not optimized and would take people's awesome system and show them they only could get 15fps etc. However at the same time the closed beta engine would run just normal. I am betting you could run the game, not maxed but definitely run it.

Mr. Hyde

I'm trying so hard not to buy this game, but I'm on the verge of giving into it. :( Having a few friends who are buying it makes it even harder.

Hero

So wait, there are friend passes for this game? Can I download the game and just use a friend pass? If so, anybody have an extra? :)

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Hero said:
So wait, there are friend passes for this game? Can I download the game and just use a friend pass? If so, anybody have an extra? :)

Yes, buddy pass gives you a 10 day trial . After that, you could keep your character by buying the game. Beware, the download is 15 gigs or so and it will take some time to DL the whole thing so its recommended if you borrow discs from a friend

LowParry

SteveO409 said:
Yes, buddy pass gives you a 10 day trial . After that, you could keep your character by buying the game. Beware, the download is 15 gigs or so and it will take some time to DL the whole thing so its recommended if you borrow discs from a friend

15 gigs? No way. It's can't be that big.

ZeroEdge

CcrooK said:
15 gigs? No way. It's can't be that big.

Believe it the EA client was just shy of 15 gigs if I recall correctly. It took me all day/night at @400k a sec to grab it. Of course my damn EA code didn't come in early enough so it was all in vain, but meh now I won't have to install and patch from the DVD when ever Amazon decides to mail the damn thing out to me :(

LowParry

ZeroEdge said:
Believe it the EA client was just shy of 15 gigs if I recall correctly. It took me all day/night at @400k a sec to grab it. Of course my damn EA code didn't come in early enough so it was all in vain, but meh now I won't have to install and patch from the DVD when ever Amazon decides to mail the damn thing out to me :(

Good lord. So much for the buddy key idea.........maybe I'll have to buy it...maybe. I'm pretty tempted. The Necro has me completely sold.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Just FYI, the game doesn't support DX10 yet:

http://www.videogamer.com/news/19-05-2008-8332.html

Still looks fantastic though. I bumped my to 16Q AA last night, turned all shadows up to high, and it runs like 20-something fps most of the time when around a bunch of people in Tortage, but 60-70fps in dungeons (even ones with others). I get hitching when it has to load stuff in, but otherwise it's playable, and looks fantastic.

I should also add that I've been in on nearly every major MMO launch including beta since EQ1 and this is the smoothest I've seen. I've not had a single crash and uptime has been fantastic (3 hour delay at the start of Early Access, and then a 3 hour window during the day over the weekend).

Top Bottom