• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S4 |OT| Ghost Riders in the Skye - Tuesdays 10/9c

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
No FZZT? Get out

I guess it's a decent one if just for Fitz and Simmons commiserating over Simmons' imminent demise and for watching Ward jump out of a plane after Simmons, but for someone who wants to catch up on the show, it's not necessary to watch.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
double posting like a boss

Whatever you do, don't listen to this.

If you're watching a series, it's silly to skip episodes, especially if you're following a watch list that only leaves out a few.

The first half of the show is bogged down with so many bad episodes in a row that it made people stop watching. If I'm trying to get someone through the first season without them losing patience and dropping it, why would I make them slog through exactly what killed millions of people's interest?

For example, his list leaves out 2-4. 2 isn't a very good episode but it introduces an object that gets brought up again later in the season. (It also has a great cameo at the very end.)

Read the wiki to find out what an 0-8-4 is. Watch the cameo on YouTube, it's like one minute long. They're not worth watching probably the worst episode of the show for.

3 and 4 are also not great but both introduce characters and story points that are important to the series.

No they don't.

And he left out episode 6, "FZZT," which is the first really good episode of the series and is important to the growth of the characters later on. It was where a lot of people started caring about Fitz and Simmons.

Fitz and Simmons do have a good moment in that episode but they have plenty of other, better moments later on in the show. It's not necessary to watch FZZT to get a feel for their development. And I disagree that FZZT began to separate the characters in viewers' minds; I recall no one being able to keep the two straight until season two when they were finally doing completely different things.

I watched every episode as it aired (except 0-8-4, which I managed to miss and only caught recently) and still found it enjoyable. It was just a very different show that gets a lot of not-entirely-deserved flak due in large part to how inconsistent airings of new episodes were. It holds up a lot better on a binge watch, and I definitely wish I had revisited S1 when seemingly minor elements it seeded kept coming back in S2 as my memory of it was definitely fuzzy with time.

ZeoVGM

Banned
It's easier to get through a few bad episodes of a TV show when marathoning. Also, not everyone thinks the first season is as bad as you apparently do. If someone is interested in the show, it's best to watch it and come to your own conclusions.

No they don't.

It introduces a recurring character who is important later in season 1 and the eye technology, which is also important later in season 1.

You may not personally care but it's a factual statement to say those episodes introduce things that matter to the storyline later. For example,
Deathlok waking up with his leg missing and the eye implant in a later episode wouldn't have the same impact without watching episode 4. It completely gets rid of the context behind the eye implant.

And again, it's silly to suggest someone skip just a small number of episodes. Just watch the whole series and build your own opinion. I've talked to my fiancee about how AoS was looked at as very mediocre in the first season and she doesn't understand it. She still enjoyed the those mediocre episodes because she liked the characters.

This isn't a case of, "Skip season 1. Nothing is important and it's terrible." There's a few bad/mediocre episodes in the first half. It's not a big deal.

ZeoVGM

Banned
giphy.gif

Pachimari

I watched all of Season 1 and I fucking loved every episode. But I also binged it on Bluray, so if he does the same, then I say go watch the whole season. It's not that bad.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I wonder if ABC will air the final two episodes of the season together, as they've done the past two seasons. That would put the finale on May 9. Otherwise, it would be May 16.

jph139

One of my friends liked Season One way better than the later ones. She preferred it when it was light and goofy and the team were all friends that went on adventures.

Dunno what to say about that.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
One of my friends liked Season One way better than the later ones. She preferred it when it was light and goofy and the team were all friends that went on adventures.

Viewing AoS as just a show, I can see their point. But when you consider the show within the wider context of the MCU and what it does, I think we appreciate the development and extent to which characters and storylines are being utilised.

So how did Ward get in the framework, I thought they needed direct scans of people?

It's probably not literally Ward, but a recreation based on the memories others have of him. It's just like how Mack's dead daughter exists in the Framework despite them obviously not having scanned her.

LionPride

Banned

Opinions can be wrong, as I've said many times, I ain't give a damn about any character in Season 1 except for Tripp, Coulson, and May

ZeoVGM

Banned
That's a good question actually. I want to know more about how the Framework actually works. Was Hydra and Ward put into the Framework or were they both created as a collective thought from everyone who is plugged in?

Maybe one of the late season twists will be that it actually is somehow Ward's consciousness in the Framework?

bitbydeath

Gold Member
It's probably not literally Ward, but a recreation based on the memories others have of him. It's just like how Mack's dead daughter exists in the Framework despite them obviously not having scanned her.

Interesting, I wonder if this is the Hydra version of Ward or good guy Ward.

Gambit

Interesting, I wonder if this is the Hydra version of Ward or good guy Ward.

my personal hope is that the collective memory of those that made the framework is Ward being a traitor. So now with Hydra running the show, I hope he is secretly SHIELD.

Also, just for the record: phenomenal episode. really, really cool. Basically every scene was a highlight of its own.

Can't wait to see how it continues.

Spoiler fear/speculation:

This being a Whedon show, I see Coulson and May expressing their love for one another inside the framework, but one of them not making it out.

That's a good question actually. I want to know more about how the Framework actually works. Was Hydra and Ward put into the Framework or were they both created as a collective thought from everyone who is plugged in?

Maybe one of the late season twists will be that it actually is somehow Ward's consciousness in the Framework?

Considering it was built using the Darkhold, my bet is it works via magic.

Zero-ELEC

Banned

It's literally magic. The software has infinite processing and runs simulations of existence. There exists a Ward for the same reason he existed in the real world.

ZeoVGM

Banned
It's literally magic. The software has infinite processing and runs simulations of existence. There exists a Ward for the same reason he existed in the real world.

The way I understood it was that it isn't literally magic but that the Darkhold "taught" Radcliffe how to create something so impossible and complicated using actual science. That could be wrong but I haven't considered the Framework to be literal magic.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

My sister is the same way.

Some people just like light adventures for their entertainment instead of betrayals and seeing likable characters put through the wringer.

I like both

Bloomers

my personal hope is that the collective memory of those that made the framework is Ward being a traitor. So now with Hydra running the show, I hope he is secretly SHIELD.

banderas.gif

I'm imagining SkyeWard scouring the world to reassemble the team and convince everyone to take down Hydra and escape the Framework.

This being a Whedon show, I see Coulson and May expressing their love for one another inside the framework, but one of them not making it out.
D:

LowSignal

Also, just for the record: phenomenal episode. really, really cool. Basically every scene was a highlight of its own.

Can't wait to see how it continues.

Don't worry the one who dies will be imprinted into the others mind so they can always be together.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I have to say, I think splitting the season into three parts really benefited the show. It's as if we received three separate 7-8 episode seasons. If the show is renewed, I hope it follows the same format.

I imagine them doing something really special for the 100th episode too.

If this won't get renewed Imma be mad.

From a business standpoint it honestly doesn't deserve to be.

If you look at how broadcast shows have been performing in the ratings in recent years they come back in the fall at around where they finished the previous season at and then decline over the course of the season. So that means SHIELD would come back at the 0.6 ratings it's getting now and probably decline to something even more hideous over the course of the 2017-2018 season.

In a year this could be pulling something like a 0.5 or a 0.4. ABC would be crazy to keep dead weight like that around.

wildfire

Banned
Alright, can we just agree that that was by far the best episode of the season (which was already incredible to begin with), if not one of the best in the entire show.

This is the best episode in the entire show.

So many tour de force acting moments. The plot was on point. The best action scenes ever on this show. And that ending opens up so many questions and possibilities.

Nothing before touches this episode and I seriously think they may have peaked here.

Even in the friggin Framework Fitz and Simmons can't be together.

tumblr_olrgttHzUy1v1axdpo1_540.gif

tumblr_olrgttHzUy1v1axdpo2_540.gif

tumblr_olrgttHzUy1v1axdpo3_540.gif

tumblr_olrgttHzUy1v1axdpo4_540.gif

tumblr_ohosypLCGQ1s0o06io1_250.gif

From a business standpoint it honestly doesn't deserve to be.

If you look at how broadcast shows have been performing in the ratings in recent years they come back in the fall at around where they finished the previous season at and then decline over the course of the season. So that means SHIELD would come back at the 0.6 ratings it's getting now and probably decline to something even more hideous over the course of the 2017-2018 season.

In a year this could be pulling something like a 0.5 or a 0.4. ABC would be crazy to keep dead weight like that around.

I wonder if they account for how people consume media these days. It's rare that I watch any TV show live anymore since I have Netflix and Hulu subscriptions. Doesn't mean people are not interested in the show, but it might appear that way if you only look at live ratings.

Malakai

I will never understand the hate season one gets. It sets up everything. Season one set up the characters and does quite a bit of world building. Things that happen in the later seasons (especially season 2) wouldn't have the pay off that it have if it wasn't for season one.

LionPride

Banned
I will never understand the hate season one gets. It sets up everything. Season one set up the characters and does quite a bit of world building. Things that happen in the later seasons (especially season 2) wouldn't have the pay off that it have if it wasn't for season one.
Because those characters were terrible top to bottom.

Couldn't tell Fitz and Simmons apart before Ward's heel turn
Skye/Daisy did not matter
May was even more stoic and unremarkable
Coulson was clown shoes
Tripp was fine though

Most of Season 1, is trash

Top Bottom