• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Airbender' & 'Prince of Persia' were 'whitewashed'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korey

Meier said:
Do you understand the ridiculous double standard you're making? His point is a, "factually supported argument" where he refutes other arguments that were "factually supported." His opinion is his opinion. EVERYONE can find something to back up their opinion. He shoots down the concept that the Japanese want to be white but that was someone else's opinion (many someone elses for that matter). What makes their opinion wrong and his right?

I think you're wrong. You think I am. Okay, that's fine. Feel free to do so. The end result is I laugh at you and others like you who are absolutely up in arms and probably seething in rage at someone else disagreeing with your opinion so you throw out insults and quote a random writer's opinion or post embarassing links to Youtube videos that are amateur and assinine. Keep up the good fight. You'll feel better knowing that you're "right" in the end.
Except this isn't really an opinion driven debate. They are either drawing white people or aren't. It has nothing to do with what you personally assume is going on. If you ask a Japanese artist why all they draw are white people, you're going to get a very confused look.

It's ok to be wrong. You made completely asinine assumptions and are now backed into a corner where you just appear more racist with every additional post you make. That's why I asked you to stop, but ok, keep arguing over something that's not even up for debate.

Meier

Korey said:
Except this isn't really an opinion driven debate. They are either drawing white people or aren't. It has nothing to do with what you personally assume is going on. If you ask a Japanese artist why all they draw are white people, you're going to get a very confused look.

Hence the usage of "white." Whether they are consciously doing it or not is irrelevant. The foundation of the art style was trying to capture a white character's aesthetic. Not much has changed.

Korey said:
where you just appear more racist with every additional post you make.
You've literally just made the biggest reach in the history of this forum. Congratulations.

Angry Grimace said:
You have it a lot closer to correct than Meier does; they are supposed to look "stateless"; what Meier would consider to look "Japanese" would be an ethnic stereotype to actual Japanese people.

I can't really think of that many blonde, blue eyed anime characters that aren't SUPPOSED to be white people; I can't help but think you're all thinking about Edward and Alphonse Elric from Fullmetal Alchemist; Amestris is supposed to be a directly analogue of Germany.

Lol, I don't read that much anime to be honest (but I 'passively' see a lot on the net), I was thinking of Sailor Moon :lol
i watched a bit of sailor moon as a kid.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Trojita said:
There are a lot of things inaccurate about this, but I'll just leave it as that.
Sure, but that article covers a lot of things which aren't the point.

The argument being made is that anime characters are drawn to explictly look white, when they are in fact, not. It's a cultural bias to believe that. They are drawn to look like cartoon characters and Japanese people living in Japan don't necessarily view them as "white" at all.

Korey said:

It's ok to be wrong. You made completely asinine assumptions and are now backed into a corner where you just appear more racist with every additional post you make. That's why I asked you to stop, but ok, keep arguing over something that's not even up for debate.

While I think I mostly agree with you and Grimace, just for the sake of the argument - reading that excellent article by Matt Thorn, I think the other side argues that the desire to be white is subconscious - so it doesn't really matter that anime/manga artists claim to be drawing japanese characters or not (i am not saying they are drawing white characters at all, though).

Also calling Meier racist is a uncalled for imo. Overusing words waters them down. He hasn't said anything explicitly racist.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
harriet the spy said:
Lol, I don't read that much anime to be honest (but I 'passively' see a lot on the net), I was thinking of Sailor Moon :lol
i watched a bit of sailor moon as a kid.
That has more to do with the fact that the 5 primary Sailors needed look different without looking alien.

It's the same reason they get purple/white/green hair and nobody comments on it; because in reality, most Asian people have black hair and manga isn't in color, so it becomes hard to differentiate between characters.

There's a manga called Claymore where everyone has the same color hair and almost nobody can tell who is who at any given time. The only way to know who is who is by hairstyle, which is almost impossible.

genjiZERO

got nothing to say that I haven't said a million times already. Completely agree with the article. Actually what bothers me more about all the Anglos in Prince of Persia is the shitty fake accents.

Angry Grimace

Meier said:
Hence the usage of "white." Whether they are consciously doing it or not is irrelevant. The foundation of the art style was trying to capture a white character's aesthetic. Not much has changed.

You've literally just made the biggest reach in the history of this forum. Congratulations.
I don't think you're coming off as racist, myself. It's more that you're ignoring the fact that another culture perceives something different than yours. The cultural implication in how anime characters look only exists through a Western Eye.

And the foundation of the argument that Osamu Tezuka was drawing "white people" isn't accurate either. He was drawing a cartoon character. It's a reach to assume that over many generations of mangaka, everyone wanted to draw white people, when in reality they were just copying the same style that each other had.

Meier

Angry Grimace said:
when in reality they were just copying the same style that each other had.
I agree with this 100% and it is in fact my point. It's more of a subconscious thing that has resulted from the fact that aesthetic has not changed significantly since its inception. It is why I specifically said they were "white" people, emphasis on the quotation marks.

Let's use an example I am familiar with -- oasis. People frequently likened them to The Beatles for any number of reasons. If a young Mancunian kid decided to start a band with his friends where they aped oasis' sound, demeanor, clothing, hair, etc., one might easily think they were in fact being influenced by The Beatles even if the kid told you until he was blue in the face that Our Kid was his absolute hero and Macca could go fuck himself.

Raydeen

Gotta agree with Prince of Persia. Honestly is anyone going to go, wow must go and see that movie, Jake is in it? Or because it's POP?

Meier

Raydeen said:
Gotta agree with Prince of Persia. Honestly is anyone going to go, wow must go and see that movie, Jake is in it? Or because it's POP?
The movie wouldn't have been made if it weren't Jake or some other actor that the general viewing public knows. People want video game movies that aren't complete embarassing schlock like Uwe Boll produces, but they don't want them to have noteable stars who can bring in viewers which will help offset the necessary cost to do the story justice.

Lebron

Raydeen said:
My sisters are going to see it just for Jake, they don't know nor could give two shits about the PoP name.

Enosh

I realy don't think anime people are painting white people, they are kinda neutral

I realy don't see much of a difrence betwen the guy in Sailor Moon which is set in Japan, so he is japanese and Alucard in Hellsing who is a european vampire

AndyD

aka andydumi
Nightshade1765 said:
lost_sayid2.jpg

Would have been killer.
He's mostly Indian, but still would have been better.

Exactly what I thought as well. Althogh Gylenhall is not a bad choice for the movie, not as bad as Airbender.

oracrest

spiderman123 said:
why do i havea gut feeling PoP is gonna suck, shut the fuck up gut

that's not your gut, it's your brain, saying "video game movie"

And probably backed up with many hours of real world experience to draw upon.

The, "we picked the best actor for the job" argument is the most offensive, subversively racist argument I've ever heard, and it manages to show up in every thread like this. The overwhelming majority of films star white actors. The overwhelming majority of films set in foreign countries star white actors. The overwhelming majority of films with non-white characters... star white actors. In all of these cases, it was always the best actor who got the lead? So are minority performers just not talented, or are they just not looking for work? I can tell you that the latter is certainly false.

And that's not even looking at the historical precedent of casting white actors and then using make-up to make them look like people of color. Are we arguing that this particular trend when out of fashion and, seemingly overnight, Hollywood reformed to a colorblind casting system. A system that still, predominantly casts white actors?

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Korey said:
I wonder how many more closet racists are going to intentionally miss the point before this thread is over.

Make a controversial statement then run away when called out on it? Yep, I'm in the OT alright.

And if calling someone else out for quoting "name a Persian/Iranian" actor and then responding with an Indian dude (who looks stereotypically Iranian in a modern mass media Iranian kind of way) makes me a racist, so be it.

yacobod

Banned
casting a prime robert deniro in these movies wouldnt help, it would suck no matter who the lead is/race/color/creed/etc

WillyFive

Solo said:
Casting someone of the correct race isnt going to make these movies any better.

I am pretty sure, saying this is a huge Avatar fan, the movie is going to suck. A lot.

But the race thing isn't helping.

Meier

kame-sennin said:
The, "we picked the best actor for the job" argument is the most offensive, subversively racist argument I've ever heard, and it manages to show up in every thread like this.
I think you're mistaking "best" for only meaning "most talented." It can also mean the person who is best for helping the movie make a profit. The business of blockbuster movies exist solely to line some corporation's pockets.

Korey

Meier said:
I think you're mistaking "best" for only meaning "most talented." It can also mean the person who is best for helping the movie make a profit. The business of blockbuster movies exist solely to line some corporation's pockets.
Um, you're mistaking best for "most profitable". Everyone else in this thread has been using best in the "most talented" context.

Angry Grimace

yacobod said:
casting a prime robert deniro in these movies wouldnt help, it would suck no matter who the lead is/race/color/creed/etc
Just play the damn game if you want to see that story, really. At least you get to have some fun that way. I can't think of a single game that will translate well to movie.

And before someone busts out an "uncharted," we already had three Indiana Jones movies that didn't suck.

Meier

Korey said:
Um, you're mistaking best for "most profitable". Everyone else in this thread has been using best in the "most talented" context.
But that isn't an accurate representation of what's best for the movie makers which ultimately is what matters in the end.

Zachack

Davidion said:
Ahhhh, I see. Makes sense now. Haven't followed the comics industry as of late, had no idea.
"of late"? The Ultimates started in 2002 and the Sam Jackson version appeared before that. Complaining about Jackson as Fury (when the only other on-screen representation of Fury that comes to mind is the unwatched titular movie staring Night Rider) shows that you've generated strong opinions with a total lack of factual backing.

Korey

Meier said:
But that isn't an accurate representation of what's best for the movie makers which ultimately is what matters in the end.
We get it, you can stop reiterating this. Minorities are less profitable, I'm pretty sure everyone is on the same page.

Meier said:
I agree with this 100% and it is in fact my point. It's more of a subconscious thing that has resulted from the fact that aesthetic has not changed significantly since its inception. It is why I specifically said they were "white" people, emphasis on the quotation marks.

Let's use an example I am familiar with -- oasis. People frequently likened them to The Beatles for any number of reasons. If a young Mancunian kid decided to start a band with his friends where they aped oasis' sound, demeanor, clothing, hair, etc., one might easily think they were in fact being influenced by The Beatles even if the kid told you until he was blue in the face that Our Kid was his absolute hero and Macca could go fuck himself.

This whole anime characters are white argument...I know my stance on it. The hair color aesthetic isn't random. From my experience, characters who are yellow haired and blue eyed are more common than, blue hair and yellow eyes.

But I don't really understand what you're getting at. Because the foundation of cartoons was based off illustrating Caucasian characters, means that it's appropriate to call them all white in the aesthetic sense?

Are Asian people supposed to look like Karate from batfink?

batfink-orange-pp31299.jpg

I don't think Caucasians have ownership to all cartoons that were inspired by Disney and ultimately agree with Grimace with the clod statement.

Salazar

kame-sennin said:
The, "we picked the best actor for the job" argument is the most offensive, subversively racist argument I've ever heard

You win the hyperbole award, which is no mean feat considering the depths this thread has plumbed.

Meier

Korey said:
I'm pretty sure everyone is on the same page.
So... what you're saying is that you agree that if they cast someone who they feel is most likely to earn them the most money (which might include a minority such as Will Smith), they've selected the "best" choice.

Salazar said:
You win the hyperbole award, which is no mean feat considering the depths this thread has plumbed.

The key word is "subversive". "We cast the best actor" is right up there with, "you're one of the good ones". The person who says it is not trying to be insulting or racist. They may not be racist at all. But they are still influenced by prejudiced beliefs that are part of our society at large. Please provide a counter argument instead of snark if my comment still bothers you.

Meier said:
So... what you're saying is that you agree that if they cast someone who they feel is most likely to earn them the most money (which might include a minority such as Will Smith), they've selected the "best" choice.

Stop right there. I was talking about an argument that people often use. To wit:

TheOddOne said:
Am I the only one that minds that the talent makes the role? So you don't cast somebody because he's not the character ethnicity? The boy playing Aang fits the role, when watching the trailer I wasn't like 'why did they cast a white kid?'. Also I didn't mind that Jake Gyllenhaal was playing the price, I was like 'this movie looks awesome'.

This comment does not appear to me to be about the financial prospects of a film. Whether or not white actors are more marketable has nothing to do with the specific argument I was referencing.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Like Mitch used to say, people like to say "it doesn't matter if you're white, brown, purple, blue".

Now hold on a minute, we got put a line somewhere, i say to hell with purple people, unless they are suffocating, if so then help them.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Science has spoken. Let's cast monkeys.

Monkeys are a go.

edit: Ok before everyone freaks out, it's just a joke regarding the genetic linkage, because we are like 96% monkey, we as in the human race.

Salazar

kame-sennin said:
The key word is "subversive". "We cast the best actor" is right up there with, "you're one of the good ones". The person who says it is not trying to be insulting or racist. They may not be racist at all. But they are still influenced by prejudiced beliefs that are part of our society at large. Please provide a counter argument instead of snark if my comment still bothers you.

Subversive implies deliberate racism, and you can't elect as your key word something that falls beyond your argument. Choose one you can use properly and defensibly. Otherwise, you are just handing out snark.

The more 'subversive' and 'subtle' and 'they don't even know they're thinking in that awful way' qualifiers are thrown out, to my mind, the less culpable Hollywood and the casting agencies become.

harSon

Banned
kame-sennin said:
The, "we picked the best actor for the job" argument is the most offensive, subversively racist argument I've ever heard, and it manages to show up in every thread like this. The overwhelming majority of films star white actors. The overwhelming majority of films set in foreign countries star white actors. The overwhelming majority of films with non-white characters... star white actors. In all of these cases, it was always the best actor who got the lead? So are minority performers just not talented, or are they just not looking for work? I can tell you that the latter is certainly false.

And that's not even looking at the historical precedent of casting white actors and then using make-up to make them look like people of color. Are we arguing that this particular trend when out of fashion and, seemingly overnight, Hollywood reformed to a colorblind casting system. A system that still, predominantly casts white actors?

Exactly.

You can tell when a post is spot on and beyond refutation by the lack of responses to it.

RubxQub said:
Not that I want to repress any people of color from getting jobs, but certainly the general public is to blame for this "white washing" and not Hollywood, right?

I mean, they would cast colored actors if they thought it'd make them more money. It's a "shame on us" scenario for not being more agreeable. I'd have to assume focus testing shows that audiences respond better to white actors and they have "met the demand" by providing one.

Not to say that Hollywood couldn't take a stand on something like this, but any business is about money first.

To be fair, Hollywood hasn't given society many chances to prove itself. Society could very well be willing to embrace minority actors, but we'll never know if Hollywood continues to cast films assuming the opposite.

Anyways, my biggest problem with the film industry is the fact that success within the industry, to certain extent, is dependent on the skin color you were born with. That's just incredibly fucked up no matter how you attempt to justify it.

If you want to see the differences in opportunity between a white actor and a non-white actor, look no further than people like Sam Worthington or Orlando Bloom. With the industry's current practices, you're never going to see a pseudo-talented non-white actor go from nothing to nothing but blockbusters in a short time window. The only non-white actor I can think of that fits that mold is Will Smith, and even he was a Grammy award winning television star before hitting the big screen.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Angry Grimace said:
Just play the damn game if you want to see that story, really. At least you get to have some fun that way. I can't think of a single game that will translate well to movie.

And before someone busts out an "uncharted," we already had three Indiana Jones movies that didn't suck.

Two.

Salazar

harSon said:
If you want to see the differences in opportunity between a white actor and a non-white actor, look no further than people like Sam Worthington or Orlando Bloom. With the industry's current practices, you're never going to see a pseudo-talented non-white actor go from nothing to nothing but blockbusters in a short time window.

My word. I won't sleep at night until the entertainment market is reconstituted ( perhaps against its economic interests, be they fair or foul, but we have justice on our side) to provide equal opportunities for actors of any race to ride summer blockbusters to momentary fame.

Korey

Salazar said:
My word. I won't sleep at night until the entertainment market is reconstituted ( perhaps against its economic interests, be they fair or foul, but we have justice on our side) to provide equal opportunities for actors of any race to ride summer blockbusters to momentary fame.
Maybe you and your fellow troll(s) should read this post again:

Davidion said:
Yes. The bigger you are, the more visible you are, the more influential you are, the more responsible you have to be. There is just about NO industry where this holds true than media.

Any business/industry that reaches a critical mass of public exposure to the extent that Hollywood has, defines cultures. The scale and reach of their product absolutely substantiates why this is an issue in the first place.

And let me expound that I don't feel like this should be an call to "JUMP WHITEY". The lack of media representation is a particularly sore spot for Asians (I'll not drill into that unless we go there). Is Paramount/Hollywood in general committing some hell-forsaken rules that deserves incendiary rage and retaliation? I sure don't think so. However, they are manifesting what's seen by many as a shortcoming in our social dialogue and quite frankly, complaints outlined in the article have not been unreasonable, or even particularly scathing. I mean, I'm wondering if people paid attention to the fact that all of this expression of disappointment, culminated in complaints and all of a letter-writing campaign. Were we expected to just keep our mouths shut and act like good boys and girls? Would that be a more reasonable response to what many see as media underrepresentation?

This would be what makes comments from people in thread to "stop complaining" especially myopic and arguably more irritable than the original subject for some others here.
We are aware of how casting white people makes more economic sense in the film industry. That's not what's being argued in this thread, racist.

Salazar said:
Subversive implies deliberate racism, and you can't elect as your key word something that falls beyond your argument. Choose one you can use properly and defensibly. Otherwise, you are just handing out snark.

The more 'subversive' and 'subtle' and 'they don't even know they're thinking in that awful way' qualifiers are thrown out, to my mind, the less culpable Hollywood and the casting agencies become.

I am not blaming any individual in Hollywood for this problem (although Shyamalan clearly shit the bed in this instance). I DON'T think casting directors or executives are racists. I do think they're ignorant, I think they fall prey to group-think, and I think they haven't stepped up to fix the problem:

harSon said:
To be fair, Hollywood hasn't given society many chances to prove itself. Society could very well be willing to embrace minority actors, but we'll never know if Hollywood continues to cast films assuming the opposite.

Salazar said:

"You don't have a correct accusation" becomes "It's not that big of a deal".

harSon

Banned
Salazar said:

I just want equality period.

If you were to remove entirely minority driven films (Produced, directed and acted by minorities. ie. "All Black films"), which so many people seem to be vehemently against, do you realize just how horrible minority representation within Hollywood films would be? Hell, a significant chunk of the famous Black actors of today found their roots within these films, outside of the traditional Hollywood system. And Blacks, while dissproportionately underrepresented (I know there's a study stating otherwise, but from what I remember, "All Black" productions and foreign actors are included within the figure), are the most represented of all minority groups within the Hollywood system. Asians and Hispanics are significantly worse off, which is saying quite a bit.

You can continue to make light of the situation but you're just going to continue to come away looking like an insensitive douche.

Salazar

DryEyeRelief said:
"You don't have a correct accusation" becomes "It's not that big of a deal".

It does seem frivolous, yes, to complain that Hollywood isn't actively working against what folks acknowledge to be an ingrained shortcoming in society at large. The 'the bigger they are, the more responsibility they assume' argument is preposterous in proportion with its idealism. I expect an enormous mechanism designed to cater to the most superficial and unexamined wishes and expectations of audiences to reflect - not renegotiate - their attitudes.

harSon

Banned
kame-sennin said:
I am not blaming any individual in Hollywood for this problem (although Shyamalan clearly shit the bed in this instance). I DON'T think casting directors or executives are racists. I do think they're ignorant, I think they fall prey to group-think, and I think they haven't stepped up to fix the problem:

It's sort of a Catch 22. I believe audiences have shown a willingness to embrace "ethnic neutral" films starring a person of color, assuming this person is already proven (Will Smith, Denzel Washington, Forest Whitaker, etc.). The problem arises when you consider the fact that Hollywood seems unwilling to hire minority actors outside of those who are already established. I believe we're starting to already see the effects of this, for example, how many big name (Hollywood) minority actors can you name that have come onto the scene within the last decade? I can think of a few, but most a lot of them seem to be from over seas.

I think the industry is actually starting to regress, in terms of representation, the 70s to 90s seemed like a much better time for minority actors within this country. For the most part, we seem to be living off the actors who came to fruition through out that window in time.

MWCShay

harSon said:
It's sort of a Catch 22. I believe audiences have shown a willingness to embrace "ethnic neutral" films starring a person of color, assuming this person is already proven (Will Smith, Denzel Washington, Forest Whitaker, etc.). The problem arises when you consider the fact that Hollywood seems unwilling to hire minority actors outside of those who are already established. I believe we're starting to already see the effects of this, for example, how many big name (Hollywood) minority actors can you name that have come onto the scene within the last decade? I can think of a few, but most a lot of them seem to be from over seas.

I think the industry is actually starting to regress, in terms of representation, the 70s to 90s seemed like a much better time for minority actors within this country. For the most part, we seem to be living off the actors who came to fruition through out that window in time.

You're saying pretty much what I have been saying in my post. Nobody actors get casted into huge roles all the time. They are just almost always white, I can't offhand think of anyone that wasn't.
A perfect opportunity rises to cast someone new, and instead we get more of the same.
Hmmm Aang is a little asian monk that was reincarnated, lets cast him as a little white child instead. Anyone here ever seen the golden child starring Eddie Murphy? That is how you cast a freaking kid that is a monk.

Saying it is going to the most talented actor is a complete crock. When you have guys like Keanu Reeves, Nicolas Cage and Mark Walhberg headlining huge blockbuster movies. You're gonna have to name me the equivolant of anything like that when it comes to a minority actor.

Then the problem with trying to say it is about reaching a bigger audience. Well how the hell would anyone know, since there really are no movies staring a minority with a ridiculously huge budget. If a Tyler Perry movie starring almost all minorities can make 60 million dollars, I'm quite sure Avatar starring some asian kid can make some serious dough too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom