• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake's American Nightmare |OT| Not a lake, a primordial ocean.

Most of your points are valid, but you have to realize that this game is a spin-off? When they announced it, it was: "A Tarantino-inspired pulp action game". It clearly shows in the design. I personally loved it, because I knew what I was getting myself into.
But, I can't wait for a true, full-fledged sequel that'll be in the same, brooding atmosphere as AW1.

Nugg

I finally took the time to play this game. I'm amazed it took me so long: I absolutely loved Alan Wake, but I always thought American Nightmare would not be as good, for some reason. That was really stupid of me. Any game that let me
crash a satellite by hurling a meteor on it triggered by a Kasabian CD, three times,
is alright in my book.

The fights were pretty fun, the atmosphere is amazing (although I admit I didn't care for the Arizona setting), and even the backtracking was pretty clever and fun. I really recommand it, and it made me really excited about whatever This House of Dreams will turn out to be.

I'm gonna try the arcade mode tonight. Not sure if I'll like it though.

Fireblend

Banned
I've been playing Alan Wake since I got the franchise pack during Steam's summer sale for $10; such a great game! I'd never even considered playing it before (since horror games aren't really my thing) but it's blown me away so far and I'm enjoying it a lot. I'm about done with it (all that's left is the second "special" episode), and I can't wait to start with American Nightmare, the part about there being more enemies and weapons is pretty alluring. Pretty awesome that I already consider I got my money back and there's a whole game left to play.

robot

Completely forgot this existed, but just tried the demo thanks to the sale and had a blast. Also reminds me I need to finish the 2nd DLC...maybe after I finish this.

derFeef

Completely forgot this existed, but just tried the demo thanks to the sale and had a blast. Also reminds me I need to finish the 2nd DLC...maybe after I finish this.

Play The Writer before American Nightmare. It's not directly connected, but it shares some plot details.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Just picked this up in the sale, great timing for it as I'd just finished revisiting the first game. I haven't got any of the DLC though, is it worth getting them both?

Mington

Just completed it. It was awesome, highly recommend it to anyone on the fence.

I haven't played any of the dlc and didn't feel like I had missed anything

Kydd BlaZe

Just picked this up in the sale, great timing for it as I'd just finished revisiting the first game. I haven't got any of the DLC though, is it worth getting them both?
Absolutely! Although, The Signal is a bit of a drag, more Alan Wake in any sort of capacity is always a good thing. The Writer is much better than The Signal and contains some very clever level design. I honestly think The Writer is much better than most of the main game, so it's definitely worth a playthrough.

Damnit! After typing this up, I got the itch to do another epic Alan Wake/DLC/American Nightmare playthrough.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Haha, I figured that'd be the answer I got. Hopefully the DLC goes on sale sometime in the next couple of days before I get around to buying it!

Staal

Bought this on the sale and finished the campaign. It reminded me I actually liked the combat in Alan Wake. The visuals aren't that good anymore on the Xbox. The
tv show and radio programs
kinda dragged and didn't really add that much to the story.

Haven't played the survivalmode yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

Kajiba

Finally picked this up and it was on sale this week. Really enjoying the game. Movement feels much better compare to alan wake.

Finally picked this up and it was on sale this week. Really enjoying the game. Movement feels much better compare to alan wake.
Movement does feel better because Alan doesn't get tired as fast as he does in the original. I hope you enjoy it! I really did.

Ok, so I bought this since it was on sale. Story was OK. Gameplay is solid. It kinda was less interesting than the first game despite improvements for me.

That said, Survive till Dawn is a lot more fun and engaging.. Its very hectic and has a sandbox feel to it. I really didn't have fun with the SP, it was good enough but I felt like I had already played it before..however, survival has been a blast. Damn shame it doesn't have more variety or co-op though, I don't see myself playing this to long.

Any good achievement guides for Poetry in Motion, Skill Beats Gun or Survivor?

----

I really hope Alan Wake 2 happens, however, if it does I hope they give the core gameplay a little bit of a boost. After you dodge an attack there really should be a way to follow up with an offenseive or defensive parry.. IMO it really needs a little more something. Also, I wish the Taken would interact with the environment more.. climb on building, over walls, etc. Right now everything feels a but too static.

Most of all, Co-Op is a must, at least for Survival mode.

No_Style

I just wrapped this up and was pleasantly surprised by it. Mr Scratch alone is worth it. The reuse of the three areas & live action cutscenes worked well in context of Night Springs.

Kevtones

Really don't care for Alan Wake proper...

But I picked this up and find it much, much better. The pacing and structure is just more inviting and the delivery the of mediocre writing is much more tolerable. While it's still exceptionally tell-y and poorly detailed, it's a little more succinct and even. The tone really helps.

Gameplay is still not quite perfect but I like the structure and the game is naturally inviting. Good stuff for 320 points.

Milchjon

Really don't care for Alan Wake proper...

But I picked this up and find it much, much better. The pacing and structure is just more inviting and the delivery the of mediocre writing is much more tolerable. While it's still exceptionally tell-y and poorly detailed, it's a little more succinct and even. The tone really helps.

Gameplay is still not quite perfect but I like the structure and the game is naturally inviting. Good stuff for 320 points.

Haha, your post is the complete opposite of what I would say.

I literally hated the story mode. Making me go through the same levels 3 times? Who's dumb idea was that? The writing seemed intentionally horrible and it bugged me much more than it did with the original.

Gameplay itself is still fun and the Arcade mode is nice, but the story mode lost almost everything I loved about Alan Wake.

I absolutely adore Alan Wake, and I'll probably keep playing it, but I'm certainly glad I didn't pay the non-discounted price for American Nightmare.

Kevtones

Haha, your post is the complete opposite of what I would say.

I literally hated the story mode. Making me go through the same levels 3 times? Who's dumb idea was that? The writing seemed intentionally horrible and it bugged me much more than it did with the original.

Gameplay itself is still fun and the Arcade mode is nice, but the story mode lost almost everything I loved about Alan Wake.

I absolutely adore Alan Wake, and I'll probably keep playing it, but I'm certainly glad I didn't pay the non-discounted price for American Nightmare.

I paid $10 for AW and $4 for this so I'm not bitter either way :)

I can see someone going the opposite I just feel like the way things are presented meshes with me better in AN. Combat feels less tedious to me, too.

BrokenBox

I finally got around to playing this tonight and really enjoyed the entire game. Took me around six hours and got all the story achievements. When I first heard about previews for the game and how it would be cheesy/based in Night Springs I didn't think it would have a lot to do with Alan Wake's canon. I was definitely surprised with how much was revealed and how the story progressed.

Mr. Scratch was also great (I think most agree on this). Hopefully Remedy are able to get back to this series after Quantum Break.

Top Bottom