• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alcatraz |OT| The Island is Over There

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rokam

Oh, and that scene? Yeah. Wow. But I guess that's the kind of cheese you get from the creators of Kyle XY. I was really hoping the second episode would show a marketed improvement.

Hmm on one hand I liked the concept and story of Kyle XY, on the other hand I hated most of execution, but stuck with it through the cliffhanger never coming back ending :/. Enjoyed the show, will stick with it for a few more episodes but there's so many shows on Monday nights and Fox's stupid wait 8 days to post new episodes may end up killing my interest.

strafer

Interesting first episode.

Felt like Lost 2 with all the flashbacks and whatnot.

The music also had a Lost feel to it.

Rokam

Interesting first episode.

Felt like Lost 2 with all the flashbacks and whatnot.

The music also had a Lost feel to it.

Had someone just played the music for me, I would've said it was straight out of Lost. Is Giacchino doing the music for this?

Edit: Nevermind he is!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Honestly.... I didn't enjoy it.

They reached to get to one scene from the other too much for my liking. They welcome a detective and comic store owner into their top secret operation basically just because they found them snooping and were too lazy to get rid of them? Really? And oh yeah that hill in the distance looks like the perfect spot for a sniper killing, lets search there! I really can go on and on. I mean just look at all the stupid investigating on the computer they do that somehow we are suppose to believe.

But it wouldn't of been a big deal were it not for the sub-par acting, boring script, and cheesy cg/camera angles. It was almost sad seeing this attached to the Bad Robot logo that sent out so many great Lost episodes.

I'll tune in next week, just because Abrams, Neil, and Garcia equals a second chance. But so far I am greatly disappointed.

Edit: The best scenes were the flashbacks to Alcatraz.

Hate to say it, but thats pretty much how I felt too. You would think that if Sam Neil had been waiting a long, long time for this to start happening, and he is part of some secret government operation, he would have had some kind of special ops squad or something ready to respond when these killers from the past start murdering. But nope, he is totally unprepared even with his BatCave of computers and stuff, and if not for Starbuck and Hurley showing up where they weren't supposed to be, he would have had no way to track these convicts down, let alone catch them or stop them.

Seems like lazy storytelling to me. Maybe I'm just nitpicking, but those kinds of things take me out of the show. Sure, LOST had it's fair share of stuff like this (bad writing), but they were hidden better by atmosphere and mystery and character interactions. LOST had a lot of strong qualities that overcame the plot holes. From the very start that was the case. This show didn't start with the same qualities, so the holes appeared larger to me. It just didn't grab me (yet?).

That being said, I did like the cast, and the premise is interesting enough. I'll watch a few more weeks to see if it improves, but it was not as good as I'd hoped.

jcutner

I enjoyed it, kind of dumb but intrigued by the twist at the end of the second episode.

I've never actually seen Lost *ducks* but the music reminded me a LOT of the stuff from Minority Report with the wandering piano stuff.

Tokubetsu

I'm not really feeling it and I fucking hate Hugo/whateverhisfuckingrealnameis but the main chick is cute as hell. I like the theme score too. Will keep eye on it.

Me and the wife enjoyed it but the entire thing just seems like its on auto pilot.

I will give it a few more episodes because I do enjoy procedural shows / monster of the week.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So I've been thinking a little more about the premiere. I really liked it, it was a great two hours of TV. Production was great, music was great, acting was great.. blah blah.. but the premise is just too hokey. Its just silly, and not in the way Fringe or LOST were silly. Alcatraz seems like an idea that was hatched in the late 80s/early 90s era of television.

The premiere was leagues better than anything in the first few weeks of Fringe. But the idea just isn't compelling enough for me. Fringe was the opposite, I kept thinking "Wow! What a fantastic idea for a show, this is insane!" but was continually let down by the execution. This (at least the premiere) was executed very very well, top quality SciFi- but the core premise just isn't all that great.

Unless there are some hard left turns coming up I don't really expect to love this show all that much.

Tokubetsu

So I've been thinking a little more about the premiere. I really liked it, it was a great two hours of TV. Production was great, music was great, acting was great.. blah blah.. but the premise is just too hokey. Its just silly, and not in the way Fringe or LOST were silly. Alcatraz seems like an idea that was hatched in the late 80s/early 90s era of television.

The premiere was leagues better than anything in the first few weeks of Fringe. But the idea just isn't compelling enough for me. Fringe was the opposite, I kept thinking "Wow! What a fantastic idea for a show, this is insane!" but was continually let down by the execution. This (at least the premiere) was executed very very well, top quality SciFi- but the core premise just isn't all that great.

Unless there are some hard left turns coming up I don't really expect to love this show all that much.

I think this is what has me "eh" on it as well. The core idea isn't all that great but it's well executed.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
I liked this quite a bit, and loved Giacchino's music.. it felt like it was straight out of LOST.. in fact, he sort-of reused a theme from LOST.

The scene where Detective Starbuck is sitting in the snipers cell, looking through photos and stuff, the music that plays is pretty much a sped up version of season 6's "Coffin Calamity" and Season 2's "Eko Blaster" from LOST.

I've made a quick youtube vid to compare.

http://youtu.be/dtMTepo262A

Rinoa

Dang this is exactly how I feel... execution is there but whole premise feels dated. It's like unless there are some major deviations from the original premise, I don't see myself sticking to it long term.

WillyFive

The premise is mostly irrelevant to me if it can be executed well. Execution is key for everything, a bad story can be made good with quality storytelling; but a good story can be made bad by bad storytellling.

I liked this quite a bit, and loved Giacchino's music.. it felt like it was straight out of LOST.. in fact, he sort-of reused a theme from LOST.

The scene where Detective Starbuck is sitting in the snipers cell, looking through photos and stuff, the music that plays is pretty much a sped up version of season 6's "Coffin Calamity" and Season 2's "Eko Blaster" from LOST.

I've made a quick youtube vid to compare.

http://youtu.be/dtMTepo262A

Pretty cool. John Williams did the same thing for the finale of The Phantom menace, which was a sped up version of the Emperor theme from Return of the Jedi.

Should be noted that while Giacchino did the pilot, his wife is scoring the rest of the series. Weird.

That is disappointing, it would have been nice to have a whole show scored by Giacchino like with Lost, but I'm guessing those days are long gone, with production costs wanting to be kept low (due to how expensive Lost was), and with Giacchino having a movie career now.

it was pretty interesting. i'm going to keep watching, love the cast. can't wait for Hurley to get with blondie.

that being said, there should be no illusions..this ain't Lost ;_;

Doorman

Nice, hope ratings stay steady or grow. This is the type of show that I can definitely see getting better and better in multiple seasons.

I kind of have a hard time thinking about it that way. The hook to the show involves the mysterious disappearance of the inmates and the supposedly-nefarious purpose that they're being used for, but I think the show is going to struggle to leave enough compelling bread-crumbs to follow up that premise through multiple seasons. Too long without peeling the curtain back on the overall mystery and the thing just devolves into your typical crime procedural, but if they actually satisfy curiosities in a timely manner, there won't be enough meat left to that plot to sustain it for that long. Shows like Fringe and Heroesran into the same problem, I personally think: An intriguing premise to start with that was forcibly-elongated once they realized they'd be receiving more season orders, and it felt to me like the storylines suffered for it. I have a feeling that Fox is going to have trouble keeping interest piqued, but perhaps that's just my pessimism.

My biggest problem with these shows trying to do what Lost did is that they don't understand the subtlety with which Lost did it (at least at first). Lost let you fall into a show that seemed like a character drama about people lost on an island fighting for survival. In their pilot and early episodes, they vaguely hinted at some weird stuff happening on the island (some monster uprooting trees, a weird French lady repeating an iterative SOS broadcast, the polar bears).

Fringe and Alcatraz come right out and say it: this is a show about weird fucking shit happening. It's not a show about people to whom weird shit is happening or people in a weird situation, it's a show about weird shit. There's no subtlety or buildup to it like there was on Lost, and it makes it less special and intriguing when they put it right up front every single day in such heavy doses.

Lost tantalized its viewers with intrigue mixed in with interesting characters in a cool setting that hadn't been totally done to death (though it was hardly original). Alcatraz is a procedural crime drama, and procedural crime dramas can fuck right off. I've seen it a hundred bazillion times. It's not the right vehicle in which to couch the weird shit ploy that made Lost such a phenomenon. Lost was serialized in the extreme. No two episodes were the same, which is a much better way to handle this. I don't like shows with formulaic structures anymore.

Overall, it was decent, but nothing like the effect Lost had on me, which is clearly what they and Fringe before it tried to accomplish. Fringe got better as time went on and they filtered out the pointless bullshit I don't care anything about, so we'll see if Alcatraz can do the same.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
trust me, I've been chasing the lost dragon since the beginning of time. the next lost is not going to have Abrams name attached or really any similarities with lost at all.

trust me, I've been chasing the lost dragon since the beginning of time. the next lost is not going to have Abrams name attached or really any similarities with lost at all.

it seems like the general public is dying for a show that we can all get behind.

UraMallas

I agree completely. When I think about what I liked about Lost the most, it's that it blind-sided me. Someone sat me down and said "watch the first 4 episodes" and I did. I knew nothing but when Locke got up I realized that this show was unlike anything else before it. The setting didn't interest me as much as that idea. Now that there are shows trying to copy Lost it doesn't work. It was more about the trailblazing than the wilderness they walked through.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
yea, I don't get where people trying to get similarities to Lost out of this when this is so much more like a Fringe follower that Lost shouldn't even be in the convo. I guess it's because way less people watch Fringe.

ivysaur12

Banned
yea, I don't get where people trying to get similarities to Lost out of this when this is so much more like a Fringe follower that Lost shouldn't even be in the convo. I guess it's because way less people watch Fringe.

Also, people will be immediately disappointed when something is described as "the next Lost" (which is also marketing's fault).

If it's too procedural, it's not Lost.

If the pacing is too fast, it's not Lost.

If there doesn't seem to be a lot of mythology in the first few episodes, it's not Lost.

If there is too much mythology in the first few episodes, it's not Lost.

Basically, stop looking for "the next Lost." There will be a scripted, serialized show that becomes a smash hit in the way that Lost was. But it probably won't resemble the structure of Lost as is. Hell, I think that Fringe is the best show that JJ Abrams has produced and it premiered after Lost. Even as its gotten more serialized, it's still nothing like Lost. And that's completely okay.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
I just can't watch these types of shows anymore. After the ending of the second episode, I just told myself to ignore this show.

I am curious to know what is up with Dr. Lucy.

How the fuck is she still the same age as she was in the 60's

i thought it was pretty clear that not only inmates disappeared, but prison personnel did too. so she was probably there when the vanishing act happened.

aparisi2274

i thought it was pretty clear that not only inmates disappeared, but prison personnel did too. so she was probably there when the vanishing act happened.

Well I assumed that much.

I just meant, did she come back first, and somehow meet up with Hauser? I assume we'll get some sort of backstory.

WillyFive

Formula-wise, it's Fringe; but it feels like Lost, due to factors that don't involve it's formula.

I'm pretty sure my theory that they are clones is correct. Either that or they were testing out cryogenics on them for the government. I think the doctor taking blood from Jack is going to end up being significant though, which lends evidence to the cloning idea.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
I'm pretty sure my theory that they are clones is correct. Either that or they were testing out cryogenics on them for the government. I think the doctor taking blood from Jack is going to end up being significant though, which lends evidence to the cloning idea.

But does the doc in the past being in on it fit all that well with this? I mean it could, but it's existence seems to throw a bit of a curveball to look elsewhere.

nomis

My biggest problem with these shows trying to do what Lost did is that they don't understand the subtlety with which Lost did it (at least at first). Lost let you fall into a show that seemed like a character drama about people lost on an island fighting for survival. In their pilot and early episodes, they vaguely hinted at some weird stuff happening on the island (some monster uprooting trees, a weird French lady repeating an iterative SOS broadcast, the polar bears).

Fringe and Alcatraz come right out and say it: this is a show about weird fucking shit happening. It's not a show about people to whom weird shit is happening or people in a weird situation, it's a show about weird shit. There's no subtlety or buildup to it like there was on Lost, and it makes it less special and intriguing when they put it right up front every single day in such heavy doses.

Lost tantalized its viewers with intrigue mixed in with interesting characters in a cool setting that hadn't been totally done to death (though it was hardly original). Alcatraz is a procedural crime drama, and procedural crime dramas can fuck right off. I've seen it a hundred bazillion times. It's not the right vehicle in which to couch the weird shit ploy that made Lost such a phenomenon. Lost was serialized in the extreme. No two episodes were the same, which is a much better way to handle this. I don't like shows with formulaic structures anymore.

Overall, it was decent, but nothing like the effect Lost had on me, which is clearly what they and Fringe before it tried to accomplish. Fringe got better as time went on and they filtered out the pointless bullshit I don't care anything about, so we'll see if Alcatraz can do the same.

The greatness of this execution on Lost, going from plane crash and survival in season 1 to Desmond's time flashes in season 4, will never be duplicated or equaled.

But does the doc in the past being in on it fit all that well with this? I mean it could, but it's existence seems to throw a bit of a curveball to look elsewhere.

Maybe they allowed certain others involved with the project to volunteer into it as well? The main mysteries right now are

1. Why were they taking blood?
2. How are they the same age?
3. What was the key Jack stole for?
4. Who was helping Jack and put that stuff in the locker for him?

Jack seemingly came back with a purpose, but the shooter really had no goal when coming back except to kill more people. This show really reminds me of the beginnings of Fringe alot. It started off with a slower monster of the week pace, but went all in with mythology starting later in the second season. So far none of the characters have the likeability of a Walter or Peter from Fringe, so that seems to be the biggest weakness of the show so far.

ivysaur12

Banned
Maybe they allowed certain others involved with the project to volunteer into it as well? The main mysteries right now are

Jack seemingly came back with a purpose, but the shooter really had no goal when coming back except to kill more people. This show really reminds me of the beginnings of Fringe alot. It started off with a slower monster of the week pace, but went all in with mythology starting later in the second season. So far none of the characters have the likeability of a Walter or Peter from Fringe, so that seems to be the biggest weakness of the show so far.

We're two episodes in. Peter and Walter were still stereotypes and relationships hadn't even been defined by the end the second episode.

We're two episodes in. Peter and Walter were still stereotypes and relationships hadn't even been defined by the end the second episode.

Yeah definitely I think they will grow on me more as the show goes by and we find out more about their lives and backgrounds. I actually liked the Jack character up until he just started killing everyone for no reason. I thought he was going to be the "good" criminal.

I'm sure I'm probably in the minority here, but the music was a low point for me in these two eps. It sounded like it was literally ripped right out of Lost. I know the same guy did it, but it felt like I was watching Lost in some of the scenes. I'd rather have the series have it's own unique identity in the music rather than every mysterious or intense moment loading up the Lost soundtrack.

Enco

5. How did everyone disappear and then come back?
6. Why did everyone come back?

Yeah definitely I think they will grow on me more as the show goes by and we find out more about their lives and backgrounds. I actually liked the Jack character up until he just started killing everyone for no reason. I thought he was going to be the "good" criminal.

he was clearly on a mission. the first kill was revenge, then going after the guy with the key was the mission. he had to shoot the police because he couldn't afford to get caught. i'm sure we'll find out more later.

also, if they were just clones, whats the point of all the inmates' original bodies disappearing, as well as the guards/personnel?

So much canon fodder in this show. People get blown away all the time. San Francisco's homicide rate is going to go through the roof.

They are taking blood because they never resolved that one in Lost.

not every mystery on Lost was meant to be solved, or rather, not meant to be answered clearly to the audience. that's part of why its so awesome.

for Alcatraz, I hope they reveal the reason or the method behind the mass disappearance and reappearance by the end of this season, which will no doubt lead to more questions for following seasons. i really hope its not a inmate of the week thing though. why not two or even five inmates at once? it needs a more immediate overarching plot, not just questions/mysteries that you keep in the back of your head until the finale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom