• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alcatraz |OT| The Island is Over There

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait the whole cop partner stuff happened YEARS ago? I was under the impression that it was a few weeks to maybe a month max ago (aka before the first case).

Well, they never specified the time. Regardless, it was a fun little indicator of the timeline of events.

But honestly, who didn't see that coming?
That he was an inmate, not that he was her grandfather.

TommyT

I saw a brief bit of the show a couple of days ago so maybe you show veterans can help me out here... but did I see someone driving a dark moss green 1967 mustang? Do we have any pictures of the car from the show?!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I saw a brief bit of the show a couple of days ago so maybe you show veterans can help me out here... but did I see someone driving a dark moss green 1967 mustang? Do we have any pictures of the car from the show?!

Yeah, the chick cop drives the Mustang. Hopefully we get a scene right out of Bullitt down the road. It is San Fran after all...

comedian

Lol @ "we have 12 hours" , fat dude (I'm terrible with names) is able to:

Look at all the checks that come into Alcatraz, compare them to the criminals account, investigate the company to find what they do, locate all the bomb shelters they EVER made, program all fo them onto the computer.

ivysaur12

Banned
Lol @ "we have 12 hours" , fat dude (I'm terrible with names) is able to:

Look at all the checks that come into Alcatraz, compare them to the criminals account, investigate the company to find what they do, locate all the bomb shelters they EVER made, program all fo them onto the computer.

Thisistelevisiondude.gif

TommyT

Yeah, the chick cop drives the Mustang. Hopefully we get a scene right out of Bullitt down the road. It is San Fran after all...

Have there been any full shots of the car or of it's interior?

edit: Did a search, apparently it's a '68 fastback which would indeed bring the Bullitt vibe!

Dr Diego is pretty huge compared to Madsen.. the show looks promising though

would be pretty cool if this show had a Fringe connection (Dr Bishop/Massive Dynamic) am i the only one that's looking out for the Observer =D

Tamanon

Banned
So damn sneaky!

"I'm not supposed to"

More hints at something over everything.

Who was the guy who was with Sweeney in the laundry anyways? That wasn't Madsen, was it?

Meier

Pretty decent monster of the week show thus far. The whole concept behind it remains completely absurd but I'm enjoying it. We're a week behind I guess (watching episode 3 currently).

Apoc29

Watched Chuck the other day and they pulled the exact same seatbelt stunt to save the day.

So far we got two guys who had keys, and two other guys who were just regular meaningless criminals. Or were they?

It's a good thing they're committing their most visible crimes one after the other; that would suck for the heroes if they had to track down more than one dude at a time.

WillyFive

Pretty cool seatbelt stunt.

The show is good so far, but the episodic nature is not helping it's overarching narrative. It's doing better than Fringe was doing, at least.

Apoc29

Bad guy 1: We need someone killed. Send out another inmate.
Bad guy 2: How about this guy? He's an expert sniper.
Bad guy 1: Nah, we did a sniper last week. We need someone fresh to keep the audie...I mean, police on their toes. Next inmate.
Bad guy 2: Are you sure? He's really good and has no character fla...
Bad guy 1: I said, next inmate!

(Fast forward to Alcatraz: Season 5)

Soto: Well, if it isn't Jimmy "The Fish" Wilson. He beats his victims to death with fish.
Madsen: We're really scraping the bottom of the barrel here, aren't we?

Bad guy 1: We need someone killed. Send out another inmate.
Bad guy 2: How about this guy? He's an expert sniper.
Bad guy 1: Nah, we did a sniper last week. We need someone fresh to keep the audie...I mean, police on their toes. Next inmate.
Bad guy 2: Are you sure? He's really good and has no character fla...
Bad guy 1: I said, next inmate!

Soto: Well, if it isn't Jimmy "The Fish" Wilson. He beats his victims to death with fish.

Is this when The Doctor shows up?

Lothars

I really like this show especially compared to LOST which I can't stand.

I've watched the first three episodes and I hope it stays on the air for a while.

Doorman

Well hey, at least we're not shooting it? *dohohohoho*

It seems like they're putting so much emphasis on slowly revealing the backstories of the prisoners throughout the course of each episode, and a lot of attention is paid on how poorly they're treated and how the warden and such are assholes...but then you remember that these are supposed to be the worst criminals of the era and don't deserve the sympathy anyway. The only character on the show I can find myself rooting for at all is Soto, but even he's subject to some bizarre moments for the sake of moving the episode along with such a small cast. How the hell does he know how the ventilation system in a building might work just by glancing at it from the outside?

I really like this show especially compared to LOST which I can't stand.

I've watched the first three episodes and I hope it stays on the air for a while.

really, it feels like a poor man's Lost to me without any strong protagonists. most of the elements and plot structure is copied directly from Lost only not handled as well or nearly as interesting.

opinion, of course, but it just feels like a cheap copy so far.

antonz

So why was he tracking down the owners of the other safety deposit boxes?

Was the necklace important at all?

He basically raided safe deposit boxes because as we later learn he lost his entire family and all possessions as a kid and in his era such boxes were used to store family jewels etc so it was kind of a way to feed the monster so to speak in what he was missing.

It is why he was so curious about the husbands story on why he got the necklace for the wife etc. What made it so important to him was what mattered. He would use stories told to him and that would be his life in fooling the tellers too

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
really, it feels like a poor man's Lost to me without any strong protagonists. most of the elements and plot structure is copied directly from Lost only not handled as well or nearly as interesting.

opinion, of course, but it just feels like a cheap copy so far.

Yeah, it does feel like a poor man's LOST but without the mysterious element of the island itself to drive anticipation. The island had a lot to do with Lost's intrigue. Lost also benefited from a great diverse cast that helped keep it interesting, Alcatraz has a very small cast. It's kind of telling that Hurley, a Lost alumni, is the most interesting character on Alcatraz so far. Although the warden is a close second IMHO.

I'm still watching Alcatraz, but it's not gripping me at all. I'm watching in hopes that something along the lines of Walkabout on Lost happens soon.

Someone should take some screenshots of those prisoners they show on the walls and see if they actually do use the same actors in future episodes. That would be really well thought out if they did. The episode was interesting and we finally get a tidbit of info on what is going on. What's behind the door? I have a feeling if this gets renewed they will start going alot deeper into serialized territory next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom