• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Covenant |SPOILER THREAD| With more Christian subtext than BvS

Mr. Sam

If the subsequent films will lead up to the original Alien, it means the space engineer in the original film was David in a suit carrying all the eggs to somewhere and he crashed. Then how did he die with a "chest burst"? He is an Android..

I'm sure Prometheus 3: Alien: Covenant 2 will answer all of your questions.
Lol

Carcetti

Thinking back about the film, I can't stop laughing at the guy who stuck his head into the alien egg. Especially since he'd literally called David 'satan' in the previous scene and he still went for 'it's perfectly safe to stick your head into giant slime egg in my evil dungeon cave'.

Saw this yesterday afternoon.

I'm a huge fan of the first two Aliens and have long hoped for a return to that style of horror and terror, plus somewhat relatable characters and logical situations. So I was kinda excited (but still skeptical) for Covenant, despite the fact that I didn't like Prometheus.

Well, many of the same problems I had from Prometheus also appear here, despite Scott and the cast saying "it's all good, everything's fixed!" (I'm paraphrasing, but you get the gist). Stupid characters doing stupid things, silly dialogue that's unrelated to the film, that android fight (because lol we need a fight between two 'brothers' to show their dominance), that scene where the chestburster raises its hands to David, slipping in blood, poor CGI...I could go on. The more I think about it, the worse it is. It's like Scott has forgotten what made his original masterpiece..well, a perfect organism, and that's sad and very disappointing.

I desperately wanted it to be good, but in the end, it was extremely poor. The actual ending was pretty horrific in terms of David's character though. That could be cool to see.

Roussow

I think I'll have to watch Prometheus again, I recall liking it a lot more than most of ya'll, but I can't mentally track the David from Prometheus becoming what he is in Covenant, I know he did some mean shit, but it just didn't track. Maybe this will change after another viewing, but I certainly liked Prometheus a lot more than Covenant, a few really outstanding sequences aside.

unrealist

Thinking back about the film, I can't stop laughing at the guy who stuck his head into the alien egg. Especially since he'd literally called David 'satan' in the previous scene and he still went for 'it's perfectly safe to stick your head into giant slime egg in my evil dungeon cave'.

When the robot who just befriended an Alien (who beheaded your crewmate) tells you that going near a suspicious looking slimy egg is safe, I am sure it's alright to trust him.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
If the subsequent films will lead up to the original Alien, it means the space engineer in the original film was David in a suit carrying all the eggs to somewhere and he crashed. Then how did he die with a "chest burst"? He is an Android..

Also how did he become 12ft tall? I look forward to more inane Ridley Retcons in the coming years.

daviyoung

Banned

He had faith

Mr. Sam

I think the real reason the company passed him over for captain was because he was as dumb as bricks. This is supported by the text (e.g. when he's dumb as bricks).

JimiNutz

Banned
David is an AI that is incredibly human like (so much so that later models removed this 'flaw' to make him less human).

He's been living on a planet alone for 10 years so I thought he'd kind of gone crazy? That was my take anyway.

liquidtmd

Banned
The actual ending was pretty horrific in terms of David's character though. That could be cool to see.

It could be then again that's how I ended Prometheus. 'Bit of a shit show, bit hey the ending...I bet the sequel when they get to the Engineers homeland will make up for it'.

Fool me once...

Also how did he become 12ft tall? I look forward to more inane Ridley Retcons in the coming years.
And fossilized, remember. I'm sure fossilizing in less than 20 years is totally possible! ;)

David is an AI that is incredibly human like (so much so that later models removed this 'flaw' to make him less human).

He's been living on a planet alone for 10 years so I thought he'd kind of gone crazy? That was my take anyway.

I think that's clear. It's also kinda verbalized when David confuses Byron with Percy Shelley and Walter tells him 'a single bad note can ruin a symphony', he's gone nuts.

RE: the acting Captain and the egg. I honestly don't think I'd be beyond peering into a hatching egg if I was armed with a machine gun and thought I was in control of the situation. Outside of the Alien films my life experience says that things which come out of eggs are young, small, vulnerable, weak and dependent, not face-raping certain death. Similarly his experience of synthetics (particularly David's model) up to that point would be 'helpful and faithful robot friend' and not 'bitter, abused, angry mad scientist'.

Mdk7

RE: the acting Captain and the egg. I honestly don't think I'd be beyond peering into a hatching egg if I was armed with a machine gun and thought I was in control of the situation. Outside of the Alien films my life experience says that things which come out of eggs are young, small, vulnerable, weak and dependent, not face-raping certain death. Similarly his experience of synthetics (particularly David's model) up to that point would be 'helpful and faithful robot friend' and not 'bitter, abused, angry mad scientist'.

Sorry but... nope.
Have you seen the Alien eggs? They are not the average egg you see around.
They are huge, sturdy and clearly menacing looking. They certainly look far from harmless.
Not to consider he's on an hostile planet, one that's being considered home for killer beings who murdered his comrades.

As for David, Walter might have been a helpful and faithful robot friend, but David was really a different beast from the beginning. Alone, stranded on a different planet, with a weird aura, living in a creepy mausoleum full of embalmed corpses and empathizing with a creature who had just slain a member of your crew? That's not a being you would logically trust, come on.
Even more in a dark cellar with monsters on the loose.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Helpful robot friend who yelled NOOOOOOOO when he shot the creature that DECAPITATED his crew.

But never mind the preconceptions of robotic behavior, the goddamn idiot didn't even bother to raise the alarm for the rest of his crew the moment he witnessed that lady's head floating on the pond. WTF???

God the whole thing with how he acted throughout those scenes annoyed me to no end due to the sheer idiocy bring displayed on the screen.

duckroll

You are on a hostile alien world and just witnessed a crazy android who has been lost in space for a decade try to tame an alien which killed your crewmate. Said crazy android shows you that he's been experimenting for years and leads you into a basement with giant alien eggs.

I'm sorry but if your next action is "follow him down and stare into the opening egg" I don't want you as my captain. Or on my crew. Lol.

Frodo

My only wish was a Alien film where people are not making the most dumbest decisions ever and still being outsmarted by the Aliens. That would be terrifying. The way things are no it is just a very frustrating affair to watch those films.

-"How far away from the storm is safe, mother?"
-"80 kilometres"
-"okay let's go down to 40 kilometres then".

-"open the door"
-"I can't"
*opens the door*

mxgt

Banned
Everything and everyone in this movie was dumb though, even the Xenomorph. Embarrassing compared to how smart the one in the original is.

brb just getting trapped in this crane somehow

You are on a hostile alien world and just witnessed a crazy android who has been lost in space for a decade try to tame an alien which killed your crewmate. Said crazy android shows you that he's been experimenting for years and leads you into a basement with giant alien eggs.

I'm sorry but if your next action is "follow him down and stare into the opening egg" I don't want you as my captain. Or on my crew. Lol.

You have a machine gun and you've just gunned down what you presume is an adult alien single handedly, and as far as you're concerned the threat to your crew just died with it. You're following this dumbass android whose 'life' you just saved because the naive robot tried to make friends with an alien which was about to kill him (from your perspective). At no point in your life have you encountered something which is deadly the instant it hatches from an egg, and even so, you have a machine gun. Also, vitally, you're not a soldier and you haven't seen an Alien film.

duckroll

You have a machine gun and you've just gunned down what you presume is an adult alien single handedly, and as far as you're concerned the threat to your crew just died with it. You're following this dumbass android whose 'life' you just saved because the naive robot tried to make friends with an alien which was about to kill him (from your perspective). At no point in your life have you encountered something which is deadly the instant it hatches from an egg, and even so, you have a machine gun. Also, vitally, you're not a soldier and you haven't seen an Alien film.

I'll buy it if this is an alternate reality where mankind never invented horror movies. Maybe. :p

Roussow

Was anyone confused as fuck by the edit when David kills Walter (fake kills him, before he comes back and has a fist fight). I don't know what the fuck David did, his limbs looked all fucked up, and it almost seemed like he did a flip, it was weird, it was so quick, plus there was that one shot where Walter's eyes are all white and he's got this fucked up death grimace. I'm probably making half this shit up, but that was just hard to track.

Mdk7

Was anyone confused as fuck by the edit when David kills Walter (fake kills him, before he comes back and has a fist fight). I don't know what the fuck David did, his limbs looked all fucked up, and it almost seemed like he did a flip, it was weird, it was so quick, plus there was that one shot where Walter's eyes are all white and he's got this fucked up death grimace. I'm probably making half this shit up, but that was just hard to track.

It was confusing as fuck, I agree.
And honestly I even thought he had somehow injected the Walter with the black goo (maybe by having placed a drop over the tip of the sort of knife he used): at that point I was ready to see the first mech-xeno hatching from an android.
Not that I would have been that surprising, considering the shit-show this movie was to me.

daviyoung

Banned

Nah, he just switched him off. I think there's supposed to be some critical exploit on the machines that means they can be disabled so quickly, but Walters unit had an upgrade so he survived/played dead.

Maximus P

Just saw it, ugh....

Ok, as a film on the whole, it's biggest thing for me was it's poor pacing; there is a lot of time in this film (especially the start) where nothing/little happens..

This is my main issue too. It really felt like the whole thing could have been 30 minutes shorter. I think it must have been a good 45 minutes before they even landed on the planet.

I'd also like to add to the ridiculous 'Take a look in the egg' scene with the Faris scene in which she sees a guys back bleeding and walks out of the room locking the door behind her leaving her crew mate and friend behind. What got a chuckle out of me was Tennessee afterwards saying 'I've never seen her scared before'

Really disappointing

Lagamorph

On the other hand, you just walked through a lab of horrors with the Android telling you he's been experimenting with the stuff that created the alien you just killed and which killed a bunch of your crew and that these eggs are made from the same stuff.

UberTag

Helpful robot friend who yelled NOOOOOOOO when he shot the creature that DECAPITATED his crew.

But never mind the preconceptions of robotic behavior, the goddamn idiot didn't even bother to raise the alarm for the rest of his crew the moment he witnessed that lady's head floating on the pond. WTF???

God the whole thing with how he acted throughout those scenes annoyed me to no end due to the sheer idiocy bring displayed on the screen.
When (and if) I choose to watch this film, I'm just going to pretend Billy Crudup is actually not playing Captain Oram but is, in fact, playing his character from Almost Famous, Russell Hammond. I'll justify every stupid thing he does as "oh, it's no big deal, Russell's just on drugs again; he thinks he's a golden god" and all of his questionable judgment will simply be cast away without batting an eyelash.

K' Dash

Is there anyone, and I do mean ANYONE, that's surprised by the 'Grand revelation' in the end that is David-Walter swap? I mean, maybe Scott thought he's being Oh-so-clever with that, but *really* now, you must have an intellectual capacity of a toddler to not expecting that. Heck, a toddler might notice it regardless.

What a weak 'surprise'.

When he was repairing himself I knew it was David, Walter has some form of auto regenerate.

Does anyone know why they cut Franco in the first minute? Was that planned?

Is there anyone, and I do mean ANYONE, that's surprised by the 'Grand revelation' in the end that is David-Walter swap? I mean, maybe Scott thought he's being Oh-so-clever with that, but *really* now, you must have an intellectual capacity of a toddler to not expecting that. Heck, a toddler might notice it regardless.

What a weak 'surprise'.

When he cut his hair. You could see that coming from a mile away.

oh one thing I realised I didnt like about the loader space/alien sequence is that unlike Aliens 2 that establishes how the loader works when Ripley was using it, I had no idea and the action was so badly shot that Daniels running to the arm and capturing it = ??

Its a lot of action but its not good action as there's no ah ha moment and a lot of it is bad cgi

dc89

Will we ever find out why the engineers created humanity and wanted to later destroy humanity.

A rhetorical question if anything because only Scott can answer this...unless he's on GAF?

Will we ever find out why the engineers created humanity and wanted to later destroy humanity.

A rhetorical question if anything because only Scott can answer this...unless he's on GAF?

Humans crucified engineer-Jesus when he came to try to help us out.... yeah, I know :(

Ridley Scott:

"If you look at it as an 'our children are misbehaving down there' scenario, there are moments where it looks like we've gone out of control, running around with armor and skirts, which of course would be the Roman Empire. And they were given a long run. A thousand years before their disintegration actually started to happen. And you can say, 'Let's send down one more of our emissaries to see if he can stop it.' Guess what? They crucified him."

I honestly cannot believe that this is where Ridley Scott decided to take this story; that the classic alien and egg ended up being created by an android from earth.

The 'Alien' sections of the movie are awesome and the 'Prometheus' sections are fucking pretentious nonsense.
What a waste. Doubt Fox will give him any more shots at this.

Maybe Ridley should have just ended it at alien

I thought that the alien should come in, and Ripley harpoons it and it makes no difference, so it slams through her mask and rips her head off.” Next, Scott says, he’d have cut to the tentacles of the alien pressing buttons on the dashboard. “It would mimic Captain Dallas [Tom Skerritt] saying, ‘I’m signing off.’”

He is retroactively destroying everything that was mysterious about alien / aliens with every movie he makes

I honestly cannot believe that this is where Ridley Scott decided to take this story; that the classic alien and egg ended up being created by an android from earth.

I like it. It lends weight to both Ash and Bishop's fascination with the Xenomorphs.

Ash: You still don't understand what you're dealing with, do you? The perfect organism. Its structural perfection is matched only by its hostility.
Lambert: You admire it.
Ash: I admire its purity. A survivor...unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.

Spunkmeyer: That's a nice pet you've got there, Bishop.
Bishop (without sarcasm): Magnificent, isn't it?

CloudWolf

Maybe Ridley should have just ended it at alien

He is retroactively destroying everything that was mysterious about alien / aliens with every movie he makes
What the hell's up with that quote? Sounds like something a very drunk or high person would make up.

Well, I'm not sure if it's still canon because it was effectiely cut out of the film, but I did stumble across this interview:

Movies.com: You throw religion and spirituality into the equation for Prometheus, though, and it almost acts as a hand grenade. We had heard it was scripted that the Engineers were targeting our planet for destruction because we had crucified one of their representatives, and that Jesus Christ might have been an alien. Was that ever considered?

Ridley Scott: We definitely did, and then we thought it was a little too on the nose. But if you look at it as an ”our children are misbehaving down there" scenario, there are moments where it looks like we've gone out of control, running around with armor and skirts, which of course would be the Roman Empire. And they were given a long run. A thousand years before their disintegration actually started to happen. And you can say, ”Lets' send down one more of our emissaries to see if he can stop it. Guess what? They crucified him.
Jesus was an Engineer and we killed Jesus, so the Engineers want to murder us all.

Bumhead

Banned
Been discussing the movie a lot today in the office.

General reaction seems more positive in the outside world than in most of this thread. I personally thought it was mostly enjoyable - with some reservations admittedly - and that's mirrored by the majority of people I've spoken about the film with today.

I have decided though that the chest burster raising its arms to David is absolutely the stupidest thing I've ever witnessed in a cinema.

Toa TAK

Banned
I've watched some of his other recent interviews, I'm fully convinced that Ridley Scott is a very drunk and/or very high person, so it makes total sense he would consider this ending.

Yeah the video version of the interview is amazing: http://ew.com/movies/2017/04/03/alien-ridley-scott-alternate-ending/

He sounds pretty drunk. Lol.
Maybe he's just old?

Like, that's not a put down. The man is up there. The way he speaks reminds me of my own grandfather.

nOoblet16

It's cause dude had faith

Hystzen

I saw film Thursday and can't believe i saw some those scenes in a Alien film. I like promethus even if was dumb as shit at times but i was interested in next part Shaw and head.

Daniels had 3 times kill the xeno at end (she has a fucking gun and xeno was stuck in crane window) but has to kill it in most convoluted way possible impale on second machine.

I wasn't even sure what was happening inside the crane there. It's just that at some point, the bug exploded and the crane opened back up and I was like "oh, I guess this setpiece is over now."

It was not directed well, that bit.

dinoroar

Banned
I wasn't even sure what was happening inside the crane there. It's just that at some point, the bug exploded and the crane opened back up and I was like "oh, I guess this setpiece is over now."

It was not directed well, that bit.

Yeah! Me and my SO said that when we left the cinema. Did the claw just crush it? It looked like she gave it a mine or something, which, if she did, was not set up at all.

Jinroh

Yeah I didn't understand either. It looks like she shot it with something explosive at close range, but it didn't really seem to make sense.

Top Bottom