• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens: Colonial Marines review thread of broken dreams and movie references

I feel so bad for Wii U owners. I remember there being quite a few excited people for the Wii U version due to the gamepad implemention and being the best version by far. But if this is the starting point I dunno how much gamepad can do. This and Rayman delay? Jesus...

Gravijah

I feel so bad for Wii U owners. I remember there being quite a few excited people for the Wii U version due to the gamepad implemention and being the best version by far. But if this is the starting point I dunno how much gamepad can do. This and Rayman delay? Jesus...

Most smart Wii U owners did not buy a Nintendo system to play third party games.

Ridley327

jonesy6ix70.gif

Absolutely flawless.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Well, at least we know Rayman Legends will be such a good multi release.

Gravijah

what the?

Tempering expectations is a sign of intelligence. I bought a Vita because I expected a niche system with niche delivery; as such in the future I will be getting games like Ys, so my expectations were kept in check. With the Wii U I expected the same of the future as I have gotten in the past, a system where first party games are the reason for buying it. With the Orbis, I will be getting third party Japanese games and with the Durango I will be getting the Forza franchise.

eXistor

This severely sullies my fairly high opinion on Gearbox. Not sure I trust them with anything but Borderlands now.

Into

A real shame, the guys behind the game seemed really passionate about Aliens, and they tried to pour that love into a FPS. Granted passion will not guarantee a great game

I was not expecting a 10/10 First person shooters forever changed king of response but i was at least hoping for solid 8's across the board.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Tempering expectations is a sign of intelligence. I bought a Vita because I expected a niche system with niche delivery; as such in the future I will be getting games like Ys, so my expectations were kept in check. With the Wii U I expected the same of the future as I have gotten in the past, a system where first party games are the reason for buying it. With the Orbis, I will be getting third party Japanese games and with the Durango I will be getting the Forza franchise.

I was kidding -- let's not even get into this stuff here. Mods: I'm sorry I brought it up.

Back on track: Boy does this look like one piece of shit.

Sure but why the hell would you buy it at launch? Was the 4th "New" Super Mario Bros. that enticing?

Xater

A real shame, the guys behind the game seemed really passionate about Aliens, and they tried to pour that love into a FPS. Granted passion will not guarantee a great game

I was not expecting a 10/10 First person shooters forever changed king of response but i was at least hoping for solid 8's across the board.

I don't know man. You should probably read the story spoilers in OT. Not sure how much these guys get the Alien franchise.

Loxley

Seems like Gearbox should just stick to Borderlands because they seem incapable of making anything else good.

The Brothers in Arms series begs to differ. Sure, Hell's Highway was disappointing compared to Road to Hill 30 and Earned in Blood, but it was far from a bad game.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Seems like Gearbox should just stick to Borderlands because they seem incapable of making anything else good.
I thought BiA:HH's SP campaign was one of the best in the genre. If the MP was up to the same standard it probably would have had a bigger impact.

MDSLKTR

I hope this turd accomplishes two things:
-Makes people re-appreciate avsp 2010 more, it had its flaws but it's still the best game in both franchises (avsp2 by monolith is god-tier) and is miles ahead of this joke.
-Makes people very wary of future gearbox offerings. Borderlands concept is dumb and really easy to reiterate. The success of it has a lot to do with the untapped market of loot whore games on consoles, other gearbox games are mediocre at best.

StuBurns

Banned
Gearbox are insanely miss.

Borderlands is not at all a well designed game. It was great in that someone managed to turn the Diablo model into a co-op FPS, it was a great idea, but it's a poorly balanced, totally sloppy game with completely middling combat design.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Wow, I was honestly expecting this to be really good. Come to think of it there's no demo and a review embargo? Sounds like they're following some advice on not losing half their sales.

Oh well, less money for me to spend.

I think Gearbox is a solid developer. I love the BiN series, it's very dour and deromantices war, kind of like SpecOps.

I'm pretty sad to hear this is shitty, especially since I have it preordered.

it's just heartbreaking.

This sounded so damn promising a few years ago (when Game Informer did the cover story on it). What the hell happened?

Omikaru

The protagonist of this game has the same name as me, so I'll probably get it cheap at some point just to have that experience of characters referring to me, but blimey. Not a good reception on this one at all.

£3.50 and a GMG voucher for me, I think.

Z3M0G

Keep in mind that we could have had an Obsidian-developed Aliens RPG instead of this tripe.

Wow, that takes me back...

Can someone please remind me (us) what the story behind this was? It went this way instead of that way, or something?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
a_014BillPaxton.jpg

Somebody said Aliens, Gearbox thought they said "Devs who find making good games to be an alien concept sign up."

sarcoa

Review embargo ends midnight 2/12 PST.
Off an hour, it's 1:00am PST.

My site lacks any reliable delay for publishing articles, which I means I get to wake up at 3:55am est and hit go on everything. This is an appropriate end to the Aliens: Colonial Marines review experience.

Top Bottom