• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens: Colonial Marines review thread of broken dreams and movie references

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Aliens, Sonic, Total War, Football Manager.

Three to go, Sega.

a_014BillPaxton.jpg

Somebody said Aliens, Gearbox thought they said "Devs who find making good games to be an alien concept sign up."

hahah I enjoyed this post!

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
It's crazy that Gearbox can go from making Borderlands to this. It's clear where their developmental talent and time went.

ThreeSixty

December 16, 2009. 4:00 AM. THE LIGHT FIELD is the force. The mind. That guides. Controls.
Christ. Things just keep going downhill for Sega. Aliens is the one of their four "pillars" that constitutes their remaining and dwindling presence in the games retail market. For their flagship Alien game to be a critical disaster (and likely a commercial one for any of the hardcore paying attention to reviews) then that's just not positive for them. I think they were extremely unwise to dedicate so much resources to the licensing of single franchise. Anything from their back catalogue would have made more sense (Streets of Rage anyone?). I guess what I'm saying is that I hope this doesn't hurt Sega too much. They're fading away as it is and this is obviously just not a good sign for the future.

Hopefully Sonic Adventure 3 will release at the end of this year as rumoured and sell millions. Stay strong Sega.

foxdvd

every time I die in the new Dead Space game I imagine in my head "game over man"...I would have loved to see Aliens released using visceral engine....it just seems made for a game like Aliens...

Not even, Aliens CM has been in development since December 2006. How is this possible

Yeah. I mean, people shit on Daikatana still for being a quagmire, and that whole game was developed in just over three years. And it's probably a better game too (certainly a much longer single player game, and I bet a better MP game).

Think about that. Took more than twice as long to make something worse than Daikatana. Who knows how many times they started over. Who knows if those aborted levels and gameplay sections were worse than the end product. I'd be surprised if they WERE worse than what was finally released.

Another fun thing to think, 2010's AvP (which looks to be the better game) went into development after Colonial Marines and came out in 2010. It's 2013.

The real question to be answered tomorrow: Which sequel to Aliens is worse, this game or Alien 3?
well, it's clearly the game. Alien 3 is better than Aliens (and not as good as Alien). There's no way this game is better than Aliens. I say that based on the extended version not originally released theatrically though. But even the theatrical cut was a very good film (if the weakest of the first three). people wanted Aliens 2. Fincher made something better.

njean777

Gearbox are insanely miss.

Borderlands is not at all a well designed game. It was great in that someone managed to turn the Diablo model into a co-op FPS, it was a great idea, but it's a poorly balanced, totally sloppy game with completely middling combat design.

How was it not well designed? You can beat everything SP and if you are having problems just search for better guns. Its the same as any rpg ever made almost (except in JRPGS where you have to grind to get better).

ChaosXVI

I cannot express how disappointed I am that somehow a game that looked so good and seemed to have so much potential ended up being complete and utter trash...I've been looking forward to this game ever since it was announced. Then the 2010 AvP game came out and while I thought it was a bit underrated, I expected it to be merely an appetizer to the grand meal that was to be this game...

I just don't get it. 6+ years, millions and millions of dollars, for a game that looks like an Xbox 360 launch title. It doesn't make sense, and SEGA really can't afford this game to bomb...

Probably going to put even more pressure on Sonic Team to keep the whole damn ship afloat...SEGA needs to get bought by one of the console makers and fast.

DemonNite

seriously... how bloody difficult is it to make a damn decent Alien game? so far every recent version has little issues that drive "fans" up the wall because they did it wrong or tried to "gamify" it. If you lost the hardcore fans, you've done a terrible job.

I don't mind how it looks... just give me Left4Dead, with the director mechanic to spawn Aliens.

StuBurns

Banned
How was it not well designed? You can beat everything SP and if you are having problems just search for better guns. Its the same as any rpg ever made almost (except in JRPGS where you have to grind to get better).
That is your standard for a well designed game? It can be completed? Way to reach for the stars.

careksims

Oh dammit! I cancelled my CE... I don't like what I'm reading. Was in media blackout.. That animated GIF Will wait for sale. :(

Did anyone really expect anything different after they put out gameplay videos showing you killing so many aliens in five minutes that you probably exterminated all of them?

Gearbox are insanely miss.

Borderlands is not at all a well designed game. It was great in that someone managed to turn the Diablo model into a co-op FPS, it was a great idea, but it's a poorly balanced, totally sloppy game with completely middling combat design.

Every time someone tries to hammer the point home that A:CM is garbage because Gearbox isn't all that, and points their finger at Borderlands as another bad game...I instantly dismiss their opinion entirely.

Borderlands is one of the best franchises this generation. It created a new genre - the FPSRPG.
Huge areas, loot, humor, hundreds of quests, interesting mobs, drop in/out coop, lots of extra DLC content to keep it going, pleasant art style, and just a ton of fun when playing with 3 friends online.
It's pretty much the ultimate party game.

IGNPitchfork_zpscabe6928.jpg

seriously... how bloody difficult is it to make a damn decent Alien game? so far every recent version has little issues that drive "fans" up the wall because they did it wrong or tried to "gamify" it. If you lost the hardcore fans, you've done a terrible job.

Take any licensed IP and you have similar issues. Look at Batman. Do you realize how many terrible Batman games we had to go through before Rocksteady made Arkham Asylum?

Bumhead

Banned
Take any licensed IP and you have similar issues. Look at Batman. Do you realize how many terrible Batman games we had to go through before Rocksteady made Arkham Asylum?

Oh you've done it now. I'm going to spend the rest of my life waiting for a Game of the Generation Aliens game and are going to be really dissapointed when we don't get one.

Ghah.

Not even Fincher believes this.

Fincher never completed the film. I don't think he's even seen any of the edited versions. He doesn't to my knowledge have an opinion on any of the cuts of the film. He hated the studio and what they did to him though.

If you haven't seen the extended cut you should watch it. It reportedly represents more what Fincher was trying to do (according to the editor he had been working with after the first and second set of shooting to try to figure out what else needed to be shot).

We'll never see a directors cut of it, because he never completed the film he was trying to make. That extended cut is a great fucking film though. The theatrical release of Alien 3 is not as good as Aliens. But then neither is the extended edition of Aliens, or that weird rejigged special edition of Alien. The original theatrical release of Alien is still the best film in the series.

But Aliens is the one that best lends itself to being adapted as a game.

bigace33

Gearbox making a bad game. Never would have saw that coming.

Sarcasm for people who think Borderlands 1 is a good game.

Uhhh, Borderlands 1 is a good game. I'm still gonna get Aliens CM when it hits the proper Bomba price of $10 US Dollars. It can't possibly be that bad...X^\

Did anyone really expect anything different after they put out gameplay videos showing you killing so many aliens in five minutes that you probably exterminated all of them?
I don't think anything but knowledge of the DS version would cause people to expect all the
humanoid enemies

Why do people still think this? The DNF game you got was 95% 12 years of 3D realms BS and 5% Gearbox making it playable so they could release it.
Because, like DNF, we've been expecting this for over a decade.

I can remember the first screen shots of this game; I thought they looked amazing for the time.
3duxZHi.jpg
ipswWoF.jpg
wcFew9u.jpg
1WwsKgg.jpg

why don't they just make an "HD" remake of the original game instead?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2CQZF6wHPE

Effect

Most smart Wii U owners did not buy a Nintendo system to play third party games.

This. Wii U owners should be disappointed about the third part situation but anyone that has grown up with Nintendo and see how things have turned out over the years should know what to expect. Hope for the best but prepare for and perhaps expect the worse. Third party games are icing on the cake as far as I'm concerned when it comes to Nintendo now.

I honestly wrote off Aliens months ago when it was clear there would be no Wii remote pointer controls. That's my deal breaker for FPS on the Wii U. Even more so when the best company when it came to pointer controls for FPS on the Wii turned out what they did on the Wii U with Black Ops 2 before all the patches. ZombiU I made an exception for because of everything else about it but even that still has it for multiplayer.

I knew from the start that Pitchford was just talking nonsense as well as he never backed up any of his claims then went silent. Then the first footage of the game started coming out for the PS3 and 360. I used that as a base line. That was the worse (even if it looked great) it could look. Then word dropped that it wasn't even being done by Gearbox and was being delayed.

I hope Wii U owners don't fall for this if this is what we have to look forward to. Support third party games you are interested in yes. However support quality. Don't buy just anything. That crap was done on the Wii and look what we got after games were bought there.

AvP Classic / 2000 / whatever was already a great game based on the franchise. That marine campaign is something I still go back and play every year. I'd love something that played as well with modern graphics.

But they'd make a dumb COD clone, or an inappropriate Halo clone, just like they did. That AVP is highly randomized, that enemies will hunt you for an entire level... has kept it scary even as the graphics have become terrible. L4D was a massive hit using similar ideas. I don't really understand why no one else has thought to try making an unpredictable horror game since L4D2 rather than a funhouse of scripted linear shocks.

Top Bottom