• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens: Colonial Marines review thread of broken dreams and movie references

I really don't understand the responses where people are saying "This looks like shit, I'll wait until it's $10 bucks." Doesn't your time have any value? Do you really have to play this if it's awful? Don't you have a backlog full of better games?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Every time someone tries to hammer the point home that A:CM is garbage because Gearbox isn't all that, and points their finger at Borderlands as another bad game...I instantly dismiss their opinion entirely.

Borderlands is one of the best franchises this generation. It created a new genre - the FPSRPG.
Huge areas, loot, humor, hundreds of quests, interesting mobs, drop in/out coop, lots of extra DLC content to keep it going, pleasant art style, and just a ton of fun when playing with 3 friends online.
It's pretty much the ultimate party game.

IGNPitchfork_zpscabe6928.jpg
Wait you actually believe borderlands was the first fps RPG? Someone's opinion needs to be dismissed and it ain't stuburns

I highly doubt this game was in development for as long as we think.

More likely it was Alpha Protocol'ed and delayed so Sega could have a major release this quarter, meanwhile the checks to Gearbox to make this game ceased 6+ months ago.

AvP Classic / 2000 / whatever was already a great game based on the franchise. That marine campaign is something I still go back and play every year. I'd love something that played as well with modern graphics.

But they'd make a dumb COD clone, or an inappropriate Halo clone, just like they did. That AVP is highly randomized, that enemies will hunt you for an entire level... has kept it scary even as the graphics have become terrible. L4D was a massive hit using similar ideas. I don't really understand why no one else has thought to try making an unpredictable horror game since L4D2 rather than a funhouse of scripted linear shocks.
Check it out, maybe this will be good:

Zombie Studios reveals "Daylight", an Unreal Engine 4 game
Daylight is a horror game featuring a procedurally-generated environment. With only the light of a cell phone to guide them, players will navigate the halls of a dark building as a woman who’s just woken up. Every experience will be different as rooms are randomly generated, and players will only learn about the game’s story via clues they discover as they explore.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
People saying it sucks for Sega, but someone has to be responsible for the decision to change this from the squad-based game it started out as, into a CoD clone with Aliens assets stuck onto it.

Sissel

I cannot express how disappointed I am that somehow a game that looked so good and seemed to have so much potential ended up being complete and utter trash...I've been looking forward to this game ever since it was announced. Then the 2010 AvP game came out and while I thought it was a bit underrated, I expected it to be merely an appetizer to the grand meal that was to be this game...

I just don't get it. 6+ years, millions and millions of dollars, for a game that looks like an Xbox 360 launch title. It doesn't make sense, and SEGA really can't afford this game to bomb...

Probably going to put even more pressure on Sonic Team to keep the whole damn ship afloat...SEGA needs to get bought by one of the console makers and fast.
The thing is, the game never looked good.

SmithnCo

well, it's clearly the game. Alien 3 is better than Aliens (and not as good as Alien). There's no way this game is better than Aliens. I say that based on the extended version not originally released theatrically though. But even the theatrical cut was a very good film (if the weakest of the first three). people wanted Aliens 2. Fincher made something better.

We've gone too far.

You guys can at least rent it from red box to try it out

That's what I'm doing, shame though. I liked Aliens vs Predator a few years back and was kinda hyped :(

Oh well

Alien 3 is in the weird position of not being this "misunderstood masterpiece" some of it's defenders claim, nor evil incarnate that fucked everybody's chilidhoods like it's many detractors.

It has it's merits, but good God almighty do the faults just don't stop coming. Who would have thought the ALIEN would be the worst/lamest fuckin' part of an ALIEN sequel!?

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Alien 3's second half is just generic, uninspired monster chase trash, with Coca Cola product placement. The first half along with the atmosphere, opening credits, visuals and score are all great.

This game is not good at all, i have been a professional reviewer in my time and i am thinking 4/10

its BAD

(picked it up in australia early)

jimi_dini

Alien 3 is a good movie. Alien 3 Assembly Cut is an awesome movie.

That is all.

God damn. I should finally watch that extended cut. I bought the Alien Head from Japan. And then years later I bought the BluRays. And I still haven't watched the movies.

But yes, Alien 3 in the theatrical cut isn't as bad as everyone makes it out.

Here a nice review.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTG58AFZORI
I will probably buy it, since I dont care about graphics.

He get's it wrong right from the start. 3 years in the making. Dude... wayyy longer then that. Do your research.

*watched the rest*

Man this guy goes from saying it does so many horrible things, then saying it's worth it, and that he thinks in the next hour or so he'll love it which means you Alien fans will love it too. WTF kind of review is this?

Maxrunner

Being a big fan of Alien franchise, i remember my father moking my mother when i was 7 or 8 years old because he let me have a glimpse of the movie while it was running on some tv channel...specially when it was the kane scene...since then i've seen, play and read most of anything alien related....so it's heartbreaking to see this game getting slammed from left and right....well at least avp 1 and 2 were fantastic...

evangd007

Wow, that takes me back...

Can someone please remind me (us) what the story behind this was? It went this way instead of that way, or something?

Sega's official word was, "We have to be careful with the kinds of Alien games we release." And the Alien RPG was almost ready to go gold when this happened too.

Top Bottom