• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens on Wii U 'one of the best looking versions', "More RAM/really great processor"

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
What is a PS360 turbo and at what point do you stop describing any new system as PS360 turbo?
By the sounds of it, Wii U is very similar architecturally to Xbox 360, but somewhat boosted in RAM and processor capability.
Comparable to the Wii being a Gamecube Turbo.
Of course, it's worth noting that being a home mostly to low budget B-games resulted in feats beyond that console being rarely seen on Wii outside of the premiere first party games. That could well be the case with Wii U as well.

Barely more noteworthy than "one of the top four versions of the game!"

If devs were allowed to say anything interesting about Wii U, they would have said it by now. Not until NDAs are lifted and the pinata of Nintendo goodness bursts open at E3 will I ascribe any importance to these vague statements...

Shion

This is what people should expect.
PS360 turbo.

I wish GAF would just accept that and move on. These daily disputes about whether Wii U should be considered 'next-gen' are incredibly tiresome, especially since Nintendo have made it clear they don't see high specs as a priority.

The "we're targeting core gamers this time" quote, just fucked up people's expectations.
They shouldn't have said anything like that if all they intended to offer was a Wii 2 (which was the most logical thing for them to do anyway).

Why are you people arguing every day? Is that so hard to understand/accept?

To be fair, it wouldn't have left the Wii U speculation thread, but people - with their motives, initially started creating threads on the really ambiguously sourced and negative stories -- because shock horror, they garner attention and lulz. So now every bit of news one way or the other is posted as a new thread in order to effectively 'counter' the bad press. Its tit for tat... but I wouldn't blame one side or the other over this.

Donnie

I never heard someone say processor and mean gpu. He is talking about CPU which should be a beast. Since its a updated version of the one that's in the x360.

This goes along with most of the leaks. More ram, better CPU but weaker/ equal GPU. Look likes the wiiu will be in the same spot as wii.

"GPU" = Graphics Processing Unit and CPU = "Central Processing Unit".

Both processors and no what you're suggesting doesn't go along with most of the leaks. Most of the info we have suggests the CPU will be a more efficient/optimised version of Xenon while the GPU will be a more advanced and more powerful processor than Xenos.

'Late in the cycle' = Wii U not next-gen confirmed

Weren't there similar comments made about the Dreamcast? Like it was considered by some to be a stop-gap between N64/PSX and PS2?

If that's the case, I'll take it (provided the price is in line).

ZAK

How does " one of the best looking versions" equal superior to Xbox/PS3? So out of four versions it's "one of" the best looking versions.

You could say the Xbox 360 version is one of the best looking versions to. Such a meaningless statement.
This. This statement is made as though there are dozens of versions. "One of the best" is a very empty thing to say.

You could say the Xbox 360 version is one of the best looking versions to. Such a meaningless statement.

Step into his shoes. He wants to say something positive about this version of the game, but he's under NDAs and he doesn't want to rubbish any other version because he still has to sell those as well. Unlike people on this forum, Gearbox have absolutely no incentive whatsoever to neatly order their multiplatform SKUs in order of greatness.

NinjaBoiX

Oh yeah thanks for reminding me :) I forgot Sony and MS will definitely bring out a console 15-20x as powerful as 360, that's one of those "facts" on this forum.
They don't need to be anything like 15-20x more powerful to make the Wii U look old hat, 2-3 times would do that. And as far as the rumours go so far, we should be getting around 6x the power at least.

So yeah, the Wii U will be pretty much obsolete, technologically speaking, in a year or two. I don't see why you are showing such resistance to this idea, it isn't pie in the sky stuff, it's going to happen.

iceatcs

Wii U is more powerful than the current-gen and less powerful than the next-gen.

Why are you people arguing every day? Is that so hard to understand/accept?

Well there are more than 2 sides. There are some people suspect Wii U might not able to graphic capable (GPU only) as 360 and PS3. Other believe Wii U will be equal to next Xbox; or PS4 and 720 won't get big leap. And finally, probably the crazy one believe Wii U > all next gen.

That's why we got all argues from all the sides.

KageMaru

I did, that's why I said second best.

Oops I'm sorry, I really don't know how I missed you saying "second" =p

Never mind on my dumbass.

I never heard someone say processor and mean gpu. He is talking about CPU which should be a beast. Since its a updated version of the one that's in the x360.

This goes along with most of the leaks. More ram, better CPU but weaker/ equal GPU. Look likes the wiiu will be in the same spot as wii.

Yeah I know people don't usually mean the GPU when they say processor, but I was looking at things from a layman's perspective. =p Besides a GPU is a processor too.

Not sure why you think the CPU should be a beast, but ok

wrowa

He's the director of Aliens which is in development for 360, PS3 and WiiU. He's talking specifically about Aliens development. Why on earth would he compare WiiU to two consoles that Aliens isn't in development for and that he may not have even seen yet?

Another question, why is logic so rare on the internet?

What the heck are you even talking about? Judging by his wording it doesn't sound as if the Wii U is considerably more powerful than the PS3 or Xbox 360 to a degree that he doesn't seem to count it as what he defines as a next-generation platform.

I've never, not even once, said anything about PS4 or Xbox 3. So what's your point? Sure, it's possible that those consoles won't be a huge step up above current generation hardware either, but that's not relevant to what I said.

Vire

All he is saying is that it is one of the best looking version of the current cycle (generation).

That's it.

Anyone trying to misconstrue what he's saying into something else has a hidden agenda.

I took a look and they thought posting this would be some kind of "I TOLD YOU SO!" to all of the doubters, even though it does nothing but cause more doubt.

So yes.
:lol

StuBurns

Banned
Well there are more than 2 sides. There are some people suspect Wii U might not able to graphic capable (GPU only) as 360 and PS3. Other believe Wii U will be equal to next Xbox; or PS4 and 720 won't get big leap.

That's why we got all argues from all the sides.
Both sides are on crack.

There is no conceivable chance the WiiU won't outperform the PS360 on a technical level. And based on what people like Epic and Crytek have said, there is no conceivable chance the PS480 won't be a very typically significant 'next-gen' leap.
Oops I'm sorry, I really don't know how I missed you saying "second" =p

Never mind on my dumbass.
Someone else said it too, so it's not you, I must have just worded it poorly.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I dunno. For every frustratingly blind and hyper defensive Nintendo fan there's an equally childish and embarrassing troll goading the former. Console announcement/rumour threads tend to bring out the worst in everybody.

Oh well. At the very least, they make for great check lists when cleaning out shop.

KageMaru

I'd still like to know why the director at Gearbox is to be believed but the director from Vigil doesn't know what he's talking about.

Oh yeah thanks for reminding me :) I forgot Sony and MS will definitely bring out a console 15-20x as powerful as 360, that's one of those "facts" on this forum.

You do realize incredibly low end GPU's absolutely destroy PS360 today, right?

And by low end I mean, 6670, 7750, 7770...certain AMD APU's with 480 SP's...cards that are the lowest of the low in PC gaming world.

Not a 15-20 gap, but still destroy is the right word.

I wont even express my disappointment again at Nintendo's choices, suffice to say you have to work pretty hard to NOT clearly outclass PS360 in 2012.

Donnie

Xbox 3 and Playstation 4 that will launch next year.

Whole generation behind. Wii U launched this year will be last-gen tech next year.

You have all the specs? Great post them? Its an idiotic statement to make any claims on "generational" gaps at this point. We have no idea what PS4/XBox3 will bring to the table nor do you know exactly what WiiU has. There isn't even a definition of generational power.

They don't need to be anything like 15-20x more powerful to make the Wii U look old hat, 2-3 times would do that. And as far as the rumours go so far, we should be getting around 6x the power at least.

So yeah, the Wii U will be pretty much obsolete, technologically speaking, in a year or two. I don't see why you are showing such resistance to this idea, it isn't pie in the sky stuff, it's going to happen.

I think next years E3 is going to be even better than this year.

Peoples' expectations of the 360 and PS3 successors are interesting. There are issues around power/wattage, cooling and other costs that are going to drive some interesting decisions from Microsoft and Sony. We're either going to get more $399-499+ boxes, and they'll be big again... or... there is going to be some megaton level disappointment when people realise how far short of cutting edge PCs they fall. It'll be very interesting too to see what use devs make of any extra power, and whether the difference between Wii-U and next gen justifies any added cost.

We've been told the dev kits had 3GB. Going by the usual process of halving this number for final retail units, we've discussed it would be realistic to have 1.5GB. However, this was before the V4 improvements statement we received, so it may be up to 2GB by now.

3GB for the dev kits? Where is this info coming from?

NinjaBoiX

Ok let me spell it out for you, you have no idea how powerful any next generation console will be..
Apart from many reports stating the new Xbox to have around 6x the power of this gen. Hardly concrete info, granted, but equally, it's not like we have absolutely no idea on the specs. Why are you hanging onto this? There is no two ways about it, Sony/MS's next consoles will be vastly more powerful than the current ones, and as Wii U is comparable to current gen, it will be severely lacking in the power department.

Do we have to spell it out for you?

;P

Wait, you think Sony/MS will release consoles comparable to modern day top end PC's? Tell me your joking before I piss myself laughing.
I saw a commercial on tv the other day that was for medication if you have problems controlling your bladder. Or maybe it was for an adult diaper, I'm not positive. Either way, you shouldn't have to worry about dirty pants, there is a solution out there for you.

Donnie

So many Nintendo fanboys in this thread that take any hint of criticism thrown at this/Nintendo and jump on it and act like any negativity is completely out of line. Is the official WiiU thread this bad, too? Yikes.

Can you do me a favour and finish that sentence..

J-Rock

Banned
Why is there a new thread for every new developer comment about the Wii U? We have a Wii U thread for this kind of stuff.

"They’re late in the cycle so they’ve got this really great processor.”"

This says everything. This won't be a next gen machine. Just a really good current gen console.
lol. This is by definition a next gen system whether you like it or not. It's the NEXT generational system from Nintendo. The Nintendo Wii was released during the generation of the PS3 and Xbox 360 and the Wii U releasing is the beginning of a NEW generation for consoles.

Anyone else fear they will lose their sanity before the new consoles actually come out?

Nope. I'm fully enjoying the schizophrenic like response from both sides after a new article is released. Quite entertaining if you ask me.

We'll never know the exact specs of the console.

We likely will...just like we know iPad 3 specs though Apple will never tell us...

For starters, theres a certain amount of "crack it open and count the ram chips" you can do, as well as other forensics work you can do on the CPU/GPU (manufacturer, size etc). If absolutely nothing else, we'll know the RAM amount from here.

Then the real details will come from devs leaking the exact specs. Go look at Wikis of PS3 and 360, they're pretty detailed. And Wii, too, which Nintendo never gave any specs of...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii#Technical_specifications

jman2050

I get a kick out of watching people trying to come up with simple answers to very complicated questions that don't even provide enough information yet to be answered in any satisfactory way.

It's like watching political arguments, only slightly more reasonable.

gamingeek

I'd still like to know why the director at Gearbox is to be believed but the director from Vigil doesn't know what he's talking about.

Probably because two Vigil developers working on Wii U contradicted him. One of them at the same event.

This is Vigil in 2011

"Yeah, just because the hardware is more powerful and it will have some extra features that I think will actually be useful to people playing the game. With it’s controller, [the Wii U version of Darksiders II] might be the best version of the game."

This is the recent video interview from the art director

2 minutes 50 seconds

DonMigs85

We likely will...just like we know iPad 3 specs though Apple will never tell us...

For starters, theres a certain amount of "crack it open and count the ram chips" you can do, as well as other forensics work you can do on the CPU/GPU (manufacturer, size etc). If absolutely nothing else, we'll know the RAM amount from here.

Then the real details will come from devs leaking the exact specs. Go look at Wikis of PS3 and 360, they're pretty detailed. And Wii, too, which Nintendo never gave any specs of...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii#Technical_specifications

I still wish I knew for sure whether RSX is clocked at 550 or 500 MHz.

alphaNoid

Banned
"One of the best" ? Um to me that reads like the WiiU version is on par with one of the other platforms.. mostly a console else they would have said it was the best console version. WiiU hardware likely on par or slightly better than current gen is my guess :/

We still don't know the full specs for the 3DS, and the PS3 and 360 specs were released by Sony and MS.

We probably won't know the exact specs for the GPU and CPU. We already know they are made by AMD and IBM respectively, but the speeds and such might never be released.

And where are these specs for the iPad 3 you're talking about?

Top Bottom