• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens on Wii U 'one of the best looking versions', "More RAM/really great processor"

Wii U has “more RAM” than other current consoles and “really great processor”, says Aliens: Colonial Marines director.

Well the iPad 3 also has more RAM than other current consoles and a "really great processor". It's still quite inferior to the PS360.

Just sayin.

"One of the best" ? Um to me that reads like the WiiU version is on par with one of the other platforms.. mostly a console else they would have said it was the best console version. WiiU hardware likely on par or slightly better than current gen is my guess :/

it is a port you know -_-

Donnie

By the sounds of it, Wii U is very similar architecturally to Xbox 360, but somewhat boosted in RAM and processor capability.
Comparable to the Wii being a Gamecube Turbo.
Of course, it's worth noting that being a home mostly to low budget B-games resulted in feats beyond that console being rarely seen on Wii outside of the premiere first party games. That could well be the case with Wii U as well.

There's no info at all to suggest that 360/WiiU will be comparable to GC/Wii. Quite the opposite in fact. Wii was simply a GC clocked 50% higher with 64MB more ram. WiiU will use a much more modern GPU than 360 (DX9 vs DX10.1 or DX11) and while the CPU's will be similar in number of cores/threads and both Power based they are far from just different clocked versions of the same CPU. One is in order execution with only 1MB L2 cache and the other is out of order execution with 3MB L2 cache, that's already a fair difference.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Wii U will be one year behind the other next gen consoles.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Hot prediction: this "BEST VERSION" noise goes REAL FUCKING QUIET when X720/PS4 roll into town.

truth of the matter : Wii U ports will offer minor bumps and, in best case scenarios, include brilliant uses of the controller.

That's it.

I still wish I knew for sure whether RSX is clocked at 550 or 500 MHz.

it's 500 from what b3d discovered back in the day. ram and gpu were both slightly downclocked at the last minute... in turn sony removed all clock speeds from all official ps3 specs from that time forward to this day.

wiki says it's 550. they are wrong. a little fanboyism at work i think. i edited to the correct 500 once long ago and it got edited right back to 550 so oh well. guess that doesnt prove my point about knowing console specs very well, but consider it an abberation.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
There's no info at all to suggest that 360/WiiU will be comparable to GC/Wii. Quite the opposite in fact. Wii was simply a GC clocked 50% higher with 64MB more ram. WiiU will use a much more modern GPU than 360 (DX9 vs DX10.1 or DX11) and while the CPU's will be similar in number of cores/threads and both Power based they are far from just different clocked versions of the same CPU. One is in order execution with only 1MB L2 cache and the other is out of order execution with 3MB L2 cache, that's already a fair difference.
Fair points.

Nonetheless, I expect Wii U games to be technically much more in the ballpark of PS360 than Sony and Microsoft's next-gen offerings. So there's your answer.

Donnie

Apart from many reports stating the new Xbox to have around 6x the power of this gen. Hardly concrete info, granted, but equally, it's not like we have absolutely no idea on the specs. Why are you hanging onto this? There is no two ways about it, Sony/MS's next consoles will be vastly more powerful than the current ones, and as Wii U is comparable to current gen, it will be severely lacking in the power department.

Do we have to spell it out for you?

;P

6x as powerful? WiiU could easily be 3x as powerful based on what we know. Making XBox 3 twice as powerful as WiiU.. is that your generation gap then?

You've already spelled out your argument, its unbelievably flimsy.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
6x as powerful? WiiU could easily be 3x as powerful based on what we know. Making XBox 3 twice as powerful as WiiU.. is that your generation gap then?

holy
fucking
shit

Ricky_R

I'm honestly just glad that we will get a powerful Nintendo console. I don't care about the whole "it is or it isn't more powerful than the PS360" crap.

I've been trying to get into Nintendo since our fallout after the SNES, but the Wii didn't interest me much in part due to the poor visuals. So... it excites me a bit to see what can these guys do with more power now even if it's with the same old franchises. I haven't played a Mario game on a console since Mario64.

Good times awaits us all. Gamers I mean.

SykoTech

"They’re late in the cycle so they’ve got this really great processor.”"

This says everything. This won't be a next gen machine. Just a really good current gen console.

This is what people should expect.
PS360 turbo.

I wish GAF would just accept that and move on. These daily disputes about whether Wii U should be considered 'next-gen' are incredibly tiresome, especially since Nintendo have made it clear they don't see high specs as a priority.

Yep. Already accepted this myself. It'll be amusing to watch the people still in denial slowly meltdown at E3 and over the course of the next couple of years prior to the PS4 and 720.

Hot prediction: this "BEST VERSION" noise goes REAL FUCKING QUIET when X720/PS4 roll into town.

Hot prediction: your prediction will be wrong.

As long as all three consoles do something different, you'll still have people claiming 'best version'. You will then of course have the ridiculous nonsense of 720/PS4 fans arguing which version is better (graphically), when both get absolutely smoked by PC and maybe other devices not too far down the road, like Steam box.

I don't know why people are trying to act all superior, indignant and pretentious as though this console wars shit hasn't always existed here. There are truly some obnoxious and unreasonable posters in these threads.

Donnie

Well the iPad 3 also has more RAM than other current consoles and a "really great processor". It's still quite inferior to the PS360.

Just sayin.

Which director of a game being released on 360/PS3 said that Ipad3 has a really great processor?, is it Mr nobody from don't exist studios?

Coolwhip

Banned
Cool, another day another thread about WiiU POWERRRRR.

The replies are the same too but with a slightly different angle.

Ridley327

truth of the matter : Wii U ports will offer minor bumps and, in best case scenarios, include brilliant uses of the controller.

That's it.

I'm kinda curious to see we'll react when the 720/PS4 launches are filled with the same current gen port-ups, but I guess with those systems and the Wii U, those really shouldn't be the focus of what those systems can actually do.

...like that would ever stop us from complaining!

lol. This is by definition a next gen system whether you like it or not. It's the NEXT generational system from Nintendo. The Nintendo Wii was released during the generation of the PS3 and Xbox 360 and the Wii U releasing is the beginning of a NEW generation for consoles.

There's a reason he said late in the cycle other then early in the next cycle.

gamingeek

"One of the best" ? Um to me that reads like the WiiU version is on par with one of the other platforms.. mostly a console else they would have said it was the best console version. WiiU hardware likely on par or slightly better than current gen is my guess :/

If you read the full quote, I think it's pretty obvious that is is saying it will be the best console version of the game technically:

"I think the machine itself will be one of the best looking versions of the game because you know, they've got more RAM then you know, some of the other things (platforms) and because they're late in the cycle so they've got this really great processor and some of the other stuff. This particular engine has the potential to really cross the generational gap between now and then."

If you look at it alongside what Gearbox said last year:

“We've got the [Aliens: Colonial Marines] engine running on the Wii U, and as far as the console goes, you're going to see textures at a resolution that you haven't seen on [the current] generation.”

And take this quote from 6 days ago, which is more talking about gameplay features:

"The Wii U version has so much more to offer ... no other platform can do what the Wii U can do," he says. "If you love [Xbox] 360 games, you are not used to being in a world where you have this new interface. But once you get used to that, you imagine the possibilities; there are some opportunities that are just not possible on any platform that does not have that device."

Donnie

Is that reason because he's the director of Aliens and is comparing versions of that game which isn't in development for whatever Sony or MS will come out with next?

I mean do you not think that if he was talking about a game being developed for WiiU/PS4 and XBox 3 he would then say "WiiU was quite early in the cycle so its processor is not so great". There is such a thing as context.

NeoGohan

Banned
It sure as shit should have more RAM, my 4 1/2 year old laptop has more RAM than the current consoles, as do most handhelds/phones now.

I interpret his "one of the best looking" statements to mean that it will be behind the PC version (obviously) but probably ahead of 360/ps3. It would be embarrassing if it wasn't.

Because comparing the RAM of a laptop with the RAM on the consoles makes perfect sense

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Nintendo is building this from the ground up, folks. They're not going to nerf it. They want to have the same third party games that are on their competitor's boxes.

How does " one of the best looking versions" equal superior to Xbox/PS3? So out of four versions it's "one of" the best looking versions.

You could say the Xbox 360 version is one of the best looking versions to. Such a meaningless statement.

The key thing to remember here is that this is a CURRENT GENERATION port. Wii U Is not the lead platform.

The worst case scenario is that it only looks better than either 360 or PS3 (which is hard to believe considering the visual parity between the two is negligible at best) while the best case scenario is that it looks better than both those systems but worse than modern day PCs...

Even in the worst case scenario, it may look visually on par, but again it is a port. The system is already confirmed to have a superior CPU and more ram than current consoles with an rumored GPU that is at the very least on par with current gen. This is all enough to make games superior to current gen on just about every level at the worst case scenario when developers actually make the time to build around the Wii U.

Is that reason because he's the director of Aliens and is comparing versions of that game which isn't in development for whatever Sony or MS will come out with next?

I mean do you not think that if he was talking about a game being developed for WiiU/PS4 and XBox 3 he would then say "WiiU was quite early in the cycle so its processor is not so great". There is such a thing as context.

Logic has no place in this discussion.

Busty

Banned
Martel says it will also be one of the best looking...

Ever heard the phrase 'faint praise is damning praise'.

If it is definitively superior to the PS360 versions but (presumably) lagging the PC version why not say so?

I realise that it's all semantics arguing about he said but to me it's really what he didn't say.

KageMaru

Probably because two Vigil developers working on Wii U contradicted him. One of them at the same event.

This is Vigil in 2011

"Yeah, just because the hardware is more powerful and it will have some extra features that I think will actually be useful to people playing the game. With it’s controller, [the Wii U version of Darksiders II] might be the best version of the game."

This is the recent video interview from the art director

2 minutes 50 seconds

I understand that explanation, but I was mostly referring to all the people who were downplaying what the Vigil director said strictly because he was a director and not an engineer. I'm sure if I really cared, I could find some of the same people making those comments now believing this director.

I still wish I knew for sure whether RSX is clocked at 550 or 500 MHz.

RSX is highly protected by NDA so you'll never get confirmation on that even though it really is 500MHz.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Step into his shoes. He wants to say something positive about this version of the game, but he's under NDAs and he doesn't want to rubbish any other version because he still has to sell those as well. Unlike people on this forum, Gearbox have absolutely no incentive whatsoever to neatly order their multiplatform SKUs in order of greatness.

No I get that. I'm just amused at the stupid quote stating that "one of the best versions of the game" suggests it's superior to the 360/PS3 version. It doesn't suggest anything other than the U version will be nice.

The fact that he said 'late in the cycle' tells me he considers it to be PS3/360 range, which says enough for me. They'll get my money anyway at some point because of Zelda. Brand new Zelda though, not a port.

Haunted

We've been told the dev kits had 3GB. Going by the usual process of halving this number for final retail units, we've discussed it would be realistic to have 1.5GB. However, this was before the V4 improvements statement we received, so it may be up to 2GB by now.
Yeah but it's Nintendo and they're always a generation behind (proof) so we have to halve that number again.

Azure J

I took a look and they thought posting this would be some kind of "I TOLD YOU SO!" to all of the doubters, even though it does nothing but cause more doubt.

So yes.

Please don't speak for everyone who posts in that thread especially if this opinion is what you got at a glance.

@Ubermatik - lherre didn't specify a memory amount, he only stated that the kits have 2GB+ of memory implying that the retail system will come with 1GB at the least all while stating that out of this 2GB+ kit, developers (or his dev team) were working with the upper bound of this memory amount.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The key thing to remember here is that this is a CURRENT GENERATION port. Wii U Is not the lead platform.

The worst case scenario is that it only looks better than either 360 or PS3 (which is hard to believe considering the visual parity between the two is negligible at best) while the best case scenario is that it looks better than both those systems but worse than modern day PCs...

Even in the worst case scenario, it may look visually on par, but again it is a port. The system is already confirmed to have a superior CPU and more ram than current consoles with an rumored GPU that is at the very least on par with current gen. This is all enough to make games superior to current gen on just about every level at the worst case scenario when developers actually make the time to build around the Wii U.

I honestly don't doubt that U will be marginally surperior to the 6-7yr old Sony/Microsoft systems. I just don't get why a thread was made about such a pointless comment. I guess both sides are looking for ammo to prove the system is either weaker or stronger than current consoles.

KillGore

Its obvious WiiU will have 1-2GB of RAM yes, I think its the "really great processor" bit that's interesting, as well as the general excitement from him about how the game can look on WiiU.

Would be funny if it ended up with 768mb of overall RAM.

He's not talking about the game at that point, he's talking about the console. One company making multiple consoles for the same generation isn't exactly unprecedented you know. You don't consider a new generation just because there is a new console, there needs to be a considerable leap, the way he said it still belongs to this cycle means he doesn't consider it worthy enough for the next one.

Well to me, it seems like people have got high expectations, on both ends.

The Wii U won't be a full generational leap, and it won't be super powerful, but at the same time, the definition of 'next gen' to some people is distorted anyway - Sony and Microsoft won't be releasing the uber powerful, modern-day-pc-comparable machines you think they will.
People are probably going to try and distort the truth, but even the most hardcore Nintendo fan never expected a full generation jump from Nintendo. Most of us are plenty excited by the idea of Nintendo making the PS2 of the next gen roundup though. The console just needs to stay within close distance of the next gen ones. I certainly don't want a Wii U the size of a 360 with the price tag of a PS3.

NinjaBoiX

You've already spelled out your argument, its unbelievably flimsy.
So your argument is that Nintendo have just been incredibly modest, and their console is actually three times as powerful as we have been led to believe? And if that incredibly unlikely scenario came to be, Xbox 3 would only be around twice as powerful.

Wow, OK. That's...insightful.

Donnie

I have read that sentence four or five times and I just cannot get my head around it at all.

What don't you get there? IF XBox 3 is 6x as powerful as 360 (which is not my suggestion but his) and WiiU is 3x as powerful as 360 then XBox 3 would be 2x as powerful as WiiU.

Again, this is Nintendo's next generational console. I don't care if this thing is as weak as the Wii is. This IS the next generation Nintendo console just as the PS4 will be Sony's and the next Xbox will be Microsoft's next generation console. The innards don't define that. The very fact its the NEXT release is what defines it. The Wii was the next gen console for Nintendo in 2006 even though it was barely a step up from the previous gen.

Please don't speak for everyone who posts in that thread especially if this opinion is what you got at a glance.

@Ubermatik - lherre didn't specify a memory amount, he only stated that the kits have 2GB+ of memory implying that the retail system will come with 1GB at the least all while stating that out of this 2GB+ kit, developers (or his dev team) were working with the upper bound of this memory amount.

Ah yes that's true, my apologies.

Donnie

So your argument is that Nintendo have just been incredibly modest, and their console is actually three times as powerful as we have been led to believe? And if that incredibly unlikely scenario came to be, Xbox 3 would only be around twice as powerful.

Wow, OK. That's...insightful.

Erm no... The person I replied to mentioned XBox3 possibly being 6x 360. I said that in that case if WiiU ends up 3 x 360 that would leave XBox3 only twice as powerful as WiiU which is hardly a generational leap. It did not say any of it was fact, I was giving him an example based on what he'd said.

By the way 3 x 360 is in no way unrealistic for WiiU. If you've been lead to believe otherwise then that comes down to you only being interested in rumours that match your views. I mean we know WiiU has at least 3x as much RAM as 360.

NinjaBoiX

What don't you get there? IF XBox 3 is 6x as powerful as 360 (which is not my suggestion but his) and WiiU is 3x as powerful as 360 then XBox 3 would be 2x as powerful as WiiU.
But Wii U isn't 3 times as powerful as 360. Sorry, I'm really struggling to see your point here. You basically said, "he'd be completely wrong if this incredibly unlikely chain of events happened."

Yes. Yes, I guess I would. Kind of how I'd be wrong if I said the sun won't come out tomorrow.

Vire

But Wii U isn't 3 times as powerful as 360. Sorry, I'm really struggling to see your point here. You basically said, "he'd be completely wrong if this incredibly unlikely chain of events happened."

Yes. Yes, I guess I would. Kind of how I'd be wrong if I said the sun won't come out tomorrow.

Where on Earth are they getting this "3 times as powerful as 360" stuff?

Top Bottom